Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Language and Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Language and Learning

Barev!

That's the only Armenian I know. I want to know more. My family speaks Eastern but never passed down the language to me. I've tried the courses on Armenipedia, but that assumes you know the alphabet first, which I don't.

I need to start at square 1. The absolute beginning.

Thanks!

Re: Armenian Language and Learning

Barev Dez!
    I know armenian and english a little. But I very want to study an armenian and english better!
    Excuse me from my mistakes and please tell me about them if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Anzhela View Post
      Barev Dez!
      I know armenian and english a little. But I very want to study an armenian and english better!
      Excuse me from my mistakes and please tell me about them if you can.
      Barev Anzhela and welcome to the forum! Great to see that you are interested in learning Armenian. You have come to the right place .
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Great! So what's a good way to learn Armenian? I want to learn how to speak it, but also how to read it. Speaking is much more important to me though. Would you recommend Pimsleur?

Comment

Federate Shnoragalutun! Yes shat uraxem dez ed shpvel!

Comment

Best way to learn is to learn the language rules and learn the alphabet, then get a decent dictionary, I use the Hippocrene one by Diana Aroutunian, its fairly good and it has a pronunciation guide.

Also check out Armeniapedia, Raffi has a section on learning Armenian telling you precisely how the grammar works

Here is the alphabet : http://www.omniglot.com/writing/armenian.htm

Comment

How many of you cant read Armenian?

I wonder if there are Armenian users here who can not read or write in Armenian... and maybe the ones who can not speak at all...

I can not.. but as you know, I am not an Armenian.

Comment

Re: How many of you cant read Armenian?

Brothers and Sisters,

Please disregard, please ignore everything the user "Army" writes in this forum. This turkchi is an agent provocateur. So, I'd like to ask the Admin to ban this clown as soon as possible.

Comment

Re: How many of you cant read Armenian?

Originally posted by Dashnak View Post
                  Brothers and Sisters,

Please disregard, please ignore everything the user "Army" writes in this forum. This turkchi is an agent provocateur. So, I'd like to ask the Admin to ban this clown as soon as possible.
                  Just because you are unwilling to take the time to logically explain basic things about your culture and history to odars, including Turks, does not make them an "agent provocateur". In fact, if these people indeed were agent provocateurs, they are not bad for the forum because they make some of us get practice in organizing our responses in an intellectual manner to people who traditionally can never hope to arrive at our conclusions due to their background.

Originally posted by Army View Post
                  I wonder if there are Armenian users here who can not read or write in Armenian... and maybe the ones who can not speak at all...

I can not.. but as you know, I am not an Armenian.
                  I can read in Armenian now. For a long time, I had forgotten, but due to my fervent interest to relearn everything about my language (and excel in doing so), I am on my way to being able to read and write in Armenian effectively.

Many Armenians who don't go to Armenian school tend not to know how to read and write in it if that's what you're asking. In fact, the reason why it's known by almost all Armenians in Armenia is because of the Soviets, which were heavy on education and felt that their propaganda could be better disseminated using the Armenian language in literary form. Today, that situation is no more, but we still place great importance on teaching children the alphabet from a young age.

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
                  Best way to learn is to learn the language rules and learn the alphabet, then get a decent dictionary, I use the Hippocrene one by Diana Aroutunian, its fairly good and it has a pronunciation guide.

Also check out Armeniapedia, Raffi has a section on learning Armenian telling you precisely how the grammar works

Here is the alphabet : http://www.omniglot.com/writing/armenian.htm
                  I enjoy that dictionary by Diana Aroutunian, though I don't consider her English transliteration of some of the Armenian pronounciations and their parallels in English words as the most effective. I do like that its based on Eastern Armenian though, which helps a Western Armenian get a feel for how to pronounce the words in the other major dialect.

Raffi's grammar guide for Armenian is also based on Eastern Armenian, and I find it helpful for me, though it is less helpful for someone seeking to learn Western Armenian but doesn't know any Armenian to begin with.
                  Last edited by jgk3; 09-23-2009, 03:27 AM.

Comment

jgk3:

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered if Diaspora Armenians know (or teach to their children) Armenian. Are there any primary schools or high schools abroad (USA, France etc) that an Armenian student can learn his/her own language? Also, I wonder if Armenians can learn Armenian in Turkey.

dashnak:

No comment.. Agent? lol

Comment

Working...
                    X