Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Shameful fact.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shameful fact.

Hello my fellow Armenians. My name is Tigran(17 years old) and I was born and raised in Yerevan.

Unfortunately, I currently live in Southern California, Burbank. Now I'm not sure what percentage of you live in Glendale or So-Cal, but to live in this region is absolutely EMBARRASSING. The youth know absolutely NOTHING about Armenia, Armenian history, or Armenian affairs. Now I can tolerate ignorance, but they show no interest in their own history either.

On April 24, 2009, while most of us were marching at Hollywood or at Wilshire Blvd, hundreds of Armenian teens were at Six Flags Magic Mountain, or at Disneyland! Hey, it's a holiday isn't it? Lets celebrate by showing how disrespectful one can be! When I heard people talking about going to parties or theme parks on friday, I was dumbfounded. How can one be so stupid I wondered. But then I remembered, this is Glendale. Where 80% of Armenian teens do not know how to write Armenian, and where none of them plan on going back to live in Armenia.

If one judges the entire Armenian race by having only Glendales' Armenian population to judge, they would think we are a race of stupid, materialistic, ignorant, criminal minded, disrespectful, and uneducated punks. And what bothers me the most is that if things continue the way they are now, we are going to have a stateless diaspora, neither American nor Armenian. Most of the people, already can not read/write Armenian, and the ones that miraculously do, do not plan to teach their children, let alone move back. This, will be the downfall of the already suffering diaspora.

I plan on moving out of this wretched area as soon as possible. I plan on moving back to Armenia the moment I can, to serve in the Army and to live there, because at the rate the population is decreasing there will be nobody left in 100 years. So I ask anybody reading to please, move back when you can.

Anybody else share my thoughts?

Re: A Shameful fact.

Tigran jan, I live in the area as well and it is an unfortunate fact that yes most of the youth or population under the age of 25 seem to care for nothing else but partying and how much money they can posess. You stated your case and your thoughts very well. I am sure you are a joy and bring great pride to your parents and family! Personally I salute you for being at such a young age, in such a tainted enviroment of peers, and standing strong for your convictions and your concerns! Bravo!

Comment

Tiko, you are doing the right thing. I too live in the Diaspora (not in California) (I go to Armenia every year to visit my relatives) but I plan to move back to Armenia when I finish school. Many Armenians assimilate into American society its partly their fault and their parents fault. Mi boor azg enk, so such assimilation is hard for Armenian race. One has to have a connection to Armenia to keep their Armenian culture. many of these teens think being Armenian is like wearing an armani shirt, they don't take in importance of the identity. It is also difficult in the technology age to keep culture. I see many axpars here and there that may be armenian, but act like typical american teenagers, ignoring their culture and acting American which is the worst thing one can do. Axper, vor gnas hed hayastan aveli kich k'hiastapves mer azgic.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

You're preaching to the choir axpar... you're preaching to the choir.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Tiko jan, I understand what your saying completely and I'm glad your coming back. I was born here in Yerevan (21.9.1990) and left with my family when I was one. We lived in India for seven years and then came back to Armenia. After one year, we decided to live in America and after five years there, we realized America wasn't our country. That hell was not where we belonged. We came back to India and after two years, returned to Armenia and I've been living here with my entire family for almost three years already. No one said it's easy but I feel much better here then I EVER did in the states. I think you understand why, yekhpayr ......

I understand your disgust and believe it or not, I'm more disgusted then anyone else. I've met all kinds of Armenians, more then I can remember, and I've gone through the same xxxx (if not worse xxxx then) you have. I talk proper Armenian now along with my little brother and sister, live in Yerevan, and am bringing together many, many plans to help my nation and it's people instead of complaining constantly. Our nation is going through a very difficult phase, no doubts there, but by complaining alone, we won't get anywhere. We have to move our asses and change xxxx instead of constantly complaining.

I'm very happy you want to move back but I urge you to be prepared. Don't be ready to see the holy land. There is a reason why many families left our country but the only way we can change all that is by coming back and working things out ... not by ignoring our past, our culture, and our nation. I disrespect people like that. They are not Armenians to me. They are just lost souls...

It is also difficult in the technology age to keep culture. I see many axpars here and there that may be armenian, but act like typical american teenagers, ignoring their culture and acting American which is the worst thing one can do.
          That's EXACTLY why I hate the land of the "dead-minded". I'd rather live a hard life here then live a wonderful life there. It's funny isn't it Mos? In the technology age, it was actually supposed to be easier to learn about culture and everything but instead, everything has become more difficult. In the past, people were searching for better means to teach and/or communicate. I'm sure if they saw what was happening today, they'd stop searching, lol.

The youth know absolutely NOTHING about Armenia, Armenian history, or Armenian affairs. Now I can tolerate ignorance, but they show no interest in their own history either.
          I guess we'll just have to try and change that. I'm trying something right now, hope it works.

Personally I salute you for being at such a young age, in such a tainted enviroment of peers, and standing strong for your convictions and your concerns! Bravo!
          I second that.

All the best Tiko jan. Hope to see you here in Armenia one day!
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Anush View Post
            Personally I salute you for being at such a young age, in such a tainted enviroment of peers, and standing strong for your convictions and your concerns! Bravo!
            Thank you very much koor jan.

Originally posted by Mos View Post
            Axper, vor gnas hed hayastan aveli kich k'hiastapves mer azgic.
            Huysov em tence klini.

Originally posted by Saco View Post

I second that.

All the best Tiko jan. Hope to see you here in Armenia one day!
            Likewise, I visit every winter and summer. Thank you for your comments everybody. : )

Comment

3 years later, and not much has changed

Comment

Originally posted by Tiko310 View Post
                3 years later, still there then?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiko310 View Post
                  Find a place where you're at peace with yourself and you'll be happy. and remember you don't have to live in armenia to be an armenian. Baskayaher have been doing it for more than 300 years, and they're still armenians. We western armenians have also learned to do it effectively for nearly 100 years. now it's time for hayastantsis to learn how to also. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                    Find a place where you're at peace with yourself and you'll be happy. and remember you don't have to live in armenia to be an armenian. Baskayaher have been doing it for more than 300 years, and they're still armenians. We western armenians have also learned to do it effectively for nearly 100 years. now it's time for hayastantsis to learn how to also. Good luck.
                    I am surprised you do not realise the level of assimilation taking place.
                    A check list for you,

In order to maintain a population balance reproduction ought to be around 2.2 ofsprings.
                    What is the rate of intermarriages.
                    What percentage of the 2nd generation not communicating in their mother tongue (Armenian).

Remember most of the Armenian diaspora now is in Russia, US and France/Europe and not Iran/Lebanon/Syria.
                    It should not be difficult to see where we are heading.

Also its all about the state of the Nation as a whole and not just finding a little hole, getting in and declaring I am Armenian.
                    Last edited by londontsi; 12-06-2011, 04:32 AM.
                    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Working...
                    X