Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Grammatical crisis! Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammatical crisis! Please help

Please can anyone help me with a problem I am having regarding Eastern Armenian grammar: In certain types of sentence I can never tell whether to use the infinitive or to use the future participle. For example, in the sentence, Ցավում եմ այդ լսելու (I'm sorry to hear that), why not use լսել (infinitive) rather than լսելու (future participle)?
    Conversely, in the sentence, Սուրձ ուզ՞ում եք խմել (Do you want coffee to drink?), why not use խմելու (future participle) rather than խմել (infinitive)?
    These are both sentences that I have seen in books. I see both types of usage in various different sentences and I can't seem to figure out any kind of rhyme or reason to it. So, my question is, how does one tell whether to use the infinitive or to use the future participle.
    Խնդրեմ՝ ինձ օգրե'ք:

Re: Grammatical crisis! Please help

I will try to explain..
    for ex. Սուրձ ուզ՞ում եք խմել (Do you want coffee to drink)
    or another ex. oozum es ergEL? (do u want to sing?)
    karox es ognEL?(can u help?)....
    in such sentences, where we have 2 verbs, as in ur example, 1. uzel(want), and 2. xmel(drink)...with the second verb we use infiniteve.. another ex.
    Yes karox em(the 1st verb) ergel(the 2nd verb in infinitive) (I can sing).. u can campare it(in some way) with the english 'to'...
    as "I want TO go" = ''Yes oozum em gnal'' ("al: el" endings of infinitive)
    " I want TO drink'' = ''Yes oozum em xmel''

Ցավում եմ այդ լսելու (I'm sorry to hear that), ... and this ex. shows that U r sorry to hear it..it is possible to use "tsavoom em ayd lsel''(in spoken lang.)...but it doesnr sound... but with ''lselu'' u stress that U r sorry to hear it.

Comment

It is also the case in both Classical and Western Armenian: the "ու" ending characterizes the genitive form. I hope that the following - from Online Classical Armenian Grammar - will help you clarify the usage of the Armenian infinitive:

There is only one infinitive in Classical Armenian, formed from the present stem by addition of the suffix -l. The infinitive functions as a substantive and declines according to the o-declension. It does not distinguish active and passive. The -l ending is preceded by the characteristic vowel of a verb's conjugation, except that both e- and i-conjugation verbs form the infinitive with e. For example:

Class /Present /Infinitive
      e /sirem /sirel, G sireloy
      i /sirim /sirel, G sireloy
      a /lam /lal, G laloy
      u /hełum /hełul, G hełloy < *hełu-loy
      o /(gom) /(gol, G goloy)

In post-classical times a mediopassive form in -il developed to distinguish verbs of the i-conjugation.

The infinitive is regularly used as a complement after certain verbs, such as kamim 'I wish to', unim 'I have to', tam 'I have (someone) do (something)', sksim 'I begin to', erknčʿim 'I am afraid to', tʿołum 'I allow to'. Certain expressions are also common with the infinitive, e.g. law ē 'it is good to', aržan ē 'it is right to'. The infinitive may be used with verbs of motion to indicate purpose: gayr yaytnel zawetisn 'he came (in order) to reveal the news'. Result may be indicated by use of minčʿew with the infinitive: minčʿew zarmanal amenecʿun 'so that everyone was amazed'. Used as a substantive, the infinitive may be found in any case: mis utel (N) očʿ en mełkʿ 'eating meat is not a sin'; yaṙaǰ kʿan zlineln (A) ašxarhi 'before the world came into being'; vasn imoy tanǰeloy (G) i kʿēn 'because I am being tortured by you'; akn unein ǰrocʿn yuzeloy (D) 'they were waiting for the movement of the waters'; i baṙnal (L) tērutʿeann jArtawanay, i spananel (L) zna Artašri 'when rule was taken from Artavan and when Artashir killed him'; gtakʿ zsa zi argeloyr i taloy (Ab) harks kayser 'we found him preventing the giving of tribute to Caesar'; zayd bans aselov (I) ew zmez tʿšnamanes 'by saying these words you also insult us'.

The instrumental case of the infinitive is widely used, sometimes occuring where a participle might otherwise occur: awrinadrē tʿagaworn zinkʿn ew ztun iwr, skizbn aṙnelov (I) i glxoyn iwrmē ew i tʿagē 'the king set in order his own person and his house, beginning with himself and the crown'. The infinitive may be used in the instrumenal in an absolute sense; the logical subject in these contructions is expressed by a genitive: ekn Nersēs i meǰ nocʿa ew arar xałałutʿiwn, lselov nma tʿagaworin ew naxararacʿn 'Nerses came into their midst and made peace, the king and nobles obeying him'.

Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.

Last edited by Siamanto; 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM.
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

I wonder if "cavum em aid lselu" is an archaic form of "cavum em aid lseluc". In other words it's not "I sympathize to hear it", but "I sympathize hearing it", in which case you would not use the infinitive.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
          I wonder if "cavum em aid lselu" is an archaic form of "cavum em aid lseluc". In other words it's not "I sympathize to hear it", but "I sympathize hearing it", in which case you would not use the infinitive.

I'm not familiar enough with the usage of "cavum em aid lselu" and "cavum em aid lseluc" and Eastern Armenian, in general - be it as spoken in present day Armenia, Artsakh, Iran or...; however, my understanding is that "lseluc" is the Western Armenian "lsele[n]."
          If that is the case, "lselou" and "lsele[n]" would be different declensions and have different meanings; for instance, "hoknadz [y]em lselou" - I'm tired to listen - and "hoknadz [y]em lsele[n]" - I'm tired of/from listening: the former has a future dimenion while the latter suggests the past???

Have a Nice Day!
          Last edited by Siamanto; 09-08-2007, 01:06 PM.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Շնորհակալություն՝ ամեն մեկը: I think i'm at least beginning to get the hang of it now. It's something to do with whether or not there is an element of futurity involved.
            Last edited by womble; 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
              Շնորհակալություն՝ ամեն մեկը: .
              You're welcome!

Originally posted by womble View Post
              I think i'm at least beginning to get the hang of it now. It's something to do with whether or not there is an element of futurity involved.
              I'm not sure if I understand you; but, depending on the (declension) case, it may denotes an action in past (lsele[n]), present/atemporal(lsel,) the future(lselou) or none???? (lselov.)

Just keep in mind that it can be declined like any other substantive and the different suffices are not part of the infinitive.
              There is only one infinitive in Classical Armenian, formed from the present stem by addition of the suffix -l. The infinitive functions as a substantive and declines according to the o-declension. It does not distinguish active and passive.

Comment

Working...
              X