Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Assassination of Hrant Dink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hrad View Post
    It's funny isn't it . I am trying to put forward an argument and the next thing I see is that some 'true Armenians' probably sons or grandsons of Lebanese Armenians AND Dashnags ,accuse me of not being Armenian ! How very convenient. Why don't you defend YOUR argument. Not all DIASPORAN Armenians are Dashnaks. Not all diasporan Armenians are with YOUR way of thinking.Try and CONVINCE me that ,GENOCIDE recognition by Turkey is far more IMPORTANT than the plight of our fellow Armenians in Turkey or more importantly the future of land-locked Armenia.

I would appreciate it if you as MODERATOR and an Armenian answer me the above SIMPLE question. Or SIMPLER still . Would Armenia (don't forget you are a True Armenian= DASHNAG) be better served if Turkey joined the European Union.

A VERY simple question. I am waiting eagerly for an answer
    You might want to reconsider your tone when you post here. If your intention is to ridicule the affirmation and existence of the Armenian Genocide, you are in the wrong place.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and make the assumption that you are Armenian.

I can only speak for myself, but I am the grandson of Armenians from Marash and Kharberd. My wife is an Armenian who grew up in Istanbul and her parents still live there.

I am not a member of the Dashnaktsutiun but I respect them as I also respect Armenians from Armenia, Lebanon, Iran, Russia, Georgia, Bolsahay, Argentina, U.S., etc. I am also aware that not all Armenians share my opinions and that is their preogative.

That being said, the vast majority of Armenians I meet are also not members of the Dashnaktsutiun, Hunchak Party, AGBU or Ramgavar. In this area, we are in agreement. Nevertheless, I respect their views and all they are doing for Armenia and what they have to offer our people. Genocide recognition is only a fraction of their day to day activities (charities, foundations, education, etc and much of this for Armenia itself) for which they provide valubale time and monetary resources. Genocide Recognition is merely one of the most known activities due to their outspokeness.

In addition, you'll find both the Diocese and Prelacy churches deeply involved in the cause as well as the Evangelical and Armenian Catholic Church.

We sometimes have different methodologies but our the goals are very similar with regards to such things as the welfare of Armenia and Genocide Recognition.

What I can say from traveling all over the world and meeting Armenians in Armenia, W. Europe, South America, the US, and even Turkey is that Genocide recognition is very important to all Armenians and not one Armenian has not had their family affected by it in some fashion. As you are probably aware (or not) the diaspora is a direct result of the Genocide so we are living with a constant reminder being that we are not in our ancestral homeland.

Genocide recognition is security issue and Turkey and pan-turkism is a direct threat that looms over Armenia's very existence.

That being said, one does not need to be a Dashnak to care about the Genocide and justice.

As far as my view regarding Turkey's candidacy for EU membership, I am against it for the following reasons:

1. Turkey refuses to have an open border with Armenia.
    2. Turkey has refused diplomatic relations with Armenia with no preconditions attached
    3. Only a portion of Turkey is actually European culturally, the rest is...well, you know.
    4. Turkey is still controlled by a shadow goverment run by the military leadership
    5. Turkey is undemocratic
    6. Turkey mistreats its minorities
    7. Turkey has mishandled their candidacy through their nationalism and has been trying to make the EU conform to them instead of conforming to the EU.
    8. Turkeys recalcitrance regarding Cyprus

As an Armenian, I would not adovacate Turkey's membership at the moment, especially while they continue to do their best to make life miserable for Armenia. To me that is the most crucial reason why I am not for Turkey in the EU and the reason why I don't see Armenia served by Turkey joining the EU, especially if Turkey does not change to suit membership.

In all fairness my opinion is open-ended. If Turkey makes the necessary changes, then perhaps one day I would agree they should join. Are they ready now? No.

My opinion hardly matters but that of the European populace does and right now they are against Turkey's membership. So if you are looking for an axe to grind, perhaps you should focus your energies towards them.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• A response .........of sorts

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      You might want to reconsider your tone when you post here. If your intention is to ridicule the affirmation and existence of the Armenian Genocide, you are in the wrong place.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and make the assumption that you are Armenian.

I can only speak for myself, but I am the grandson of Armenians from Marash and Kharberd. My wife is an Armenian who grew up in Istanbul and her parents still live there.

I am not a member of the Dashnaktsutiun but I respect them as I also respect Armenians from Armenia, Lebanon, Iran, Russia, Georgia, Bolsahay, Argentina, U.S., etc. I am also aware that not all Armenians share my opinions and that is their preogative.

That being said, the vast majority of Armenians I meet are also not members of the Dashnaktsutiun, Hunchak Party, AGBU or Ramgavar. In this area, we are in agreement. Nevertheless, I respect their views and all they are doing for Armenia and what they have to offer our people. Genocide recognition is only a fraction of their day to day activities (charities, foundations, education, etc and much of this for Armenia itself) for which they provide valubale time and monetary resources. Genocide Recognition is merely one of the most known activities due to their outspokeness.

In addition, you'll find both the Diocese and Prelacy churches deeply involved in the cause as well as the Evangelical and Armenian Catholic Church.

We sometimes have different methodologies but our the goals are very similar with regards to such things as the welfare of Armenia and Genocide Recognition.

What I can say from traveling all over the world and meeting Armenians in Armenia, W. Europe, South America, the US, and even Turkey is that Genocide recognition is very important to all Armenians and not one Armenian has not had their family affected by it in some fashion. As you are probably aware (or not) the diaspora is a direct result of the Genocide so we are living with a constant reminder being that we are not in our ancestral homeland.

Genocide recognition is security issue and Turkey and pan-turkism is a direct threat that looms over Armenia's very existence.

That being said, one does not need to be a Dashnak to care about the Genocide and justice.

As far as my view regarding Turkey's candidacy for EU membership, I am against it for the following reasons:

1. Turkey refuses to have an open border with Armenia.
      2. Turkey has refused diplomatic relations with Armenia with no preconditions attached
      3. Only a portion of Turkey is actually European culturally, the rest is...well, you know.
      4. Turkey is still controlled by a shadow goverment run by the military leadership
      5. Turkey is undemocratic
      6. Turkey mistreats its minorities
      7. Turkey has mishandled their candidacy through their nationalism and has been trying to make the EU conform to them instead of conforming to the EU.
      8. Turkeys recalcitrance regarding Cyprus

As an Armenian, I would not adovacate Turkey's membership at the moment, especially while they continue to do their best to make life miserable for Armenia. To me that is the most crucial reason why I am not for Turkey in the EU and the reason why I don't see Armenia served by Turkey joining the EU, especially if Turkey does not change to suit membership.

In all fairness my opinion is open-ended. If Turkey makes the necessary changes, then perhaps one day I would agree they should join. Are they ready now? No.

My opinion hardly matters but that of the European populace does and right now they are against Turkey's membership. So if you are looking for an axe to grind, perhaps you should focus your energies towards them.
      Thanks for a lesson in patriotism.

a- Do you agree with Patriarch Mesrop Mutafyan who is touring and has been touring Europe for the past 2-3 years advocating Turkey's acceptance into the EU
      b- Do you agree that Turkey's membership of the EU will benefit Armenia-Turkey relationships and improve conditions in Armenia

As an Armenian, to me the above two very important considerations,as they have to do with NOW and affect the lives of thousands of our fellow Armenians in Turkey and the lives of millions of our fellow-Armenians in Armenia. For me it is straightforward. I respect the memory of my grandparants and millions of Armenians who perished . Each year I will join in commemorating April 24 but to me the living must take prededence over the dead. My Turkish friends have no problem with KESIM (Massacres) . They accept it, but they do not accept SOYKIRIM (Genocide).You will not agree with me here, but I will go down Hrant Dink's road and try and change the mindset of the Turk when I see that the time is right . I propose to do it via different means. Sit round a table , and make kef. Become inseparable with them. Eat with them, play tavli with them and cry with them. One day we will be like brothers and when I ask him about the Genocide, he will not have the heart to say NO, "it never happened".

That's MY way. We have to agree to respect each other's different view.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by hrad View Post
          Thanks for a lesson in patriotism.

a- Do you agree with Patriarch Mesrop Mutafyan who is touring and has been touring Europe for the past 2-3 years advocating Turkey's acceptance into the EU
          b- Do you agree that Turkey's membership of the EU will benefit Armenia-Turkey relationships and improve conditions in Armenia

As an Armenian, to me the above two very important considerations,as they have to do with NOW and affect the lives of thousands of our fellow Armenians in Turkey and the lives of millions of our fellow-Armenians in Armenia. For me it is straightforward. I respect the memory of my grandparants and millions of Armenians who perished . Each year I will join in commemorating April 24 but to me the living must take prededence over the dead. My Turkish friends have no problem with KESIM (Massacres) . They accept it, but they do not accept SOYKIRIM (Genocide).You will not agree with me here, but I will go down Hrant Dink's road and try and change the mindset of the Turk when I see that the time is right . I propose to do it via different means. Sit round a table , and make kef. Become inseparable with them. Eat with them, play tavli with them and cry with them. One day we will be like brothers and when I ask him about the Genocide, he will not have the heart to say NO, "it never happened".

That's MY way. We have to agree to respect each other's different view.
          And thank you for your lesson in dhimmitude.

A. No, I do not.

B. As I explained before, not if Turkey is accepted with it's current foreign policy intact, etc.

As for my opinion regarding relations with Turks, I look forward to a day with magnamity amongst our peoples but not necessarily friendship. Armenians believed in frienship once, in 1908 to be exact, and paid the heaviest price for their trust.

Good luck on your journey.
          General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• Hrad, I think your way of reconciliation is fine, and so is Joseph's. Both of you should take the path you believe is best, and both are valid. Perhaps Hrad's way might bear fruit in 2 or 3 hundred years, but probably not. The reason is that it only takes a handful of Turkish nationalist nutjobs to incite the Turkish people into hatred, and it's much easier to fool the Turks into hating us than to love them into loving us back.

The only real way of getting recognition for the Genocide and strengthening the country of Armenia is to form a dialog with as many Turkish people as we can, but without giving up our principals and our struggle for international recognition. I think Hrant Dink was a great man who genuinely believed that the children of Anatolia are capable of getting to the truth by themselves. But I do not believe that he was correct in that assessment. I think many Turks can get there by themselves, but they are up against very powerful forces. That's because the voices of the intellectuals and liberals in Turkey will always be drowned out by the voices of the nationalists. Even now with Hrant Dink's assassination, if you pay attention to what Turks are saying in Turkey, the voices that describe the real situation of the Armenians of Turkey are very few in number. Most of the commentators are simply feeling sorry for the Turkish nation, few admit that this was a hate crime against a specific minority fostered and made possible by the creation of an atmosphere of xenophobia specifically against the Armenian community in Turkey.

The other thing that is imperative is to strengthen Armenia's defense capabilities and to create a defense industry in Armenia post haste. No country in this world understands from compassion or humanism; they only understand interests and power. Until Armenia can show that it can defend itself by itself against any threat, it will always be at risk of annhilation. It is up to all of us, as Armenians, to help Armenia give birth to a legitimate defense industry so that it can protect itself against any threat. Also, I believe it will be easier to make friends with Turkey if Armenia is as strong as Turkey. That may sound like a tall order, but it's possible, and we have to have the imagination and will to make it happen. Everyone knows we have the brains and the work ethic to make it happen; the only thing holding us back is our own pessimism and lack of imagination. We have to be like the early Americans who built this nation from a belief that no obstacle was insurmountable. Just think of this for one second: an Armenian created the MiG fighter jets, yet Armenia does not build them; why is that?

I am totally in favor of forming a lasting peace with Turkey and the Turkish people, and I believe it can happen. But not by putting all of our eggs into the Turkish basket. If we do that, we will be left disappointed once again.

Comment

• The anatomy of a pre-announced murder
              Tuesday, January 23, 2007
              CENGIZ AKTAR
              **At first, clergyman and representative of Sunni Islam, Religious Affairs Directorate head Ali Bardako?lu was very worried that Turkey's “image was damaged.”*The chief of general staff said that the bullet was actually fired at Turkey.*The minister of justice, the architect of Article 301, according to which Hrant Dink was tried, said that the murder was a “well-calculated provocation.” The prime minister clarified the situation with “dirty hands have chosen our country.”
              **Friday night, in a salvo and as if in agreement, members of both the state and politicians said over and over again that Turkey was being attacked via this murder.* Statements from both people and men of importance were textbook maxims originating from the reflex to protect the state. They were strong words that remind us, in our country, that the state needs to be protected before the individual.*As if Dink was guilty of being murdered and thereby of disadvantaging the state…
              **Making-a-big-deal-out-of-nothing specialists repeatedly stated that the murder was a provocation.*It was implied by both members of the state and politicians that the secret aim of this murder was to ease the path for Armenian genocide plans, expected to pass in the U.S. Congress.*In other words, it was implied that the murder was carried out by focal points who will benefit from disadvantaging Turkey – Armenians, French, Americans, Argentineans, Swiss – in short, all those countries that declared it genocide, and all those that did not. But insistently not the Turks.*So, Dink, who received regular life threats from all over Turkey, who was claimed as a target by many internal focal points, and who was the target of much antagonism by the rampant nationalists, was killed by one of the above foreign forces?*Or is it that the worst trick on Turkey is being pulled by Turks again?*Or is it that the Turk's worst enemy is itself?
              **Right after the murder, it was discussed whether or not the cause was negligence.*If there has been such a threat that could so gravely hurt the country, what measures has the state taken to prevent it?*In the aftermath of the controversy as to whether Sabiha Gokcen was Armenian or not, the state has implied, during a meeting at the governor's office that “the nationalist spirits have surged, if you keep talking, they may not be controlled.”*So what has the state done to prevent such a provocation?* Nothing!*So, at the end of the day, it could not protect itself, “the almighty state,” just as it could not protect Dink's life.*As a result of this reasoning, has not the state been negligent in taking care of its well-being, just as it has been in protecting a citizen's life?
              **We have not heard anything from either the members of state or politicians about the gruesome situation the country is in or the reality of increasing ethnic nationalism with a religious theme.*Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Jewish, Assyrian, Alevi, women, disabled, leftist, liberal, homosexual …* Who will protect the right of life for those where insulting anyone except for “Sunni-Muslim-Turkish-man-who thinks like the state” goes unpunished?*It is not clear how society, all minorities, and anyone who thinks dissimilar will be protected against this deep-water wave.*On the contrary, a nightmarish Article 301 rises against all those who think differently.
              **The political sphere has not yet explained how it intends to tame the nationalist greed that has come unhinged during a period of election. No politician has voiced the desire to annul Article 301 with this as the aim. Or is it the political world that entices the lynching mood that we are in? Could it be that the reason for using only themes of protection and national injury in Turkey is to cover the embarrassment, while Germany says of the murder “we are appalled by this murder,” and the United States calls it*“worrying”?
              **Dink was the conscience of realities that were not talked about for centuries.*Even though I became aware of the Armenian issue a long time ago, every time we talked, I learned something new about this big Anatolian drama. Whole Armenian villages that were converted en masse after 1915, tribes that took over Kurdish attributes, Armenian brides, fortunes created with Armenian properties…
              **Writers who talk about the Armenian issue are marginalized, while journalists are slain here.*It is true that the bullet was fired at Turkey.*But it was also fired at a Turkey that was trying to make pace with itself by a Turkey that is sure of its taboos and dogmas. …* Dink said, “We were candidates to turn the hell he is living in, into a heaven.” He is now in heaven himself, without having the opportunity to make this place heavenly.*Turkey without Dink is left as an incomplete Turkey that will have a harder time resolving its problems.

Comment

• Suspect in killing of journalist threatens Turkish novelist Pamuk

The Associated Press
                Wednesday, January 24, 2007

ISTANBUL, Turkey
                A man who police say confessed to inciting the murder of a prominent journalist shouted what appeared to be a threat against Nobel Prize-winning novelist Orhan Pamuk.

The killing has raised fears that Turkey may continue to be a dangerous place for intellectuals who openly express their ideas. Pamuk, like the slain Hrant Dink, spoke about the mass killings of Armenians in the early 20th century — and like him was accused of the crime of "insulting Turkishness."

"Orhan Pamuk, be smart! Be smart!" Yasin Hayal shouted to reporters as he was being brought to an Istanbul courtroom with his hands cuffed behind his back on Wednesday. Police quickly pressed Hayal's head down to silence him and led him away.

Police said Hayal, a nationalist militant who served time in prison for a 2004 bomb attack, confessed to inciting last week's slaying of ethnic Armenian journalist Hrant Dink and to providing a gun and money to the alleged killer.

Hayal allegedly told the killer that Dink, an influential voice in Turkey's Armenian community who angered nationalists by calling the killings of Armenians genocide, was "a traitor to his country who insults Turks."

An unemployed teenage dropout named Ogun Samast confessed to shooting Dink in a four-page statement given to prosecutors Wednesday, and was formally charged with the murder and membership in a criminal gang. He said Hayal gave him money and a picture of the journalist that he carried with him for several months, according to the Anatolia news agency.

Prosecutors on Wednesday also charged Hayal and three other people of inciting the slaying and of belonging to an armed criminal gang at the end of the legal four-day detention period, prosecutor Aykut Cengiz Engin said.

Prosecutors would however, continue investigating possible links to illegal organizations, Engin said. All five were jailed while prosecutors prepare their indictments against the suspects.

"The fact that they have been formally arrested does not mean that a court case will be opened against them immediately," the prosecutor said. "Prosecutors will investigate whether there are other persons or other organizations involved, whether there are any links to any political, ideological or separatist organizations."

Engin identified the three other suspects as: Ahmet Iskender, Ersin Yolcu and Zeynel Abidin Yavuz. Two other suspects were still being questioned, the prosecutor said.

The teenager's lawyer told reporters Wednesday that Samast had no idea the murder of the journalist would elicit such a massive backlash in Turkey, where more than 100,000 Turks joined the funeral procession on Tuesday and protested the killing.

Dink had been brought to trial numerous times for allegedly "insulting Turkishness," a crime under the notorious article 301 of Turkey's penal code.

Pamuk, who won the Nobel Prize in literature last year, also had faced trial in Turkey for his comments on the Armenian killings and had been accused of treason for doing so. His case was thrown out on a technicality.

Dink's murder inspired a massive outpouring of support for liberal values, including freedom of expression, tolerance and reconciliation between Armenians and Turks,

But the killing also pointed to Turkey's continuing problems with extreme nationalism. Most Turks suspect the killing might be linked to ultra-nationalist groups.

Dink himself had said that he was being threatened by elements of the "deep state," a term for a shadowy network inside the Turkish military, intelligence and political circles that is believed to use clandestine methods to defend the state against perceived threats.

Dink's family has called on Turks to look at how they have permitted the creation of an atmosphere that led to his killing.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited the family later on Wednesday in Istanbul and reportedly promised Dink's wife, Rakel, that the investigation would "go even further than what we have already found," the private Dogan news agency reported.

Interior Minister Abdulkadir Aksu said the crime was carried out by "circles who do not want Turkey to develop and reach the level of prosperous and modern countries." He said the attack was being "investigated in great detail."

In the capital, Ankara, about 2,000 people gathered on Wednesday to commemorate the slaying 14 years ago of Ugur Mumcu, a pro-secular investigative journalist, by Islamic militants. Mumcu was investigating suspected links between the drug underworld, right-wing terrorists and the state when a bomb went off under his car on Jan. 24, 1993.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joseph
                  I was hoping that you could provide a source/link to what his daughter said. I suppose not. Because if she did say that, I imagine it would have been picked up by now by several new agencies, especially Turkish ones.

It is my opinion that his murder is related to the Armenian Genocide in that he spoke out against it and was killed for it. The murder shows that the same facsism that existed in 1915 in Turkey is still very much alive today.

Believing in the truth of the genocide does not automatically make one an enemy of the Turks, unless of course it is Turks who believe it in their own minds.

I'm very familiar with his writings and I and other members have posted articles by Hrant Dink and articles regarding him in this website several times.

In no articles, writings, etc. having to do with or penned by Hrant Dink has he ever said anything anti-Turkish. As you yourself say, he was a self-proclaimed patriot and he believed that Genocide recognition was good for Turkey and would lead to increased democratization. He said and wrote on numerous occasions that he loved Turkey. Nor was he against the Armenian diaspora as he had many friends and contacts there. He was against radicalism. Regarding the proposed French resolution I believe it was he who said that though he calls it a genocide, he would go to France and deny it just to prove a point about censorship. Therefore that tells me he believed in the genocide but did not support political resolutions against its denial; he believed in the ends not the means to get there when it cam to genocide recognition.

We will continue our fight in an honest way, the same way we have been doing it for several decades, with facts. Our best resources have come from German, Austro-Hungarian, (both of your wartime allies) British, French, Russian archives and even Turkish ones.
                  Here are some links to Sera Dink's words (Most are in Turkish though)
                  1. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:Towsonu2003 (ctrl+f "sera")
                  2. http://hurarsiv.hurriyet.com.tr/gost...rih=2007-01-19
                  3. http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2007/01/20/gun115.html
                  4. http://www.nethaber.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=9714
                  5. http://www.skyturk.tv/news.jsp?c=1&newsId=62917

And here are some links saying armenia is the one rejects the relations;
                  1. http://www.armenian-genocide-lie.com...-dialogue-call
                  Armenia never accepted joint studies on the genocide claims with historians.. Till yesterday..

For the rest of our discussions; no need to argue anymore, right?
                  After Armenia accepted the diplomatical relations now everything will reveal itself..

Comment

• Originally posted by nkirimli View Post
                    Here are some links to Sera Dink's words (Most are in Turkish though)
                    1. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:Towsonu2003 (ctrl+f "sera")
                    2. http://hurarsiv.hurriyet.com.tr/gost...rih=2007-01-19
                    3. http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2007/01/20/gun115.html
                    4. http://www.nethaber.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=9714
                    5. http://www.skyturk.tv/news.jsp?c=1&newsId=62917

And here are some links saying armenia is the one rejects the relations;
                    1. http://www.armenian-genocide-lie.com...-dialogue-call
                    Armenia never accepted joint studies on the genocide claims with historians.. Till yesterday..

For the rest of our discussions; no need to argue anymore, right?
                    After Armenia accepted the diplomatical relations now everything will reveal itself..

You completely misunderstand the diplomatic relations issue. How can I make this more clear? Armenia has repeatedly called for diplomatic relations with Turkey...since 1993. Armenia has called for these diplomatic relations without any preconditions which is an international norm. This means that whether Turkey and Armenia agrees on anything or not, it would not matter, they would exchange ambassadors which is how nations conduct diplomacy and from there could try to iron out their issues or not. I will give you some examples of some countries that are enemies that have exchanged ambassadors: India and Pakistan have diplomatic relations, N. Korea and S. Korea, U.S. and Venezuela, and so on. Without diplomatic relations, there is no effective communication between states. You will not find one source, not one, that shows Armenia not accepting unconditional diplomatic relations. The call made by Armenia in the aftermath of the funeral was just the latest effort in that direction.

Once again, Turkey has added several pre-conditions to be met before diplomatic relations could begin. The historical commission being one of them. This is where your confusion begins.

As far as your sources go, perhaps you or one of your Turkish compatriots here could be so kind as to translate them. The one source in English you did provide from wikipedia referred to an individual who either interpreted or misinterpreted the words of Sera Dink. I have only seen Rakel Dink's words made public and in the Turkish sources in English such as: Turkish Daily News, Zaman, Sabah, The New Anatolia, Hurriyet, Anatolia Times, I have not seen on reference to anything said by Sera Dink. If indeed she said Turks now have clean blood or something of the like, the agencies would be all over it.

Additionally, it is only the ultra-nationalists who misinterpreted Hrant Dink's words to begin with during his show trial. Hrant Dink clearly was reffering to Armenians having to cleanse their blood of hatred in their relations with Turks. I think about 99% of people understood what he was trying to say even if they disagree with his views on most things. The ultra-nationalists had already decided he was guilty. Hrant Dink was railroaded. When putting blinders on, they know no rival. Are you one of them?

Comment

• Boston Globe Editorial

BOSTON GLOBE EDITORIAL
                      Murder and paranoia in Turkey
                      January 25, 2007

THERE WAS a huge turnout in Istanbul Tuesday for the funeral of the assassinated journalist Hrant Dink. Mourners held up placards saying, "We are all Armenians" and "We are all Hrant Dink." It was a heartening display of support for values that the slain editor of the bilingual paper Agos defended at the cost of his life: free speech, acknowledgment of the 1915 genocide of Armenians in Turkey, and reconciliation between Turks and the 60,000 Armenians who remain in Turkey.

Encouraging as that affirmation of tolerance and pluralism may be, Dink's murder and his funeral illuminate a dangerous conflict that pervades state and society in Turkey.

Speaking at the slain editor's graveside, the Armenian Patriarch Mesrob II said: "We continue to hope that the Turks will recognize that Armenians are Turkish citizens who have been living on this soil for millennia and are neither foreigners nor potential enemies." What is shocking about this plea for understanding is that it needed to be made. The patriarch's hope for Turkish acceptance of Armenians as full citizens who can be loyal to Turkey reflects a deeply rooted confusion about something called Turkish identity.

Dink was killed by a 17-year-old who had been given a gun and told to carry out the murder by an ultra nationalist from his home town who had served 10 months in prison for bombing a McDonald's. The assassin told police he had seen something on the Internet alleging that Dink had said, "Turkish blood is dirty." This was an allusion to the Armenian-Turkish editor's conviction under an odious law that makes it a crime to insult Turkish identity.

For the people who marched in Dink's funeral cortege, there is a clear connection between the nationalist paranoia that produced such a law and the murder of writers and intellectuals who are branded as disloyal. That nationalism has been nourished on political myths that are rooted in the ideology propounded by the founder of the post-Ottoman Turkish state, Kemal Ataturk.

Turkey's military and security services -- what some Turkish liberals call a "deep state" that acts independently of elected governments -- have interpreted Kemalism in a way that defines cultural and linguistic autonomy for Kurds and other minorities as a rebellious challenge to the ideal of Turkishness. The secular ideology derived from Kemalism has been equally intolerant of outward shows of religious piety, prohibiting women and girls from wearing head carves in school.

To gain entry to the European Union, Turkey's political leaders will have to conduct a broad educational campaign, uprooting myths about the mass murder of Armenians and the military's dirty war against the Kurds. Before Turks can take on a new European identity, they will have to redefine what it means to be Turkish.

Comment

Working...
                      X