Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Solar and wind Power for Armenia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar and wind Power for Armenia?

I am really quite fascinated with the use of Solar Power. I feel that Armenia, given her situation should little by little start looking at these options.

I also read up harnessing the power of the sun for heating and lighting.

For example, certain 1-story buldings may be constructed such that that they filter the suns rays for office or schools lighting purposes. The type that only really need to be lit during the day.

There is one resource that is available all around -- daylight.

The major problem is the cost of the initial investment. Solar panels are quite expensive. But this could be a good future route and relieve dependence of gas and oil which are also used as tools of pressure.

I also like wind-generated power.

Here in Wisconsin there are a lot of these "windmills" all over the place. The issue here however, is real-estate.

Re: Solar and wind Power for Armenia?

thats a good idea.

Comment

There's a concept of sustainable municipalities which have sprung up in Sweden. This is basically a framework and a philosophy that not only conserves energy but in the long run provides economic development. The good thing is Swedes are actively looking for other countries to cooperate with and spread this framework.

Several towns and townships in Wisconsin have adopted the sustainable framework: everything from switching to energy-saving machinery to better recycling to improved transportation and of course alternative ways of energy generation. Since Armenia is not hung up on oil and gas and consumption of oil and gas, I would think such ventures would be ideal. The only "but" here is that a sustainable framework does require capital in the beginning.

Comment

There is a company called Cafesjia(n) that advertises all the time on CNN here in Yerevan. There comercial concerns using solar, wind and water to crate energy. The problem is, their comercial is vauge. I have no idea who they are advertising to, or what the purpose of the comercial is. Moreover, they give no telephone # or website to find out information on their company (googling didn't result in anything either).

If anybody knows anything about this company, feel free to enlighten me. I also find this very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skhara
          Here in Wisconsin there are a lot of these "windmills" all over the place. The issue here however, is real-estate.
          Wisconsin has the major advantage of being in the middle of a 2000-mile wide corn field.

Solar power is definitely a great source to try to tap. For my mom's birthday last year, I got her a pool ornament that has a small solar cel on it and during the day, it uses the energy to pump water like a little fountain. It's a pretty cool little gadget with essentially 0-cost to keep running.

They have a lot of these wind-mills around the gay area in California (e.g. along the 580 east of Oakland). But they are ugly as hell. Solar panels actually look really cool too so they won't be such an eye sore usually.
          Last edited by Sip; 11-01-2006, 08:37 AM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

I think such an idea of using these renewable energies can make us years ahead when the oil crisis really hits the world in 50 years.

I also think we should make more of the Nuclear Plant. Although i believe it is to be decommisioned in 2016.

Does anyone know any NGO's which help with finance for developing countries to introduce these sources of energy?

Comment

"If Brazil can do it, Armenia can too!"

Comment

good idea

Comment

That works, but Armenia has limited land, which means having huge areas of land dedicated for solar or wind power will not be reasonable in the future when land is even more limited there. Having individual families set them up on their houses or businesses setting them up on their roofs sounds good though.

Armenia has to become an information behemoth instead, focusing on research, consulting, etc.

Comment

lol, All this talk, reminds me of the use of solar power in a village in Hayastan that I visited a couple of years ago. They were using a rusty old tractor fuel tank to heat their shower water. If only they believed me that it would work a lot better if they painted it mat-black so that less of the energy is reflected away. I actually go ridiculed for the suggestion . Yeah well, what can you do

Comment

Working...
                    X