Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Christians targeted for death in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
    - While to people of Istanbul, Izmir and Ankara might be extremely pro secular the rest of the country has strong religion roots.
    Don't fool yourself into thinking that these cities contain mostly wordly/cosmopolitian individuals - this is not the case. While many are educated and western (like) - the Islamists have made incredible gains in the last 10-15 years - even in these urban areas (mayor of Istanbul from Islamic party for instance). One must realize that Ataturk - mostly through force of personality and through his hero status brought about by his victories in the Turkish War of Independence etc - was able to effect things way beyond the norm - however much of this was veneer and not wholly integrated throughout Turkish society - which largely remained as it has always been. The yearnings for Islamic rule (and rejection of liberal ideas from the West) and the thinking by many Turks that they still live in an Islamic society and nation is still quite strong. Much blood will likely be shed (again) for this to be solved...Islamic parties are quite shrewd. They have everyone snookered that they are something they are not - and they are happy to wait and bide their time (any confrontation right now and they would lose - Turkish military is still too strong)...but one day - when the time is right...well you know how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
      Don't fool yourself into thinking that these cities contain mostly wordly/cosmopolitian individuals - this is not the case. While many are educated and western (like) - the Islamists have made incredible gains in the last 10-15 years - even in these urban areas (mayor of Istanbul from Islamic party for instance). One must realize that Ataturk - mostly through force of personality and through his hero status brought about by his victories in the Turkish War of Independence etc - was able to effect things way beyond the norm - however much of this was veneer and not wholly integrated throughout Turkish society - which largely remained as it has always been. The yearnings for Islamic rule (and rejection of liberal ideas from the West) and the thinking by many Turks that they still live in an Islamic society and nation is still quite strong. Much blood will likely be shed (again) for this to be solved...Islamic parties are quite shrewd. They have everyone snookered that they are something they are not - and they are happy to wait and bide their time (any confrontation right now and they would lose - Turkish military is still too strong)...but one day - when the time is right...well you know how it goes...

I wasn't really implying that they were necessarily the most worldly or cosmopolitan, just that they are the secular ones while the rest of the country is more islamic to varying degrees. I basically agree with your description. As an outsider, or at least one with an eye for social issues, you cannot help but notice the two countries trying to somehow coexist and how it may one day explode.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

There are simply two strong glues for the Turkish nation.
        1. Nationalism
        2. Religion

Nationalism holds the sense of brotherhood alive, therefore keeping the nation together against outside world at least . Also lessens the clashing of social classes to a degree.
        Religion holds different muslim ethnic elements together. Sects, orders and thousands variations of Islam is also connected under the identity muslimhood.

Ofcourse this attitude has both its cons and pros.

Comment

Comment

Can I please just say as a Turk, WHAT UTTER BULLxxxx!
            And I've never swore in this forum before so...it must mean something

Comment

1. They tend to be militaristic;
              Yes Sir.

2. They look down upon intellectuals and free thinkers;
              We do not look down on them, they look down on us. The correct sentence would be there is a certain amount of dislike in Turkish population for its "intellectuals".

3. They jealousy guard the status quo;
              It has been a rare sight in Turkey when things change they change for good.

4. They have a group mentality;
              Alas, true.

5. Nationalsim is a religion;
              Ofcourse it is, that is anything you believe in, is a religion.

6. History began in 1923;
              Depends on which part of Turkish nation you refer to

For MHP, it begins with the formation of the first Turkish army in central Asia. (B.C 305 if I remember correctly)

For intellectuals of Turkey it begins with Seikh Sait rebellion or Armenian issue.

For republicans or Kemalists it begins at 1923

For religious part it begins when we became muslims which is at the time of Gazneliler but main stream begins with Seljuk.

7. They respect power and power only;
              Quite wrong, this one. Our love for the army has deeper roots simply.

8. Hospitable (they remind you of this constantly) but angered at the drop of hat;
              It depends. There are three elements that you must not insult. Turkishness, Religion and family. If you avoid these it is very hard to get in trouble (I speak for decent people ofcourse)

9. Prone to conspiracy theories and this is encouraged by the government; to be suspicious of...everything;
              True, our nation simply loves to things to be more then meets the eye.

10. Stubborn to the point of cutting of their nose to spite their face;

11. Extremely insecure about their country and its place in the world;
              There is always war in middle-east. Always strife. I do not think that anyone feels secure in this geography.

12. Are their own worst enemy on many occasions;
              No comment.

13. Loyal to a government/system that continually treats them like a flock of sheep
              Simply tradition. Hurts us a great deal ofcourse

14. Turkeys is really two countries (Istanbul, Izmir, Bursa, Ankara- and then there is the rest of the country)
              No not really. Gaziantep, Adana, Trabzon. Besides you can experience Hakkari, Diyarbakır, Sivas in the out skirts of İstanbul.

Comment

Elendil - very good answers. And are you sure that for #14 you refer only to OUTSIDE Istanbul? lol (this was a primary thrust of my prior post...)

On a more serious side - this issue of Turkish identity is an interesting one. It is very much a comparatively recent thing - though established as it was - on a great deal of blood - that of Turks of course - but many others as well - well we can see what a monster has been created....

Comment

About the monster

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
                  well we can see what a monster has been created....
                  Another taboo of Turkish society (out of religion, nation and family) is "Kurdish question" and PKK. During 90s -and still in a lighter form- media/state/bourgeoisie alliance incited hostility/cheuvinism. I note this as the major factor of creation of the monster.

Self determination right of Kurdish nation is a turnsole paper to test one's sincerity.

What the interesting is, to make the montser bigger, so-called leftists tried much more than the 'traditional right'. Of course, i except and exclude Marxist/revolutionary left/liberal left.

A precious intelectual's, Marxist sociolog Idris Kucukomer's analysis came to my mind, Once he wrote, "In Turkey, left is right and right is left".

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
                    Can I please just say as a Turk, WHAT UTTER BULLxxxx!
                    And I've never swore in this forum before so...it must mean something
                    Don't apologise.
                    You said what I thought, and what I hope others think too.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                      A precious intelectual's, Marxist sociolog Idris Kucukomer's analysis came to my mind, Once he wrote, "In Turkey, left is right and right is left".
                      Mostly, in Turkey, the Right is the Right, and the Left is also the Right.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X