Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Life in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Life in Armenia

Do they still eat dog meat? I will not stand for that.

Comment

^^^South Korea only I think.....I knew a North Korean, very good guy.
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
        Do they still eat dog meat? I will not stand for that.
        I think in that part of the world they will eat anything with four legs ..... except the table!!

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
        Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
        Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Artashes View Post
          I have known a number of Korean nationals in my lifetime.
          100% have been trim of body with no excessive fat bulges.
          I count a couple of these people as personal friends. Their honesty & consideration of others has been exemlory.
          A rather decent & kind folk.
          Personally know well 4 who are older than I (64+) that looked surprisingly youthful.
          Although I don't know about above posts contents, I can say this ... The Korean people's modesty in amount of food consumed per meal & vegetable intact is to be admired.
          Also, these people have a good intellect in my opinion.
          Definitely worth considering this people's thoughts on health matters IMO.
          Artashes

The reason for posting this item was to prick our consciences by maybe asking ourselves
          how many homeless people could have been accommodated with the amount of money spent (wasted?) by
          a corrupt politician of a poor country loaded with multitude of social problems,
          instead of seeking “eternal life and internal power “

It also shows how “lions being lead by donkeys” culture has permeated our leadership mentality.

Last edited by londontsi; 01-26-2014, 01:27 AM.
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
            The reason for posting this item was to prick our consciences by maybe asking ourselves
            how many homeless people could have been accommodated with the amount of money spent (wasted?) by
            a corrupt politician of a poor country loaded with multitude of social problems,
            instead of seeking “eternal life and internal power “

It also shows how “lions being lead by donkeys” culture has permeated our leadership mentality.

Understandable & reasonable. Also appropriate.
            As I don't know anymore than what was contained in your post, I cannot speak about the details.
            I can take some guesses though.
            The tycoon paid for everything on Serj's account.
            Was the tycoon seeking special treatment from Serj? Has this tycoon received undue privilege from Serj's quarter previously?
            This guy & relationship needs be tracked & scrutinized intensely,IMO.
            Is Serj trying to get benefits for Armenia from tycoon?
            Can Serj bring back anything of value for his country because of this travel?
            South Korea has much to offer Armenia.
            We do have diplomatic relations.
            Did this trip further our diplomatic dialog with South Korea?
            On the surface it does look bad, maybe?
            Artashes

Comment

Understandable & reasonable. Also appropriate.
              As I don't know anymore than what was contained in your post, I cannot speak about the details.
              http://asbarez.com/118795/sarkisian%...n-south-korea/
              The tycoon paid for everything on Serj's account.
              Probably, mistake number 1
              Was the tycoon seeking special treatment from Serj? Has this tycoon received undue privilege from Serj's quarter previously?
              From the picture it appears its Ara Abrahamyan.
              Through his effort and leadership no doubt contributed a lot to economic development of Armenia.
              I would not fault him for gaining access to the president. Everybody is at it. All presidents of the world have to handle this “problem”.

This guy & relationship needs be tracked & scrutinized intensely,IMO.
              There is no need. He is the leader of Armenians in Russia.
              Is Serj trying to get benefits for Armenia from tycoon?
              No doubt he is a capable man and some influence. His patriotic credentials are not in question.
              Can Serj bring back anything of value for his country because of this travel?
              Unlikely, the only time he would have seen the Korean president would have on the local TV.

Had be seen the Korea president he would probably asked for some economic aide or support.
              Not the best setting for such an eventuality.
              We do have diplomatic relations.
              yes
              Did this trip further our diplomatic dialog with South Korea?
              Unlikely, it was a private visit and daily “treatment”.
              When you go to develop relations with a country you do not operate from a $200,000 per week spa.
              On the surface it does look bad, maybe?
              For sure, how will he look when he goes abroad to ask for foreign help next time.
              What will the nation as a whole feel about it.

Last edited by londontsi; 01-26-2014, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Armenia: Should Workers Be Forced to Save for Retirement?
                January 27, 2014 - 2:03pm, by Gayane Abrahamyan

A US-supported pension-reform project has ground to a halt in Armenia amid a popular outcry over whether the state can compel taxpayers to plan for retirement.

Pensioners account for roughly 18 percent of Armenia’s population of 2.8 million, according to the National Statistical Service. Currently, retirees receive monthly state pensions of 25,000-40,000 drams ($61-$100) -- amounts generally not deemed adequate to meet basic living expenses. Already struggling with a relatively weak economy, many Armenian families don’t have enough income to help out elderly relatives.

Citing the current economic environment, officials in Yerevan are arguing, with backing from the US Agency for International Development (USAID), that working Armenians should start saving for their own retirement. Under a plan the government hopes to launch later this year, wage earners born after January 1, 1974, would have 5 percent of their monthly salaries withheld by the government. The withholdings would be placed in an interest-earning pension fund that could be tapped by individuals only after they turned 63. The state would guarantee 80 percent of the deposited monies.

Many taxpayers are objecting to the forced-savings plan. In response to a motion from civil-society activists and the country’s four main opposition parties (the Heritage Party, Armenian National Congress, Armenian Revolutionary Federation and the Prosperous Armenia Party), the Constitutional Court, Armenia’s highest judicial body, ruled on January 24 to postpone the reform’s introduction pending a March 28 review of its constitutionality.

Memories of lost savings in the state-run Sberbank after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union drive much of the current misgivings about the pension plan initiative. “They deceived us back then!” shouted 85-year-old pensioner Greta Shahumian, holding high two Soviet-era bank account books at a well-attended January 18 rally in Yerevan against the reform. “Now again they are trying to pocket your money -- don’t trust them!”

Meanwhile, economist Artsvik Minasian, an MP for the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF), contended the reform would be “economically disastrous” by “increasing both taxes and the shadow economy, reducing the number of jobs, decreasing GDP . . . [and] triggering another wave of migration.”

President Serzh Sargsyan’s administration remains committed to the reform. On January 24, Sargsyan predicted that the pension plan would “later be called historic,” the president’s office reported. The Central Bank has licensed C-QUADRAT Ampega Asset Management Armenia, a joint-venture involving an Austrian and a German investment firm (C-QUADRAT Investment AG and Talanx Asset Management GmbH respectively), to manage the fund. USAID has pledged to help “ensure the successful roll-out of the new pension system.”

A determinedly upbeat Labor and Social Welfare Minister Artem Asatrian, whose ministry would oversee the program, asserted on January 21 that the change would bring “tangible results.”

That’s just what worries some critics.

Armenians now pay an income tax amounting to 24.4 percent of their monthly salaries over 45,000 drams ($110) and 26 percent for salaries over 120,000 drams ($300).

Under the social-security plan, they would have another 5 percent of their salaries withheld. Deductions would be taken out of the individual worker’s gross salary, compounding the shrinkage of take-home pay, said accountant Maneh Tandilian, a member of the “I Object” anti-pension-reform movement.

Concerns about shrinking take-home pay resonate in the country’s relatively well-paid IT sector, an emerging economic field that the government is eager to develop. “Many among my friends are discussing options for leaving the country,” commented programmer Gevorg Gorgisian. “Why do we have to lose 40 to 45 percent of our salaries, which hardly suffice for covering our family expenses [and] looking after our parents, because the state does not provide decent pensions?”

Harutiun Mesrobian, a professor of economics at Slavonic University in Yerevan, said the idea has merit that the social security plan may stimulate emigration. The size of Armenia’s shadow-economy, widely believed to account for a large share of the Armenian job market, could expand as well. Taxpayers “cannot pay such big taxes . . . and survive at the same time,” said Mesrobian.

Given the prevalence of corruption, some opposition politicians are suspicious about Sargsyan administration’s motives. One, Naira Zohrabian, secretary for the Prosperous Armenia Party’s parliamentary faction, went so far as to call the withholding plan a “state racket.”

Minasian, the ARF MP, questioned whether taxpayers would see any benefits from the fund. He asserted that the government, by law, cannot guanatee 80-percent of its deposits since budgetary regulations require that such guarantees do “not exceed 10 percent of each year’s tax revenues.” If the pension fund, as forecast, increases by 100-billion drams ($245 million) each year, that amount would outstrip the government’s guarantee by the second year of the fund’s existence, he claimed.

Galust Sahakian, leader of the governing Republican Party of Armenia’s parliamentary faction, brushed off speculation about the government’s ability fulfill its pledges. “If the law says that the government will guarantee [deposited pension funds], so it will,” he said.

Representatives of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare declined to respond to questions about the reform, referring EurasiaNet.org instead to Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisian’s remarks. In his end-of-the-year news conference, the prime minister on December 27 called opposition to the reform “understandable” since “any reform meets resistance.” But ultimately, he underlined, “there is no alternative to the compulsory accumulative pension system.”

Comment

IMO, the pension plan opens the door (again) to fraud.
                  We all know the gas price at the border is significantly less than at the individual consumer end.
                  We all know at least one of the 50 or so greed ridden families has their hands in this.
                  I suggest that a percent of every gas sale be taken for pension funds.
                  Everyone uses gas.
                  The percentage taken from gas sales should not raise the gas price but rather come from the manipulative gaugers pocket.
                  This gas from the border to the consumer needs to be scrutinized by independent evaluators and exposed.
                  The money for fair pensions is in fact actually there.
                  It is being fraudulently stolen by the likes og gago or whoever has the "sweetheart" deal.
                  Artashes

Comment

We all know the gas price at the border is significantly less than at the individual consumer end.
                    We all know at least one of the 50 or so greed ridden families has their hands in this.
                    Everyone uses gas.
                    The percentage taken from gas sales should not raise the gas price but rather come from the manipulative gaugers pocket.
                    This gas from the border to the consumer needs to be scrutinized by independent evaluators and exposed.
                    It is being fraudulently stolen by the likes og gago or whoever has the "sweetheart" deal.
                    Artashes
                    For that matter, all mineral wealth exported from the country should have a percentage deducted for pension and medical costs.
                    This wealth also belongs to the country & people.
                    The benefits should be utilized as such.
                    Artashes

Comment

Everyone uses gas.
                      Artashes
                      At the very best, it's a well intentioned endeavor that will do much more damage than good. At the not so very best, it is exactly as you say: another attempt at theft.

Considering the more complex well intentioned route:

The United States of America, the country encouraging this campaign, a country that also happens to be the world's most powerful country, cannot itself maintain such a program. The Social Security Program has become an abused government nuisance on the road to bankruptcy that nobody seems to know how to reform. What would lead us to believe that Armenia would be able to a manage such a program that America cannot.

Even if the plan is executed perfectly and years down the road we see the benefits, it wouldn't matter. Armenia's most pressing issue is right now. Things are most dire now. People are having the most trouble making it by now. Emigration is happening now, not in 10 years. When you make it harder for people to be able to afford basic essentials now, it doesn't matter what it'll be like in 30 years, they care about being able to make it now, and in Armenia the margin is not big enough to save for 30 years later.

You are driving away your youth, your most talented, your highest earners.

At worst, and most likely scenario, it is nothing but fraud. It is nothing but more government funds that will be used in ways not intended to be used.

Comment

Working...
                      X