Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What do Armenians think of Ataturk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Armenians think of Ataturk?

I have a question for the Armenian people. What do they generally think of Kemal Ataturk? Do they like him, or dislike him, and give me any reasons if there are. I am just curious. Many thanks already

I only remember 1.5 million stating that he was a visionary or something similar, however, among other statements of his not so in favour of him. Apart from those remarks he is disliked or hated among the Armenians on the forum. I hope I am proven wrong.

Comment

But when the genocide occured, Ataturk was not the president of Turkey. So is he also responsible for the AG, or am I wrong?

PS: Do not think I admire this bastard, just want to know why Armenians like or dislike him.

Comment

I thought Ataturk was fighting in Galipoli in 1915 (during the genocide) and was not a important figure at that time. This is the reason why I dont think he was involved in the genocide.

Although he was the one that caused the Kurds that live in current day Turkey problems like banning their langauge, trying to impose Turkish identity on them and mass murdering them.

Ataturk was blonde and had blue eyes which is why I believe he was a Bulgarian (or perhaps a Macedonian).

Comment

Ataturk is responsible for killing Sheik Said Piran, the great Kurdish revolutionairy leader. Responsible for atrocities against Kurds, against mankind. Like the crush of the Dersim rebellion. He introduced fascist laws in Turkey and calls Kurds, Mountain Turks. No matter what, I'll hate this guy forever.
          But do Armenians also despise him? And what about the Bulgarians (question for you Bulgarian)?

Comment

Are kurdish banned?

Just FYI, Kurdish is not banned in Turkiye. I'd lived in Mardin for a year. In Mardin there are turks, kurds, arabs. You can hear arabic, kurdish in streets. And also many of the people (espacially women) couldn't speak Turkish.
            Many of the people in Turkey wants to follow Ataturk's ideas (Kemalizm) and we tought that being a Turk is not a bloodhod thing. Via this thinking way half of the parliament is formed by Kurdish origin people.
            And my armenian friends; we have to work to form a peaceful world in this reagon, as you know USA, EU are not looking this region friendly. We can see what's happening in MiddleEast, Cyprus vs. So we have to be clever.
            Israel (Jewish people) is one of Jenocide treated people but now they're making the same thing. So we shouldn't look back, (also if we looked at Karabag situation you are not so innocent.)
            And you Kerkuk_Kurdish what's your job? I think you're agent and your mission is mixing up minds, And a question in this region all countries Iraq, Turkiye, Syria, Iran have a Kurdish problem and your people always betray the country where they live. Just look at Turkish people, there are many Turks all around the world, but we don't betray where we live. And also we always have an home world. But you don't. I think this makes you jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by seven_ba
              And you Kerkuk_Kurdish what's your job? I think you're agent and your mission is mixing up minds, And a question in this region all countries Iraq, Turkiye, Syria, Iran have a Kurdish problem and your people always betray the country where they live. Just look at Turkish people, there are many Turks all around the world, but we don't betray where we live. And also we always have an home world. But you don't. I think this makes you jealous.
              Kurds betray countries? Since when do we consider Iraq,Turkey,Syria or Iran as our countries to defend them?

If they try to exterminate Kurdish people and identity, we will not stand by.
              By your logic, if the cypriot government was killing all Turks there, they would just have to look.

Get out of your fascism.

Comment

Originally posted by kerkuk_kurdista
                I have a question for the Armenian people. What do they generally think of Kemal Ataturk? Do they like him, or dislike him, and give me any reasons if there are. I am just curious. Many thanks already
                Interesting question and I'm sure this subject will become a heated one. I've often thought about this and it's not easy to answer, being that Ataturk was not one of the instigators of the Armenian Genocide. We reserve our hate for Enver Pasha, Talaat Pasha, Djemal Pasha, Dr. Nazim, and the rest of the CUP leadership and pan-turkists, those in charge of the Genocide that dragged the whole of Anatolia to disaster (and unwittingly glorified by Turks whenever they deny the Genocide).

About Ataturk, it is my opinion that he is worshipped like a god in Turkey, which can be both positive and negative I suppose. It's positive if you a devout nationalist and you feel the country should rely on a messianic figurehead to keep the nation together. In Turkey he is everywhere, sort of like Mao during the Cultural Revolution in China or Lenin was in the Soviet Union; Cult of Personality.

Ataturk is very negative if you are a Kurd, Armenian, Assyrian, etc for obvious reasons. They do not fit the mold of being citizens unless they are willing to give up their language, culture, history...even their names.

From what I've read, he is a controversial figure with a dual nature: A smart tactictian, well-read, at times unreasonable, an alcoholic, loved Turkey but hated its people, a strong leader who strived to be worshiped, of ethnic Bulgarian backgroud, despised religion, forced to surround himself with certain remanants of the CUP for convenience but hated them, played the game of manipulation well (able to keep both the Soviets and the West at bay), admired even by his foes, a modernizer yet undemocratic, loved Western culture and despised Anatolian culture, inventor of pseudo-science ( Ataturk "Sun Theory") emancipator of women, crushed any opposition....

What I do know is I could probably get in serious troble if I wrote those things in Turkey.

Though Ataturk was not involved in the AG and denounced the CUP leadership for their roles in the crime he may have ordered the invasion of Armenia in 1920 by Karabekir (though I'm not sure how powerful Ataturk was at this time) and the liquidation of the Armenian population that had repatriated to Cilicia after WWI.
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Author of biography on Ataturk's wife charged with insulting late leader

Saturday, August 19, 2006

SUZAN FRASER

ANKARA - The Associated Press

A Turkish prosecutor has charged an author with insulting the revered late leader Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in a biography about his wife, the book's publisher said on Friday.

?pek Çal??lar, the latest in a series of writers charged under Turkey's freedom-curbing laws, faces up to four-and-a-half years in prison if found guilty of insulting Atatürk, said Vahit Uysal of Dogan Publishing.

The European Union -- which Turkey hopes to join -- has been exerting heavy pressure on the country to get rid of repressive laws and to improve freedoms.

The prosecutor also filed charges against Necdet Tatl?can, an editor for Hürriyet newspaper, which published excerpts of the book, "Latife Hanim," Uysal said.

In the book, Çal??lar says that the Turkish leader, facing an assassination attempt, left the presidential palace in a chador, disguised as a woman. The charges were initiated by a Hürriyet reader, Hüseyin Tu?rul Pekin, who petitioned the prosecutor saying, "To claim that ... Atatürk, whom no one could even attempt to weigh his courage, would have done something like this ... is the greatest insult." The trial has been set for Oct. 5.Çal??lar's book is the first comprehensive biography of Latife Ussaki, who was married to Atatürk for about two years until he divorced her in 1925. The book became a best-seller within days of its publication in June and helped to dispel a long-held image of her as a reviled woman blamed for the break up of the marriage. It portrayed her, instead, as a strong-willed woman who advanced women's rights in Turkey. Çal??lar said on Friday that the passage in question was based on accounts from Latife's sister Vecihe ?lmen and other sources.

"The assassination attempt ... is a historic fact," Çal??lar said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press. Atatürk's escape in woman's clothing "was a decision Atatürk made at a critical time and was successful," she said. "Historians may discuss the issue, but I don't think that the issue is of any concern to lawyers." Çal??lar joins a long list of journalists and writers charged with insulting Turkey, "Turkishness" or state institutions.

In the most prominent case, novelist Orhan Pamuk stood trial this year on charges of insulting "Turkishness" for commenting on the killings of Armenians by Turks around the time of World War I, which a number of governments and scholars have said was the first genocide of the 20th century. The charges were dropped amid intense international pressure. Turkey vehemently denies that the mass killings were genocide, saying the death toll is inflated and Armenians were killed in civil unrest as the Ottoman Empire collapsed.

On Sept. 21, author Elif ?afak is to stand trial because of the words uttered by a fictional Armenian character in her novel "The Bastard of Istanbul." In the book, an Armenian character refers to "Turkish butchers."

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an's government has made clear it has no plans to change laws used to prosecute Pamuk and others, saying the charges are eventually dropped and defendants are acquitted.

EU officials argue, however, that even if the charges are dropped, the threat of prosecution remains as a deterrent against people wishing to express opinions.

© 2005 Dogan Daily News Inc. www.turkishdailynews.com.tr
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I would like to add my piece, but the question is forwarded to Armenians. Come on forum people have you say...

Comment

Working...
                    X