Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Wedding Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Wedding Traditions

Does anyone know what the traditions are for armenian weddings, who pays for what, who does what?

thanks

Re: Armenian Wedding Traditions

Have you heard of the apple tradition?
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

apple tradition? no...what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by bijoux81
        Does anyone know what the traditions are for armenian weddings, who pays for what, who does what?

thanks
        I think the groom pays for everything...that's what I'm doing.

Comment

i am getting married too... and if traditions are similar (not to mention the brides and stuff in laws) i may offer you some anti-depression drugs... women are same everywhere i guess so i will offer you those drugs
          Last edited by Otto3; 06-01-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Spend high 5 figures, low 6 figures atleast.

Comment

This is what I have seen in Glendale ... The groom's usually pays for the wedding. The bride's family often pays for the engagement if they have a separate one earlier.

The best man has to dish out some cash too when they go to pick up the bride from her house to go to church. Sometimes some "article of clothing" of hers gets lost so that must be paid for to be recoverd. Sometimes a brother or something will stand in front of the door and not let the bride leave until he gets some cash ... you know ... all sorts of such rediculocities ... etc.

Then there's the apple tradition but that's at the night when they do the hanna tradition I think ... not sure.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

There is no such thing as an Armenian wedding tradition. There are too many Armenian subcultures to talk of one national tradition. It depends on whose tradition you want to follow — please don't follow the Glendale one! Also, you may want to keep in mind that there are many modern Armenians who no longer do anything traditionally, but prefer to be more creative with their weddings.

In Armenia and elsewhere, you will often find the dove tradition. After the wedding ceremony, the bride and groom are given two white doves to release into the air. This is supposed to symbolize eternal love or some such thing.

Forget the red apple. We've moved too far to have such demeaning traditions.

Comment

In an armenian wedding I attended once about 5 years ago, the bride and groom wore lavash on thier shoulders before entering the building. At the door they also broke two plates. At one point the bride danced by herself and friends, family members and even strangers would put money in her hand. But people all do different things I suppose. Another wedding they released two birds and would hold onto a red hankerchief as they drank red wine. An apple and some chocolate after the wedding night too.

Comment

Originally posted by tunot
                    Forget the red apple. We've moved too far to have such demeaning traditions.
                    Eeeew ... by the way that's not the apple tradition I was talking about. Seems like the more western armenians have this thing where the groom's posse bring an apple to the bride's house the night they put hanna on her feet (I guess the hanna is to make sure they don't switch brides on the groom on the wedding day) ... and the bride's side is supposed to steal the apple while the groom's side protects it.

Ok now that was a long sentence.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I HOPE this apple is not related to the other apple. I don't even know what the other apple means. Or do I ... ok now I'm confused
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                    X