Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Genocide Discussion Separated from Patriotic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genocide Discussion Separated from Patriotic Thread

These left-overs from the former Young Turk Party, who should have been made to account for the millions of our Christian subjects who were ruthlessly driven en masse, from their homes and massacred, have been restive under the Republican rule. - Ataturk
    Hello Hovik;
    I am glad that finally I could find a 'serious' forum to discuss.
    Firstly, I'd like to greet all with respect on this forum. My real dream is to see that Armenians and Turks are friends again...As all of us being the children of each of these nations, we truly deserve this.And also we owe it to our children's future.Negative approaches proved to bring more negativity, wheras positive approaches allways bring more positivity. And I'd like to be honest here, and will take things from positive approach.Best Regards

Originally posted by Anatolian-Heart
    These left-overs from the former Young Turk Party, who should have been made to account for the millions of our Christian subjects who were ruthlessly driven en masse, from their homes and massacred, have been restive under the Republican rule. - Ataturk
    Hello Hovik;
    Firstly, I'd like to greet all with respect on this forum. My real dream is to see that Armenians and Turks are friends again...As all of us being the children of each of these nations, we truly deserve this.And also we owe it to our children's future.Negative approaches proved to bring more negativity, wheras positive approaches allways bring more positivity. And I'd like to be honest here, and will take things from positive approach.Best Regards
    I look forward to seeing what you have to say.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Hello Hovik;
      Top of the list of positive approaches from the Turkish State would be for Turkey to open the border with Armenia.

But your small positive approach will help too!
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Hello Joseph and bell-the-cat,
        Firstly I'd like to say that Armenians are not 'foreigners' to Turks. They are 'ours' and we are 'theirs'.This is like that at least for the last 1000 years.The word Armenian reminds me of the 'sympathetic' and skillful shop owners in Grand Bazaar (Kapalicarsi) in Istanbul nowadays. How can I possibly think that they are foreigners? I should also indicate here that one of the best friends of my 9 year old son in Istanbul, is also an Armenian boy who lives just one floor down in the same building...
        I do acknowledge that very bad things happened in 1915-1916 (right middle of WW-I) in at that time's Ottoman State. Many Armenians died (some were killed by the other Ottoman citizens(specifically Turks and Kurds) and some were by infectious sicknesses during their deportation to Syria& Lebanon regions of Ottoman State). It is a big tragedy, needless to say.How sad I feel when I think of them.
        Let me try to describe a bit of the background of these years: The Armenian deportation was ordered by at that time's Ottomant government's and Young Turks party leaders: trio of Talat, Jamal and Enver Pashas- who kept the sole power (pacifizing the Sultan, with a kind of coup d'etat). They had led the Ottoman State to a rapid dissolvation by entering into WW-I in 1914 (ref. Goben and Breaslau battleships of Germany bombed Russia's Black Sea cities, with Ottoman Flag...), just after the Balkan Wars in 1912-1913 which they lost all Balkans clearly.
        Just after the WW-I, this trio had fled from the country to abroad, where they were assasinated and killed soon after...If they wouldn't have fled; they would possibly be trialed and punished for the destruction they caused in Ottoman state, more specifically for the deaths of approx. 3 millions of Ottoman citizens (2.5 millions Turks& Kurds and 0,5 million Armenians, in Balkans, North africa, Egypt, Yemen, Dardanelles, Caucausus& East/N.East Anatolia). What a tragedy! I'm filled with grief and sorrow thinking of their losses. I've also lost my grand grand father in Dardanelles in 1915)...
        Honestly speaking, I've also made a swift check in the world modern history; and could not find another State who was attacked by multitude of countries simultaneously at the same time! (1. Dardanelles (1915-1916): France, Great Britain, Anzacs-Australians&New Zealanders, British Indians. 2.Libya-Tripoli (1911):Italy 3.Kut-al-Amara/Iraq (1915-1916):G.Britain, British Indians 4. Baghdad (1917):G.Britain, British Indians, 5.Caucasus Campaign (1914-1918):Russia =>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus_Campaign.....
        May I also kindly ask to review the Original Deportation Law made by Ottoman State and your opinnions on it => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehcir_Law

Best Regards

Comment

Hello Joseph and bell-the-cat,
          Firstly I'd like to say that Armenians are not 'foreigners' to Turks. They are 'ours' and we are 'theirs'.This is like that at least for the last 1000 years.The word Armenian reminds me of the 'sympathetic' and skillful shop owners in Grand Bazaar (Kapalicarsi) in Istanbul nowadays. How can I possibly think that they are foreigners? I should also indicate here that one of the best friends of my 9 year old son in Istanbul, is also an Armenian boy who lives just one floor down in the same building...
          I do acknowledge that very bad things happened in 1915-1916 (right middle of WW-I) in at that time's Ottoman State. Many Armenians died (some were killed by the other Ottoman citizens(specifically Turks and Kurds) and some were by infectious sicknesses during their deportation to Syria& Lebanon regions of Ottoman State). It is a big tragedy, needless to say.How sad I feel when I think of them.
          Let me try to describe a bit of the background of these years: The Armenian deportation was ordered by at that time's Ottomant government's and Young Turks party leaders: trio of Talat, Jamal and Enver Pashas- who kept the sole power (pacifizing the Sultan, with a kind of coup d'etat). They had led the Ottoman State to a rapid dissolvation by entering into WW-I in 1914 (ref. Goben and Breaslau battleships of Germany bombed Russia's Black Sea cities, with Ottoman Flag...), just after the Balkan Wars in 1912-1913 which they lost all Balkans clearly.
          Just after the WW-I, this trio had fled from the country to abroad, where they were assasinated and killed soon after...If they wouldn't have fled; they would possibly be trialed and punished for the destruction they caused in Ottoman state, more specifically for the deaths of approx. 3 millions of Ottoman citizens (2.5 millions Turks& Kurds and 0,5 million Armenians, in Balkans, North africa, Egypt, Yemen, Dardanelles, Caucausus& East/N.East Anatolia). What a tragedy! I'm filled with grief and sorrow thinking of their losses. I've also lost my grand grand father in Dardanelles in 1915)...
          Honestly speaking, I've also made a swift check in the world modern history; and could not find another State who was attacked by multitude of countries simultaneously at the same time! (1. Dardanelles (1915-1916): France, Great Britain, Anzacs-Australians&New Zealanders, British Indians. 2.Libya-Tripoli (1911):Italy 3.Kut-al-Amara/Iraq (1915-1916):G.Britain, British Indians 4. Baghdad (1917):G.Britain, British Indians, 5.Caucasus Campaign (1914-1918):Russia =>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus_Campaign.....
          May I also kindly ask to review the Original Deportation Law made by Ottoman State and your opinnions on it => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehcir_Law

Best Regards
          Welcome to the forum,

I dont know if your post had an actual conclusion, but I'm trying to figure out where you got your "0.5 Million Armenians" figure from? Search in this forum for the article on Talaat Pasha's "Black Book" which will automatically expand this number to close to 1 million DEPORTED ALONE Armenians, this isn't taking into any consideration those who never made it on the death marches: Those who were massacred en masse, those who were burned alive in their churches and homes, and all the thousands of other methods used by the murderers to rid the land of Armenians...

Comment

Hello Hovik;
            Didn't see this post first,

Again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to your participation in positive, honest and intellectual conversations.

Comment

Hovik,

I will try to keep a good level of discussion on here. Ajitation of those events happened nearly a century ago, does not bring anything new to our discussion, but just can fuel the blind hatred and aggresivity...I acknowledge the death of the many Armenian Ottomans; but do you also acknowledge the death of many Turks during the same years! If you have the free will to open discussion -intellectual but not low-level discussion-
              Please do recognize that also some Armenians clearly formed armed organisations to fight against their own State, on the side of Russia ! (and later on on the side of France). I am sure you have heard about Tashnak-sudiun, Hinchak etc. Havent they burned many Turkish and Kurdish villages into ashes, people inside mosques and homes were burned. I am sure you have already the seen the photo of 'the pile of hundreds of cut-off heads of muslims', neatly arranged and took the photo by Tashnak members...But as said, werent there massacres? yes of course, both sides had done it...But this is never a genocide! Only the related Armenians to the revolts waere affected...Majority of Armenians living in Istanbul was not touched at all...Otherways, would there be a 100 000 armenians living in Istanbul nowadays, in prosperity? And one of the 4 grand Patriarchy of Armeians would stil be left in Istanbul?? Anyway, my intention here again, is not to revive the bloody bad memories of the past. But rather, to try to propose something new and useful for our kids to live in peace...
              But we should see what really happened, without ajitations...

Comment

I will try to keep a good level of discussion on here.

His "good level of discussion" lasted, predictably, for all of two posts.

I guess his heart wasn't in it.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Hovik,

I will try to keep a good level of discussion on here. Ajitation of those events happened nearly a century ago, does not bring anything new to our discussion, but just can fuel the blind hatred and aggresivity...I acknowledge the death of the many Armenian Ottomans; but do you also acknowledge the death of many Turks during the same years! If you have the free will to open discussion -intellectual but not low-level discussion-
                  Please do recognize that also some Armenians clearly formed armed organisations to fight against their own State, on the side of Russia ! (and later on on the side of France). I am sure you have heard about Tashnak-sudiun, Hinchak etc. Havent they burned many Turkish and Kurdish villages into ashes, people inside mosques and homes were burned. I am sure you have already the seen the photo of 'the pile of hundreds of cut-off heads of muslims', neatly arranged and took the photo by Tashnak members...But as said, werent there massacres? yes of course, both sides had done it...But this is never a genocide! Only the related Armenians to the revolts waere affected...Majority of Armenians living in Istanbul was not touched at all...Otherways, would there be a 100 000 armenians living in Istanbul nowadays, in prosperity? And one of the 4 grand Patriarchy of Armeians would stil be left in Istanbul?? Anyway, my intention here again, is not to revive the bloody bad memories of the past. But rather, to try to propose something new and useful for our kids to live in peace...
                  You think 100,000 Armenians living in Turkey is a lot? That land is where our roots are, where we lived for almost 3000 years until 1915. Now there are just 100,000 living in Turkey and 30,000 of them are recent immigrants from Armenia. My great-grandfather fought in the Ottoman Army against Turkish enemies, and so did thousands and thousands of other Armenians. Far more Armenians fought for the Ottoman empire during WWI than they did against it, and almost all of those fighting against it were Russian Armenians fighting for their country. No matter what those Armenians did to Turks, does that give any excuse to exterminate the entire Armenian population of Anatolia? Were women and children Tashnag gangs? Can you consider elderly women and men dangerous rebels? Only the Armenians of Istanbul and Izmir were spared, and many of them were even sent off to their deaths too. In 1918, the entire Armenian population of Turkey became 10% of what it was in 1915. How could this have happened without an intentional plan to exterminate a people? Could the government been so stupid that they actually believed that the hundreds of thousands of women and children it sent into the desert to march for months with no food and water would survive? And why do you ignore the hundreds of written telegraphs between German and Turkish military, diplomats and journalists from that time, which openly state that the intention of the Turkish authorities is to exterminate this ethnic group? Just read the German archives; www.armenocide.de. Why are Turks so afraid to admit what is so obvious to everyone else?

Comment

Hovik,

Oh, you are so wrong. Both sides of my family had to flee their ancestrial homes - where did the Turks flee to? Nowhere, they stayed there and took over the ancient homes of my ancestors. Bones of aunt and uncles I was never to meet are buried somewhere in the deserts my grandparents and mother were ordered to march to. These things happened to my family in Kharpet, Aintab, Diyarbeker and yes, even Istanbul. The whole Armenian town of Kharpet was wiped out. Explain that one? My family did not lie about their experience, neither did all the Armenians in my town whom I grew up with, which were so many in the 1920s they had to name the section where they lived as little Armenia. Funny, there were no little Turkey's around, no, they managed to take over those areas in Turkey, they didn't need to flee to a democratic country in order to practice their religion in peace. Nice try on the propoganda, but common sense always comes out ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X