Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian Genetics

Originally posted by Hye_Psycho View Post
    For me having the right Genetics and being ‘Armenian’ are closely linked. Some will naturally disagree.
    Pretty much.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

I agree that you need some Armenian genetic connection to be considered Armenian. The difference for me is that I (naturally) put the genetic component on a lower level than say one's dedication to the Hayrenik, language ability, and love for the Hye Joghovourt.

I could care less if you are 100% Armenian but have no desire to associate with Armenia or Armenians. Contrarily, I will fully support a "1/8" Armenian if he or she is truly dedicated to our people, is involved in the community, and speaks the language (however far-fetched this may sound).

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
        I could care less if you are 100% Armenian but have no desire to associate with Armenia or Armenians.
        This is irrelevant. You state this as if those of us that place importance in blood somehow accept Armenians who are otaramol.

Contrarily, I will fully support a "1/8" Armenian if he or she is truly dedicated to our people, is involved in the community, and speaks the language (however far-fetched this may sound).
        Two points: (1) That is pretty marginal and may as well be non-existent. (2) As long as they aren't a mostly Oriental or Negroid blood type.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

He loves the Chinaman example.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
            He loves the Chinaman example.
            Haha, when I was younger, I used to play recitals at the Bolsahyemyutiun in Montreal. It was about paying homage to Armenian composers, so Armenian teachers would present their students at the event. In the beginning, it was mostly Armenian students. But after a couple of years, more and more of the students showing up to play were Chinese. In the end, there was 3 Armenian students, and maybe 10 Chinese. After that year, the recitals were aborted.

I asked my teacher, who also commented rather negatively on the Chinese, "Why is this happening? Are you a racist?" and she replied, "My dear, Armenians are the most racist people in the world!"

A few years later, my teacher (who's always had a very multicultural group of students) softened up to this though, I think one of the things that did this was her love and acceptance for her half black great grandson, and now she says, "They shouldn't have canceled those recitals, it's supposed to be about the music, it doesn't matter who plays it". The other thing is that xenophobic attitudes don't sit well with you when your environment is rigidly multicultural. I think your ethnic environment plays a great role in the kinds of attitudes you can exhibit or even entertain privately without experiencing cognitive dissonance, which is why repatriation to the homeland is ideal if you wish to uphold an Armenian lineage.

I think she's right when it comes to musical performances though, a liberal attitude towards the performers' ethnic background is ideal. But that doesn't mean liberal attitudes towards interracial marriages has to be consequential.

We don't have to be xenophobic when it comes to the arts, but when it comes to sex, it's a matter of life and death! At this rate, my guess is that in 20 years time, due to present sexual and marital attitudes in the diaspora, there'll be officially less than 5 million Armenians left.
            Last edited by jgk3; 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

If Armenians of the diaspora do not claim their right to live in their homeland they will gradually lose their common cultural identity. And if this happens, the white massacre of our nation will have succeeded.”
              Though off topic, I wanted to make a quick comment on this, since many would consider moving back to Armenia to be the most patriotic thing a diaspora Armenian can do.

With the economic situation Armenia is in right now, it doesn't make any sense for much of the diaspora Armenians to move back, as they would be producing a small fraction of what they would living in America for example. At least for know, I would rather have an affluent diaspora with continued growth and continued investments in Armenia and locally for the preservation of Armenian culture (Armenian schools, programs, etc) rather than people just packing their bags, moving back home, and producing less. In its current landlocked position, Armenia is limited in its ability to really prosper economically, and in order for it to do so, we would need either A) a portion of our land back, with large investments in building infrastructure to support the trade or B) huge investments in infrastructure to support slightly different types of trade (the types that don't require a sea). Although diasporian Armenians as a whole are doing fairly well for themselves, we're still not able to make those huge investments needed, though I think we're definitely on the right path. If we all do our part to work hard, do well for ourselves, and not hesitate to donate/invest what we can in Armenia, I think we'll see a day where we won't have to make any lifestyle sacrifices in order to move back to Armenia.

Again, somewhat off topic, and it may be just a bunch of rambling as it has been a very long night/morning for me, but hopefully I made a little bit of sense. Bari gisher

Comment

Working...
              X