Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What is it like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it like...

...in Armenia?

A small introduction about me: I'm only 1/4 Armenian, but I'm learning the language and plan to earn my PhD in Ancient Armenian history. I don't know why I'm so interested in Armenia, however. I came here to learn all I can.

Re: What is it like...

Hi Julia and welcome. I think everyone of us can say so many things about Armenia (most of it good of course), however, essentially it will come down to you personally to visit Armenia and see it for yourself with your own eyes and take it from there.

It is after all, like so many things, a personal choice and opinion. Having said that here is a personal opinion - glad you have taken such keen interest in your Armenian heritage!

Comment

What part of Armenia do you personally suggest that I visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
        ...in Armenia?

A small introduction about me:...I'm learning the language and plan to earn my PhD in Ancient Armenian history. I don't know why I'm so interested in Armenia...
        Because Armenian blood runs deep in you............the history of an epic survival of a remarkable people against all odds.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Before I read up on articles on Armenia, I honestly did
          not know anything about Armenia itself. Armenia has had
          a harsh past, but each part of its history is like a puzzle,
          you have to read from many legit sources to find out the
          truth.

Comment

You can see a lot in a short time! Go to Yerevan first and there will be lots of places around it you can easily get to. Garni is worth a visit to plus sevan. There is hardly anywhere in Armenia where you can endup and not find a piece of history and natural beuty side by side.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

The mountains of Tilijan are superb! I would visit there, then Gyumri, which is the 2nd largest city up on the north part of Armenia. Then Girovagan, but do not forget to visit Etchmiadsin, built in 303 AD, and also Vayots Dsor and Jermuk. Jermuk is beautiful and you can repose there and take a good rest by Jermuk's falls. Then you must go to Artsakh, unfortunately I haven't seen it yet and it's a must!!! Enjoy the beauty of Armenia and have a safe trip and while you're at it take me with you!!
              Last edited by Anoush; 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Okay, thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

and dont forget to go to Sevana Leech :P

Comment

Yerevan (the capital of Armenia with a lot of places to visit especially museums like History Museum of Armenia and National Gallery in Republic Square - priceless, very old artifacts and masterpieces here, Erebuni Museum near Erebuni fortress on Arin Berd hill dated to 782 BC - which is considered the birth year of Yerevan - so definitely see the ruins of Erebuni, Saryan Museum, Charents Museum, Parajanoff Museum, the Matenadaran Museum Depository of Ancient manuscripts where some of the ancient and medieval Armenian illuminated manuscripts are displayed, the Armenian Genocide Monument and Museum on Tsitsernakberd Hill etc. etc. there quite a lot of museums in Yerevan), Garni Temple (First Century AD Mithraic Temple) with the adjoining colorful mosaics in the antique Garni baths and Garni Gorge with natural (but seemingly man made) cliffs right below. Nearby is the medieval monastery of Geghard, again built on heathen Temple chiseled right out of the massive cliff! As in all Armenian monasteries some very beautiful Armenian khachkars (cross-stones) are throughout the grounds of the monastery. Ruins of the beautiful fifth century Ereruyk Basilica on the right banks of Arax river facing Ani. In northern Armenia various monastic complexes like Odzun, Sanahin, Gndevank, Kecharis, Hovannavank, Haghpat, Akhtala, Goshavank as well as many others (I can list additional monuments if you wish).

Near Armavir, Sardarapat Victory Monument (over invading Turkish army) along with the Armenian Ethnographic Museum. Visit the nearby Metsamor Museum (again in Armavir province) where you can see some of the very old Armenian artifacts from the Stone age all the way through Bronze and Iron ages. Metsamor was a very important metal smelting and producing center throughout the whole Near East.In Vagharshapat, there are a lot of churches and monasteries (The seat of Armenian Apostolic Church at Etchmiadzin's Mother Cathedral from early fourth century built upon an older Mithraic temple, ruins of the 7th century superb Zvartnots Cathedral, St. Gayane, St. Hripsime, St. Gevorg etc.). Khor Virap Monastery overlooking the beautiful Mount Ararat right above - where according to tradition St. Gregory the Illuminator was imprisoned for many years before his release and conversion of Armenia to Christianity in 301 AD. Visit Lake Sevan (largest lake within the borders of the Armenian Republic) there are two beautiful medieval monasteries on the peninsula of the lake. Visit the ruins of the imposing medieval Amberd fortress and Marmashen monastery in Aragatsotn province (central Armenia) on the slopes of breathtaking Mount Aragats with high elevation and breathtaking scenery. A visit to the nearby Byurakan Observatory (including the museum of the Observatory and the largest telescope tower) where Armenian astrophysicist Victor Hambardzumyan made many astronomical discoveries would also be very good. As with all these monuments lots and lots of history behind them.

Visit Armenia's second and third largest cities - Gyumri and Vanadzor - respectively in Shirak and Lori provinces in the north, if you have a chance some very nice monuments and scenery here. Lori province is sometimes called the Switzerland of Armenia because of its lush green forests. In Vayots Dzor province the beautiful Norashen monastery and the ruins of medieval Gladzor university, in Syunik province there are many important monuments like the still standing Tatev Monastery and University. There is also the many millennia old Karahunge or Zorats Karer circle that is the parallel of Stonehenge. There are also rock pictographs dating to the dawn of history, in the foothills of Ughtasar (Syunik) and Geghama (Lake Sevan basin) mountains. Visit the ruins of Spitakavor church in Syunik, where the remains of Armenian National Hero Garegin Nzdheh are interned. If you have a chance visit Artsakh (to the east of the Armenian Republic adjoining Syunik province of RA) also which is an independent republic in its own right. The landscape there is also amazingly beautiful! While amongst the important monuments of Artsakh are the Gandzasar and Dadivank monasteries with many many other landmarks in cities like Stepanakert and Shushi.

You would also want to visit Yerevan State University and American University of Armenia (also in Yerevan) to talk about Armenian history courses there since that would be of interest to you! This is only tip of the iceberg so do speak, since there is so much to see and so much to do in Armenia!
                    Last edited by Catharsis; 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X