Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What's the World-wide Armenian population?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the World-wide Armenian population?

Originally posted by DennisTheMen View Post
    Some sites say 6,000,000 or 7,000,000 then some sites say 10,000,000 or 12,000,000...
    does anyone know the exact statistics.
    TheMeeeeeee...n!

Some sites say there are 1.5M Turks/Tatars in Turkey. Out of 72M population 24M are Kurds 16M converted to Islam concealed Armenians and the rest - are half-breed Armenians, Greek, Assyrians, Persians etc. Does anyone know the exact statistics?
    Last edited by gegev; 09-09-2010, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Turks are 58-70M world-wide it is true that in Turkey a lot of ethnic groups especially on the Eastern side of Turkey are Kurds/xxxs/Assyrians/

Comment

thousands of Armenians scattered by genocide and invasion through the centuries have fled to lands as far apart as Hungary to Afghanistan. Their descendants today have been assimilated. The true figure may be much more than 10 million, if assimilated Armenians are included

Comment

Originally posted by lamp
          thousands of Armenians scattered by genocide and invasion through the centuries have fled to lands as far apart as Hungary to Afghanistan. Their descendants today have been assimilated. The true figure may be much more than 10 million, if assimilated Armenians are included
          That is true, if we count the true accuracy of Armenians in the whole world that aren't assimilated then we would be around 6-7M world-wide but if we count the Assyrians/xxxs/Kurds/Arabs/ who adopted Armenian culture and changed there sur-names to Armenian then we would be over 12M for sure....

It's hard to track Armenians world-wide when a lot of Armenians with Armenian names are just assimilated..

Comment

if we count the true accuracy of Armenians in the whole world that aren't assimilated then we would be around ..........

If you really want to be accurate then you should discount also those who are in danger of assimilation, because by definition anybody who is in danger of assimilation .... its only a matter of time.

Its no different when you go shopping with $100 in your pocket and claim
            you will have $100 since you would have spent part of it by the end of the day.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
            Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
            Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

That is true, if we count the true accuracy of Armenians in the whole world that aren't assimilated then we would be around 6-7M world-wide but if we count the Assyrians/xxxs/Kurds/Arabs/ who adopted Armenian culture and changed there sur-names to Armenian then we would be over 12M for sure....

It's hard to track Armenians world-wide when a lot of Armenians with Armenian names are just assimilated..
              Don't say we when you refer to Armenians, as you are not Armenian.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
                TheMeeeeeee...n!

Some sites say there are 1.5M Turks/Tatars in Turkey. Out of 72M population 24M are Kurds 16M converted to Islam concealed Armenians and the rest - are half-breed Armenians, Greek, Assyrians, Persians etc. Does anyone know the exact statistics?
                Though what you wrote is exaggerated, it is true that "true Turks" in Turkey are few in number. There is a people called the Yuruks who are exclusively Turkish but that is really about it.

Turks are a wide mix of Turkic (Uzbek, Turcoman, etc) with Slav, Georgian, Greek, Armenian, Persian, Arab, Kurdish, Assyrian, xxxish, and Levantine (Venetian). What has to be remembered is that when the Seljuks and later the Osmanlis arrived, the men came only. After they established themselves in the region, first as mercenaries, adopting Islam and later forming empires, they were able to integrate the local populations who were squabbling amongst themselves and often times at odds with the Byzantines. Whole villages, towns, even regions joined them either out of spite to the Byzantines or coercion. Later through the formation of the Janissary and Devshirme, the process would continue. Though no people are pure anything, it is plausible that most Turks do not have any Central Asian lineage whatsoever.

You'll have a hard time telling an Armenian or Turk from each other though often you can notice some Turks having more asiatic features.

When the Seljuks arrived, they came came in hordes on horseback and were solely male. They worked as mercenaries before forming their own short-lived
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Same applies to Armenians. Some Armenians have some asiatic features as well. We're all the same. Our only difference is the religion and language.

We're all really part of the same nation. Anatolia. If there was a federation called Anatolia, with semi-independent republics of Armenia, Turkey, Greece, Lazistan, Pontus, Cyprus, Kurdistan, Assyria, all with our local linguistic and religious rights, working together, we would all probably be happy, unless, of course, the same fate as Yugoslavia would partition us. Most Turks are actually extremely nice people. Our enemies are the fascists and the corrupted leaders (and honestly, the fascists among us are also our own enemies). If it were that easy, I'm sure this "Anatolian Federation" would have been part of the super powers of today. Just a nice thought, no?

On the subject of this thread:
                  Armenians around the world? It's hard to tell. Western Armenians are marrying non-Armenians, thus, doing what Turkey hopes we do (Ճերմակ Ջարդ). I wouldn't count those as Armenians anymore, as the chances that they return to their origins are slim. Then there are those Armenians who went to Armenians schools, and have Armenian parents, but beyond saying "I'm of Armenian descent," they don't give a xxxx about their nation (even though they wouldn't put it this way, it's the truth). There's this trend (which I was stupidly part of for a little while until some sense was knocked into me) where Disapora Armenians look at their Armenian language/alphabet as a useless thing, some even hate it. I've asked some of my friends sometimes, "when was the last time you wrote in Armenian?" and they answer me "I don't even remember how to write my name in Armenian haha."

What a shameful thing to say! Your great grandmother struggled to survive so you end up this way? What would your great grandmother think???

I'd say Armenians who actually associate themselves as Armenians in a true way, and who try to stay connected to the community and Armenia, and who try to link themselves to Armenia, and who say "above all, I am Armenian, then I am American [or whatenot]," are probably not more than 5-6 million worldwide. A lot of them are a lost cause, and will without a doubt end up abandoning their past.

Sooner or later, Western Armenians will assimilate and completely vanish. I bet by the time our generation is old, this will be the MAIN issue of Armenians worldwide, and the few of us who will still be aware of who we really are are going to fight it when it's already too late. Your kids are going to be tempted to marry foreigners, and their kids will MOST PROBABLY marry foreigners, UNLESS you make a good example on them. The time to fight it is now. Don't fight assimilation, and you'll be making anti-Armenian Turks very happy.

The only way to solve this is for Armenia to invest and make a system where each and every single Armenia abroad, who goes to a Diaspora Armenian school, are automatically linked to Armenia (or something like Israel did to xxxs when it was founded, and still today). Something like an id card owned by all Armenians, linking everyone to a community (dunno, an idea I just threw on the fly). But as long as Armenia is blockaded, and must spend the large % of their money on this Karabakh/Turkish conflict, the chances of Armenia doing more than it is already is trying to is slim at best. The longer the Karabakh conflict lasts, the happier Turks are, because the more our hands are tied, and the more our people will stay away from our homeland, and the more our people will have chances of assimilating. and if this happens, Eastern Armenians will practically be left alone, and at the next major war, invaded, and the final chapter of Armenian history will begin (something we might not see, but will inevitably happen, unless armageddon happens before )

It LITERALLY takes a SECOND national awakening (like in the 19th century) for all Armenians worldwide. Otherwise, the Diaspora will be a page in history, and we'll vanish like the polish Armenians.

This is my opinion on the "Armenian" population worldwide.
                  Last edited by SevSpitak; 09-10-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I agree with you completely..

though if we count the Kurds/xxxs/Assyrians/Iranians with adopted Armenian culture and sur-name we would be over 10 million... but if we count the true Armenians we would be 7-8M at most.

Comment

We must all remember: most of us are not emigrants. We are in the four corners of the world because we were forced to be. And our homeland is not in the situation to support such a population for now. He have host countries, which we owe a lot to. But we are refugees, generation after generation, always waiting to return to our homelands.

I don't consider myself an American of Armenian descent. I consider myself an Armenian living in America temporarily (whether I will spend my life in America or not is irrelevant, to me, my bloodline will surely lead back to Armenia when the time is right).

To me, this mentality alone will rebuild our nation to the way we all want it to be.

To me, a true Diaspora Armenian is one who will make sure his/her offsprings speak, write, learn in Armenian, and knows whatever there is to be known about Armenia, and will do whatever s/he can for Armenia. An Armenian eating his mom's litsk and putting a flag of Armenia in the car is not being a true Armenian. Knowing this is my criteria to count Armenians worldwide, there is surely not more than 5-6 million Armenians. Of course, this is 100% guess/opinion.
                      Last edited by SevSpitak; 09-10-2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X