Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Language Reforms (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian Language Reforms (?)

On Asbarez they recently posted an article entitled «Առաջնորդի Այցելութիւն ՀՅԴ Կեդրոնական Կոմիտէին». I was extremely confused as to this last word and even resorted to looking it up in the dictionary! This of course was until I realized that they were trying to say "committee". The proper word should have been «վարչութիւն»!

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
      Like I already mentioned, these foreign words exist mainly in the country's vernacular, they are not officially recognized as Armenian. Of the more annoying borrowed words I often hear in Armenia is "meeting" (ժողով/հանդիպում), "sportsman" (մարզիկ) and "team" (խումբ).

The word for parliament in Armenia is խորհրդարան, not պառլամենտ. Like I said, street language, in any nation, is quite different from the proper/literary language.
      You'd be surprised ընկեր. I checked an English-Armenian dictionary from the Armenian SSR times (printed in 1991) for parliament just now and the ONLY word that appeared next to it in the translation is պառլամենտ. I hope this was changed now since it's from 1991 but for so long it was like that for absolutely no reason at all. Just checked communism too and կոմունիստ is the only word that appears. I mean the official party name for the Armenian Communist party is Հայաստանի կոմունիստական կուսակցություն abbreviated as ՀԿԿ.

People have been taught this way because somehow these words probably were slipped into the educational system which is why it's in the vernacular of so many.
      Last edited by Federate; 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM.
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
        On Asbarez they recently posted an article entitled «Առաջնորդի Այցելութիւն ՀՅԴ Կեդրոնական Կոմիտէին». I was extremely confused as to this last word and even resorted to looking it up in the dictionary! This of course was until I realized that they were trying to say "committee". The proper word should have been «վարչութիւն»!
        Why stop there, Կեդրոնական is derived from Latin and it means central. So, the proper Armenian term for Central Committee would have to be - մեջտեղի վարչութիւն There are some borrowed words that you simply can't change because they have long ago embedded themselves into our vocabulary. The best thing to do is to stop further imports from taking root.

Originally posted by Federate View Post
        You'd be surprised ընկեր. I checked an English-Armenian dictionary from the Armenian SSR times (printed in 1991) for parliament just now and the ONLY word that appeared next to it in the translation is պառլամենտ.
        I have see both words used in dictionaries in Armenia. All, however, recognize that խորհրդարան is the proper term. A lot has changed in the country since the chaos of the early 1990s. However, these is still a problem with people speaking proper Armenian. It almost seems as if all would much rather speak street slang. What's more, there is now a serious danger posed by the English language. Everything in the country, especially in Yerevan, is in Armenian and English, and in some cases only in English. For the past fifteen-twenty years the English language has saturated Armenia. The Russian language, perhaps the most important language Armenians need to learn, is actually dying out in the country.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
          For the past fifteen-twenty years the English language has saturated Armenia.
          Tell me about it... when I was in Armenia a couple of summers ago I met someone that I spent some time with over there. 3/4 of what he was telling me was in English. So basically, a native Yerevantsi was speaking English to me and my Amerigahye ass was answering him in Armenian... ironic and sad.

And I agree with you about what you're saying... proper Armenian has very little loan words, its the street talk that is steering completely in another direction. Its not a matter of reforming the language, its a matter of making people learn it properly and to have them use it. Although its unfortunate that even many of our journalists in newspapers use tons of Latin words when there are well-known Armenian words for them ('brezident' instead of nakhakah is a very common one, but there are so many even in a single article).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
            cannot be taken because Armenian language is in nowhere close to Turkish, whether it's about the loan words or the vocabulary or...
            This has nothing to do with how close a language is to another one. You could use the same argument for English. Obviously there are loan words from languages like french that go back almost 1000 years, that have become an integral part of the English language. I'm not talking about words like that. I mean the more recent loan words.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
            What is "Muslim" words by the way? "Muslim" is not a language.
            i know Muslim is not a language, i was quoting a encyclopedia Britannica article, in which Muslim was the term deemed for certain Arabic and Persian words. They were using the word Muslim in how many people refer to certain Arabic, Persian, Turkish, etc names as "Muslim names."

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
            What are you talking about? What Russian words? What Muslim words? How old are you?
            I'm 20. and there are words that even if are not in "proper armenian" they are in the vernacular, and it's through the vernacular that they become embedded into "proper armenian" overtime. It doesn't matter if there's 1 russian/english/ect word or 100, they should be replaced with their Armenian counterpart, and if there isn't one a new word can be made using Armenian roots
            Last edited by ara87; 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
              And I agree with you about what you're saying... proper Armenian has very little loan words, its the street talk that is steering completely in another direction. Its not a matter of reforming the language, its a matter of making people learn it properly and to have them use it. Although its unfortunate that even many of our journalists in newspapers use tons of Latin words when there are well-known Armenian words for them ('brezident' instead of nakhakah is a very common one, but there are so many even in a single article).
              That goes beyond just using loan words: it's just ignorant on their part. There's no reason they shouldn't be using նախագահ.

Comment

I agree: my point was that its unfortunate that some of them are ignorant/lazy for not using proper Armenian, similar to Armenians who engage in street-talk. But its worse because they are journalists who should have a proper grasp of the language, but instead they are perpetuating the street-level standards.
                Last edited by ArmSurvival; 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X