Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

So what on earth makes orthodox monks punch each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what on earth makes orthodox monks punch each other?

Christianity was brought to Armenia by TWO of Christ's Aposties, St. Jude and St. Bartholomew. They founded the Church in Armenia and St. Gregory the Illuminator was the first official head of the church. Thus Christianity in Armenia has been around for as long, if not longer than either the Greek speaking areas of the Roman empire or the Latin speaking west. Neither the Roman Catholic Church nor the Greek Orthodox Church have any power over or higher authority than the Armenian Apostolic Church, which on a number of accounts is older than both.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
      Sip, I am in rare agreement with you except the part about being funny. This is fuc*ing stupid and embarrassing. I don't care who is right here -- clergy men should be last to throw punches.
      Skhara, simply put, you unaware of what the Greek Church hierarchy (and to some extent traditional Greek society) is like and how they view us Armenians. In my opinion, their clergy in Jerusalem deserved every single punch and/or kick they got for that is the only language they understand. And make no mistake about it, this is not about Christinaity per se this is the continuation of their Byzantine mentalities and politics. Regardless of how one looks at it, this problem in Jerusalem has to do with the age long anti-Armenian sentiments of Greek clergy. The Greeks think they are the Alpha and the Omega. But to us Armenians they are the decedents of those that forever plunged our homeland into hell. And they have the balls to complain about us? They still want to undermine us? Instead of causing problems with us, they should instead be trying to convert the millions of their brethren living in Turkey as Muslims. What the xxxx is wrong with you people? Had Jews or Turks done this Armenians like you would be calling for blood. You know what, Turks may hate Armenians but unlike Greeks Turks at the very least respect us.
      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Byzantine mentality as you call it has nothing to do with the Corrupted Greek Orthodox Archidoices in Jerusalem. I would say all churches that have representative members in Jerusalem are pretty much corrupt. I am confident that if i walked into a monestary in Armenia, some remote mountain that they would not evict me because im Greek Orthodox. And if I was Armenian Orthodox walkig into a monestary in Greece I am sure they wouldnt think about throwing me out. But as you see the churches in Jerusalem are corrupt. No matter what was said or transacted on that day they should never have resorted to hitting.

I am also very confident that the xxxish police probably had something to do with it. Is it hard to imagine Armenians and Greeks talking to each other through the xxxish police?

"What are the Greeks doing here?" Arm. Orthodox
        "They came to stop your ceremony" xxxish cop
        "Why are the Armenians upset?" Grk Orthodox
        "They say you have no right to be here" xxxish Cop

Then bang. Plus if you look carefully the cops are actually making things worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
          Skhara, simply put, you unaware of what the Greek Church hierarchy (and to some extent traditional Greek society) is like and how they view us Armenians. In my opinion, their clergy in Jerusalem deserved every single punch and/or kick they got for that is the only language they understand.
          Even so, I don't really care. They are pretty irrelevant, I am not interested in Greeks, their mentalities and how they view us.

What the xxxx is wrong with you people? Had Jews or Turks done this Armenians like you would be calling for blood.
          Done what? The "xxxs" are only too happy to publicize this. The turks think this episode is pretty funny. Personally, I hate this publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephestion View Post
            I am also very confident that the xxxish police probably had something to do with it. Is it hard to imagine Armenians and Greeks talking to each other through the xxxish police?
            Ephestion, I have no doubt Israeli officials are encouraging this and I have no doubt they, along with Turks, are loving every minute of it. However, one can't blame them for manipulating/exploiting the hostile sentiments that already exist within Greeks. Israelis aren't pushing Greeks against Armenians, representatives of the Greek nation have been working against Armenians for centuries. Since this agenda of the Orthodox Church brought Asia Minor to the point where it belongs neither to Greeks or Armenians, they are now continuing their medieval fight in Jerusalem. But you know what? This all can stop very easily. Since Orthodoxy is fundamental to Greek identity, all you have to do is encourage your clergy to step out of the middle ages and into the modern world and accept the fact the since Armenia was proselytized by Christ's apostles Armenians have had a church separate from Greeks. Believe me, it's that simple. This way no Jew no Turks no Muslim can get in between us.

Done what? The "xxxs" are only too happy to publicize this. The turks think this episode is pretty funny. Personally, I hate this publicity.
            Skhara, you primary problem is - what are Jews and Turks thinking about this. I say - who gives a damn what they are thinking. Besides, this wasn't our doing. You are treating this ordeal as if it's a two sided problem. It's not. It is the Greek Church that continuously portrays hostility towards Armenians. What do you expect from Armenian clergy, subservience to them, which is what they are seeking? Trust me, Armenian Church would want nothing more than making peace with the Greek Church. Unfortunately, as they keep proving to us year in year out, the Greek Orthodox Church still lives in the middle ages. So, if you want to complain complain to them.
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

It is the Greek Church that continuously portrays hostility towards Armenians
              Your joking right? The Greek Orthodox church may have its disputes to settle with the Armenian Orthodox church which by the way aren't all that important but are probably worth mentioning in another thread like the Monophysite vs Polyphysite nature of Christ. But aside those issues which are theological views there s no hostility between Greeks and Armenians. I don't see where you get this impression.

Comment

The hostility he is referring to is by the Greek church not individual Greeks. The average Greek gets along just fine with an Armenian.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Sip, I am in rare agreement with you except the part about being funny. This is fuc*ing stupid and embarrassing. I don't care who is right here -- clergy men should be last to throw punches.
                  Glad at least we agree on something.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

No you are forgetting something,ill explain a little history,before all the schisms,the apostles spread the word of god and established churches in different countries -
                    st peter established a church in rome,Roman Catholic
                    st mark established a church in egypt,Coptic Orthodox
                    st andrew established a church in greece,Greek Orthodox
                    st Bartholomew and Thaddeus established a church in Armenia,Armenian Orthodox
                    st paul and st peter eastablished a church in Antioch (modern day syria),Syrian Orthodox

and all these have their own patriach,so how can the Armenian be under the Greeks when they have their own founders.

any how these churches held councils and in the council of chalcedon of 451 AD,there was a meeting about the divinity of christ the Roman church and Greek church beleived god consisted of two natures which are seperate the Coptic,Syrian,Armenian churches beleived god consisted of two natures which are united,they were accused of monosphiysm meaning beleivng in one nature,which was not true and they accused the greek and romans of beleiving in a form of nestorius which was a heresy declared in the council before,however they have since came to an agreement that they both beleive in the same thing but used different words to describe it but will not unite until another holy council is attended by all churches.

The reason they all look the same is because they are all eastern churches besides the catholic church and have kept the apsotolic traditions unlike the catholic church.

So their are two forms of orthodoxy Eastern Orthodox - greek orthodox which then spread to russia,seria,georgia etc but under the greek orthodox

Oriental orthodox - coptic,sryian,armenian orthodox which the coptic orthodox church granted a patriach for ethopia and etriea and the syrian to india however the coptic,armenian and syrian are under their own patriach but all agree on the same things

note the names are the same both mean eastern orthodox but just to distingush it for people in english so they are pratically the same except for the reason mentioned above

Comment

and have kept the apsotolic traditions unlike the catholic church.
                      Would you mind explaining what 'apostolic traditions' the catholic church has abandoned?

Comment

Working...
                      X