Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nakhichevan

I'm only 14, so if I say something that is off please
    don't insult me, because I'm just starting to study
    about Armenian history.

I was wondering what's the point of Azerbaijan having
    Nakhichevan? I mean clearly in the map you can see
    Azerbaijan has no access to it.

Can someone explain to me why Azerbaijan is still keeping
    it, and is there any chance of Armenia possibly retrieving
    Nakhichevan back?

Re: Nakhichevan

Barev Icy jan

That is a very good questions, I hope someone can answer that correctly for both of us.

I don’t know about you but it sure smells fishy doesn’t it.................this Armenian land carved by Soviet Union and the new Turkey back in the 1920s, it almost looks like a setup to hang us dry if you ask me.

This Ancient Armenian land has a long and bloody history from day one my young friend, forged with the blood of Armenian warriors, including the scene of many brutal battles of conquering armies throughout history..................waiting to be liberated by its rightful owners.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Thank you for you're reply Edo.
      I was wondering do you think Armenia will ever retrieve it back?

Comment

Well, I know w/e about Nakhichevan but I'll give it a go.

I'm guessing that Nakhichevan was never really Azerbaijan's land. The Azeri's are actually being smart for keeping it(Smart Azeri's - Oxymoron .) If we were to go to war against Azerbaijan, they can attack from both sides thus making it harder for us to deploy them back. But, we are Armenia!!! Azerbaboons will never defeat us!! :P

So yea, I'm guessing it's more of a military thing than anything else.

Other than that, it would be pointless to give Armenia Nakhichevan so they can build stronger ties with one of their best allies,Iran. That would put them in a worser situation IMO.

Comment

To be honest I think if Armenia ever goes back to war with
          Azergayjan Armenia should concur Nakhichevan.

Comment

Originally posted by Icy View Post
            I'm only 14, so if I say something that is off please
            don't insult me, because I'm just starting to study
            about Armenian history.

I was wondering what's the point of Azerbaijan having
            Nakhichevan? I mean clearly in the map you can see
            Azerbaijan has no access to it.

Can someone explain to me why Azerbaijan is still keeping
            it, and is there any chance of Armenia possibly retrieving
            Nakhichevan back?
            The baboons have Nakhichevan as a link to the turcs, they wanted/want more. See the link below to what they put before the Paris Peace Conference in 1919 :

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Good luck with your studies!!!!

Comment

Those greedy baboons, I hope one day we will get most of our
              land back.

Comment

Parev or Barev Icy and welcome to the forum. Your question is a great one to ask and I am glad to see that you are interested in the topic at such a fresh age. Don't let your age hold you back from your studies or your questions. Also, I would like to congratulate you on using the map you used in your first post in this thread and not many of the bogus ones such as Armenia without Artsakh or one with enclaved "NKAO" borders.

This post explains in the simplest and briefest way why and how Nakhichevan is currently in azerbaboonjan. What is the point of them keeping Nakhichevan? It provides a 9 km border with Turkey and technically acts as a link between both Turkic countries. It deprives Armenia of a long border with Iran too among the many strategic advantages of basically just having land. Also, if you check the former borders of Armenia (without Artsakh), you can see that all that separated Turkey and azerbaboonjan is that narrow fragile piece of land at Vayots Dzor/Syunik...

I suggest reading this interview with Artsakh war hero Jirair Sefilian about Nakhichevan and any future strategy regarding it. There are points I agree and there are points I disagree but it's sadly rare to find any Armenian official talking about a strategy regarding that part of historic Armenia so take it for what its worth. Hope this helps.

"THE NEXT MUST BE NAKHIJEVAN"
                An exclusive interview with Jirair Sefilian

- "Jarangutyun" party recently put into circulation the draft law of recognition of Nagorno Karabakh independence. What can you say on this occasion?

- If the issue is settled only with the recognition of NKR independence, I am against it. I will agree with it, if it has a logical continuation, mainly, if after it NKR unites the Republic of Armenia turning into two or more provinces of it. Besides, parallel with this we must correct our mistake of 1988 and lay claim to joining Nakhijevan to Armenia. If it is not logical continuation of the proposal of "Jarangutyun", then I am against it. Without the mentioned steps it seems that NKR becomes independent not from Azerbaijan, but Armenia, and it will do a big harm to our national unity. Before that proposal, the authorities of NKR took seriously the "fact" of being independent. By the way, it is one of the main reasons of contradictions between the citizens of Armenia and Karabakh, when Armenians being citizens of different states forget that Artsakh is part of Armenia. The creators of NKR at that time thought that they would have chances to maneuver in international political sphere. In reality, we lie to ourselves, while the so-called international society continues to regard it as an Armenian-Azerbaijani issue and does not see Artsakh as a separate side of the conflict. We must stop this clownery and organize a new referendum to unite NKR with Armenia.

- Nevertheless, according to recent Gall polls 2/3 of the questioned are for the independence of NKR.

- I don’t think that Gall polls show the real picture. The Gall polls are not for the clarification of the people’s approaches, but for the compulsion of other viewpoints. The results of that Gall poll are not only incorrect, but also very dangerous because of the advocating effect.

- Do you think that it’s the correct time to speak of not only the joining of NKR and Armenia, but also to raise the issue of Nakhijevan parallel?

- Until today, it’s not understandable for me why the Karabakh movement didn’t demand for joining Nakhijevan. Didn’t the members of Karabakh committee know that Nakhijevan was banished at the same time with Artsakh? Didn’t they know that if Garegin Njdeh did not organize the resistance of Syunik, it would also have the same fate? I have heard many explanations, which remind me justifications. But now the most important thing is not to know the real reasons of it, and not to blame the political figures of that time, but to correct the mistake, and it’s the real time and even late. The issue of Artsakh we may consider as settled by 80 percent. Nevertheless, we must not forget of the rest 20 percent: the regions of Shahumian and Getashen. We must also start the process of Nakhijevan today, though we are pretty late to start it. The moment was served two years ago by the scream of Nor Jugha’s crossstones. The Azerbaijani army’s leaders of Nakhijevan must answer for that barbaric crime. Nakhijevan must become the main issue of RA foreign policy. Diaspora must also buckle down to it, having it in the foreground instead of the recognition of the Armenian genocide.

- But Armenians were majority in Artsakh, while the Azerbaijani live in Nakhijevan.

- We are not going to force the population of Nakhijevan, Tatars by origin, to leave their homes. They must understand that they are new comers. I am sure that the population living there is very dissatisfied with its barrack-like form of life. Armenians are ready to live in peace with them, not to be rancorous. Armenia must recommend their security and provide educational, cultural and economic freedom, and roads, but the Armenian authorities must rule the region. The necessity of joining Nakhijevan to Armenia is not conditioned only with the rehabilitation of historical justice. It has also geopolitical and economic importance for nowadays Armenia’s strategy. The Azerbaijani army must leave that region, but the Armenian armed forces will not allocate there, as Nakhijevan will become an anti-military region creating the best conditions for the free market between Armenia and Iran.

- Don’t you think that it will bring to a new war, a new instability and economic collapse?

- The means of pretension must be legal, diplomatic, public, scientific-cultural, etc. All those means must serve the only goal – manifestation of the national will to re-possess Nakhijevan. The authorities of the provinces of Syunik, Vayots Dzor and Ararat must have contact in connection with it. It doesn’t mean that we rouse a war. If our enemy wants a war and is ready for it, it will not ask our opinion. It’s a well-known truth that only the week are attacked. Iran may be a good means to settle the issue and not to re-start the war, as it is a highly respected country for both sides.

- What about the economy, I am sure that the main reason that impedes the progress of the Armenian economy is the present infirm regime of Armenia, and not the Karabakh conflict.

- The transport network, which has a big role in the economy, is insufficiently developed in Armenia. With the help of Nakhijevan we could recover the railway communication with Syunik and Artsakh, and also make a railway connection with Iran, which has a strategic importance for Armenia. The gas and oil pipelines could easily go to North within the territory of Nakhijevan. It would be also possible to create an oil refining industry. Being the continuation of the Ararat valley and a significant granary of wheat, Nakhijevan could transfer Armenia from an importer of wheat to an exporter of it, and to multiply the export of other agronomical cultures. A new opportunity would be given to build a hydroelectric power station on Arax River. The benefits are evident also in the sphere of defense: instead of 150 km we would protect only 8 km border after the join of Nakhijevan. With this, we would make more invulnerable "the Armenian wedge" and will protect and develop the Northern-Southern strategy of our country.

- Do you think that it is realistic to carry out this program?

- Unfortunately, it’s not possible to carry out national programs of strategic importance under the present-day regime. Nevertheless, I think that it’s time to speak and discuss these kind of programs, in order to realize it without delay under the future national government.

Translated by L. H.

http://azg.am/?lang=EN&num=2007092106
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Thanks a lot Federate, do you mind if I call you that
                  since I don't know you're real name.
                  I've seen your past posts and threads, and I have to say you
                  are like a living encyclopedia
                  Thank you for the wonderful information.

My only question now is, do you think Armenia will ever be
                  able to retrieve Nakhichevan back?

Comment

Originally posted by Icy View Post
                    Thanks a lot Federate, do you mind if I call you that
                    since I don't know you're real name.
                    I've seen your past posts and threads, and I have to say you
                    are like a living encyclopedia
                    Thank you for the wonderful information.
                    No problem.
                    My only question now is, do you think Armenia will ever be
                    able to retrieve Nakhichevan back?
                    I don't want to speak in extremes here. All I can say is it will be much harder to get Nakhichevan back than it was for Artsakh. Why? There are zero Armenians living there. However, there used to be a few hundreds of thousands "azeris" in entire Artsakh and now there are zero so I would not rule out an Armenian Nakhichevan at all . The region also currently experiences a negative migration rate and the only people who actually settle in the region are Kurds. Check this article out... while it should be viewed with caution since the original comes from an "azeri" source, I find it's pretty credible:

THE VILLAGES ARE IN SALE IN NAXCIVAN: KURDISH FAMILIES WHO COME FROM TURKEY BUY HOUSES OF LOCAL PEOPLE

Yeni Musavat
                    June 8 2008
                    Azerbaijan

We have informed many times about the activities of the PKK [the
                    Kurdistan Workers Party] supporters in Naxcivan, their self-management
                    in the universities of this autonomous republic, the distribution of
                    the symbols and the flags of the unrecognized state of Kurdistan, the
                    harassment and the proscription of local people and the transfer of
                    the sales outlets to the people who sympathize with the PKK. The other
                    newspapers have also alarmed on this issue. The situation has reached
                    its peak. Various Azerbaijani officials have started talking about the
                    threat to the country by the PKK. The press secretary of the Ministry
                    of Foreign Affairs, Xazar Ibrahim, made such statement last week.

Inflow of Kurds from Turkey continues

Despite the statements and the media alarm, there have not been taken
                    any serious step at the official level. Therefore, the Kurdish flow
                    into Naxcivan from Turkey has intensified. According to information
                    that our editorial office received from Naxcivan, there have been
                    observed the settlement in the centres of the districts up to
                    now. The process has spread on villages lately. The families who
                    have the Turkish citizenship settle in the villages in Naxcivan that
                    have been become deserted due to economic problems. "They come to
                    villages and look for the owners of the houses that are locked. The
                    majority of the owners have moved either to Baku or to Turkey. The
                    local authorities mediate the meetings of the local people who have
                    moved to Baku with Turkish citizens. The landlords are called from
                    Baku to Naxcivan and the Turkish citizens pay them 10-12,000 dollars
                    in order to buy the property. The local people who moved to Baku many
                    years ago are happy to get that price for the houses where they have
                    not lived for many years. They think that they live in Baku and do
                    not need the property in the village".

It is interesting that the Turkish citizens who buy houses in the
                    villages of Naxcivan say that they are the Turks. The local people
                    do not doubt that the new comers are the Kurds.

Naxcivan - out of sight, out of mind

A former officer of the Ministry of National Security who has
                    [anonymously] talked with us about the issue has said that the
                    processes in Naxcivan may generate huge problems for Azerbaijan in
                    future. He thinks that the processes should have been prevented
                    at the early stages. "The tension in Naxcivan is caused by the
                    absence of the land frontiers with the autonomous republic and that
                    the Azerbaijani public and media are not able to influence it. The
                    second factor is that the local branch of the Ministry of National
                    Security in Naxcivan that is supposed to give information about the
                    processes either does not give information or the given information
                    has no impact. The local authorities in Naxcivan are not influenced
                    in appropriate manner. This is because the authorities in Naxcivan
                    enjoy an extraordinary status. None of the state institutions in
                    Azerbaijan except for the president may influence the authorities in
                    Naxcivan. The relevant state institutions may not use information
                    that they have. The fact that they are not able to influence the
                    situation might cause serious problems in Naxcivan in future. The
                    increasing settlement of the Turkish citizens with the Kurdish origin
                    in the villages of Naxcivan may cause serious problems for the local
                    inhabitants in future as well. A number of experts have also warned
                    that if the abovesaid settlement is not prevented, it may cause that
                    the separation of Naxcivan from Azerbaijan will come to the agenda
                    in near future. If the process continues this way, it may happen
                    in few years. It will result in the loss of more territories in
                    prospect. There are no doubts that the countries which are unfriendly
                    to Turkey have a serious interest in creating a hot spot on the border
                    of Turkey and Azerbaijan. It is also obvious that if the migrants
                    moving to Naxcivan will put forward political and other demands,
                    they will get support from Armenia that has land border with Naxcivan".

Our interviewee has stressed that the population of Naxcivan who have
                    always been distinguished with the spirit of resistance have lost their
                    it now. "The economic problems and unbearable political conditions
                    have caused the migration of the local people from Naxcivan. It is
                    not a secret that there are empty villages in Naxcivan. People have
                    moved either to Baku or to Turkey".

No media access to exclave

The officer of the Ministry of National Security has reminded that
                    it is impossible to send a correspondent from Baku to Naxcivan and
                    this is a serious challenge. This does not serve to the interests
                    of Azerbaijan. "The opposition politicians who are originally
                    from Naxcivan are not able to travel there. This behaviour of the
                    local authorities in Naxcivan and the fact that foreign dangerous
                    powers have found a fruitful ground there will cause a tragedy for
                    Azerbaijan. Naxcivan is settled by strangers who dislike the Turks
                    and Turkey and when the war starts with Armenia they will not protect
                    Naxcivan. They will either leave Naxcivan or support the Armenians. It
                    may result in the loss of Naxcivan. The process in Naxcivan may have
                    such causes that one shudders with horror while thinking of them. There
                    has appeared a chasm between Azerbaijan and Naxcivan. The fact that
                    the strangers who do not protect the interests of Azerbaijan are
                    brought to Naxcivan means that there is a time bomb in Naxcivan".

Our interlocutor says that there is a way how the country can escape
                    the tragedy. "Security services should combine information that they
                    have about the migration of strangers to Naxcivan with information
                    published in media and report to the president. Further, there should
                    be taken very serious measures. If steps are taken with the support of
                    the president, the above mentioned facts in Naxcivan can be neutralized
                    in few days. It is easy to put the problem to the end. There should
                    be just determination and the will.

http://groong.usc.edu/news/msg234487.html
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Working...
                    X