Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Etymology of Armenian First Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etymology of Armenian First Names

The following conversation with Lucin, not only motivated the creation of a thread to research and discuss the etymology of Armenian First Names, but, also, seems like an adequate introduction.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    Many Armenian male poets/ writers such as Paruyr Sevak, Raffi or Siamanto had pen names that later have become Armenian male first names.
    Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
    LOL What? "Raffi" and "Barouyr" were not already Armenian First Names??? Does the analogy apply to "Siamanto?"
    Were they??
    It seems that none of us has enough data to argue one way or the other; The subject is "interesting" enough, so I will start a new thread about the origin of Armenian First Names and we can continue there???
    Well, I asked for these names, for Raffi I was told that it has not been a first name before, but Paruyr has been used even before Sevak.
    What were you told i.e. what evidence, data?
    Let's admit our lack of sufficient knowledge/data on the subject and look for decisive and etymological data.
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Re: Etymology of Armenian First Names

It would be cool to research the name "Siamanto" also to see if it is in fact a name typically given to males, or if it is also used at times to refer to females. I seem to remember this having also caused some confusion in the conversation which you are referring to.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

What were you told i.e. what evidence, data?
      Let's admit our lack of sufficient knowledge/data on the subject and look for decisive and etymological data.
      I don't know how much credible it'd be for you but my source was an Armenian literature professor.

I have a list of some Armenian names of Iranian origin that I'll post later.

Comment

I don't know how much credible it'd be for you but my source was an Armenian literature professor.

I have a list of some Armenian names of Iranian origin that I'll post later.

First of all, we probably both know that all sources would be credible only to a certain degree; so the question is "How credible a bit of data or source is?" We can only base it on common sense and some rules - or a hierarchy of rules - such as:

Rule 1: Any data or source that is not public domain - known book, Web site etc. - is less credible. In general, it should be verifiable

As for me, I have spent some time compiling a list of sites that include a list of Armenian First Names; the list (of sites) below includes the ones that seemed the most comprehensive and "reliable" - i.e. can't be tempered with and/or was not created yesterday. The most comprehensive and informative - because it includes the most detailed explanation and/or "etymology??" - seems to be http://armenian.name/

Also, I have found that the only??? - to be checked - site that includes "Siamanto" as a First Name - i.e. http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.ph...ian_Male_Names - can be altered by anyone. Also, it says: "Raffi - not used by Armenians until a widely popular author chose it as his pen name."
        A coincidence???

Rule 2: We can only take into consideration "reliable" sources - i.e. that cannot be altered by just anybody and are known sites/sources.

Here is the list:

Looking for Armenian name for your newborn? Babynology provides you extensive list of Armenian baby names with meaning, modern Armenian names and ancient Armenian names. List of Armenia names with numerology.

Also, I found a couple of books - I will order them because they can always be useful????

ACAM - Livres arméniens - Biographie, bibliographie détaillée de l'auteur Monique EKMEKDJIAN
        Last edited by Siamanto; 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM.
        What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

LOL What? "Raffi" and "Barouyr" were not already Armenian First Names??? Does the analogy apply to "Siamanto?"
          Were they??

1- According to http://www.netarmenie.com/religion/annexes/prenom2.php "Barouyr/Paruyr" is "the '1st' crowned king of Armenia?" In any case, an Armenian king.
          Confirmed by http://kingsofarmenia.com/history_1.htm

LOL I don't about you, but I feel really ashamed. We did not know that???

2- "Raffi" is popular among Armenians - at least, some communities, I may be wrong, but I don't remember Western Armenians calling a Raffi "Raffig" - as it seems to be common among Armenians from Iran??? However, calling Harout/Haroutig, Hagop/Hagopig, Levon/Levonig Aram/Aramig etc. etc. is common.
          The question is: Is "Raffig" the same as "Rafig/Rafik?" Even if not, are "Raffi" and "Rafig/Rafik" etymologically related?
          Last edited by Siamanto; 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

First of all, we probably both know that all sources would be credible only to a certain degree; so the question is "How credible a bit of data or source is?" We can only base it on common sense and some rules - or a hierarchy of rules - such as:

Rule 1: Any data or source that is not public domain - known book, Web site etc. - is less credible. In general, it should be verifiable

Rule 2: We can only take into consideration "reliable" sources - i.e. that cannot be altered by just anybody and are known sites/sources.
            I agree. But his given information turns out to be true.

As for me, I have spent some time compiling a list of sites that include a list of Armenian First Names; the list (of sites) below includes the ones that seemed the most comprehensive and "reliable" - i.e. can't be tempered with and/or was not created yesterday. The most comprehensive and informative - because it includes the most detailed explanation and/or "etymology??" - seems to be http://armenian.name/

Also, I have found that the only??? - to be checked - site that includes "Siamanto" as a First Name - i.e. http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.ph...ian_Male_Names - can be altered by anyone. Also, it says: "Raffi - not used by Armenians until a widely popular author chose it as his pen name."
            A coincidence???
            Obviously, the sites are constantly updating their list, so they might include Siamanto as well?? Also, surprisingly, there are many famous and common Armenian names, which are not included in these sites. Weird…

Thanks for the interesting sites; I'll spend some more time within.

1- According to http://www.netarmenie.com/religion/annexes/prenom2.php "Barouyr/Paruyr" is "the '1st' crowned king of Armenia?" In any case, an Armenian king.
            Confirmed by http://kingsofarmenia.com/history_1.htm

LOL I don't about you, but I feel really ashamed. We did not know that???
            Indeed, that's a shame, I didn't know either. Actually, my knowledge of Our History is very limited and maybe mediocre. (A while ago, I met this guy named 'Mleh' who told me that his name is an old Armenian name, later I found out Mleh was prince of the Armenian kingdom of Cilicia.)

2- "Raffi" is popular among Armenians - at least, some communities, I may be wrong, but I don't remember Western Armenians calling a Raffi "Raffig" - as it seems to be common among Armenians from Iran???
            True, Raffik is common among Iranian-Armenians, as well as Vahik/Vahe, Levik/Levon…

However, calling Harout/Haroutig, Hagop/Hagopig, Levon/Levonig
            Aram/Aramig etc. etc. is common.
            Haroutik, Levonik, or Hagopik are not common here but Aramik is.
            Also, the name Arutin which is quite common, could be another version of Harutiun, Harut.

The question is: Is "Raffig" the same as "Rafig/Rafik?" Even if not, are "Raffi" and "Rafig/Rafik" etymologically related?
            In my opinion, Raffik is a diminutive of Raffi, if so, then they should be etymologically related.
            Last edited by Lucin; 07-18-2007, 03:22 AM.

Comment

I agree. But his given information turns out to be true.
              I would call it an opinion; a reference to an Armenian "personality" - like Barouyr I - would be an information.
              Also, we all express opinions that some turn out to be true; it was also my opinion. An opinion is not etymological data.

Obviously, the sites are constantly updating their list, so they might include Siamanto as well??
              Yes, however, the fact that we can't find a single reliable site that includes "Siamanto" and reliable sites include both "Raffi" and "Barouyr" is a relevant piece of information.

By the way, today, I received Shirak's dictionary of Armenian First Names and LOL "Siamanto" is not included in the 100 pages long list.

Also, surprisingly, there are many famous and common Armenian names, which are not included in these sites. Weird…
              What are the "many famous and common Armenian names, which are not included in" http://armenian.name? Thanks.

Thanks for the interesting sites; I'll spend some more time within.
              You're welcome. http://armenian.name would be my first choice. Maybe even of higher quality than Narek's dictionary???

Indeed, that's a shame, I didn't know either. Actually, my knowledge of Our History is very limited and maybe mediocre. (A while ago, I met this guy named 'Mleh' who told me that his name is an old Armenian name, later I found out Mleh was prince of the Armenian kingdom of Cilicia.)
              If you think that your case is unique than you are, unfortunately, mistaken; the lack of knowledge - in the Diaspora - of our History, Literature, Philosophy etc. is obvious. I may be wrong, but I think that Armenians form Iran fair better than the rest - I am not including in the "Diaspora" those who have migrated from Soviet or Current Armenia because they've been away for only a short while.

Haroutik, Levonik, or Hagopik are not common here but Aramik is.
              Really surprised. Thanks for the information.

Also, the name Arutin which is quite common, could be another version of Harutiun, Harut.
              There's also "Artin." Yes, they all degenerated forms of "Haroutioun." That's probably why it's common to consider "Arthur" as a correspondent of "Haroutioun."

In my opinion, Raffik is a diminutive of Raffi, if so, then they should be etymologically related.
              Yes, "Raffik" is probably the diminutive of "Raffi," but the question was: "Is 'Raffik' the same as 'Rafik'?"
              In other words, "Is 'Rafik' - not 'Raffik' - a diminutive of 'Raffi'?" One would be inclined to think so but, apparently, not so obvious.
              I raised the question because of the following:

page 1 of 1
              1. RAFAEL(Rapael) - From Hebrew name Rafael (rfa "cure" and el "god" which appeared under the impression of religious literature in VII c. The European form of this name (Rafael) is more common. The short form is Rap fro… 0.3 KB
              2. RAFFI - From Arabian name Rafi "proud", "outstanding". It was the nickname of great Arm novelist.
              3. RAFIK - Is the diminutive form of the name Rafael that is used independently. It appeared when the name Rapaelyan gave place to Rafael.

(From http://armenian.name/index.php?a=list&d=1&t=dict&w1=R)

As one can tell, "Rafael/Rapael" and "Raffi" seem to have different origins????

However, Shirak's dictionary of Armenian First Names says:
              Rafael - healed by god (Hebrew)
              Raffi - 1. exalter 2. Flash of lighting 3. glorious man (Arabic) Also: Rafi
              Rafig - diminutive of Raffi or Rafael
              A bit confusing because Rafael and Raffi are presented as having different origins???

I would also add
              1- "Rapig" - likely the diminutive of "Rapael???" - also existed.
              2- I don't remember seeing "Raffig/Raffik" in any of the lists, only "Rafig/Rafik/Rapig/Rafik" - which makes it even more confusing???

Comment

http://armenian.name would be my first choice. Maybe even of higher quality than Narek's dictionary???
                I meant "Shirak's dictionary." I apologize for the confusion.

Comment

Yes, however, the fact that we can't find a single reliable site that includes "Siamanto" and reliable sites include both "Raffi" and "Barouyr" is a relevant piece of information.
                  LOL, I will send them an e-mail and ask to add Siamanto to their "males' first names" list.

What are the "many famous and common Armenian names, which are not included in" http://armenian.name? Thanks.

Names that I have in mind right now, such as Arbi/ Arin/ Ari/ Artin/ Arabo/ Artuyt/ Aren/ Dvin/ Sipan/ Sevada/ Sarmen/ Miro/ Njdeh/ Seroj/ Sako/ Sebouh/ Tsaghkush (Ծաղկուշ)... were not included.

You're welcome. http://armenian.name would be my first choice. Maybe even of higher quality than Narek's dictionary???
                  I must agree, this has been by far the most informative site.

Yes, "Raffik" is probably the diminutive of "Raffi," but the question was: "Is 'Raffik' the same as 'Rafik'?"
                  In other words, "Is 'Rafik' - not 'Raffik' - a diminutive of 'Raffi'?" One would be inclined to think so but, apparently, not so obvious.
                  I raised the question because of the following:

page 1 of 1
                  1. RAFAEL(Rapael) - From Hebrew name Rafael (rfa "cure" and el "god" which appeared under the impression of religious literature in VII c. The European form of this name (Rafael) is more common. The short form is Rap fro… 0.3 KB
                  2. RAFFI -From Arabian name Rafi "proud", "outstanding". It was the nickname of great Arm novelist.
                  3. RAFIK - Is the diminutive form of the name Rafael that is used independently. It appeared when the name Rapaelyan gave place to Rafael.

(From http://armenian.name/index.php?a=list&d=1&t=dict&w1=R)

As one can tell, "Rafael/Rapael" and "Raffi" seem to have different origins????

However, Shirak's dictionary of Armenian First Names says:

A bit confusing because Rafael and Raffi are presented as having different origins???

I would also add
                  1- "Rapig" - likely the diminutive of "Rapael???" - also existed.
                  2- I don't remember seeing "Raffig/Raffik" in any of the lists, only "Rafig/Rafik/Rapig/Rafik" - which makes it even more confusing???

Why do we assume that there exists Raffik as well as Rafik?? Let me just make a clarification:
                  I believe, there only exists Rafik- not Raffik- and Rafik cannot be the diminutive of Raffi for two reasons:

1. Rafik has one 'f' unlike Raffi, which has two.

2. More importantly, as you know, the letter R is pronounced in two different ways in Armenian, in reality two different letters- Ռ and Ր- as it is said Րաֆֆի but Ռաֆիկ.

I think this pretty much explains why the site tends to relate, etymologically, Rafik (Ռաֆիկ) to Rafael (Ռաֆաէլ) rather than to Raffi (Րաֆֆի) and rightfully, does not include Raffik at all as a name.

On these lists of Armenian names, I noticed some ridiculous first names such as Rashid, Bakhchangyul, Abbas, Dadash, Ghaplan, Hajibab, Jahan, Jalal, Jamal, Javad, Aghgyul etc., I don't know if they are still being used or not but these names (of whatever non-Armenian origin) should be wiped out of Armenian consciousness, for some clear reason.

Ps: I also wanted to make a small list of some common Armenian names of Persian origin but it seems unnecessary since some sites provide such information.
                  Last edited by Lucin; 07-19-2007, 12:57 PM.

Comment

LOL, I will send them an e-mail and ask to add Siamanto to their "males' first names" list.

Names that I have in mind right now, such as Arbi/ Arin/ Ari/ Artin/ Arabo/ Artuyt/ Aren/ Dvin/ Sipan/ Sevada/ Sarmen/ Miro/ Njdeh/ Seroj/ Sako/ Sebouh/ Tsaghkush (Ծաղկուշ)... were not included.
                    LOL So making "Siamanto" an Armenian First Name would be your contribution to the "preservation" of the Armenian Culture???
                    Shouldn't you start with those that are "real" Armenian First Names in the list above?? Many of them exist in Shirak's dictionary, I will come back to it once I receive the other two dictionaries.

In any case, that raises the question: What should a dictionary of (Armenian) First Names include?
                    1- Of course, it should include the First Names
                    2- It should include the diminutives such Hagopig, Aramig etc.
                    3- It should include "derivatives" such as "Sako," "Artin" that are not First Names; usually, the official name is "Sarkis," "Harout/Haroutioun" etc.

However, should it include
                    4- Nicknames - i.e. pen names, war names etc. - that are not derived from First Names and are not widely enough used?
                    5- Should it include "creative" First Names even if they are/refer to Armenian locations or other symbols i.e. "Nakhitchevan," "Giligia?"
                    6- Foreign First Names that are - or were used - used in a particular community reflecting a foreign influence such as "Jean-Claude," "Vladimir" or "Arbi" - I'm not sure if "Arbi" falls in this category but all Arbis that I have met are born in Armenian families from Iran???
                    7- Isolated cases such as "Hasan" - in "Melik Hasan." (Is this a special case of 6?)
                    8- .....

Why do we assume that there exists Raffik as well as Rafik?? Let me just make a clarification:
                    I believe, there only exists Rafik- not Raffik- and Rafik cannot be the diminutive of Raffi for two reasons:
                    I don't know if you have assumed it when you said:
                    In my opinion, Raffik is a diminutive of Raffi, if so, then they should be etymologically related."
                    Personally, I simply raised a question when I said - and I think that it's too early to make any assumptions:
                    "The question is: Is "Raffig" the same as "Rafig/Rafik?" Even if not, are "Raffi" and "Rafig/Rafik" etymologically related?"

And when explaining why the question should be raised, I added - among other reasons:
                    "2- I don't remember seeing "Raffig/Raffik" in any of the lists, only "Rafig/Rafik/Rapig/Rafik" - which makes it even more confusing???"

I'm glad to see that you have "drilled down" into the details and we should be careful in drawing conclusions. We are progressing.
                    For now, we're simply brainstorming and, hopefully, it won't be fruitless.

1. Rafik has one 'f' unlike Raffi, which has two.

2. More importantly, as you know, the letter R is pronounced in two different ways in Armenian, in reality two different letters- Ռ and Ր- as it is said Րաֆֆի but Ռաֆիկ.
                    Similar lexical transformations are so common in natural languages and seldom have a semantic or other significance. I would be more careful.
                    1. Consider the Italian "Raffaele" and the Spanish "Rafael."
                    2. According to Shirak's dictionary it is "Ռաֆֆի" but the poet used 'Ր' instead of 'Ռ'

I think this pretty much explains why the site tends to relate, etymologically, Rafik (Ռաֆիկ) to Rafael (Ռաֆաէլ) rather than to Raffi (Րաֆֆի) and rightfully, does not include Raffik at all as a name.
                    Not so fast. Unfortunately, it does not explains it, for the following reasons:
                    1- Those who are named "Raffi" are often called "Raffig" or "Rafig" therefore they are somehow related.
                    2- As I have already mentioned, Shirak's dictionary relates "Rafig" to both "Raffi" and "Rafael." Furthermore, in the entry for "Raffi," it says "Also, Rafi."
                    3- As mentioned above, according to Shirak's dictionary it is "Ռաֆֆի" but the poet used 'Ր' instead of 'Ռ'

One last detail, it says - in the Armenian section of the dictionary - "Raffi anoun@ g@ kordzadzen arti Barsignern al." Is that true?

Also, according to "Rafiq/Rafik"means friend in Arabic; but I'm inclined to think that it is not related to the Armenian "Rafig/Rafik" that is probably a diminutive

It may not be as simple as that!

On these lists of Armenian names, I noticed some ridiculous first names such as Rashid, Bakhchangyul, Abbas, Dadash, Ghaplan, Hajibab, Jahan, Jalal, Jamal, Javad, Aghgyul etc., I don't know if they are still being used or not but these names (of whatever non-Armenian origin) should be wiped out of Armenian consciousness, for some clear reason.
                    I see what you mean, that's exactly why I raised the issue of specifying inclusion/exclusion criteria in a dictionary of Armenian First Names. How inclusive/exclusive should it be? It's not that simple or obvious.
                    By the way, I felt the same about "Arabo" and "Seroj" - "Seroj" sounds like an iranification of "Serj???"
                    Also, all the Arbis that I've met were born in Armenian families from Iran.

Ps: I also wanted to make a small list of some common Armenian names of Persian origin but it seems unnecessary since some sites provide such information.
                    I agree, do it when necessary. I'm sure that you have other obligations and interests in life.
                    Last edited by Siamanto; 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X