Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

AG Movie Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AG Movie Scripts

Originally posted by Lika View Post

Schindler's List was written by an Armenian though.
    Check the link:
    http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.ph...teven_Zaillian
    Here is a good article on Steve Zaillian and his works.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/15/mo...pagewanted=all

''If I'm missing something, I don't know what it is,'' Mr. Zaillian said, smiling: ''I always think I'm working on the best things that are being done out there. I haven't worked on anything because I needed the money or done something that I didn't believe in.''

It's surprising that he hasn't come up with an Armenian genocide movie.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I believe Steven Zaillian is Jewish.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
        NO ONE ... I mean NO ONE, can depict the pain of the Armenians properly. Look at the Lark Farm. They tried to turn foreign actors into Armenians and the result? I felt like I was watching the Italian Genocide, lol, not the Armenian Genocide. I didn't feel the pain of my people. The whole movie seemed like a drama ... not a movie. But look at Dzori Miro ... the Armenian movies. They are a different story. Only our people can show their pain because they ARE in pain. The hate, the anger, etc. can only be depicted properly by people who actually FEEL all that and frankly speaking, I'm tired of seeing foreigners trying to be Armenians. It's time Armenians took the roles of Armenians.

Imagine watching Chinese actors taking the role of the warriors in Apocalypto, running around screaming KAYAKA KAYAKA ? It's almost the same case here. I think Armenians should be in the movie and there CAN be actors from Hollywood, etc. AS WELL. But the majority has to be Armenians because no matter how hard any actors try, they won't get it completely right ... or perhaps even right AT ALL. It's not about professional actors/actresses ... it's about having ARMENIAN people in a movie about THEY'RE painful past. It's as simple as that.

I'm sorry to say but that's one of the biggest crock of bs i've ever heard. If you really think that many Armenians are that painfully ailed to this day. You are delusional. Most Armenians could not fathom the pain that was felt by the people who were actually there, but what the hell lets go ahead and cast the Kardashian sisters

For one thing, Mel Gibson used actual Mayans b/c yes he wanted to be authentic, but they were also already on location, and spoke Yucatec(maya). But asides the countless numbers of authentic native people there, only a few were used for the main roles, why you ask? b/c the rest could not act and were only fit to be extras. And btw, he would have never cast a Chinese person b/c they don't look the same.

Being able to feel "the pain" has nothing to do with it, the only thing that matters is if they are a could actor or not. There are many Armenian films with many armenian actors that are horrible b/c they are made with Armenian actors who only got the roles b/c they were Armenian.

The 2 main leads of the film "Memoirs of A Geisha" were Chinese playing Japanese,( and no they are not the same) and they both did excellent jobs

Schindler's List, main cast

Liam Neelson (Irish) Plays a German
        Ben Kingsley (Half Indian, Half English) Plays a Jėw
        Ralph Feinnes (English) Plays a German
        Caroline Goodall (English) Plays a Austria-Hungarian/Czech
        Embeth Davidtz (South African of English Descent) Plays a Jėw
        Jonathan Sagall (Jėw) Plays a Pole

There was only one Jėwish person in the main cast and no germans.

To say that actors like Ben Kingsley or Alfred Molina, and many others could not play an Armenian role well, is audaciously stupid
        Last edited by ara87; 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

If Hollywood is involved, it will probably end up being a love story beween a turkish soldier his armenian captive.
          Done already (I'm looking at you Lark Farm) !

If I have some spare time, I'll work on the turkish harem rescue scene where the hero's and heroine's infiltrate the heavily guarded fortress of the sultan and rescue the group of captives. Now... all we need is an Armenian Jackie Chan....
          Or maybe an Armenian version of Bruce Lee or JCVD ... I'm sure we can incorporate them into the movie somehow !

I'm sorry to say but that's one of the biggest crock of bs i've ever heard. If you really think that many Armenians are that painfully ailed to this day. You are delusional. Most Armenians could not fathom the pain that was felt by the people who were actually there, but what the hell lets go ahead and cast the Kardashian sisters
          Doesn't sound like a very bad idea ... I've got a few xxxxxs in my script anyways (for a good reason).

For one thing, Mel Gibson used actual Mayans b/c yes he wanted to be authentic, but they were also already on location, and spoke Yucatec(maya). But asides the countless numbers of authentic native people there, only a few were used for the main roles, why you ask? b/c the rest could not act and were only fit to be extras. And btw, he would have never cast a Chinese person b/c they don't look the same.
          All I'm saying is that there should be LOT'S of Armenians in the movie. I've seen others try and act like Armenians and it doesn't look or feel right. I'm not saying this because I'm Armenian. It's just our culture, our way of acting, talking, etc. Not everyone can play the role of an Armenian ... let alone Fedayeens, etc.

I agree, we need GOOD Armenian actors to play in the movie and for that reason, let's start working on that. We can still bring in some great Hollywood actors but I want equal light to be thrown on the Armenians. By the way, Apocalypto was one of the best and properly directed movie I've ever seen and I'd hate watching it if anyone other then those Mayans played the roles of Mayans. Say for example Americans, lol. It just doesn't feel right and it can be hilarious at times.

Being able to feel "the pain" has nothing to do with it, the only thing that matters is if they are a could actor or not. There are many Armenian films with many armenian actors that are horrible b/c they are made with Armenian actors who only got the roles b/c they were Armenian.
          And there were many that were good! I'm not saying all our movies are awsome (although I've learned something from all of them and would gladly watch them again and again) but Armenians playing in an Armenian movie ALONG SIDE great hollywood and why not Persian and Turkish actors sounds great. But having very few Armenians in the movie sucks. I'm not being sentimental or something.

The 2 main leads of the film "Memoirs of A Geisha" were Chinese playing Japanese,( and no they are not the same) and they both did excellent jobs
          They are very alike. I can almost compare the two to say a Western Armenian and an Eastern Armenian. Japan and China are different countries but at times it's very hard to tell the difference between Chinese folk and Japanese folk. My movie experience was great. If you could really tell the difference, I think other actors would've been casted.

Schindler's List, main cast

Liam Neelson (Irish) Plays a German
          Ben Kingsley (Half Indian, Half English) Plays a Jėw
          Ralph Feinnes (English) Plays a German
          Caroline Goodall (English) Plays a Austria-Hungarian/Czech
          Embeth Davidtz (South African of English Descent) Plays a Jėw
          Jonathan Sagall (Jėw) Plays a Pole

There was only one Jėwish person in the main cast and no germans.
          Schindlers list can't be compared to a movie based on the Armenian Genocide. The Holocaust was more modern. You can somehow replace xxxs (I can't even tell the difference between a xxx and an American unless I get to know them better, lol) with Americans, etc. but you can't replace an Armenian as easily. Let's say you casted an American. Not only would it be EXTREMELY difficult for that actor to play the part (your supposed to take the role of an Armenian ... a country you probably know next to nothing about), he/she would have to do lot's and I mean LOT'S of research to play the part right and even then, there's a very big chance he/she would make a lot of mistakes. I'm not blaming anyone, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't play the part right if I knew next to nothing about a country or it's people either! People around the world don't know much about us and suddenly asking foreign actors to play the role of Armenians doesn't really sound right or make sense. They can take the role of American, German, etc. missionaries (Ararat did this) and anyone else basically other then Armenians ... or maybe just a few. The rest have to be Armenians and if we don't have good actors, we'll just have to change that! I doubt any foreigner will be able to play the role of an Armenian better then an Armenian because we are Armenians. You don't get that kind of experience no matter how many movies you act in.

To say that actors like Ben Kingsley or Alfred Molina, and many others could not play an Armenian role well, is audaciously stupid
          There are exceptions but I doubt you can make a GREAT AG movie without Armenians because most foreigners know next to nothing about our culture. My opinion and that of many others. Denying this would truly be audaciously stupid...
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Wow, this thread is out of control.

Is a good film going to justify anything? Is it going to have America and Turkey, both, recognize the genocide? Is it so these filmmakers can go down in history? Would they care half as much if the genocide had been recognized years ago?

Originally posted by Saco
            You can somehow replace xxxs (I can't even tell the difference between a xxx and an American unless I get to know them better, lol)
            Wow, that's pretty harsh. Do you know Americans will be thinking about all of this? I can't tell the difference between an Arab an an Armenian... I can't tell the difference between a Turk and an Armenian. That's a pretty ignorant statement, I'm sorry.

Let's say you casted an American. Not only would it be EXTREMELY difficult for that actor to play the part (your supposed to take the role of an Armenian ... a country you probably know next to nothing about), he/she would have to do lot's and I mean LOT'S of research to play the part right and even then, there's a very big chance he/she would make a lot of mistakes.
            The role of an actor is to do research. How do actors take on the roles of real people, who lived hundreds of years ago? Their only research is written work and, if they're lucky, some footage they can look through.

Acting is doing research, to pick up on a certain characters mannerisms and quirks, to emulate their voice patterns and phsyically and mentally become the character. Are you telling me a non-Armenian actor can't portray an Armenian? That's another very ignorant statement, Saco.

The rest have to be Armenians and if we don't have good actors, we'll just have to change that! I doubt any foreigner will be able to play the role of an Armenian better then an Armenian because we are Armenians.
            I'm sorry, but I have to just comment on this for a personal reason. We'll jsut have to change that? Look, Armenian actors think they're great at acting, especially with their serials that they broadcast to the states. To be honest, they suck. They are truly horrible, as are the filmmakers. For crying out loud, every program looks the same; they know nothing about tone, exposition, or structure.

If the time comes when a film is made and we have the right Armenian actors to take on the role, then that's fine. Until then, I wouldn't cast an Armenian just to cast an Armenian. If anything, I'd be more skeptical by picking an Armenian actor because I doubt he'll get the job done.

Comment

Wow, this thread is out of control.

Is a good film going to justify anything? Is it going to have America and Turkey, both, recognize the genocide? Is it so these filmmakers can go down in history? Would they care half as much if the genocide had been recognized years ago?
              I've realized that many people learn from TV more then they do in school so in certain respects, a good movie could really change the way many people thought/think. Movies really do impact people's lives. I've seen that happen. A good movie could also get a lot of people to know that Armenia exists. Millions don't know. Bottom line is, a good movie would be a great step forward.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. Do you know Americans will be thinking about all of this? I can't tell the difference between an Arab an an Armenian... I can't tell the difference between a Turk and an Armenian. That's a pretty ignorant statement, I'm sorry.
              I didn't mean it that way. I meant physically, there have been times I haven't been able to tell the difference between a xxx and an American so if an American took the role of a xxx in a movie, my experience wouldn't be ruined. But if an American took the role of a Mayan in Apocalypto, lol, I don't think I would've had the same experience. I hope you understood me correctly. I'm not trying to be racist here or something like that.

The role of an actor is to do research. How do actors take on the roles of real people, who lived hundreds of years ago? Their only research is written work and, if they're lucky, some footage they can look through.

Acting is doing research, to pick up on a certain characters mannerisms and quirks, to emulate their voice patterns and phsyically and mentally become the character. Are you telling me a non-Armenian actor can't portray an Armenian? That's another very ignorant statement, Saco.
              '

Look, an Armenian doesn't have to do as much research as say an American or a Japanese, etc. if we're talking about making a movie based on Armenia and ARMENIANS. Even an Armenian with say average experience would still have something that all the others didn't. Armenian blood which is very important. Our way of thinking, acting, etc. is Armenian and that's a big plus. No one other then an Armenian can completely understand all that. That's all I'm saying. Every nation is this way. An African thinks and acts like an African. An Indian acts and thinks like an Indian (and no one can do it the same way no matter how much research). With a bit of experience I think Armenians could leave a great impression on the audience.

There are exceptions, naturally, but yeah, I don't think most actors out there can easily portray an Armenian. It's not just research, One-Way. It's not just the talent that matters. If it's an Armenian based movie, Armenians will be able to do a better job then anyone else (because they think like and are Armenians) ever could ... with a bit of guidance and experience of course. I'm not saying a completely inexperienced actor can do a better job then an experienced one, lol. That's just ignorant.

I'm sorry, but I have to just comment on this for a personal reason. We'll jsut have to change that? Look, Armenian actors think they're great at acting, especially with their serials that they broadcast to the states. To be honest, they suck. They are truly horrible, as are the filmmakers. For crying out loud, every program looks the same; they know nothing about tone, exposition, or structure.
              I know what you mean but we are moving on, yekhpayr. Don't underestimate our people. We are improving and are making some interesting movies. I've seen something in our film industry that I haven't seen anywhere else ... we're simply not paying too much attention to it. We have talent and our movies have a certain something in them (especially the old ones) that just can't stop me from watching them over and over again. I've learned so much from almost all of them and I wouldn't trade them Hollywood movies for our movies any day (the old ones, not the new ones). We have something special ... we just don't know how to use/harness it properly. If Armenian filmmakers worked together and started worrying more about the movies then the money (they are starting), and if the gov. pays more attention to the theatrical institutes, I feel we will catch up to Hollywood pretty fast. Don't underestimate our people. They are smart and have lot's and lot's of talent and potential. Our nation is simply sleeping at the moment. When it wakes up ... then we'll talk .....

If the time comes when a film is made and we have the right Armenian actors to take on the role, then that's fine. Until then, I wouldn't cast an Armenian just to cast an Armenian. If anything, I'd be more skeptical by picking an Armenian actor because I doubt he'll get the job done.
              I'm not thinking of casting an Armenian because he/she is Armenian alone, lol! And there are things that an Armenian actor would understand (if the movie was based on Armenia or Armenians) better then any other actor ever could. Don't underestimate the importance of one belonging to a certain nation. No matter how hard an Armenian tried, even the BEST actor, I doubt he/she would be able to properly act the part of say ... an African or an Indian. It's the same when you talk about Music. Pedro Eustache played the Duduk in Yanni's concert but it didn't really feel right. Why? Because he played it as if it was a Chinese flute, lol. The other day though, I met a 20 year old Armenian who was learning Duduk for about a year and your hair stood on end when you heard him play. Pedro had TONS of experience but this guy was ARMENIAN! It matters One-Way. I know what your going to say ... Pedro didn't play the duduk for a year ... but trust me, he still wouldn't be able to make you feel what an Armenian playing a duduk could make you feel. It's just not in his blood. I've heard tons of players so that's where I get this from. Hope you understood me correctly .

Comment

But if an American took the role of a Mayan in Apocalypto, lol, I don't think I would've had the same experience. I hope you understood me correctly. I'm not trying to be racist here or something like that.

Look, an Armenian doesn't have to do as much research as say an American or a Japanese, etc. if we're talking about making a movie based on Armenia and ARMENIANS.
                Btw, I just looked up the lead actor from apocolypto, and his name is Rudy Youngblood, and he was born in Belton, Texas. And although he is of Comanche descent, he is not registered with the tribe, and in order to prepare for his role in Apocolypto, he learned the Yucatec/Mayan language.

Armenian blood which is very important. Our way of thinking, acting, etc. is Armenian and that's a big plus. No one other then an Armenian can completely understand all that. That's all I'm saying. Every nation is this way. An African thinks and acts like an African. An Indian acts and thinks like an Indian (and no one can do it the same way no matter how much research). With a bit of experience I think Armenians could leave a great impression on the audience.
                Saco as far as blood goes that's bs. Blood carries nothing but genetics aka "looks" and there are plenty of non armos that look armenian (even turks!) and have the "hye atchker." Claiming that you have something extra through blood is akin to the outdated idea of noble blood.

There is nothing to understand about being Armenian either, that thing you feel when you are there is called national pride, that's it, and everyone feels that at some point in their lives, but it has nothing to do with how well you can portray a character on screen.

because they think like (and are) Armenians
                So they think like people with old school traditional values influenced by Russian and Iranian views?

Our nation is simply sleeping at the moment. When it wakes up ... then we'll talk .....
                baby steps, try to get them to have decent tv programming first

Pedro Eustache played the Duduk in Yanni's concert but it didn't really feel right. Why? Because he played it as if it was a Chinese flute, lol. The other day though, I met a 20 year old Armenian who was learning Duduk for about a year and your hair stood on end when you heard him play. Pedro had TONS of experience but this guy was ARMENIAN! It matters One-Way. I know what your going to say ... Pedro didn't play the duduk for a year ... but trust me, he still wouldn't be able to make you feel what an Armenian playing a duduk could make you feel. It's just not in his blood. I've heard tons of players so that's where I get this from. Hope you understood me correctly .
                While the duduk originates from Armenia, it is not solely an Armenian instrument, it is played in many countries, and he either 1 could be playing it in a style of one of those countries, 2 was trying to be original, or 3 didn't feel like he needed to depress people. Trust me, if he wanted to depress people then he would have played like Djivan Gasparian.

Saying someone who isn't armenian can't learn to do Armenian music better than Armenians is like saying Armenians can't learn to do other nationalities music better than them, (which we have).

Comment

Btw, I just looked up the lead actor from apocolypto, and his name is Rudy Youngblood, and he was born in Belton, Texas. And although he is of Comanche descent, he is not registered with the tribe, and in order to prepare for his role in Apocolypto, he learned the Yucatec/Mayan language.
                  And that's why he played his part so well! It doesn't matter if we was from Texas. He both looked the part and acted it out great AND was a Comanche.

Saco as far as blood goes that's bs. Blood carries nothing but genetics aka "looks" and there are plenty of non armos that look armenian (even turks!) and have the "hye atchker." Claiming that you have something extra through blood is akin to the outdated idea of noble blood.
                  I'll have to disagree with you here. I'm not talking about noble blood doesn't only carry genetics, it carries a way of thinking, mentality, etc. with it. You can find similarities in Armenians for that reason. They might not even look Armenian but still give away the fact that they are simply talking. Armenian habits, mentalities, etc. aren't very different. Indira Ghandi came to Armenia for a couple of days and after only a few talks with the Armenian officials defined Armenians ... Very hard working and talented people, will do anything to get money! Blood is very important, don't doubt that.

There is nothing to understand about being Armenian either, that thing you feel when you are there is called national pride, that's it, and everyone feels that at some point in their lives, but it has nothing to do with how well you can portray a character on screen.
                  Perhaps, but it gives you a better understanding of how to portray that character ! And what I feel inside isn't national pride alone. I don't let that cloud my vision.

So they think like people with old school traditional values influenced by Russian and Iranian views?
                  No, they think like Armenians and no matter how your influenced, there are things that all Armenians have within them. There are similarities which are influenced by blood, your nation, history, etc. Not everything is taught to you. Not everything can be learnt...

baby steps, try to get them to have decent tv programming first
                  I'll try yekhpayr, no promises though ! I can see change, all the same, and I'd like Diasporans to not underestimate Armenians here in Armenia (not that I'm saying you or anyone here is). We have potential and we just need to work together and get out of this phase. We've been through a lot and it won't be very easy to change everything. Nothing happens overnight. With a bit of support, I think we'll move forward faster. It's easy shouting out the problems ... let's find solutions! I had the chance of studying in a theatrical school abroad but I've decided to study HERE and show my support and use my imagination to get ideas to help my nation. That's what I'm doing. Let's all try and do something instead of constantly complaining. We all know Armenia is going through a terrible phase and it really is disappointing but I see many people (not particularly here) giving up and just teasing our fellow Armenians here AND our nation. That's not the right thing to do and that's even MORE disappointing and low then our nations current state.

While the duduk originates from Armenia, it is not solely an Armenian instrument, it is played in many countries, and he either 1 could be playing it in a style of one of those countries, 2 was trying to be original, or 3 didn't feel like he needed to depress people. Trust me, if he wanted to depress people then he would have played like Djivan Gasparian.
                  The song was more or less sad and I very much doubt he could've played like Djivan, a master who has been playing all his life. The only reason you say this is because you don't believe in a nations authenticity. You think anyone can come and be an Armenian or play like an Armenian and I can't agree with you here. Blood matters.

Saying someone who isn't armenian can't learn to do Armenian music better than Armenians is like saying Armenians can't learn to do other nationalities music better than them, (which we have).
                  Maybe because they were Armenians ?

Fact is, you can maybe do it better or worse but you can do it like them! I've heard so many, many different people try and play our duduk in so many ways and I could immediately say they weren't Armenians (and it turned out they weren't) and overall, I didn't like how they played it. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

I didn't mean it that way. I meant physically, there have been times I haven't been able to tell the difference between a xxx and an American so if an American took the role of a xxx in a movie, my experience wouldn't be ruined. But if an American took the role of a Mayan in Apocalypto, lol, I don't think I would've had the same experience. I hope you understood me correctly. I'm not trying to be racist here or something like that.
                    You're not coming off as racist but you're coming of as ignorant. See, that's what I don't understand. When other groups of people look at Armenians and say, "Armenian? What is that, like a Jew? Or an Arab?" -- we get mad! Why? It's okay for us to not know the physical difference between other nationalities? Of course they might not look physically different to you, that's what casting directors will say for the Armenians. I highly doubt you can't make a certain actor of any descent look Armenian enough for a film. If we can successfully make Brad Pitt look 80, we can do anything.

Look, an Armenian doesn't have to do as much research as say an American or a Japanese, etc. if we're talking about making a movie based on Armenia and ARMENIANS. Even an Armenian with say average experience would still have something that all the others didn't. Armenian blood which is very important. Our way of thinking, acting, etc. is Armenian and that's a big plus. No one other then an Armenian can completely understand all that. That's all I'm saying. Every nation is this way. An African thinks and acts like an African. An Indian acts and thinks like an Indian (and no one can do it the same way no matter how much research). With a bit of experience I think Armenians could leave a great impression on the audience.
                    I think ara touched on this but I'll comment on it as well. Having Armenian blood has nothing to do with physical talent or capability. How does the 'way we think' affect acting? That's the problem, it shouldn't because it's a film.

Also, I don't think experience will get them to where we need to be. Don't get be wrong, there are a handful of marvelous Armenian actors, but that's it. There's only a few, and unlike Ararat, we're not going to cast them all up again. Armenians, especially the working actors in Armenia, are dreadful to watch. Sure, again, there might be few that are great, but that's not enough. We haven't stepped into the world of film and television professionally to have the actors and filmmakers to back us up. Having one or two good actors and filmmakers doesn't make a film.

I know what you mean but we are moving on, yekhpayr. Don't underestimate our people. We are improving and are making some interesting movies. I've seen something in our film industry that I haven't seen anywhere else ... we're simply not paying too much attention to it. We have talent and our movies have a certain something in them (especially the old ones) that just can't stop me from watching them over and over again. I've learned so much from almost all of them and I wouldn't trade them Hollywood movies for our movies any day (the old ones, not the new ones). We have something special ... we just don't know how to use/harness it properly. If Armenian filmmakers worked together and started worrying more about the movies then the money (they are starting), and if the gov. pays more attention to the theatrical institutes, I feel we will catch up to Hollywood pretty fast. Don't underestimate our people. They are smart and have lot's and lot's of talent and potential. Our nation is simply sleeping at the moment. When it wakes up ... then we'll talk .....
                    Good, then they mature enough, we'll talk.

I can't comment on what I don't know or haven't seen, but from what I have seen by Armenian filmmakers is not up to par to Hollywood standards. I have yet to see one piece of program, film, documentary or serial that is quite good. If there's so much potential out there, why can't I come across it? Is it because I'm in America and I have to wait? Okay, then I'll wait, but I know what is being made in Armenia.

Right now, we should be focused on growing in the field rather than making moves in the field. It's a good thing that film equipment is much more accessible in Armenia than before. Let them learn, let them grow. Then, maybe then, we'll be ready for a real film out of Armenia.

What really hurts me is that Armenian films from decades ago were of quality. The filmmakers and actors we used to have were of amazing talent. That's what pisses me off. Until I see a modern day film that is up to those standards, the Armenians have failed in my eyes.

Comment

You're not coming off as racist but you're coming of as ignorant. See, that's what I don't understand. When other groups of people look at Armenians and say, "Armenian? What is that, like a xxx? Or an Arab?" -- we get mad! Why? It's okay for us to not know the physical difference between other nationalities? Of course they might not look physically different to you, that's what casting directors will say for the Armenians. I highly doubt you can't make a certain actor of any descent look Armenian enough for a film. If we can successfully make Brad Pitt look 80, we can do anything.
                      Lol, I don't think it's that simple. I guess we'll all see in time.

I think ara touched on this but I'll comment on it as well. Having Armenian blood has nothing to do with physical talent or capability. How does the 'way we think' affect acting? That's the problem, it shouldn't because it's a film.
                      The way of thinking and being Armenian matters because your making a movie based on Armenians. It doesn't matter if your making a film. Your still putting your heart into whatever you do. If we were filming a movie about the west, naturally, the way we think wouldn't matter. But we aren't in this case. I firmly believe that a good Armenian actor/actress could portray an Armenian better then anyone else from any other nation could.

Also, I don't think experience will get them to where we need to be. Don't get be wrong, there are a handful of marvelous Armenian actors, but that's it. There's only a few, and unlike Ararat, we're not going to cast them all up again. Armenians, especially the working actors in Armenia, are dreadful to watch. Sure, again, there might be few that are great, but that's not enough. We haven't stepped into the world of film and television professionally to have the actors and filmmakers to back us up. Having one or two good actors and filmmakers doesn't make a film.
                      I agree . Sad but true. I didn't say let's get the movie made NOW. I'm saying let us pull ourselves together and make one hell of a movie with a great cast comprised of not only Armenians but also great actors (and more) from Hollywood.

Good, then they mature enough, we'll talk.
                      Good enough !

I can't comment on what I don't know or haven't seen, but from what I have seen by Armenian filmmakers is not up to par to Hollywood standards. I have yet to see one piece of program, film, documentary or serial that is quite good. If there's so much potential out there, why can't I come across it? Is it because I'm in America and I have to wait? Okay, then I'll wait, but I know what is being made in Armenia.
                      We're moving on One-Way. Don't tease, lol. There's no reason to do that. We just need to pull ourselves together and get serious and I see that slowly happening.

Right now, we should be focused on growing in the field rather than making moves in the field. It's a good thing that film equipment is much more accessible in Armenia than before. Let them learn, let them grow. Then, maybe then, we'll be ready for a real film out of Armenia.
                      Agreed.

What really hurts me is that Armenian films from decades ago were of quality. The filmmakers and actors we used to have were of amazing talent. That's what pisses me off. Until I see a modern day film that is up to those standards, the Armenians have failed in my eyes.
                      I feel you'll see that movie soon enough. I've heard there are some interesting movies coming out. The problem is, we've got only a few directors releasing new films. We need more ideas, more good actors, more directos, more imagination, more hard word, more funding, and more risk taking. We'll get there, let's just be a bit patient and stop criticizing our people here (I'm not saying YOU are). Everyone here is going through a tough phase and once we pull ourselves together then I feel HyeFilm will truly rise again. I hear they are renovating their main building (heard this last year) and they plan on releasing over 10-20 movies. Look forward to seeing all of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X