Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia: Iranian-Armenians Struggle to Change Image as “Foreigners”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenia: Iranian-Armenians Struggle to Change Image as “Foreigners”

Yes even Iranian-Armeians have trouble finding acceptance in Armenia and with native Armenians...

Armenia: Iranian-Armenians Struggle to Change Image as “Foreigners”
    October 18, 2010 - 1:42pm, by Gayane Abrahamyan

Armenia’s diaspora is renowned for maintaining strong ties to the Motherland. But members of at least one diaspora group who have returned to Armenia – Iranian-Armenians – say they are encountering difficulty in gaining acceptance in Yerevan.

Iran, which borders Armenia to the south, is home to an estimated 70,000-90,000 ethnic Armenians, descendants of those who migrated in the 17th century to then-Persia to work as craftsmen and artists. The two countries share close historic, diplomatic and economic ties. Armenia, in fact, was once part of the Persian Empire.

Even so, these days many Armenians see Iran, a Muslim society, and their own country as a world apart.

In a series of interviews with EurasiaNet.org, ethnic Armenians from Iran who have returned to Yerevan claimed that they routinely experience discrimination in Armenia. The prices they pay as “Persians” [the name often used in Armenia for Iranians] for hospital care, food staples and various retail goods can be several times more expensive as the fees charged to locals, they claimed.

Forty-three-year-old homemaker Armine Darsbidian, who moved to Armenia in 2000 from Tehran and holds an Armenian passport, recounts how parents at her son’s Yerevan high school called on her as a “rich Persian” to donate more money to supplement the school’s budget. “Why Persian? My family lived in Iran for a century, but we always tried to avoid Iranians. We never invited any of them to our house,” fumed Darsbidian.

Darsbidian also claimed that she was charged double for an ultrasound at a Yerevan hospital, where staff claimed that they had the right to charge separate, higher fees for foreigners. The practice was abolished in 2008. A hospital manager told EurasiaNet.org that Darsbidian might have been charged in error.

Another Iranian-Armenian agreed that such circumstances often occur. “Yes, there is not such a very warm attitude, but it is because we are very different with our traditions,” said Murad Khechoian, a member of the Union of Armenians in Iran. “We live in a different atmosphere, so it can be that this will only go on until locals get used to us.”

Iranian-Armenian repatriation is not a new phenomenon. In 1946-48, a repatriation program saw 20,000 Iranian-Armenians return to Armenia; roughly another 20,000 came back during the 1970s.

The Ministry of Diaspora Affairs, created in 2008 to strengthen ties between Armenia and diaspora Armenians, maintains that intolerance toward Iranian-Armenians or other diaspora Armenians groups is not an issue. Ministry representatives cite a state-funded program, Ari Tun (“Come Home”), which brings 900 diaspora Armenian youngsters to stay with local families each year as proof that ties are growing stronger with Armenia’s far-flung diaspora groups.

“There is discontent [among diaspora Armenians], but it’s not common,” said Artur Dumanian, head of the Ministry’s Department of Armenian Communities of the Near East and Middle East. “Armenians have always had that trait of grouping people according to the region they are from. … The same goes for diaspora Armenians.”

The ministry has no data about how many Iranian-Armenians have settled in Armenia since the country regained independence in 1991. Police estimate the general number of diaspora Armenians living in Armenia at several thousand, but no exact figure has been reported.

Armine Stepanian, an ethnographer at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography who studied the relationship between diaspora members and local Armenians during the Soviet era, asserted that Armenia’s population is much more tolerant now than it was in the 1970s. “Armenia Armenians were much more intolerant after that massive inflow [in the 1970s]: there were cultural clashes and differences in the types of societies” to which Iranian-Armenians and Soviet Armenians were accustomed,” elaborated Stepanian. “The flow is not large-scale now, hence the reaction is not that strong.”

Nonetheless, the old “inferiority complex” among locals that diaspora Armenians are “better educated and wealthier” still lingers, she added.

Linguistic differences can prove another potential stumbling block for diaspora Armenians. One Yerevan employment agency manager noted that companies routinely ask for applicants who are fluent in both Armenian and Russian. “So, in that case, locals will have an advantage since diaspora Armenians mostly don’t know Russian,” said Mihran Minasian.

Nairi Zohrapian, a student at Yerevan State University’s Faculty of Eastern Studies, says she has started mixing Russian words and phrases into her Armenian to seem more like her Yerevan friends. But it does not always make a difference. A professor once pointed her out to classmates as a representative of Muslim countries such as Iran, she said. “I was so hurt that I took out my cross and showed it to him, and told him that I was baptized as an infant; that even though I was born in Iran, I am an Armenian, I am a Christian,” recounted Zohrapian.

Many Iranian Armenians say that, with time, they have learned to take their image as “foreigners” in stride, but caution that much work remains to be done to encourage acceptance of diaspora Armenians resident in Armenia.

To illustrate this point, philologist Martin Gabrielian cites a joke about a magic gold fish that promises to fulfill the wishes of a native-born Armenian, an Iranian-Armenian and an Armenian from the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh. All three ethnic Armenians end up wishing for their counterparts to leave Armenia, Gabrielian said.

“If people are making jokes on this issue, then there is a problem,” he concluded.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Re: Armenia: Iranian-Armenians Struggle to Change Image as “Foreigners”

This is just great. All Armenians who once took part in discriminating Diaspora Armenians should remember this line from our national anthem:

"Յուր որդիքը արդ կանչում է
    Ազատ, անկախ Հայաստան"

Armenia is the homeland of all Armenians. Hayastantsis are the heart and Diasporans are the lungs. One is the essence of its life, and the other allows it to breathe in its suffocating environment.

Comment

U zarmanum en inchi chen diasporayits gnum hayreniq aprelu...

Comment

Your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Azar View Post
          Your point?
          It's just interesting that there's such heavy divide between the two groups of Armenians. Though also predictable as 100 years of Soviet rule surely creates a lot of cultural differences.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Mr. Depressing a.k.a Mos. One thing I can assure you, as an Iranian-Armenian myself, I can state ''we'' Iranian-Armenians are much more racist, non-tolerant, ignorant when it comes to accepting ''Hayastancis'' than vice versa. I do not like discussing these subjects as this creates a wedge between us, in the end I do not blame anyone as we are all one family.

Furthermore, cut the crap that the ''Diaspora'' is the lung and ''Hayastancis'' the heart. Most of the Armenians in Armenia work hard for their living, they protect our borders and more than 90% of the remittances send back to Armenia comes from HAYASTANCIS and not Iranian-Armenians (which I am dissapointed in, as they are rich but are one greedy to invest in their country), Lebanse-Armenians, Iraqi-Armenians etc.

If I look at your topics, it seems you are an Azerbaijani journalist who is trying (because most of your reasonings are bullxxxx) to highlight everything negative about our country, culture and people. People like you are even a greater danger to our society than Turks.
            Last edited by Tigranakert; 11-13-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
              Mr. Depressing a.k.a Mos. One thing I can assure you, as an Iranian-Armenian myself, I can state ''we'' Iranian-Armenians are much more racist, non-tolerant, ignorant when it comes to accepting ''Hayastancis'' than vice versa. I do not like discussing these subjects as this creates a wedge between us, in the end I do not blame anyone as we are all one family.

Furthermore, cut the crap that the ''Diaspora'' is the lung and ''Hayastancis'' the heart. Most of the Armenians in Armenia work hard for their living, they protect our borders and more than 90% of the remittances send back to Armenia comes from HAYASTANCIS and not Iranian-Armenians (which I am dissapointed in, as they are rich but are one greedy to invest in their country), Lebanse-Armenians, Iraqi-Armenians etc.

If I look at your topics, it seems you are an Azerbaijani journalist who is trying (because most of your reasonings are bullxxxx) to highlight everything negative about our country, culture and people. People like you are even a greater danger to our society than Turks.
              Azeri journalist? I don't forget that in your every post you manage to somehow personally attack me. But I will take the higher ground and not return those attacks.

Armenia is in a tough situation, don't be blind to that. There is a lot of corruption, slow economy, and also migration out of the country. What is the point if I focus on all the positive things of Armenia? I'm being a realist. And tell me where have I insulted my culture or people?

The wedge that exists between some of the diaspora groups is cultural than anything else. Haystanics with Soviet Culture for example, that's we feel close to other post-soviet people such as russians and georgians. I posted this article because it's a reality in Armenia, and something people should work to fix as the Armenian race is to small for creating such divisions.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---

Comment

It's about the way you say it, further the sources you love to quote are usually not reliable and serves a different goal. The article itself is nonsense. I have only seen you wining, crying, and downgrading everything that has to do with Armenia, not relativising and not giving any decent solutions to the existing problems.

Focusing on positive points is at least as important as focusing on ''negative'' points, don't forget that. I would say taken our current situation, the first is presumably even more needed these days.

Comment

There are a lot of solution that can be implemented and most have to do with government reform. I must say the current government is making some of those changes, with the crackdown on corruption and cracking down on the abuses in the army, these are all good steps. They need to make sure elections are free and fair, and that freedom of speech is protected and there are no political prisoners. Education must be improved, I know first hand how poor public education is in Armenia, especially in the state university. For example, students often to pass a test just bribe their teacher. that being said Yerevan and Armenia as a whole has been improving, you cannot compare today's Yerevan, to Yerevan 10 years ago and certainly 20 years ago. It's like a different country.

I'm also proud to say that when it comes to democracy and freedom of speech Armenia is in a much better position than Azerbaijan, which has an effective dictatorship where the opposition can't even get into Parliament. The other day the opposition there said if they got power they would make major concessions on Karabakh. And the recent elections were very fraudulent. With this the reputation of Armenia is only improved above Azerbaijan, and we should continue this.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    There are a lot of solution that can be implemented and most have to do with government reform. I must say the current government is making some of those changes, with the crackdown on corruption and cracking down on the abuses in the army, these are all good steps. They need to make sure elections are free and fair, and that freedom of speech is protected and there are no political prisoners. Education must be improved, I know first hand how poor public education is in Armenia, especially in the state university. For example, students often to pass a test just bribe their teacher. that being said Yerevan and Armenia as a whole has been improving, you cannot compare today's Yerevan, to Yerevan 10 years ago and certainly 20 years ago. It's like a different country.

I'm also proud to say that when it comes to democracy and freedom of speech Armenia is in a much better position than Azerbaijan, which has an effective dictatorship where the opposition can't even get into Parliament. The other day the opposition there said if they got power they would make major concessions on Karabakh. And the recent elections were very fraudulent. With this the reputation of Armenia is only improved above Azerbaijan, and we should continue this.
                    Apres, I agree. This is a balanced opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X