Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Help with Armenian Nouns!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with Armenian Nouns!

    I'm trying so hard to learn Eastern Armenian but I can't really find any major resources, things are so unclear! I would so greatly appreciate any help!

    I have the declensions of genitive in -i, and -u done (correct me if I am wrong but if it ends in a vowel the genitive is -u like gini, wine=> ginu, of wine)
    but then there seem to be loads of "irregular" nouns which are simply listed, I've seen none of them declined in table format, which makes it so unclear to me, and none of them have really been grouped together. I know some have genitives in -an like dun => dan, but then i read also the plural is formed from the stem of that so it is just dner, which is ridiculous. I am at a loss, I have no teacher or textbook Please help

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

    Originally posted by Trolley
    I'm trying so hard to learn Eastern Armenian but I can't really find any major resources, things are so unclear! I would so greatly appreciate any help!

    I have the declensions of genitive in -i, and -u done (correct me if I am wrong but if it ends in a vowel the genitive is -u like gini, wine=> ginu, of wine)
    but then there seem to be loads of "irregular" nouns which are simply listed, I've seen none of them declined in table format, which makes it so unclear to me, and none of them have really been grouped together. I know some have genitives in -an like dun => dan, but then i read also the plural is formed from the stem of that so it is just dner, which is ridiculous. I am at a loss, I have no teacher or textbook Please help

    Thanks
    Don't freak out about the -an suffix for genitive case, all but few words with the -un suffix have the -an genitive suffix, like tun, shun, ariun, garun, ashun and all the countless -tiun words like mardkainutiun, bariutiun, etc. In fact, the cases when this is not true are the irregular words and exceptions, like qun (sleep) or tarkhun (tarragon), etc. The thing about removing the -u to make plural does seem to be void of a rule, unless I'm wrong. Maybe, the words with only one syllable like shun or tun have to remove the -u in plural. But don't worry it's not a big mistake to say shuner and tuner, in fact I'm sure one or another Eastern Armenian dialect says it just like that.
    Last edited by karoaper; 08-08-2006, 04:21 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

      shat' mersi, karoaper! I did wonder about whether all those -iun nouns declined with genitive in -an. So really there are quite a lot of nouns with -an genitive

      1.Do I have the possessive pronouns right?

      mine - im[e], acc. imin, gen. imi, dat. imin etc.?

      2.Doesn't Armenian have any 3rd person possessive pronouns, e.g. "his", "hers" -
      How do you say then, [which pencil do you write with?] "I write with hers"



      3. When ajs, ajt', ajn (this that that) are used as pronouns ( as in "ajd dur" - give me that) can they also be declined in all the other cases?
      Last edited by Trolley; 08-09-2006, 07:44 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

        Originally posted by Trolley
        shat' mersi, karoaper! I did wonder about whether all those -iun nouns declined with genitive in -an. So really there are quite a lot of nouns with -an genitive

        1.Do I have the possessive pronouns right?

        mine - im[e], acc. imin, gen. imi, dat. imin etc.?

        2.Doesn't Armenian have any 3rd person possessive pronouns, e.g. "his", "hers" -
        How do you say then, [which pencil do you write with?] "I write with hers"



        3. When ajs, ajt', ajn (this that that) are used as pronouns ( as in "ajd dur" - give me that) can they also be declined in all the other cases?
        charzhi akhper (kam kuir), urakhem kez ognel voreve dzevov.

        1. You know, I'm far from being an expert, but I'd say it's correct for dative and genitive, for accusative it's just "Im". However,
        in conversational Eastern Armenian, very seldom do you use different cases of mine, mostly you will use "my noun/adj" and change the noun/adj instead. Only tmes I've used mine without the noun/adj is when answering to a question, e.g "Oom tan banalin e sa", I'd say "Iminne" or just "Im". In fact probably just "Im", because to be honest with you "Iminne" sounds goofy. Also, there are two other cases that I don't know the names of: the one used for "with/by something" (the one that usually ends in "ov") and the one for "from/without something" (usually ends in "ic"). In the first case, im-e changes to imov, like "Oom avtoovenk gnalu?, Imov". But then again, it's not a crime to say "Im". For the second case it's simply "Im": "Oom tnic enk gnalu?. Im."

        2. her and his is "nra" or "ira" and hers and his is "nran-e" or "iran-e": e.g. "Sa um grichn e?", "Iranne" or "nrann e". Now, you've got to be careful here, because "nran" is also the accusative case for "[email protected]" or she/he. So, in the example you game "Oom matitov grecir?", you'd answer "Ira" or "Nra", rather than "Nranov" (which actully means "with her", as in you wrote with her). Again, I'm no expert just falling back on conversational use.

        3. Finaly the ajs, ajd and ajn, they do change with cases. For accusative, ajs, ajd and ajn change to sran, dran (please use the Eastern spelling here or else it means something totally different ) and nran, same for dative. Genitive would change to sra, dra, nra. The other two cases, "with/by" and "from/without" would change to "sranov, dranov, nranov" and "sranic, dranic, nranic".

        Hope this helps. Keep it up.
        If anyone sees anything wrong with what I wrote, please bring it up.
        Last edited by karoaper; 08-09-2006, 05:17 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

          Originally posted by Trolley
          shat' mersi, karoaper! I did wonder about whether all those -iun nouns declined with genitive in -an. So really there are quite a lot of nouns with -an genitive

          1.Do I have the possessive pronouns right?

          mine - im[e], acc. imin, gen. imi, dat. imin etc.?

          2.Doesn't Armenian have any 3rd person possessive pronouns, e.g. "his", "hers" -
          How do you say then, [which pencil do you write with?] "I write with hers"



          3. When ajs, ajt', ajn (this that that) are used as pronouns ( as in "ajd dur" - give me that) can they also be declined in all the other cases?
          where do u live Trolly?
          i have some excellent books on grammar, vocab and spelling.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

            yes el em shat' urakh, vor du indz ognel uzum es!

            I am using, http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.ph...menian_Lessons - this is the best resource I can find, but it is often very unclear.

            The site says the accusative of sa, da, na is just sa, da, na. But ajs, ajd, ajn change to sran, dran, nran? In other cases sa, da, na begins in sran- etc. as (ablative case) "sranic", so I take it that they do they overlap in forms? (as for example the genitive of sa is also sra) It would be helpful if that site set out tables for every case of every pronoun, but instead I have to try and make sense of it all. I also have the textbook "Spoken Eastern Armenian" but it is useless and terribke. I also have "Beginners Armenian" which is for Western Armenian (I am learning Eastern armenian, but I was so desperate that I bought a western book too)

            1. Is there any difference between iren and nran? for "him" Does one go with na, and then one with inke?

            2. I don't understand inke at all!

            (The following are quite short questions now!)

            3. Can you use "inch" as an adjective meaning "what" (like inchbisi) ?
            "inch girk g'uzes?"

            4. Does "ajsbisi" make the noun plural or not? "ajsbisi girker"/"ajsbisi girk"?

            5. On the website it is written that in the plural "ajsbisine" is "ajsbisinere", with one "n"...but then "vorbisine" is written "vorbisinnere", with double n. Which is correct?

            6. Does "ajskan" (so much, so many) decline in the plural, and does it put its nouns in the plural? (As far as I know kani does not - "kani girk unes?")

            I hope you don't mind all this, I personally love discussing the Armenian language. I am Armenian myself but I live in the UK and half of my family is british. Naturally none of my bros/sis speak Armenian and I am quite sick of it, I want to talk to my family. I might be a bit picky but that's because I have to write everything down correctly because my little brother wants to learn too afterwards. Thanks again for all your help!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

              Hi Trolley, I also live in the UK and have been trying to learn Eastern Armenian from the internet, although you seem to be further along than me. It's not easy without anyone to help with the tricky bits! I have also tried to use that Armeniapedia site, but it won't display the characters correctly on my computer. Do you know where I can find a font that I can download to make them display correctly?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

                womble, I haven't downloaded any extra fonts, I just have windows XP and mozilla firefox. The site is extremely confusing anyway, it's so difficult to make sense of noun/verb tables when they are simply written in a paragraph and you have to make educated guesses as to their meaning. There is a real need worldwide of a definitive course/grammar in Eastern Armenian, and if I ever find one (which I know is quite unlikely) I will let you and every one know!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

                  Originally posted by Trolley
                  yes el em shat' urakh, vor du indz ognel uzum es!

                  I am using, http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.ph...menian_Lessons - this is the best resource I can find, but it is often very unclear.

                  The site says the accusative of sa, da, na is just sa, da, na. But ajs, ajd, ajn change to sran, dran, nran? In other cases sa, da, na begins in sran- etc. as (ablative case) "sranic", so I take it that they do they overlap in forms? (as for example the genitive of sa is also sra) It would be helpful if that site set out tables for every case of every pronoun, but instead I have to try and make sense of it all. I also have the textbook "Spoken Eastern Armenian" but it is useless and terribke. I also have "Beginners Armenian" which is for Western Armenian (I am learning Eastern armenian, but I was so desperate that I bought a western book too)

                  1. Is there any difference between iren and nran? for "him" Does one go with na, and then one with inke?

                  2. I don't understand inke at all!

                  (The following are quite short questions now!)

                  3. Can you use "inch" as an adjective meaning "what" (like inchbisi) ?
                  "inch girk g'uzes?"

                  4. Does "ajsbisi" make the noun plural or not? "ajsbisi girker"/"ajsbisi girk"?

                  5. On the website it is written that in the plural "ajsbisine" is "ajsbisinere", with one "n"...but then "vorbisine" is written "vorbisinnere", with double n. Which is correct?

                  6. Does "ajskan" (so much, so many) decline in the plural, and does it put its nouns in the plural? (As far as I know kani does not - "kani girk unes?")

                  I hope you don't mind all this, I personally love discussing the Armenian language. I am Armenian myself but I live in the UK and half of my family is british. Naturally none of my bros/sis speak Armenian and I am quite sick of it, I want to talk to my family. I might be a bit picky but that's because I have to write everything down correctly because my little brother wants to learn too afterwards. Thanks again for all your help!
                  Your passion for Armenian language is inspiring. Keep it up.

                  1. I think nran and iren have a small difference similar to that and "this" and "that". For example if your're talking about someone you know, I'd say use "iren" or the vernacular "iran". Nran is used more for someone that is distant from you. Also, you could say nran is more formal, while iren is more familiar.

                  2. Same is for [email protected] and na. Talking about a friend, I'd use [email protected], while talking about some dude I saw on TV, I'd say na. Careful though with [email protected], because inkt means "yourself". Also, inkn is the prefix of many words with the "itself" factor in english, like inknatir (airplane : self flying) or inknaspan (suicide: self murder), etc.

                  3. I'd say inch is generic what, while inchpisi is more specific what kind. So you can definitely say "inch girk es uzum", while "inchpisi cav unes?".

                  4. Both ayspisi grker or ayspisi girk are find.

                  5. Honestly, I haven't heard ayspisin much less [email protected] Ayspisi means "with such", so I'm not sure what ayspisin does. Same with vorpisi, which means exactly what inchpisi does. Again vorpisin or [email protected] is not a word I've heard. Mind you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just don't know what it would mean.

                  6. ayskan stays as ayskan even with plurar nouns. asykan grker. As far as the noune changing to plural or not depends on whether ayskan is used as "thus much" or "this many". For "thus much" the noun stays in singular, like ayskan dzhvarutiun, asyykan tarapank, while for "this many", the noun changes to plural, like ayskan tariner, ayskan erkirner, etc.

                  Also, when using kani, in cases when the noun is an object and can be itemized, it sounds better to use "kani hat", like "kani hat girk unes?".

                  If one notion about Armenian pervades is that it is a very flexible language, which can be a blessing and curse, because while there are many ways of bending the grammar, the line which divides correct (though not necessarily grammatically accurate) Armenian from "something else" is not well defined.
                  Last edited by karoaper; 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help with Armenian Nouns!

                    Thank you so much again! But I have more questions! I'm trying to keep it up as best I can, but you are right about the flexibility of the language, something which I have noticed too...it makes a more colourful language but at the same time is very frustrating for the average learner...I mean, I have moved on to pronouns since I simply couldn't do all those irregular nouns, it was so confusing...

                    1. About [email protected], I can only see the forms of the plural declined on the website I am using (nom. acc. gen. Irents, instrumental. irentsov, ablative. irentsits)
                    What about the singular of [email protected]? Does the declension overlap with "na" - giving acc. iren, for example?

                    2. I have "he", na, declined as follows:

                    nom. na
                    acc. iren
                    gen. ir
                    dat. iren
                    abl. irenits
                    instr. irenov
                    loc. irenum

                    - What are the forms where you use "nran" instead? Does na go with iren, or does na go with nran (like the demonstrative, that, na) and [email protected] go with iren?

                    I know it's so confusing!

                    3. "[email protected], [email protected] etc." - i mean this: "vorbisi girker unes?"
                    "[email protected] [unem]"

                    4. So "ayspisi" does not make the noun take the article, like ays?

                    ays [email protected], but ayspisi girk?


                    And finally, what exactly does "hat" mean? I have heard it before from some of my family "kani hat"...

                    hima gnum em, vorovhedev aveli shat piti sovorem

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X