Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Kemal Ataturk admitted the AG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    I said this before, perhaps here, that I think most Armenians have no real interest in wanting to see proper documentary evidence of the genocide because, in their hearts, they think that only Armenians are capable of understanding the issues - and since all Armenians know that the genocide did happen there is thus no need to display such documentary evidence.

Must be kidding... So you only accept AG in Armenia but don't expect anyone else to do so

Comment

Affirming is not the same as providing original documentation.
      Well, how do you think they affirmed it? Did they just pull out fake facts from their asses and decided to aknolwedge it?

Most of the Genocide scholars are world famous, Samantha Powers, Yehuda Bauer, Israel Charny ect...

Do you think they would affirm something before being 100% sure of it? After all they are historians and not politicians.

Comment

Here again, these are all world-famous historians:

International Affirmation of the Armenian Genocide

Public Petitions

Statement by 126 Holocaust Scholars, Holders of Academic Chairs, and Directors of Holocaust Research and Studies Centers

March 7, 2000

View image of the petition appeared in New York Times, June 9, 2000.

126 HOLOCAUST SCHOLARS AFFIRM THE INCONTESTABLE FACT OF THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE AND URGE WESTERN DEMOCRACIES TO OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZE IT

At the Thirtieth Anniversary of the Scholar's Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches Convening at St. Joseph University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 3-7, 2000, one hundred twenty-six Holocaust Scholars, holders of Academic Chairs and Directors of Holocaust Research and Studies Centers, participants of the Conference, signed a statement affirming that the World War I Armenian Genocide is an incontestable historical fact and accordingly urge the governments of Western democracies to likewise recognize it as such. The petitioners, among whom is Nobel Laureate for Peace Elie Wiesel, who was the keynote speaker at the conference, also asked the Western Democracies to urge the Government and Parliament of Turkey to finally come to terms with a dark chapter of Ottoman-Turkish history and to recognize the Armenian Genocide. This would provide an invaluable impetus to the process of the democratization of Turkey.

Below is a partial list of the signatories:

Prof. Yehuda Bauer
        Distinguished Professor
        Hebrew University
        Director, The International Institute of Holocaust Research
        Yad Vashem, Jerusalem

Prof. Israel Charny, Director
        Institute of the Holocaust and Genocide, Jerusalem
        Professor at the Hebrew University,
        Editor-in-Chief of The Encyclopedia of Genocide

Prof. Ward Churchill
        Ethnic Studies
        The University of Colorado, Boulder

Prof. Stephen Feinstein, Director
        Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies
        University of Minnesota

Prof. Saul Friedman, Director
        Holocaust and Jewish Studies
        Youngston State University, Ohio

Prof. Edward Gaffney
        Valparaiso University Law School

Prof. Zev Garber
        Los Angeles Valley College

Prof. Dorota Glowacka
        University of King's Collage
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Dr. Irving Greenberg, President
        Jewish Life Network

Prof. Herbert Hirsch
        Virginia Commonwealth University

Prof. Irving L. Horowitz
        Hannah Arendt Distinguished Professor
        Rutgers University, NJ

Rabbi Dr. Steve Jacobs
        Temple Sinai Shalom
        Huntsville, Alabama
        Associate Editor of The Encyclopedia of Genocide

Prof. Steven Katz
        Distinguish Professor
        Director, Center for Judaic Studies
        Boston University

Prof. Richard Libowitz
        Temple University

Dr. Marcia Littell
        Stockton College
        Exec. Director, Scholars' Conference
        On the Holocaust and the Churches

Franklin Littell
        Emeritus Professor
        Temple University

Prof. Hubert G. Locke
        Washington University
        Co-founder of the Annual Scholar's Conference
        On the Holocaust and the Churches

Dr. Elizabeth Maxwell
        Executive Director of the International Scholarly
        Conference on the Holocaust, London, England

Prof. Erik Markusen
        Southwest State University, MN

Prof. Saul Mendlowitz
        Dag Hammerskjold Distinguished Professor
        of International Law
        Rutgers University

Prof. Jack Needle, Director
        Center for Holocaust Studies
        Brookdale Community College
        Lincroft, NJ

Dr. Philip Rosen, Director
        Holocaust Education Center of the Delaware Valley

Prof. Alan S, Rosenbaum
        Dept. of Philosophy
        Cleveland State University

William L. Shulman, President
        Association of Holocaust Organizations City University of New York

Prof. Samuel Totten
        The University of Arkansas
        Assoc. Editor of The Encyclopedia of Genocide

Prof. Elie Wiesel
        Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities
        Boston University
        Founding Chairman of the United States
        Holocaust Memorial Council
        Nobel Laureate for Peace

Comment

Originally posted by HayerMiacek
          Well, how do you think they affirmed it? Did they just pull out fake facts from their asses and decided to aknolwedge it?

Most of the Genocide scholars are world famous, Samantha Powers, Yehuda Bauer, Israel Charny ect...

Do you think they would affirm something before being 100% sure of it? After all they are historians and not politicians.
          It's clear that you have just not understood what I have said.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

It's clear that you have just not understood what I have said.
            I am all ears

Comment

I said this before, perhaps here, that I think most Armenians have no real interest in wanting to see proper documentary evidence of the genocide because, in their hearts, they think that only Armenians are capable of understanding the issues - and since all Armenians know that the genocide did happen there is thus no need to display such documentary evidence.
              I don't think this is really how it is although it's understandable how it can be precieved as such. While it is true that Armenians themselves don't really need documented proof of the genocide since most have had the stories told to them by surviving members of their families that passed on what they had witnessed with their own eyes on to their children and grandchildren, so I wouldn't really say it's because in our hearts we that that only we can understand. We don't need documented proof for ourselves since we believe our gradparents etc that were there and experienced it first hand and managed to live to tell about it, but although those first hand accounts should carry some weight, we do have plenty of eye witness accounts from non-Armenians.

I would sooner explain it this way.
              Some Armenians don't understand why they should have to prove what has already been proven, over and over and over again, just because some turk pops up once in a while to repeat the same old worn out tired denialist BS we have been seeing for years that never held any water from the get-go. But when it comes to normal people who are truly interested in the facts surrounding the AG, I personally prefer to give them eye witness accounts of non-Armenians (for the obvious reasons) and documentation from government archives, particularly of Germany since they were turkey's wartime allies and cannot be considered as biased or wartime propaganda by the enemy, rather than a simple, "It's the undeniable truth and that's all you need to know.".

I do agree that just because Elie Wiesel or whoever "said-so" isn't the same as providing actual evidence. Kind of reminds me of the phrase, "A nod is as good as a wink." for some reason. Plus there are many people that think Elie Wiesel is not a genuinely honest person to begin with, so they would tend to disbelieve rather than believe.

BTW, personally, I have never used affirmations or recognitions by this that or the other country as "proof" there was a genocide.

Comment

Yes M. Kemal admitted the Genocide in several time but halfheartedly. But this didnot happen that because he tries to follow truth becuase he made overtures to Western powers. When step by step he took all the power and became a dictator, namely after 1920, he never mentioned about the Genocides. For him, Genocide is just a political manoeuvre to exploit.

Comment

I also don't think that he felt really bad and just agreed with the Genocide. It's all politics. But the nonetheless, he agreed with it slightly or completely.
                  THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Working...
                  X