Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Interesting letter by Tumanian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting letter by Tumanian

PEOPLE IN GRIEF

One is sometimes overcome by very bitter thoughts but you are condemned to them and cannot get rid of them. They are like a heavy ailment when you know you have cancer, tuberculosis or cholera and can’t help thinking about the illness and either the illness will vanquish you or you will rise against it with all your being and will recover from it – of course, if courage and intellect suffice you.

Those who have long and seriously taken an interest in our people have always come to the sad conclusion that it has a lot of bitterness in its heart.

That is what they say and they say that with a deep anguish as though it turned out that tubercular bacilli had built their nest in the sick’s chest.

But such sincere and honest men are met infrequently. Establishing the existence of an illness people usually consider themselves healthy and declare others ill. Everyone thinks of himself to be not malicious, not flattering, not mendacious, not intrigant – all these traits do exist but not in oneself!

However, one shouldn’t believe this. And there is one truth with respect to us – we all suffer a deep mental ailment.

You judge.

Ordinary villagers, neighbours who have shared bread on more than one occasion are ready to burst with malice, or as they say, “turn black with malice”, if the land of one of them bears well.

Even those merchants who don’t compete with each other lose their sleep and peace when hearing of someone else’s success and already don’t think about their own business but only about the success of their fellow countryman and given the opportunity they will spare nothing to harm him.

An ecclesiastic however much be he paid, however much be he respected is not contented all the same, protests, complains of injustice. And what do you think is that injustice? That his fellow countryman is paid the same and that he lives well, too.

Suppose townsmen and peasants are in a legal dispute. No court can solve their dispute and it lasts for years and it is not unusual that they dedicate their whole life and all their property to that judicial process until one of them stifles the other, razes him to the ground or until both sides suffer.

We have our own press. Defamation, libel, lie, gloating delight, flattery have been in common use in it for dozens of years. It may happen that in no village has narrow clannishness acquired such a mean aspect as in our press. A famous publicist related that once he had heard someone from an editorial staff say without any constraint – the books of this writer whatever he writes must be invariably and severely criticised or ignored persistently – in a nutshell, destroy him in every possible way only because he is not with us, not “one of us.”

You will find the same morals and manners amidst national, public and literary figures. No one of them can bear the success of the other.

Let us consider teachers now. They are occupied more with dirty tricks against their neighbours than with lessons, and they always aspire to fan a trifling occurrence that can be easily settled within a friendly circle, invariably appeal to the authorities, disgrace each other both in court and in the press, persecute, become the cause of somebody’s resignation, kill morally… No mollification, no leniency, no limits for the spite!

What is the reason for all this?

To comprehend that let us look at the question from the point of view of the laws of nature and history by the serene and broad look that nature and history may give us. Along with other circumstances history has been a wicked stepmother for us. For many centuries has it cast us under the feet of barbarian tribes. And if being xxxxxled every living thing not dies, it is mutilated, demoralised and embittered. That is the law of nature.

What is an ordinary cucumber field? It is known that a xxxxxled plant bears bitter fruits which one cannot eat, that’s why they won’t let you xxxxxle a cucumber field. So bitter and grieved becomes a man also – his soul, heart, reason. And this bitterness accumulated in man manifests itself in his actions, look, face, words – in everything and everywhere, in all spheres of life, and the whole life becomes bitter and cruel. It, that life, can contain many beautiful things – “progress,” “culture,” “press,” “literature,” “school,” “charity” – but all this will be like a wormy fruit. All these spheres of life will suffer similar shortcomings, a common illness that can’t be cured from without. Such a society even can produce talents, but they, too, will be unkind and in grief. Such a society cannot beget noble men, kind hearts, and lofty souls, i.e. all that makes life beautiful and the people – likable and kind.

So, if we have national wisdom, spiritual courage and sound intuition, we must not connive at all this and must not fail to see that our people is spiritually seriously spoiled. The first condition for fighting the ailment, the principal condition for recovery is that we confess our misfortune to our own soul and to the whole world. And then the awakening of the salutary self-consciousness will be followed by the lofty aspiration to self-perfection and noble deeds.

There is no other way. True salvation must come from within for we are sick from within.

------------
    It's a little harsh, but it has truth. We do have this problem. When someone else is doing well, we feel jealousy, rather than joy. We're a little like crabs in a bucket: when one tries to escape, the others pull him down. In fact it is even seen on this forum to a degree. Well meaning brothers and sisters who have the same dream in their heart - the dream of repaid losses and damages and lands - but who nonetheless fight and bicker many times for no other reason but to feel better about themselves (marxists vs dashnaks, dashnaks vs hunchanks, etc). This is the main obstactle to the realization of our dreams and a more prosperous Armenia.
    Last edited by karoaper; 06-08-2005, 07:13 PM.

i agree... and this problem that we have is mostly with regard to other Armenians... it is SOOOO obvious when you go to Armenia or any other community that has lots of Armenians living in it.

in armenia there is a street that has 5 flower stores next to each other, competeing with each other. not in a good way. each one wants to make more money so they are all expensive... i was totally surprised at the result of "competition" because as far as we know here in the West competition usually and always yields cheaper prices for the customer. but in armenia, because we are from an other sort of people, the only country where competition leads to higher prices, we dont abide by the natural laws of nature.

anywho, this also obvious when we blame jews or turks or anyone else for our problems. i have a friend who i dont want to be friends with because she has this ugly mentality of "WE the WHITE people" must keep ourselves white. the funny thing is that anyone who is actually white, doesnt want anything to do with armenians. we have to look within ourselves, we must be honest, we must be loyal, and we must strive to keep our people educated, smart, intellecually able, kind, and sensitive to others.

i sometimes think we are still living in some 16th century type of thinking style. sure we drive the newest cars, and live in nice houses, however that does NOTHING to improve us as people.

as i was leaving Armenia last summer, i kept thinking what is it about this place that i cant put my finger on??? and finally when i was in russia i realized it: it was that people were wearing the newest shoes from europe but the water supply, electricity, and gas were owned by other nations, and there are some places where water does not flow, where villagers must go to a central location to get water. and THAT! makes me really sad! our country is soooooo tiny, and we dont even provide basic needs to the people... the money that goes to the government doesnt go to improve our infrastructure, it goes to someones greedy pocket, someone greedy mouth, and someone greedy heart. i have NEVER wanted to take anythng that wasnt mine, or somehting i did not earn. i feel like i am NOT Armenian enough because of that.

anywho, i say AMEN! to Mr. Toumanyan, he hit the nail on the head. he said this in 1910 and it holds true today.

Comment

Working...
    X