Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Great Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Flood

One cannot help but take note of THE GREAT FLOOD...

In the recent days following Orhan Pamuk's winning of the Nobel Prize and the French Parliment criminalizing the denial of the Armenian Genocide in France the same way denial of the Jewish Holocaust is punished, Turks have flooded this forum with anger and hate directed at Armenians.

I just wanted to ask these Turks, why is it that it takes a country deciding it's position on the AG to wake you up and swing you into action - however full of hatred that action may be?

If you know so well, through education and research that the AG didn't happen, why don't you spend more time discussing it in places like this forum? Why don't you cite books that you've read and unbiased eyewitness accounts that you've reviewed? Why don't you leave your hatred and anger at the door and come here to discuss this as mature, civilized human beings?

Why are your hearts so full of deep-rooted hatred?

I've never read an Orhan Pamuk book, nor do I know the criteria for deciding literary Nobel prizes, but some critics of Pamuk are quoted to have said that Pamuk's Nobel prize is "purely political". They may be at least partially right.

But of course, that's not the least of an excuse to be angry at Armenians, since I highly doubt Armenians had much to do with the nominating committee in the first place.

Comment

The nobel prize and the French Parliamentary resolution came on the same day. Sad and strange coincidence, however anger towards Armenians via Pamuks nobel victory is very indirect if not unrelated. People in Turkey are angry at Pamuk for for saying that a million Armenians and some thousands of Kurds were killed in Turkey without somehow stating referances and proof which IMHO he actually could readily have done. They are angry at him because he is a story writer and not a historian and coz he has left these words unbacked. I feel no anger whatsoever, I'm just pissed off coz of all this reaction towards this guy; everybody should be able to say whatever they think. I am happy he got the prize but I could have been happier.

Comment

Originally posted by hitite
        The nobel prize and the French Parliamentary resolution came on the same day. Sad and strange coincidence, however anger towards Armenians via Pamuks nobel victory is very indirect if not unrelated. People in Turkey are angry at Pamuk for for saying that a million Armenians and some thousands of Kurds were killed in Turkey without somehow stating referances and proof which IMHO he actually could readily have done. They are angry at him because he is a story writer and not a historian and coz he has left these words unbacked. I feel no anger whatsoever, I'm just pissed off coz of all this reaction towards this guy; everybody should be able to say whatever they think. I am happy he got the prize but I could have been happier.
        Well, like you say, he's not a historian - it's not really his responsibility to bring proof... and if he 'readily could have done it' then that means you acknowledge that the evidence is there. If the evidence is there then what the hell is the problem?

Comment

hitite, it's a novel he's writing after all. It would be kind of awkward if a novel was cluttered and stuffed with historical footnotes, don't you think? Imagine how unreadable a Tom Clancy novel would have become if that was the standard format.

Although I'm kinda upset about the reaction, too. I wish people would just accept his award for what it is.

Comment

[QUOTE=watercolours]x QUOTE]

Watercolours, the Republic of Turkiye was 1000% against any discussion of the issue with anyone until finally last year when it realized that it was being left behind in a sea of acknowledgment of this crime. We, the Armenian peopel, had been asking the Turks for a dialog for 5 decades since the early 1960s. We had been asking them to open their archives for 5 decades. We had been asking them to open their minds for 5 decades. Nothing, nothing but denial. And now that the world isn't buying the Turkish lies anymore, all of a sudden the Turkish Republic wants to have a so-called "international committee" to flesh out the truth. It's a little late. While Turkey was spending its energy trying to hide the truth, the independent academic community studied this history. And guess what they have concluded virtually unanimously: it was a Genocide. So the time to debate it among an "international committee" is long gone. The debate is over. The historians have made their conclusions. Meanwhile, Turkey has had 90 years to purge its archives, which were closed during this entire period. But if you want to study the history, go right ahead. You don't need Armenian approval to do it. Please do it.

Comment

Originally posted by HAN
              x?
              Your following the usual pattern of the denier. Your now in the desperation phase.

Comment

Are you asking if I am desperate? No. Go ahead ask whatever you want. We are old neighbours, aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik
                  Well, like you say, he's not a historian - it's not really his responsibility to bring proof... and if he 'readily could have done it' then that means you acknowledge that the evidence is there. If the evidence is there then what the hell is the problem?

Well there is no problem Hovik if you want a direct answer to your above question. How many Armenians are left in East Anatolia? Thats enough proof to me and I agree that many many Armenians were killed or sent away. Nobody can deny that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kharpert
                    hitite, it's a novel he's writing after all. It would be kind of awkward if a novel was cluttered and stuffed with historical footnotes, don't you think? Imagine how unreadable a Tom Clancy novel would have become if that was the standard format.

Although I'm kinda upset about the reaction, too. I wish people would just accept his award for what it is.
                    Kharpert, he said that stuff in an interview not in one of his novels. I would like to accept his reward for what it is but I also have this uneasy feeling abou the fellows saying this stuff for publicities sake. I have heard that this sort of political or social outbreaks "assist" in getting a nobel. Since I dont know him personally I will always have this doubt about how pure his intentions were. Why did he not just outright admit to a genocide rather than saying millions were killed?

Comment

Working...
                    X