Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Typical Armenian home life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Armenian home life?

Ok, any of you either live with your family or when you go back to Yerevan know what it feels like to live in a typical Armenian home? I don't, but I am busy working on something that requires some background info about this.

What is typical about an Armenian home? When you walk in after a hard day at work, what do you expect to see? What kind of music, what is your mom/dad doing?

If I could get some details I would be much obliged, thanks.

The only thing that I can think of and that has come up with many of my Armenian friends is the "fruit eating" tradition. lol, I don't know if this sounds familiar to any of you, but on most nights, my dad will peel a ton of fruits and expect us to all gather around and eat them.

Comment

My mom makes me dinner, and my dad has not yet come home from work.

Comment

My mom says, put something on, my grandma says, what are you doing? My dad works. My sisters do hw. I play games.

Comment

coffee or tea, and yes i know about the fruit eating...

Comment

Hell yeah. theres always a big bowl of fruits in the living room and no matter what im doing i always have to be on guard for my mom or grandma to randomly pop in with a big plate of peeled fruits insisting that i finish it.
            Other than that my parents drink a crapload of coffee and always have some friends over with whom they drink more coffee or tea, also wine is a big hit nowadays, we consume about a bottle every 2 days. My parents stay up into very late hours in the living room watching russian tv and occasionally Armenian dvds. oh and lots of talkin on the phone.

Comment

Coffee is definitely an important part.

Comment

YES! Fruits!! lol How funny. It used to be a lot more common when we were younger. But just 2 weeks ago my mom opened my bedroom door while I was studying to hand me a plate of apples, pears, oranges, bananas - all peeled and sliced. "Kidem hos veruh nsder es anoti-anoti...haydeh, nsdir verchatsoor asi."

It's not coffee -it's SOORJ! Or in my dad's case, ahweh. But never coffee.

My mom usually has food prepared when I come home. She'll be watching TV with soorj & cigarettes, or sometimes she'll have a friend or a sister over, or sometimes she'll be out.

My dad will play solitaire on the computer. Or he'll be in the garage working on one of his many projects. Or he'll be watching TV with my mom in the living room.

We never really have music playing. But my parents watch a lot of satellite TV from Arab countries. I suspect this is the same for many Middle East Armenians, but perhaps more so in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
                  The only thing that I can think of and that has come up with many of my Armenian friends is the "fruit eating" tradition. lol, I don't know if this sounds familiar to any of you, but on most nights, my dad will peel a ton of fruits and expect us to all gather around and eat them.
                  OMG yea!! my dad does that after dinner- like a few huors later- or we gather round the shimishka.. or semooshka-- sorry im lenakantsi- we call it shimishka ... lol yea and and and... the coffee after dinner

Comment

heres what its like for me- i get home from work... late.... my mom gets mad at me caue i havent eaten anything the whole day- and she angirly opens the refridgerator door and starts putting all this stuff in front of me without even asking... lol then my dad starts annoying my mom and doing silly things and making jokes- then i never get food aue theyre joking around and then arguing-- so i fall asleep-

but usually its lke this- i get home from school (right nowi dont ahve schoool) i fall asleep- wake up study- or go to borders/ library and study... come home.. eat fruits... skip dinner.... and then sit down with my parents and watch law and order...or CSI.... or ER if its thursday night.... and if i get lucky and have a chance to go to the gym i get home and take a shower and repeat the second and third steps... lol
                    and if im uckier and im to tired- ill get a chance to catch a glipmse of my o su busy brother- and my dad before he runs to starbucks to get coffee.. and when he coems back im already knocked out and ready to wake p at 4am to drve to school...

wow i msis those....

Comment

Working...
                    X