Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Greek Genocide of Asia Minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Genocide of Asia Minor

First of all I would like to congratulate your nation for your successful effort your genocide to be recognized from the civilized world.For the greeks the armenian genocide is more than a fact.Our grandparents told about those atrocities which are written in every book of greek literature which refers to the specific period.
    Unfortunately the efforts of the greek-anatolian-refugy societies to recognize the greek genocide are not well organized & unity also lacks among them!Not to mention that many greeks,both politicians & civilians prefer to forget that matter in order not to harm our precious greek-turkish friendship,the same time that the human rights of what was left from the greek minority of Constantinoupolis are violated & the orthodox Patriarch is threatened from th turkish nationalists.
    Even the greek Parliament at 1996 was forced from the turkish&american ambassadors to invalidate their decission for recognition of the armenian genocide & at 1999 to also invalidate the subscribed from the greek President of Democracy,draft of law which consecrating a day of national mourning(9/9)for the greek genocide of Asia Minor.

Chronological the greek genocide took place the period between 1914-1922.Its peaks were at 1917,1919-20 &1922.During the period between 1930-1975,especially 1955 the greek minority of Constantinople was banned from its ancestral homeland & only 2.000 remain now.

According to the french stistics of 1911 the greeks of Thrace & Asia minor were more than 2.400.000.Up to 1928,1.300.000 refugees came to Greece(50.000 armenians among them),80.000 escape at Russia & 150.000 remained at Constantinople under the protection of the international treaties.What happened with the rest 800.000 greeks of Asia minor?

Feel free to ask about the greek holocaust of Asia minor or to give your opinions.I'd also like to learn about the armenian populations of the ottoman vilaets,before the genocide.

Welcome to the Forum Ionas Yasu!
    My paternal grandmother was a greek from Samsun and escaped the genocide of the Pontus greeks there.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Thank you Gavur!Your greatgrandmother had the luck & unluck to be one of the 75.000 pontian greeks who escaped at Caucasus & one of the 200.000 pontians who managed to escape death-marsh in order to tell the story & be the last of their nation.My greatgrandmother was also lucky enough to escape captivity at Smyrna(Izmir) because she spoke english & some american mariners thought of her being english or american & they prevent her turkish persecutors from captivating her.My greatgrandparent marched as an amele tamburu prisoner from Afion karahisar up to Adana & he finaly survived.
      Actualy the pontian greeks have the most well organized greek-anatolian societies (globally) & were the first in who had stir up the genocide matter in Greece.The bad in the whole thing is that they deny to cooperate with the rest greek anatolian societies in order to prove & convince united the international public opinion for the Holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Ionas
        First of all I would like to congratulate your nation for your successful effort your genocide to be recognized from the civilized world.For the greeks the armenian genocide is more than a fact.Our grandparents told about those atrocities which are written in every book of greek literature which refers to the specific period.
        Unfortunately the efforts of the greek-anatolian-refugy societies to recognize the greek genocide are not well organized & unity also lacks among them!Not to mention that many greeks,both politicians & civilians prefer to forget that matter in order not to harm our precious greek-turkish friendship,the same time that the human rights of what was left from the greek minority of Constantinoupolis are violated & the orthodox Patriarch is threatened from th turkish nationalists.
        Even the greek Parliament at 1996 was forced from the turkish&american ambassadors to invalidate their decission for recognition of the armenian genocide & at 1999 to also invalidate the subscribed from the greek President of Democracy,draft of law which consecrating a day of national mourning(9/9)for the greek genocide of Asia Minor.

Chronological the greek genocide took place the period between 1914-1922.Its peaks were at 1917,1919-20 &1922.During the period between 1930-1975,especially 1955 the greek minority of Constantinople was banned from its ancestral homeland & only 2.000 remain now.

According to the french stistics of 1911 the greeks of Thrace & Asia minor were more than 2.400.000.Up to 1928,1.300.000 refugees came to Greece(50.000 armenians among them),80.000 escape at Russia & 150.000 remained at Constantinople under the protection of the international treaties.What happened with the rest 800.000 greeks of Asia minor?

Feel free to ask about the greek holocaust of Asia minor or to give your opinions.I'd also like to learn about the armenian populations of the ottoman vilaets,before the genocide.
        Really? And its peaks were 1917, 1919-1922? Exactly when Greece was occupying entire Western Turkey with 400.000 troops. And exactly after 30 November 1918 when Treaty of Mondros disarmed the defeated Ottoman army?

Here are some reading suggestion about the matter, and I share my personal family history later on if you wish:

Crescent & Star by Stephen Kinzer (American)
        The Turks Today by Andrew Mango (British)
        The Balkan Wars by Andre Gerolymatos (Greek-Canadian!)

They all describe the attrocities of invading Greek soldiers, and of the Anatolian & Pontian Greeks who volunteered to join the Greek Army. Especially horrifying are the massacres in Afyon-Karahisar, Ayvalik, Manisa, Salihli, Odemis, Tire and Aydin.

You also include your nonsense number of 2.400.000 Greeks in Thrace and Asia minor as of 1911, 800.000 of them being unaccounted for! The first blow to your miscalculation comes from the books which I mentioned above, plus ANY history book dealing with that matter, regarding the number of Greeks who immigrated to Greece. And their numbers are not 1.3 million, but between 1.5-1.6 million. It is ugly to participate in your numbers game, but here the number of your 'unaccounted' Greeks drop to 500-600 thousand.

Are you not aware, for God's sake, that Ottomans lost entire Macedonia (Western Thrace, Kavala, up to Thessaloniki) to Greece in 1913? Could it be that the majority of these 800.000 (actually 500-600.000) people became citizens of newly expanded Greece? Obviously for the Greeks who were living in Macedonia & Western Thrace, they stopped overnight being Ottoman citizens and became Greek citizens, because of the fact that these lands became Greek in 1913! Or did Greece occupy & gain Macedonia even though there was not one single Greek living in Macedonia?

Good luck in your indoctrinated & baseless propaganda war against Turkey! But do not forget to add more credibility to your silly numbers game.

Comment

Turks are never able to face their ugly history

They invade Armenia, rape, pillage, plunder, enslave and subjugate them for centuries, have them build their "empire", then get rid of them by wiping them off the face of their homeland, call it "Eastern Anatolia" and blame the victims for the Genocide.

They do more or less the same things with Greeks and Assyrians, then call the homeland of the Greeks "Western Turkey" and complain that Greeks have "occupied" Constantinople!!!!!

As far as the Assyrians are concerned, dear Ionas, it seems they are even worse off because they do not have a state (however small) at all.

Why are the Turks so self-righteous?

I have asked this dozens of times but they won't answer.
          Four things denialist Turks do when they are confronted with facts:

I. They change the subject [SIZE="1"](e.g. they copy/paste tons of garbage to divert attention).[/SIZE]
          II. They project [SIZE="1"](e.g. they replace "Turk" with "Armenian" and vice versa and they regurgitate Armenian history).[/SIZE]
          III. They offend [SIZE="1"](e.g. they cuss, threaten and/or mock).[/SIZE]
          IV. They shut up and say nothing.

[URL="http://b.imagehost.org/download/0689/azerbaijan-real-fake-absurd.pdf"][COLOR="Red"]A country named Azerbaijan north of the Arax River [B]NEVER[/B] existed before 1918[/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Turanist
            Ionas.

Why is Greece not even recognise this?
            Why is not so-called republic of Cyprus recognise this?
            Why is not even Armenia recognise this?
            Why is no one recognise this?
            Why you forgetting that over 300,000 Greeks emmigrated back to Greece after USSR colapsed? also Georgia still has big Greek population.

Why is no International Association of Genocide Scholars (IAGS) recognise genocide?

Nearly all historians on the subject, eyewitnesses, nations (particularly those who were involved with Turkey during the time ie. Germany) and associations (INCLUDING: International Association of Genocide Scholars): Recognize the Armenian Genocide!!!

And what? It's still not good enough for you. Do all of those criteria cause you to recognize that the Armenian Genocide took place? If not, then it still wouldn't make you realize that a Genocide of the Greeks took place - so why do you bring it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik

Nearly all historians on the subject, eyewitnesses, nations (particularly those who were involved with Turkey during the time ie. Germany) and associations (INCLUDING: International Association of Genocide Scholars): Recognize the Armenian Genocide!!!

And what? It's still not good enough for you. Do all of those criteria cause you to recognize that the Armenian Genocide took place? If not, then it still wouldn't make you realize that a Genocide of the Greeks took place - so why do you bring it up?
              Hovik, please check my postings regarding my opinion about the Armenian genocide, and my posting on this thread with historical facts countering this fictitious genocide. In case you don't bother to do so, let me try to summarize the difference in two sentences:

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE HISTORY BOOK WHICH DISPUTES THE FACY THAT THE MAJORITY ANATOLIAN AND PONTIAN GREEKS (MALES) JOINED THE GREEK ARMY WHICH OCCUPIED WESTERN TURKEY BETWEEN 1919-1922. DENYING OR IGNORING THIS IS AN INSULT TO ARMENIANS WHO REMAINED, TO A GREAT EXTENT, LOYAL TO OTTOMAN EMPIRE.

Comment

Originally posted by Vogelgrippe
                Hovik, please check my postings regarding my opinion about the Armenian genocide, and my posting on this thread with historical facts countering this fictitious genocide. In case you don't bother to do so, let me try to summarize the difference in two sentences:

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE HISTORY BOOK WHICH DISPUTES THE FACY THAT THE MAJORITY ANATOLIAN AND PONTIAN GREEKS (MALES) JOINED THE GREEK ARMY WHICH OCCUPIED WESTERN TURKEY BETWEEN 1919-1922. DENYING OR IGNORING THIS IS AN INSULT TO ARMENIANS WHO REMAINED, TO A GREAT EXTENT, LOYAL TO OTTOMAN EMPIRE.
                Vogel,
                your response has nothing to do with my post to Turanist, or the reasoning for it. Please read and understand the topic before posting. I was not arguing whether or not a Greek Genocide happened, I was simply pointing out how ironic it is that Turanist implys that since there isn't recognition (by governments, experts, IAGS) there a genocide didn't occur, yet the Armenian Genocide is recognized by all of those and Turanist still doesn't believe in it - so there is no point in bringing it up. You're barking up the wrong tree pal...

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik
                  Vogel,
                  your response has nothing to do with my post to Turanist, or the reasoning for it. Please read and understand the topic before posting. I was not arguing whether or not a Greek Genocide happened, I was simply pointing out how ironic it is that Turanist implys that since there isn't recognition (by governments, experts, IAGS) there a genocide didn't occur, yet the Armenian Genocide is recognized by all of those and Turanist still doesn't believe in it - so there is no point in bringing it up. You're barking up the wrong tree pal...
                  Hovik, on this thread, you were the only one who wrote anything which made sense according to my opinion. Therefore I only bothered to reply to you. If I had the slightest hope that they would understand, I would point my postings to them as well. Sorry if you took it as an insult

Still, Turanist's self-contradicting response doesn't change the fact that Iona's claim is a blatant, baseless propaganda. I hope I am clear enough this time.

Comment

Hovik, on this thread, you were the only one who wrote anything which made sense according to my opinion. Therefore I only bothered to reply to you. If I had the slightest hope that they would understand, I would point my postings to them as well. Sorry if you took it as an insult
                    I didn't take it as an insult at all - didn't say so, and didn't imply so... just wanted you to be sure you knew what we were discussing before jumping in with an off-topic post.

Still, Turanist's self-contradicting response doesn't change the fact that Iona's claim is a blatant, baseless propaganda. I hope I am clear enough this time.
                    Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I am not going to express my opinion on the existence or non-existence of a Genocide of Greeks. You are welcome to take that part up with Iona!

Comment

Working...
                    X