Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and the Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and the Armenian Genocide

Hello All

"Maybe the most alluring image of love which Nature bears is the borderline between water and dry land, where water circumscribes the earth, and the earth circumscribes the line of water. The horizon, taking off from the shore and stretching far into the distance, connects Man with the awesome endlessness of the universe, and here, right here, one acutely feels the miracle of his fleeting life" Shahen Khachatrian
    I've been reading posts on the "Introductions" thread that relate to the question of religion. It is an important question. I thought to devote a thread to it rather than respond on the Introductions thread and throw it off track.

As you know Armenia is ancient so it is not surprising that some Armenians "feel" the connection with something that is at the essential beginning. In one way or another it is our connection with higher consciousness however you wish to perceive it or call it. It is this feeling we can have at times suggested above by Shahen Khachatrian, curator of the Art Museum in Yeravan.

But as 1.5 Milion suggests, perhaps it is often misunderstood and even worse, intentionally perverted for political gain. From a Christian perspective then it is not so easy to know how to Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God, what is God's. If this were balanced our feeling a part of something higher than ourselves would allow us to share it within a healthy society building on mutual respect. But as we know it is not the case. There is no balance. IMO We don't really know what it means.

The Armenian genocide like all such killings is an objective abomination. They don't make any objective sense. They verify the truth of Plato's Cave analogy. People are interacting in the world as in a cave, in the dark, oblivious of a higher reality, but instead fixated on shadows. These shadows are imagination leading to subjective values and can lead to unnatural acts such as the Armenian Genocide.

We can say that the answer is to get rid of religion but for me this is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Esoteric or inner Christianity is in the soul of the Armenian. It furthers our inner life. Of course when it is abused sometimes in its exoteric or secular expressions, it can create unnecessary difficulties. But the bottom line for me is that it is the way to recognize that we are in Plato's cave and the value of turning to the light so as to put cave life into perspective

If it wasn't for my religious perceptions, I could not know how to psychologically deal with the Armenian Genocide. What does it mean to forgive? How does one understand it from a higher spiritual perspective and what it means that man is a fallen creature having lost that perspective..

As Shahen is suggesting, our lives are really brief when taken from a higher perspective. It is my religion that allows me to feel this perspective. It surely is not a subjective secular value.

So perhaps here we can discuss the value of religion for ourselves and our culture. Perhaps a Turk and an Armenian have certain common ground?

It seems natural that if the Armenian Genocide is an objective abomination in the context of respect for life itself, that we should be more aware of it as a whole. But mankind appears oblivious and doomed to repeat cycles as described in Ecclesiastes 3 Is this the fault of religion or the absence of qualitative understanding of religion natural for its devolution over time normal for the motive of political gain.

Can it be that understanding the objective "essence" of religion can vary between people.

In chess for example, all players know the rules of the game. but how they "understand" the game is verified by their wins and losses. I was last rated years ago as 1942 in USCF. This means that that I could beat the average duffer but would not belong in the same room with Kasparov. We both "know" the rules but he "understands" the rules.

It is the same with religion IMO but of course we cannot verify as we can in chess so people just argue.

I know that some may disagree but I believe that the "heart" of the Armenian needs and feeds on religious concepts even unconsciously. The more its great depth is taken from them in favor of blind secularization, the more they will suffer on the inside. The result may be a feeling of being more modern but at what expense; a nagging inner emptiness in the more sensitive?

The genuine need as I see it is described quite well by Jacob Needleman in the preface to his book: "Lost Christianity where he writes:

"What is needed is either a new understanding of God or a new understanding of Man: an understanding of God that does not insult the scientific mind while offering bread, not a stone, to the deepest hunger of the heart; an understanding of Man that squarely faces the criminal weakness of our moral will while holding out to us the knowledge of how we can strive within ourselves to become the fully human being we were meant to be -- both for ourselves and as instruments of a higher purpose."
    As Armenians we know well the results of criminal weakness. I don't believe the answer is in abandoning religion but rather in rediscovering what was lost before it became a tool of politics as opposed to its natural food for the heart.

"The relative value of the various religions is a very difficult thing to discern. It is almost impossible, perhaps quite impossible. For a religion is only known from inside. Religion is a form of nourishment. It is difficult to appreciate the flavour and food-value of something one has never eaten." Simone Weil
    It is a difficult question and I welcome your input.

OK this is good (for discussion)

At the moment I only want to address Weil's comment at the end - "Religion is a form of nourishment. It is difficult to appreciate the flavour and food-value of something one has never eaten." Simone Weil"

Well ignorance is indeed bliss and children need to be reassured to not fear the darkenss (and the various imagined monsters out there)...perhaps heroin is nirvanna and because I have not experienced it I am really missing out...then again I don't feel hunger, I can see no evidence that to not sup means I will die, I don't feel that I have a void that needs filling in any way...so should I just take heroin because some adict says that "yeah its the best and once you know it you can't live without it"? I say that if you base your life on lies it can't be good. (And Weil isn't saying that it is true - just that it feels a need - like I get when I mash the accelerator peddle down real hard sometimes...)...and what really worries me is that all of these people out there believing all these incompatible and unverifyable things - well anything is possible - and mostly (as we can see) its not good.

Comment

"an understanding of God that does not insult the scientific mind"

Agreed - and this understanding is that there is no god. In fact there is barely even a possibility of god - the probobility of such is so incredibly remote to not even be considered within the realm of possibility. This is what science says.

OH & BTW - the next time I fill my gas tank with Holy water and I can drive my car to work I will credit faith - and not science and engineering - for the functioning of my ride...

Comment

Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a Spirit is manifest in the Laws of the Universe . . ." Einstein
        I see that you are an Atheist which is OK. But that is not to say that it is based on all the input that may be possible for you.

"Religion in so far as it is a source of consolation is a hindrance to true faith: in this sense, atheism is a purification. I have to be atheistic with the part of myself which is not made for God. Among those men in whom the supernatural part has not been awakened, the atheists are right and the believers wrong." Simone Weil
        Who knows? At some point you may switch gears. Simone did. She was born a French Jew and became an Atheist as well a high ranking member of the French Marxist party admired even by Trotsky for her intelligence. Later because of her fierce loyalty for the experience of truth she opened herself up. the results changed her. She became a Christian mystic and even Pope Paul VI was taken by her writngs.

In a way she understood the deep heart that many Armenians have. When I first read the following I knew what she meant yet I know others who simply cannot understand it. I never want to see the ones capable of these feelings denied by dominant secularism. It is these people that create a counter influence during those times of mass madness when a Genocide is possible.

"...It is not for man to seek, or even to believe in God. He has only to refuse to believe in everything that is not God. This refusal does not presuppose belief. It is enough to recognize, what is obvious to any mind, that all the goods of this world, past, present, or future, real or imaginary, are finite and limited and radically incapable of satisfying the desire which burns perpetually with in us for an infinite and perfect good... It is not a matter of self-questioning or searching. A man has only to persist in his refusal, and one day or another God will come to him."
        -- Weil, Simone, ON SCIENCE, NECESSITY, AND THE LOVE OF GOD, edited by Richard Rees, London, Oxford University Press, 1968.- ©
        Shahen would of course know what Simone is saying. I know so because of how he looks at the horizon

Comment

I love it when Christians attempt to (falsely) pass off Einstein as one of their own:

Here I will give you some relevant quotes of Einsteins:

"What you read about my religious convictions (is) a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me that can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever"

"I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinnely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism."

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive."

So if you ever again read Einstein referring to "God" you better think twice about believing he is meaning what you think he is - he uses such a word purely metephorically - and in regards to the impersonal universe and its physical/scientific laws - and nothing more.

Comment

And sorry I'll pass on Simone Weil's heroin thank you - I have no need for it...and any who do are mearly inadequate and wanting - meaning they are diseased and searching for a cure (too bad all they have found is the numbness of narcotic versus the wisdom of acceptance of reality and understanding or at least appreciation of the beauty of nature, existance, reality as we can percieve it and life itself). I and others like me - without this horrible disease of the mind - require no numbing of the senses - require no assurances that reality as we know it is just a false impression and that we will live forever in fairyland. If you require this sort of heroine to sheild you from the pains of the world - well fine - I can only pity you - but as soon as you try to infect me with your disease I will say that enough is enough and show you for the fool.

Comment

Oh and BTW - anyone believing in an "infinite and perfect good" has a very poor understanding of reality. (I don't share her desire for such BTW. I see it much as someone waiting their life for their perfectly concieved mate - and missing out on the beauty that life - their life - has to offer - nutty idealists divorced from reality and nothing more...) Additionally please equate for me the disparity between this "infinite and perfect good" and the realities of the Armenian Genocide. Enough said. Dream on....but I can only pity you.

Comment

As a Christian, God for me is outside of Creation, time and space. So in that sense I do not believe in a personal God. However inside functioning creation is the domain of the Son and various levels of consciousness.

Man is at the lowest level of consciousness. Sustained consciousness exists as a potential for Man Through re-birth, Man has the capacity to regain what was lost and once again consciously connect heaven and earth within his own presence. As we are. "asleep" and in Plato's cave, this is of course impossible. It requires "awakening" which a person must psychologically need and be open to.

Comment

If you require this sort of heroine to sheild you from the pains of the world - well fine - I can only pity you - but as soon as you try to infect me with your disease I will say that enough is enough and show you for the fool.
                  You simply do not understand. Simone didn't hide. She lived her philosophy. Even though her family had money, she knew that her philosophy would only be of value if she lived it. This is why she voluntarily put herself within the presence of those with the most suffering and help as she could. It was precisely her direct knowledge of factory work that she voluntarily indulged in, that she was able to see the essential flaw in Communism.

Marx had said that "religion was the opiate of the masses to which she retorted that "revolution was the opiate of the masses." This of course means that without help from above, there can ever be any real change. Revolutions will eventually settle out into the same circumstance as those that caused the revolution accept with different people in power.

Real change requires the change in oneself which begins with the socratic axiom "Know Thyself" One cannot do this without help from above that allows us to "see"

This help from above is "light" which is why it is so important to Armenians.

You simply underestimate Christianity.

Comment

Peranit vogch illa varbed
                    "All truth passes through three stages:
                    First, it is ridiculed;
                    Second, it is violently opposed; and
                    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                    X