Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

how do you write the word "guest"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Dants
    In this case, the right one is the spelling used in Western Armenian. The spelling used in Armenia today was developped in 1922, at Stalin's insistence. The reasons for this new spelling was that it was the first step in the creation of a soviet language, and it also helped widen the gap between Armenia and diaspora. It truly is a shame, and should be corrected ASAP. The language suffers because of it.
    Aha!!.I know where are you coming from.They even changed the name of the letters ,alphabet (aip,ben, gim ...to A ,B ,G...).And ecxuse was really lame to make the language easy to learn and outcome is obivous,they stuffed up whole language and as you said there is a huge gap between Armenian and diaspora.And not only the language but we all suffer because of it,really.

Personally I have always been very proud of my perfect^ Armenian.
    It kind of feels werid that it is not that perfect .

But then again I pronounce Hooys and Hyoor ,so whats the correct spelling??
    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Hooys is the way I pronounce it too. The difference is that the "new" spelling stipulates that you need to write both the "vo" and "hun" to make the "oo" sound, while orginally, a "vo" followed by a "hi" automatically produces the "ooy" sound. Same thing goes for my name, Vrouyr.

Also, when "ser" (love) is written with a "yech" (5th letter) instead of an "é" (7th letter), it messes with the word's etimology (sp?), because root words that have the "é" sound which changes to an "i" sound must be written with an "é". Ex: SEr becomes SIrel. Now all that probably made no sense at all, but I understood it.

Comment

Hooys is the way I pronounce it too. The difference is that the "new" spelling stipulates that you need to write both the "vo" and "hun" to make the "oo" sound, while orginally, a "vo" followed by a "hi" automatically produces the "ooy" sound. Same thing goes for my name, Vrouyr.

Also, when "ser" (love) is written with a "yech" (5th letter) instead of an "é" (7th letter), it messes with the word's etimology (sp?), because root words that have the "é" sound which changes to an "i" sound must be written with an "é". Ex: SEr becomes SIrel. Now all that probably made no sense at all, but I understood it.
        AHA!!Now i really got it!! I was confused hahahaha.Thanks Baron. I though I am lost case but it all makes sence now.

Comment

West side of pic is arevmdahayeren, East side is as arevelahayeren..
          Attached Files

Comment

West side of pic is arevmdahayeren, East side is as arevelahayeren..
            I am crackinggg uppppppppp

lollllllllllllllllll

oh well, we have something common...but i am pretty sure jhannam prounouces apush as abush
            Last edited by sleuth; 10-19-2004, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho
              further proof of western Armenian (arevmdahayeren) being THE solution!
              letters have names.
              it's AIp, Ben, Gim, DA, YECH, ZA, EH, ET, TO, Jeh, ini, Lun etc...
              the way WE say it, aip, pen, kim, ta, yech, za etc...
              So that in situations like these, you could SPELL the letters, (like normal people do), instead of calling a letter "soft R"

now keeping that in mind, the word "Hiour" is spelled
              Ho - Ini - Hiun -Reh

translation for arevelahyes: Hiun= pokr v
              now it is also fair to mention that unfortunately at some points, our spelling is also different(eastern, western) for example, the way Tigran spelled the same word is different. now I don't know how right Tigran(dikran ) is, for unfortunately I haven't had the chance to master my arevelahyeren, but the way I spelled it is the proper way of spelling the word "guest" in arevmdahayeren.
              thank u thank u
              Hang me on the gallows and cut off my balls, im very very sorry mr guacho, but i havent memorized the aybuben. All i was doing was trying to be helpful, i could have gone and read the names. but the guy wanted it quick. Why start getting aggressive and saying things like western Armenian being the solution, I have my dialect you have yours, i happen to like mine better because iv been raised with that dialect in Armenia, I do happen to speak western Armenian too, being that a lot of the people i know in New york use western Armenian, it just doesnt sound natural to me, as im sure eastern Armenian doesnt to you, but deal with it and dont think you are going to get 3 million people in Armenia to suddenly switch dialects.
              Now, there is no "hiun" in eastern Armenian, instead we have "u" which as i see western Armenian doesnt have.
              Since you like the names let me do it over for you. "ho" then "yi" then "u" then "reh". Is that ok or are you still fuming that im not using western Armenian, or that i am doing a "stalinian" ? spelling. That is what i have been taught in school, as well as most of the Armenian population, now go and implement some reforms in Armenia to change the education system so that future generation be luckier than me and be taught this pure and correct spelling of yours.
              Please dont call me Dikran, i hate that fu cking name, and i dont understand why every western Armenian feels the f ucking impulse to change my name, whether it was in Armenian school, where after i wrote down Tigran they would change it to Dikran on the roster or in normal conversation with people. wtf is up with that?
              So much for trying to be helpful.

Comment

Wow la...let us all calm down.

First off, the "stalinian" comment I made is not something to be taken as offensive. It is merely a truth, and a sad one. Just like there should be no problems admitting that the Western pronounciation is flawed, there should be no problems admitting that the Eastern spelling is also flawed. It was a Stalin-pushed initiative, rejected by top Armenian linguists. Any truly patriotic person would accept these as facts, instead of hiding from them, and making it a "arevela vs arevmda" issue as it is so fashionable to do these days.

Actually, seeing such reforms in spelling in Armenia is one of my biggest dreams, just like reforms in pronounciation in the Diaspora.

As for people calling you Dikran... I can see how that gets irritating, as people always corrected the way I wrote MY name in Armenia

Comment

I didnt take your comment to be offensive but i find it illogical to say that it is not the right way, when that is what has been taught in schools and is now used by most eastern Armenians. It is what is now accepted. Yes it is not what it was originally but what do you mean as the "right way". If the historically correct is what you mean then yes you are right, but it is the official way of spelling in Armenia now is it not? It is what 5 million Armenian would call right. And when i said there should be reforms and all i wasnt being sarcastic but supoorting the fact that the language shouldnt have been changed in the first place and if it is possible should be changed back to what it was before, but for now it is "the right way" in Armenia and for eastern Armenian abroad.

As for the name, yes its very irritating, especially when i would go and tell them to change it and even cross it out and write Tigran and the next class it would again be Dikran. I mean what the hell is that? cant i choose my own name.

No hard feelings of course brother im just getting stuff out there and trying to explain it from my point of view. Davai.

Comment

You're right, it is the official way of Armenia.

Ararat is also officially part of Turkey. What's your point?
                    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

My point is that it is not only what is official but what is used by people in Armenia, so ask any eastern Armenian how it is spelled and they will spell it like i did. And yes it is part of Turkey, call it our national symbol or whatever else but you will be lying if you tell someone that Ararat is in Armenia. now what in the world is your point?

Comment

Working...
                      X