Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Remember The First Holocaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember The First Holocaust

REMEMBER THE FIRST HOLOCAUST

by Robert Fisk

"WHO NOW remembers the Armenians?" Hitler asked, just before he embarked on
    the destruction of European Jewry. Precious few, it seems. As the memorial
    day for the Nazi genocide against the Jews was proclaimed by Mr Blair this
    week, there was not a single reference to the slaughter of one and a half
    million Armenian Christians by the Ottoman Turks in 1915. The world's first
    holocaust - and Hitler's inspiration for the slaughter of the Jews - was
    ignored.

Why, I wonder? Mr Blair did not mention it. President Chirac is frightened
    of the very subject, refusing even to condemn the slaughter when he last
    visited Beirut, where the grandchildren of the victims live in their tens of
    thousands. The United States government prefers to forget the holocaust of
    Armenians, while the Turks - the inheritors of the empire that committed the
    worst atrocities of the First World War - are studiously denying the
    genocide. And we let them get away with it.

Who, I wonder, chooses which holocaust we should remember and which we
    should not? The six million Jews who were murdered by the Nazis must always
    have a place in our history, our memory, our fears. Never again. But alas,
    the Armenians who perished in the rivers of southern Turkey, who were
    slaughtered in their tens of thousands in the deserts of northern Syria,
    whose wives and daughters were gang-raped and knifed to death by the
    gendarmerie and their Kurdish militiamen - they have no place in our memory
    or our history. Turkey is our friend. Turkey might one day join the European
    Union. Turkey is an ally of Israel.

History, of course, is a hard taskmaster, veined with inconvenient facts and
    corrupted heroes as well as the massacre of innocents. The Armenian
    community in Turkey had its Allied sympathisers when the Ottoman army was
    fighting the British and French in the First World War, and Armenians also
    fought in the tsarist Russian army against Turkey. But the proof of genocide
    is intact. The Young Turk movement - once a liberal organisation which the
    Armenians had supported - had taken control of the dying empire and adopted
    a "pan-Turkism" which espoused a Turkish-speaking Muslim nation from
    Constantinople to Baku. Within weeks of their victory over the Allies at the
    Dardanelles in 1915, they fell upon the Armenians. Churchill was to refer to
    the "merciless fury" unleashed upon the Christian minority. The US
    ambassador in Constantinople - himself a Jew - wrote heart-wrenching reports
    back to Washington of mass slaughter. Near the Turkish village of Mus,
    hundreds of men were lined up on bridges and shot into the rivers,
    Serb-style.

Behind the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp in Poland, I was once taken by a camp
    guide to a series of small lakes in which the Nazis dumped the ash of the
    crematoria. Beneath the water and ice lay the powdered white bones of whole
    cities of people. Yet in the north Syrian desert there are still skulls and
    bones in caves and in the clay of river banks. This place of martyrdom is
    visited once a year by the local Armenian community to commemorate their
    holocaust. They even have a holocaust memorial day. Yet I wonder if a single
    non-Armenian reader of The Independent knows what the date is?

Denial of the holocaust is in some countries a crime. I'm talking, of
    course, about the Jewish Holocaust - because denial of the Armenian
    holocaust is not only perfectly legal, it is big business. No American
    company selling weapons to Turkey will discuss the holocaust of 1915. Chairs
    of Ottoman studies are being funded by the Turkish government at American
    universities in which US academics - who have to prove they have used
    Ottoman archives to get their jobs and thus must never have condemned the
    1915 slaughters - propagate the lie that the Armenians were merely victims
    of "civil war" and that Turks also died in the chaos of 1915.

Turks did. But not on the Armenian scale. Anyone who was to write that the
    Jews were victims of a European civil war and that, anyway, "Germans also
    died" would be regarded as cracked or a neo-Nazi. Not so if you deny the
    Armenian holocaust.

Take the following letter, for example: "The myth of the 'Armenian
    Holocaust' was created immediately after World War I with the hope that the
    Armenians could be rewarded for their 'sufferings' with a piece of the
    disintegrating Ottoman state. As such, the main aims of the inventors were
    political and territorial." Now substitute the word Armenian with the word
    Jew. Who would ever get away with a letter about the "myth of the Jewish
    Holocaust" as an invention of Jews who wanted to be rewarded for
    "sufferings" (the quotation marks suggesting their falsity)? Who would ever
    publish such lies?

But that letter was written about the Armenians. And it was written by a
    Turkish ambassador. In fact - heaven spare us - it was written by Barlas
    Ozener, the Turkish ambassador to Israel. And it was printed, in full, in
    the Jerusalem Post.

But we Europeans are just as mendacious, if more discreetly so. Take Mr
    Chirac in Beirut. The French Assembly had just condemned the Armenian
    holocaust of 1915 - there are men of principle in French politics. But not
    Chirac. When asked less than two years ago for his views on the resolution,
    he replied: "I do not comment on a matter of domestic (sic) politics when
    I'm abroad." Would that have been his response if the Assembly had just
    denounced the Jewish Holocaust?

Mr Blair said this week that as the Jewish survivors of the Nazi Holocaust
    "age and become fewer in number, it becomes more and more our duty to take
    up the mantle and tell each new generation what happened and what could
    happen again".

But there are a few very Armenian survivors left. Why weren't they asked
    this week about their memories? At Musa Dagh and later at Smyrna in 1920,
    British, French and American warships rescued a few of the pitiful Armenian
    survivors of that earlier Holocaust. But Mr Blair was silent this week. And
    silence gives consent.

I am all for memorial days. Especially one that marks the Jewish Holocaust.
    And especially memorial days for other holocausts. Armenians too. But
    Hitler's ghost can have a little laugh this week. After all, who now
    remembers the Armenians?

GRAPHIC: An Armenian priest hung in a street in Constantinople in 1915; Topham

Originally posted by Tongue
    "WHO NOW remembers the Armenians?" Hitler asked, just before he embarked on the destruction of European Jewry.
    Correction: The "Who remembers the Armenians?" speech by Hitler was in fact describing his plans for destruction of Polish nation and not European Jewry.

Comment

Originally posted by Boubrig
      Why wasn't the title of this thread changed to "REMEMBER THE FIRST GENOCIDE"?
      Why? Because that's the title of the article.. what Robert Fisk decided to name his article.. not my personal preference! The articles you posted in http://www.armeniangenocide.com/foru...ead.php?t=1612 thread didn't even use the word "holocaust" in it.. YOU chose to call it a Holocaust and our forum is currently not accepting any threads that contains the word "Holocaust" for several reasons. Why are you so deeply bothered by it, is interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Behcet
        This is false.

One, the alleged statment is about European Poledom. Two, Hitler didn't say this, even Armenian scholars agree that he didn't.
        What Armenian Scholars? Sources?

Comment

This quote is the English version of the German document handed to Louis P. Lochner in Berlin. It first appeared in Lochner's What About Germany? (New York: Dodd, Mead & Co., 1942), pp. 1-4. The Nuremberg Tribunal later identified the document as L-3 or Exhibit USA-28. Two other versions of the same document appear in Appendices II and III. For the German original cf. Akten zur Deutschen Auswartigen Politik 1918-1945, Serie D, Band VII, (Baden-Baden, 1956), pp. 171-172.
          General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I already read "where" it originated, you don't have to explain that. That still doesn't change the fact that it is false.

According to Turks and Dr. John. Others believe the actual source.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I have posted in detail on this issue - perhaps I will put a link. The quote is accurate and has been extensively verified. Additionally there are a whole range of other very similar quotes by Hitler that proove his awareness of the Armenian genocide and point to his thought process concerning such - which is iterated most clearly in the (Admiral Canaris version - the most detailed) text of the Obersalzberg speeches.

While the quote specifically was given prior to the invasion of Poland it certainly has direct application to the Holocaust that followed as well as the whole aggressive territorial world war pursued by Germany. Hitler was attempting to encourage ruthlessness of action in his shock troops and assure them that they would suffer no consequences from such. Additionally he was introducing the concept of Lebensraum (Living Space) for the Germans...integral to this concept was the elimination of unwantable populations from areas where Germans were to settle/occupy (and this was a huge imputus for the war and prior related actions against neighboring nations/territories to begin with (Sudentanland etc). Much as the Armenians were inhabiting areas where the Turks wished exclusively for their own - Hitler saw other "lesser" peoples in lands he claimed for Germans. Hitler realized that the Turks had accomplished thier ethnic cleansing of Armenians under the cover of war and that even in defeat they had avoided justice for their crimes. In his speaches of this time he goes on and on introducing concepts akin to "might makes right" and that the outcome will determine the rightness of the actions not the morality of it. So Hitler was hoping to emulate the brutality of the Turks (and their predesceors) and convey to his troops that throguh this they would find sucess for the German people and they needn't worry about retribution or consequences. I would say that the lessons of the Armenian Genocide in WWI were well understood and converyed by Hitler and his meaning and the consequences for both German territorial aggression and ruthlessness against all unwanted peoples of Europe is most clear - and most clearly this lesson was learned by his knowledge and exposure to events surrounding the Armenian Genocide.

Comment

It's funny how according you you denialists, every evidence concerning the Armenian genocide is "false propaganda".. including this one. Why am I not surprised. Maybe it's about time for you guys to WAKE UP and OPEN your eyes and ears see and hear what's going on around you and stop living in your own little three dimensional world and join the rest of the nations- instead of looking for excuses for practically EVERYTHING concerning the genocide. What do you say?

Comment

You do the same. What do you say?
                  Do what?

Comment

Originally posted by Tongue
                    Why? Because that's the title of the article.. what Robert Fisk decided to name his article.. not my personal preference! The articles you posted in http://www.armeniangenocide.com/foru...ead.php?t=1612 thread didn't even use the word "holocaust" in it.. YOU chose to call it a Holocaust and our forum is currently not accepting any threads that contains the word "Holocaust" for several reasons. Why are you so deeply bothered by it, is interesting to know.
                    This doesn't make any sense. There are many articles as well as historians and scholars that call it the Armenian Holocaust. Am I to understand that no articles that refer to it as the Armenian Holocaust are to be allowed in this forum simply because it contains the word Holocaust? You would do well to remember that it was called Holocaust first and that term was used extensively for a very long time until Lemkin invented the term genocide in the late forties.

Comment

Working...
                    X