Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

2nd Generation Armenian Americans anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sort of a third generation US born Armenian. My father is from Armenia but my mothers family is US born and can even trace some of her ancestors to the Revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by NightOwl
      I was born in the US and so were my parents. I'm 100% Armenian. They dont speak Armenian, neither do I. I dont know too much about Armenian traditions.

Is there anyone else whos a 2nd generation or more Armenian-American?

I live in NYC and I don't meet many Armenians. The ones I do meet are all not born in the USA, I don't know any Armenians as friends so when I meet someone who is Armenian, I'm always friendly and I get a nasty response, like "F--K OFF".
      I also visted Glendale, CA, not one person I met there was born in the USA. Not that I'm upset about it or theres anything wrong, but I never met anyone like myself and I'm confused. Is it very rare to be like this? Do you know anyone that is?

Also I would say Most of the Armenians I met do not like me because I cant speak the language and dont know much about the culture, I found them to be jerks and very rude. Is that common?
      Also most of the Armenians I met tell me "you're not Armenian" I tell them I am and they say "there no way you can be"
      I think its really ignorant.

My parents say Armenians are wonderful, nice people, but I don't see it all.
      I can't really see, NightOwl, why you would get xxxx offs from Armenians. I know none like that, and I live just a city away from NY. Usually when meeting an Armenian they are happy and friendly, since its not often you meet a fellow one. I'm a 100% 6th generation Armenian-American (well not on all sides of course, third is the least on any side) and I do though agree that some Armenians can be unfriendly or unwelcoming. When meeting just one solitary Armenian somewhere things are almost always as stated, but I've noticed that Armenians much more recent than me tend to be very clichy and not friendly with the older-stock non-accented Armenians like myself. I've been discriminated against from recent Armenians for being an older-type one, and the components that come with that such as great assimilation and the fact that I don't know much Armenian. Things like this don't make me Armenian enough for some of these recent Armenians and they look down on me for it. What's ironic though is it's likely I know more about Armenian culture, history, and current issues than 95% of them.
      This is not the norm though, I get along with most Armenians I know, recent or not. Despite what I said above, this is only what I've encountered in a small percent of Armenians. Overall I find them to be very friendly and can't understand why you would have that kind of idea about them. You must be associating with a lot of the wrong kind of Armenians? I really don't think there are many like you speak about and that they could be that ignorant. The ones I know from New York aren't, but of course I don't know that many. The many I know from here though are for the most part definitely not like you describe either.

Comment

I'm second generation and for most of my life I had little contact with Armenians outside of my extended family. My mother has basically regected her Armenianess and we didn't really interact with many Armenians in the traditional sense. My dad - a non-Armenian - is actually the one who got me interested in my heritage and first impressed me with the idea that Armenians are pretty special people.

Comment

Crimson Glow, its not "nice". Any good major university will offer it. Get into one and it wont be a problem.

Owl, I just remembered something you may find of interest. I belong to the Armenian Students Association (National). We have a good NYC branch. They do a lot of cool things. I think it could be a good way for you to learn about Armenian culture and meet some nice Armenians. http://www.asainc.org/index.php

Comment

ur parents are armenian and they dont speak armenian thats the ga y est sh it i ever heard man u must be the most americanized little brat i ever seen damn man this whole forum is like all american and sh it why arent there any armenians from glendale or hollywood so i can get a long with get ur gay asses out of this forrum
            I will own u in DOD

Comment

HyeERuski: Assimilation is an inevitable part of living in the USA. One of the first things that Armenians lose by the 2nd and 3rd generations is the Armenian language. This is simply a reality and we must accept it.

Whether you want to believe it or not, your children will not be as proficient in Armenian as you are. And perhaps your grandchildren will not know Armenian at all.

Don't you think the Armenians who came to the US 2 or 3 generations ago didn't speak Armenian? Don't you think most of them wanted their children to speak Armenian in addition to English? Sure they did. But as generations go by, the social pressures of living in the US force American-born generations -- from any immigrant group -- to choose English over Armenian. This happens to every immigrant group.

Our duty and our goal should be to delay this process. In our wildest dreams, we should stop or even reverse the process. But that is simply not possible in the US, unless Armenians decide to live in complete isolation, as the Amish do in Pennsylvania. (The Amish still speak a dialect of German.)

Please understand that these 2nd and 3rd generation Armenian-Americans did not CHOOSE to not know the Armenian language. Their ignorance (sorry for the word) of the language is simply a result of social pressures of assimilation -- something that my and your children will be very much subject to.

Comment

i see were you are coming from and ur a smart guy
                I will own u in DOD

Comment

Working...
                X