Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Domestic abuse in Armenian culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic abuse in Armenian culture

This issue has been referenced many times on these forums throughout the years I've been on here, but I don't recall any threads started specifically FOR it. So I have decided to start one for a couple of reasons. First, it's a place where people who have had to live in an abusive household can talk about what they've gone through, which is always helpful. Second, it's an issue we need to deal with. I've heard dozens of stories of abusive Armenian fathers, from my own immediate family, to my extended family (and we all know how extended those get), to at LEAST half the people on HyeClub that I've talked to throughout the years. Yet, sometimes when this subject is brought up, there are those Armenians who say this is NOT common, and is NOT a problem within our culture. I've just "talked to the wrong people", or "don't have enough evidence to think that". I say let's put this out in the open, and explore the issue to see if that is true, or not. I'll start off with my story since I started the topic.

My dad was about as abusive as they come. I'm not talking about spankings here and there, or "discipline". I'm talking about closed fist punches, belts (old school ones that had 3D designs made in metal on them), wire hangers, 2" x 4"s, or whatever else should be available to his hand when he was "upset", whether it was because we "misbehaved", or because he was just having a bad day. I still clearly remember once having a steak knife thrown at me because I couldn't find my keys one day after getting back from the playground. I would later find out someone else had picked them up because they thought they were his buddy's keys, and he had forgot them. I had to buzz to get in, and I knew what was coming when I got in the apartment. First he asked me how come I had to buzz to get in, saying it in a fashion that suggested "duh! Obviously we know why". I had to give him the answer, and as I did, I saw him pick up the knife. That was a new one. I turned and ran just as he chucked it. It actually stuck me in my right elbow about 1/4" - 1/2", hung for a second, and fell out. My dad's reaction (who was actually shocked because he "didn't think it would hit me") while I was trying to stop the bleeding afterwords was to say "you should be ready to take on a gang now". Yes, folks. He tried to make a joke out of stabbing one of his kids to "lighten the tension", or absolve him of his guilt.

He has knocked several of my mom's teeth out, broken a tape recorder over her head because he though she was trying to tape record his verbal abuse, torn all her clothes up with a knife because she went to bingo (yes....I said BINGO) against his orders/will, or dumped a bucket of water on her while she slept the next morning after going, and so on. I also still clearly recall the day he broke a thick hair brush over one of my sister's heads, and recall her running into the hallway of the apartment complex, as she was recently told to do (get somewhere public) during a class at school if ever in a domestic violence situation. My dad ran after her, grabbed her by the HAIR, and pulled her back into the apartment. That was the one and only time the cops were ever called despite nearly 2 decades of abuse, and naturally, they were told me and my sister were fighting. The cops asked if they could come in, and my dad told them no. I remember how shocked I was that they just took no for an answer, told us to keep it down, and left. Only later, when I got older, did I realize most cops in decent, or well-to-do towns are pussies that don't want to deal with real problems, and only act like bad asses when they write tickets for tinted windows, or no front license plate, talking as if you've committed the crime of the century. When a REAL problem arises, they're out of there. If they had seen my sister's condition, they would have HAD to have known something other than "my kids were fighting" was up. They didn't want to deal with it, so they accepted my dad's ridiculous, lame story, and left.

After 2 decades of physical and verbal abuse, and handing over half my paychecks to him from the first day I started working, while being told to pay for my own cost of living (food, gas, car insurance, clothes, school, school books, etc) with the other half (obviously an impossibility, and his attempt at indirectly making it impossible to go to school, and therefore, sabotaging my future), it all culminated into a boil over one day. My dad and I got into a heated argument about school. The semester prior to that, I had told him I couldn't afford to give him half my paycheck, pay for tuition, and still afford my school books. His response was, "then you drop out of school". So when the same thing happened the following semester, I finally lost it. Now my dad hadn't touched me in years since I towered over him after I got into my late teens, and he couldn't really physically intimidate me anymore. But he was still full of his typical temper, so on this occasion, when I had had enough, and blew up on him, he got right back into his old "you dare question anything I do or say???" mode. He told me to keep my voice down twice, and when I didn't, he picked up a floor fan next to him by the patio door, and threw it at me. I was to enraged to do what I would have done as a child at something like this, which is just curl up and prepare for impact. I literally punched the fan as it came at me, sending it back in his direction, and landing about a foot from his feet. I was practically foaming at the mouth at this point. My face was red, my veins were popping out, and my eyes clearly had the look of "I will kill you if I come over there". For the first time in my life, I watched my dad's face go a pale white. He managed to get out the words "get out of my house before I call the police", which I did. When I didn't come back that night, my parents called the police to report I was missing (mostly due to my mom freaking out; I'd never not been home before).

That night, I slept in my car in a parking lot. I had a lot of time to think over some things, and I decided it was time to move out. I was basically paying nearly full rent anyway due to giving my dad half my paycheck, as well as paying for my own living expenses, so why couldn't I just live on my own? I went back the next morning only to be b*tched out this time about why I DIDN'T come home. I didn't say a word to him. I just walked straight to my room and shut the door. That weekend, I signed a lease to an apartment, packed up what little I had, borrowed the van from work, and moved out. Shortly after that, the older of my two younger sisters ran away, staying at friend's houses. That FINALLY prompted my mom to get an apartment and move out herself so both my sister's could live with her.

And that was about the end of that. I had an on and off relationship with my dad for a few years after that, but every time the subject of abuse was brought up, he'd make comments that eventually earned him the label "Turk" from me. After decades of violence, he'd deny he did any of it, or downplayed what happened ("at least I didn't drown and kill my kids like some parents"), or blame the victims ("you were bad kids", "you didn't listen", etc). Anything he could do to absolve himself of guilt. But what struck me the most is how pissed off he'd get when the subject was brought up (again, like a Turk). He'd also still babble about how we hadn't amounted to anything, and we're throwing our lives away (this coming from a man who was either on unemployment, or cleaning toilets), despite him being the REASON why we couldn't get anywhere. Basically, out of jealousy, or need to make himself feel better about his worthless life, he set us up for failure so that he could have something to put us down for. After another blowout one day, I cut it off with him, and haven't spoken to him, or seen him in years, which actually feels quite good. I've gotten so comfortable with it that if he died tomorrow, I couldn't care less. The only way I'd go to his funeral is if it was an open casket, so I could piss in it.

Anyhow, I may not be a phD, or be making $100k+/yr, or be driving a Beamer or Merc, but I never cared for or desired those things, so it doesn't bother me. I have never had a problem putting food on the table, keeping a roof over my head, or affording any of my daily living expenses, nor have I had to deny myself "a night out on the town", or any miscellaneous things I've wanted to buy. I'm doing OK. Today, I literally have ZERO debt. No credit card payments, no car loans, NOTHING. How many people who make way more than me can even claim that? I also did whatever I could to make sure the younger of my 2 sisters got through school (covered her car insurance many times, lent her cash when needed, etc), and she is now employed with the government after earning a Bachelor's Degree in social work. So much like the Turks, despite my dad's best efforts, we actually ended up doing OK. Perhaps not everything I had hoped for, but still MUCH further along than what HE had hoped for.

............and the prince and princess lived happily ever after. The End!

Re: Domestic abuse in Armenian culture

Nice! You moved out quite smart.

I remember one day when i was around 8-9 my mom and dad had fought and were arguing. He got mad at my mom and threw a phone on the wall. I thought it hit her. When he went downstairs to start the car I went down with him. I called out Pap and he turned. I wagged my finger at him and said, "El mamayis che xupes." He got mad and grabbed my finger and kicked my ass with his foot. Yup and that was the end of that.

Comment

Crim, good for you for helping yourself and then your family. I'm sorry you had to endure all of that, but I hope your experience will give hope to anyone else in this kind of situation that they can get out.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Bro, I had no idea you faced all of that man, and my deepest sympathies for all of that, I know how it can be in situations like that and many people don't realize that its so prevalent in society nor the damage it causes, and escaping from it is sometimes equally hard, particularly if you have brothers and sisters living in that household, its nice to see that you took care of them as well, it took guts standing up to your dad like that and as you said sometimes the best revenge is living well ya know

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story. I was very saddened by it but at the same time very happy that you've come out strong, beautiful and lively. As you can see, we always need for people like you who speak up about and confront such issues openly and then as a result stimulate the courage in others to notice similarities and come clean gradually.

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
          This issue has been referenced many times on these forums throughout the years I've been on here, but I don't recall any threads started specifically FOR it. So I have decided to start one for a couple of reasons. First, it's a place where people who have had to live in an abusive household can talk about what they've gone through, which is always helpful. Second, it's an issue we need to deal with. I've heard dozens of stories of abusive Armenian fathers, from my own immediate family, to my extended family (and we all know how extended those get), to at LEAST half the people on HyeClub that I've talked to throughout the years. Yet, sometimes when this subject is brought up, there are those Armenians who say this is NOT common, and is NOT a problem within our culture. I've just "talked to the wrong people", or "don't have enough evidence to think that". I say let's put this out in the open, and explore the issue to see if that is true, or not. I'll start off with my story since I started the topic.
          People often tend to think that bad things such as domestic abuse, molestation, cancer or... just happen to the people next door… until he/she experiences it and feels it on his/her skin and only then it changes his/her life forever.

Regarding your mother, I believe if she had a strong familial support- from her parents or siblings- she may have made more daring decisions...

Comment

I can resemble something in the steak knife story;

My father was also very aggressive but not in everyday, just when you xxxxed up in his way. He never used belts or etc like yours but;

At 4 he threw a big ketchup bottle in my face at a family dinner apparantly cause I didn't give him the salt. I had all my relatives there too and none did a thing to help me while I was crawling half unconcious and half confused. This thing changed my life forever. I remember every bit with full clarity like a HD movie, my respect for these people is 0. Today when they ask why are you so withdrawn to us it feels like a blow every time. Is it possible to forget a thing like this?

At 6 he threw a bottle of yoghurt into my face with similar result as above for getting angry when he made my mother cry.

At 7 I was playing in a big sack that was a remaining from christmas earlier and he told me to go sleep, I said no I like to play in it. He lifted the sack up and threw it with me in it with all his powers into the floor so I injured my tailbone. Then he lifted me in my leather belt which caused incredible pain and threw me crying into bed. I did not walk for a week.

At 8 he lifted me up hard against a wall and smacked me into it because I had mimiced his rude behaviour when I asked if we could go rent a videogame.

At 10 He slammed open my bedroom door and threw a electrical charger he found that missed my head with not much and hit a concrete wall that the teeth of it pierced right trough and got stuck. All because I couldn't sleep and was trying to talk myself to sleep maybe a bit loud. I always wonder what would've happened if it hit me in the head.

At 13 I was playing games with friends and he decided to come in just to irritate me, I said get the hell out man please.. And pushed him out gently. He then rear choked me infront of my friends.

At 14 he beat me bloody/unconcious and called me racist because I didn't like islam or blacks when we were fighting against those groups in school.

At 15 he chased me for 10-15 minutes with a frying pan for calling him a xxxxing bastard when he made mother cry. I ran to the other side of town and when I got back door was locked and I was not welcome. I called my mother tho and she opened it for me at midnight. I made a rope ladder and locked my door incase he would come again.

At 19 By this time I was now at the gym 4 days a week and the MMA center 3 days, I had grown very big and was still very messed up in my head. I was sleeping one day and my father slammed my door open and yelled at me and asked me to clean the house. I punched him real hard and then threw him away like a ragdoll. I told him, if you ever raise your voice or try to command me again I will kill you right here on the spot without a problem.

Today years later he has not bothered me.

With things like this happening you don't need everyday abuse. The shock of each event is enough to keep your head messed up forever. I live a very good life today but I am still broken today and nothing can replace or repair these horror memories.

Comment

I feel very bad and I am sorry for what you have gone through and for your sisters Glow, but you are in my eyes now a heroic man. You have become a great provider for your sisters and turned out to be basically a great guy.

It is very unfortunate but I have heard also abusive but somewhat different stories from some other friends. It's horrible when a young person has to go through this much of abuse and the abusive person isn't punished. It's downright criminal.

Again Glow, I am so proud of you and how you came out to be a wonderful person. Not ontly for yourself; but for your siblings too. God bless you!

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                I feel very bad and I am sorry for what you have gone through and for your sisters Glow, but you are in my eyes now a heroic man. You have become a great provider for your sisters and turned out to be basically a great guy.

It is very unfortunate but I have heard also abusive but somewhat different stories from some other friends. It's horrible when a young person has to go through this much of abuse and the abusive person isn't punished. It's downright criminal.

Again Glow, I am so proud of you and how you came out to be a wonderful person. Not ontly for yourself; but for your siblings too. God bless you!
                Yea, he is truly glowing and it's burning my eyes.

Comment

I'd like to point out that many immigrant families have these issues because they are forced to uproot their lives for the promise of a better life and in turn many end up having to inherit a whole new slew of problems while becoming slave laborers in their new country. This is in no way a phenomenon to any one culture. It's like a fish experiencing stress when you take it out of water. I think we can all say that Armenians have been getting kicked around a lot since that not so memorable event that occured during WWI. I'm not making excuses for your father in any way, but pointing out what I've seen with friends that I had growing up which were from many different cultures and backgrounds.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Wow this is seriously abuse. I don't know about you guys but my dad only hit me when I did stupid things that today I would agree with getting my ass beat. He still loved and took care of our family but just wow.

Comment

Working...
                    X