Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

So you think you're an expert about Armenians because you listen to System of a Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think you're an expert about Armenians because you listen to System of a Down?

Today I was talking with a co-worker and I mentioned that I specialize (I have a degree in history) in the Armenian genocides. Another co-worker overheard us and said something that prompted me to say, "I'm Armenian." Then he asked if I knew that System of a Down was Armenian. After I told him I already knew that he began explaining Turkey's relationship to Armenia to me. And telling me about System of a Down.
    Excuse me, I just finished saying that I have a history degree and I specialize in the Armenian genocides. I think I know what the relationship between Armenians and Turks is like.
    I'm sorry I'm just a little ticked off that this guy was trying to tell me what it is to be Armenian. Oh, he's an expert because he listens to System of a Down. This is the first time I've ever encountered a non-Armenian who has tried to tell me what it is like to be Armenian. I'll listen to an Armenian in regards to the culture and religion.
    Usually System of a Down fans will ask me questions, not try to inform me about my own heritage. Has anyone ever encounter such a situation?

Re: So you think you're an expert about Armenians because you listen to System of a D

That is funny man. The only nonarmenians who do that seem to be the turcks in my own experience.Man i can only imagine what you were thinking while that idiot was babbling away after you said what you said lol.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Re: So you think you're an expert about Armenians because you listen to System of a D

Originally posted by kashiangal View Post
      Today I was talking with a co-worker and I mentioned that I specialize (I have a degree in history) in the Armenian genocides. Another co-worker overheard us and said something that prompted me to say, "I'm Armenian." Then he asked if I knew that System of a Down was Armenian. After I told him I already knew that he began explaining Turkey's relationship to Armenia to me. And telling me about System of a Down.
      Excuse me, I just finished saying that I have a history degree and I specialize in the Armenian genocides. I think I know what the relationship between Armenians and Turks is like.
      I'm sorry I'm just a little ticked off that this guy was trying to tell me what it is to be Armenian. Oh, he's an expert because he listens to System of a Down. This is the first time I've ever encountered a non-Armenian who has tried to tell me what it is like to be Armenian. I'll listen to an Armenian in regards to the culture and religion.
      Usually System of a Down fans will ask me questions, not try to inform me about my own heritage. Has anyone ever encounter such a situation?
      You are exhibiting what sees to be a distinctly racist attitude, and one that is not actually compatible with being an historian. You seem to be saying that only an Armenian can understand and write about Armenian culture or religion. I don't know if that is really your opinion, but if it is then you will probably enjoy minor recognition amongst the Armenian diaspora and nobody else will read a word you write.
      Do you think a German-American would be annoyed at some non-German talking about Weimar Germany on the basis of what he saw in the film "Cabaret" - annoyed not because a film isn't exactly the best history teacher but because the opinions were from a non-German!
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I only like one song from System of a Down.
        Other than that, I detest Nu Metal.

Comment

In regards to Bell-the-cat, I'll admit that "This is the first time I've ever encountered a non-Armenian who has tried to tell me what it is like to be Armenian. I'll listen to an Armenian in regards to the culture and religion," makes me sound like a racist. When I wrote it didn't occur to me that it would come across that way.
          I guess what I meant to say is that I'll listen to anyone that knows more about the culture and religion than I do, because there's still a lot I would like to know. But since most people don't know what an Armenian is the only people around to learn from are Armenians. I have read some history books written by non-Armenians. The value I place on those books depends on the knowledge those books give me. Actually, now that I think about it some of the most informative pieces I have come across so far weren't written by Armenians at all, but by American missionaries.
          What annoyed about that 19 year old kid was that his only credential was that he listens to System of a Down. If he had mentioned reading books or watching documentaries on the subject than it would be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by kashiangal View Post
            Hi Kashiangal

I know the feeling. Normally in a situation like that I will intervene and politely explain in short what is really happening without sounding too biased.
            Don’t let it bother you too much, no big deal….

BTW, SOAD Rocks

Hey Cats, why are you twisting her words and calling her a racist? This says a lot about your own character.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

SOAD has been both a blessing, and a curse. On the rare occasion someone has heard of us around here, half the time I get "oh, Armenian like SOAD?!?!" Yes, asswipe. "Armenian like SOAD".

Last year, when I was asking if someone with deep, extensive knowledge of the Armenian genocide could proofread my essay before I started plastering it all over the forums I frequent, I got no help here, so I got desperate and tried the SOADfans.com website. Several said they'd be willing to read, but none of them had a clue about the extent of details I had written. When I finally posted it as its own thread, the clueless masses all chimed in to thank me for breaking down exactly what happened so that they finally understood what they were blindly following (just because their idols told them to).

This is not a unique phenomenon in American culture. It is the land of the "ignorant experts", as I've coined it. They read an article, hear an infomercial, watch a movie, take one class, etc. and suddenly, they're an expert on any given subject. I deal with it every day at work (I manage a nutritional supplement store). Half the people come in thinking they know more than me about proteins, pre-workout formulas, etc. because they read something somewhere, or a friend told them "all about how this stuff works". Same applies for music. SOAD fans are Armenian experts just because they listen to SOAD, Tool fans are "super intelligent" because they listen to Tool, and so on.

Comment

What annoyed about that 19 year old kid was that his only credential was that he listens to System of a Down.
                Lol, I know what that feels like. Describing Armenia and it's history to people from different places sometimes takes place in very strange ways. My story is a bit different though.

In India, America, etc. most of the time, whenever I said I was Armenian, everyone understood that I was ROmanian. Armenia doesn't really exist it seems. Many don't know about her although they DEFINITELY know about her people, not realizing who they are or where they are from. Me and my little sis being the only Armenians in a school filled with 500 kids, sometimes more, has it's good and bad sides, lol, .
                Last edited by Sako; 02-14-2009, 08:29 AM.
                THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

I could care less about System of a Down.

Comment

With you there brother. Some of their songs are good but I don't like them as a band or anything. Neither do I hate them.
                    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Working...
                    X