Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian dialectology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian dialectology

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    Yes, but my point was it should not be done under the name of Armenian dialects for the language in some of the regions has not gone through a natural evolution but influenced by foreign elements and thus distorted in my opinion.
    Isn't that the point? Which language hasn't been influenced due to interaction with other cultures? It's hard to undo something if you can't find out what has been done to it.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Yes, but my point was it should not be done under the name of Armenian dialects for the language in some of the regions has not gone through a natural evolution but influenced by foreign elements and thus distorted in my opinion.
      Lucin, I find it premature to consider that the only things that can be considered as Armenian are modern Western, modern Eastern, Middle Armenian and Grabar.

Those were just standard varieties which were institutionalized by a political center. In reality, they are no different from any other dialect.

If you want to hold a purist position on what Armenian should be like, please empty our language of Aramaic and Iranian loan words. We won't have a complete language anymore and I doubt anyone will want to speak this purist form.

Also, our alphabet is very powerful when it comes to representing phonetic accuracy in speech, so I commend our priests or writers from Van, Mush, Diyarbekir or Artsakh when they wrote their texts 100 years ago because they have passed down a reliable record for how they talked to eachother back then (allowing us to treat their texts as true representations of their dialect). If they all just stuck to the standard through and through, first of all, the locals might have trouble understanding them, and second, we would lose access to how they really spoke.

This second fact in my opinion is most unfortunate when we try to deal with Armenian linguistic history in the first millenium AD/CE, as from what I gather, writers and priests fervishly kept up with the standardized Grabar at the expense of using dialects that were current at the time. The result is that the Armenian language, spoken in the Caucasus and in Anatolia, can only be represented by a single, officialized dialect used nowhere in real life, not even in the palace because the King would probably not understand it. It only existed in the minds of intellectuals and not the general population.

Also, due to the fact that Armenian represents a distinct branch in the Indo-European family, we can reconstruct nothing further from our past than Grabar. This is because we cannot compare Grabar to any other form of Armenian that was current in the first millenium AD. Who knows, maybe there was a form that preserved more Armenian words that Grabar replaced with Iranian and Aramaic ones. But thanks to the feverish conservatism of our writers (which was good politically for Armenian cultural sovereignty in the longrun), we will never know what those words are.

Therefore, I see no reason to repeat the same action again when it comes to observing alternative dialects to the standard in our modern era. We will not hurt ourselves by taking an interest in non-standard dialects, paying attention to what elements of foreign languages were favoured by our bilinguial kughatsis

All in all, language is not a competition. I have noticed a thread where Siamanto, Armenian and yourself have competed in who used the best orthography in Armenian, which supposedly translates into who knows most about the Armenian Language. There is nothing further from the truth you guys... When we talk with family or friends, we don't give a xxxx about how its written. We periodically delete certain letters, add foreign elements, rearrange the "proper order" of a phrase and pronounce our ուs and իւs in a way that you'd get smacked for if you were learning Grabar in the 5th century. And yet, it is we, not the textbooks, that create these languages. Armenian, or any language/dialect (they are technically the same thing) comes from our minds, the speakers, not from textbooks and a mean teacher who reprimands those who don't treat language like mathematics, where there has to be one right answer. This attitude of keeping with the standard during our education is called prescriptive language, and periodically contradicts what you know of your own native language. It is in essence, another language we are learning when we are being corrected in class, and not in fact the "right" or "pure" language that we "should" be speaking.

Languages change, it's natural. Instead of shunning what is "wrong", lets learn what eachother does and enjoy the ride. We'll probably be more cultured (and linguistically savy) as a result of it.

I consider learning standard variety as most useful if you want a cross-community means of communication. However, I consider that it becomes a cultural cancer when it prejudices non-standard varieties and tries to wipe them off the face of the earth, no matter how many loan words, "ungrammatical usages" or "mispronounciations" they may contain.
      Last edited by jgk3; 09-20-2009, 11:46 AM.

Comment

J, yes languages change and evolve throughout time but how and under what conditions and by who? There are changes which are natural, complimentary and healthy to any language, but there are also changes which may destroy the essence of the language, there are influences which corrupt our language. We have quite some loan words from Persian for instance which fill a gap in the language and are an integral part of it. Mashdots himself has been influenced by a number of languages. But the changes our language is going through, especially in the Homeland today are corruptive. We see a huge number of Latin and especially English terms/ words invading the media, the newspapers and people's daily conversations, replacing proper Armenian words. Are you going to do a research on it under the name of 'Armenian' dialect of Yerevan and accept it as it is? That is obviously not Armenian nor it is a natural evolution under natural conditions. Likewise, in some of these dialects Vaux has researched, especially in the phonetics field, I noticed vast distorting abusive influence from Turkic languages. There is practically no 'դ'/ 'գ' /'բ'/ 'փ' or the vowels are not being pronounced properly. That is what I call unnatural and under unnecessary foreign influence, which is obviously not enriching the Armenian language in any way. So I wouldn't want to enjoy such a 'ride'

And I'm not against carrying out such researches on various dialects spoken inside and outside Armenia. Actually it says a lot about the state of our language.
        Last edited by Lucin; 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

And I'm not against carrying out such researches on various dialects spoken inside and outside Armenia. Actually it says a lot about the state of our language.
          I agree, it's always good to monitor this.

However, language is a property of human beings, not of political considerations of what is "Armenian" or what is "English".

I agree that it pays off to keep a conservative form of Armenian active when it comes to the official language, as it is a centralizing force which brings an entire nation together. However, there is nothing inherently wrong with using Turkish loanwords in the house, it is just a relic our ancestors living amongst Turks under Ottoman rule.

We "make" it wrong. Even I make it wrong. My entire family is Bolsahay and they use Turkish words all the time because it is part of their native dialect. I am the only one who questions these things and tries to exclude Turkish elements from my speech, except for the work "Hich/Hitch" which means "votch inch", because I find it faster to say than "votch inch" when my grandmother asks me "Inch ga chiga Jefris imin?"

So to reiterate, our purist attitudes concerning language are just that, attitudes. Why? Because language doesn't exist anywhere outside of our own minds, whether you are reading it, speaking it or hearing it. There is nothing out there in the physical world called "language", in the sense that there are rocks and atomic particles.

Language is something we are genetically configured to acquire, to build a grammar in our heads that decides what works and what doesn't work. And we all acquire this grammar differently, based on our own experience. If you grew up in a household that used the word "oto/auto" instead of "inknasharj" (which seems to be the case for every Armenian I know), you will absolutely NOT say inknasharj, ever! And if some day, in school, you learn about the word inknasharj, you'll only use it in class when your grades are at stake if you don't use it!

Why do we all say "mersi" instead of Shnorhakal em? Maybe it's just more handy? I mean, the fact that ever since we could remember, we've heard Armenians say "mersi" must mean it had a very fertile start among Armenian speakers when it was a brand new acquisition into our language.

What does this tell us about loan words in our colloquial speech Lucin? Whether they are French, Arabic, Turkish, Russian or Persian in origin? Can you provide me a theory that explains why we would be more ready to accomodate a word item like "oto" and "mersi (merci)" than other loanwords? Also, can you explain me the value of taking the effort to say inknasharj and shnorhakal em each time you want to say car or thank you? In my opinion, it's good to know the real Armenian words, but not having to use them as they are so odd sounding in our natural speech!

And sound changes are very normal throughout history. Why do we pronounce Knight in Englist like "nite"? It was historically pronounced [kuh-ni-gut], as its spelling suggests. So what happened to the Anglo-Saxons? Did they lose their edge somewhere down the line? If you look at it from a historical perspective, it appears that the English stopped pronouncing k followed by n sounds, just as in the word knell (a type of bell).

Speaking of the English, I'm sure if you travelled to England before television became easily affordable and don't just stay in London, you will see a situation of the so called "English language" where every region pronounces things differently, much like the situation was in Anatolia among the Armenians. You would find a place called Somerset, where many environments for "s" in standard English were voiced, thus, "z"s, and they called their city Zomerzet, even though the official maps issued by London call it Somerset. Nonetheless, this dialect of English actually is responsible for a loanword to standard English, the word "vat", which is a large container. It has the same etymology of "fat", which historically must've also referred to "big things", but the Zomerzet folk, who like to voice their fricatives before a vowel, sold the Londoners "Vats" as opposed to "Fats" at the marketplace, and so when the Londoners went back home, they called their large containers "vats" too, they way they learned it in Somerset, despite the fact that their official language would not approve, and lo and behold, today the official language has the word vat in it!

I tell you this story because I believe this sheds light on the merit of approach language as a result of dialects interacting together, where certain forms gain currency and others die out, and is not based on racial or political considerations unless we really go out of our way to make it so. I think the reason the situation is so sensitive with Armenian today is because those living in Armenia speak a Russified Eastern Armenian (as do Armenians living inside of Russia) as their standard language while maintaining several kughatsi dialects, while Iranian Armenians cling onto their own preserved variety of Eastern Armenian (despite the fact that they mix in persian words), and Western Armenians, who while preserving a "clean" Armenian for school and official purposes, use god knows how many Turkish loanwords colloqually and even their grammar are flexible in ways that are strikingly similar to Turkish. If we all tried to talk to eachother in our native dialects, we would not understand eachother for quite some time, until we explained ourselves, and so all we have, all we can cling to for any hope to find some sense of similarity, is our official, "pure" Armenian. In my opinion, the value of this is moreso one of practicality than of ethnic honour. If we were looking for honour, maybe we should go learn Grabar
          Last edited by jgk3; 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I think J hit the nail on the head with the 'oto' and 'inknacharj' ... it's like using "car" or "automobile". One is more proper but the other is more convenient in conversation. And you don't teach a child to say inknacharj or automobile... oto or car is more appropriate for developing speech.

While on the subject of turkish loan words... is "daha" Armenian? or is it just used improperly instead of "aveli".
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              While on the subject of turkish loan words... is "daha" Armenian? or is it just used improperly instead of "aveli".
              Good question, I'm pretty sure it's a loan word, and I've asked my mom and grandmother about it already, to which in response they could not identify what word I was asking about, maybe because I don't hear the h when they say it and always ask them, "There, you just said it again, Daa (I just hear a long a sound)!, what does that mean (I already know what it means intuitively, I just wanted them to consider it)?! Is that Turkish?!"

I guess tonight I'll ask again where it comes from.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it's more like da-ah

Comment

A possible key to understanding the weird vowels found in Cilician Armenian dialects, a showcase on Marash Armenian. Definitely helps me understand what's going on in the lyrics of the song Hele Hele nina-ye: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~lingpub/misc/bert/vowel.pdf

Thank you Bert!

I like how you finish your paper:

Last edited by jgk3; 09-23-2009, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Here Jeff, Armenian dialect from Musa Dagh authored by Bert Vaux with introduction by Franz Werfel (40 days of Musa Dagh) and none other than Levon Ter-Petrossian

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

awesome find fed, I enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                      X