Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Levon Ter Petrossian's candidacy for Arm. Pres.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raffi Hovannisian denies genocide

I know he isn't Ter Petrossian, but it has to do with the election, and so I thought I'd post it here as opposed to start a whole new thread.

Raffi Hovannisian Panders to Turkey

At the Cost of Political Bankruptcy

By APPO JABARIAN
    Executive Publisher/Managing Editor
    USA ARMENIAN LIFE Magazine

[email protected]

August 29, 2007, Armenia’s Heritage Party leader Raffi K. Hovannisian sent a letter of congratulations to the then newly elected Turkish president Abdullah Gul.

He wrote: “The deep divides between our countries, be they of contemporary character or part of the legacy of the Great Armenian Dispossession, must be overcome and resolved in truth, with integrity, and through the partnership of the two new leaders and their fellow citizens of good faith and conscience.”

Soon after the content of the letter was revealed, the highly insulting term “Great Armenian Dispossession” used in lieu of the words “The Armenian Genocide” sent political shockwaves in Armenia and the Diaspora. Heritage Party officials hoped the issue would disappear with the flow of time. But the exact opposite happened.

On February 13, Armen Tsaturyan of “Hayots Ashkhar” (The Armenian World) wrote a scathing commentary against Hovannisian. He stated: “If we set aside all the political major and minor likability and non-likability issues and are guided by cool logic, we can not define Raffi Hovannisian’s action except with one word: ‘Treason.’”

Tsaturyan reported that Hovannisian pandered to Turkey as follows: “It is to be hoped that, during your tenure and that of the next Armenian president to be elected in several months’ time, Turkish-Armenian relations will enter a wholly new phase of reflection, exploration, discovery, and ultimate normalization.”

“It turns out that the son of historian Richard Hovannisian, a notable heir to the victims of the Armenian Genocide, needs further ’studies’ on the issue of the Armenian Genocide. With his outlandish proposal to co-initiate ’studies,’ he is furthering the Turkish obvious goal to establish a joint commission of historians. And that is the shortest route to subjecting the facts of the Armenian genocide to suspicion,” concluded Tsaturyan.

On February 16, according to Noyan Tapan news agency, in an open letter to the Heritage Party, the chairman of the Armenian community of Slovakia Ashot Grigorian blasted Hovannisian: “No doubt, Raffi Hovannisian should have been well aware of the political value of the term ‘genocide,’ whose importance is hard to overestimate today. Turkey is ready to pay dearly if the Armenians agree to replace the term ‘genocide’ with any other word. … In his letter, Hovannisian replaced voluntarily the term ‘genocide’ with another term more acceptable to Turks, thus ruining the work we have done for years and decades. This calls into question today the result of the huge and hard work on passing the resolution on the genocide in the National Assembly of Slovakia. The resolutions passed by the parliaments of about twenty countries have also been deprived of meaning.”

An Armenian activist underlined: “As the saying goes, one should not change horses in mid-stream, Armenians have invested decades of effort to get the words Armenian Genocide recognized. There is no reason to abandon that and start using another word. In fact, the smart thing to do would have been to use all sorts of words like ‘forced deportation’, ‘mass killings’, ‘ethnic cleansing’, ‘dispossession’, but use these words in addition to ‘genocide’, NOT in its place. Also, why is Raffi congratulating Gul? He is neither the President nor the Foreign Minister of Armenia!”

One wonders, what’s going on in the Hovannisian households in Los Angeles and Yerevan?

In early 2006, the grandfather Prof. Richard Hovannisian of UCLA, reportedly told RFE/RL that “in some respects Armenia is now an even less democratic state than Turkey, its historical foe regularly castigated by the West for its poor human and civil rights record.”

On July 30, 2007, on the eve of the passage by U.S. House Foreign Relations Committee of the Armenian Genocide resolution 106, Raffi’s son and the elder Hovannisian’s grandson Garin wrote in the Washington Times: “… Bad congressional resolutions might well begin to sound like good Philip Larkin: ‘Sexual intercourse began /In nineteen sixty-three. …/ Between the end of the Chatterley ban /And the Beatles’ first LP.’” This was not the first time that the second junior Hovannisian has ridiculed and poked fun at his martyred Armenian ancestor’s Cause.

And now, his father, Raffi, all too willingly attempts to jeopardize the Armenian Cause in return of personal political gains.

In 1992, the Raffi Hovannisian the Armenians knew and respected was the steadfast Foreign Minister of Armenia who clearly uttered the words Armenian Genocide in Turkey. He was fired by the then president of Armenia, Mr. Levon Ter Petrossyan ironically for having been honest. Then, Raffi remained in Armenia and pursued the objective to become the next president of Armenia. His efforts were blocked. When that didn’t materialize, his father, Prof. Hovannisian slapped Armenia in the face by preferring Turkey as a “better Democracy” than Armenia. What a change for the worse! Then Raffi’s son Garin “punished” Armenia. So if Turkey is a better democracy than Armenia, how come he is not relocating to what is now called Turkey and pursue his political ambitions there by presenting his candidacy for the presidency of Turkey?

By having pandered to Turkey, Hovannisian overdrew on what was left of his political capital in Armenia-Artsakh and around the world. He effectively antagonized literally millions of Armenians. Every year millions of survivors and their descendants flock to the Armenian Genocide monuments in Yerevan and elsewhere. Hundreds of thousands mobilize in marches condemning Turkey’s continued denial of the Genocide and the wholesale forced occupation of the Armenian lands.

Hovannisian has de facto attempted to torpedo the justice pursued by the clear majority of Armenians. But in fact he torpedoed his own political career

The overwhelming majority of Armenians in the homeland and the Diaspora would prefer to see their beloved republics of Armenia and Artsakh transform their soviet-era corrupt bureaucracies into healthy, fully functioning government bodies. But that desire, along with the urge to seek personal political gain, does not give the Hovannisians or anyone else a green light to make erroneous statements, unfairly belittling, and even worse undermine their fledgling new republics and provide damaging ammunition to the enemy.

Comment

Weekend's arrests and protests in Yerevan

Has anyone any news/views on the widespread arrests over this weekend?

Not much seems to be getting out at the moment.

«Ա1+». Ամենահրատապ եւ անաչառ տեղեկատվությունը Հայաստանից։ Լուրեր,հարցազրույցներ, տեսանյութեր. ուղիղ /online/ հեռարձակում՝ Երեւանից եւ մյուս մարզերից

Comment

Armenian leader warns protesters
        By Matthew Collin
        BBC News, Yerevan

Opposition protesters in Yerevan
        Protests have continued since Tuesday's elections
        The outgoing President of Armenia, Robert Kocharian, has threatened a "firm response" to what he called opposition attempts to seize power.

Opposition supporters have been protesting around the clock about the results of Tuesday's presidential elections which they say were rigged.

According to official results, Armenia's current Prime Minister, Serge Sarkisian, was elected president.

International observers have judged the poll to be generally democratic.

Official results give Mr Sarkisian 53% of the vote, with Mr Ter-Petrosian his nearest rival on 21.5%.

Levon Ter-Petrosian
        Official results show that Ter-Petrosian lost heavily

On Saturday around 50,000 people held the biggest demonstration against the election result so far despite having no official permission to do so.

The demonstrators have set up a tent camp in Yerevan's Freedom Square, they say they will stay there until the authorities back down.

Also on Saturday, thousands of Armenian women stood face to face with a line of riot police chanting the name of the opposition leader they believe was the real winner of this week's elections, Levon Ter-Petrosian.

The women had marched through the streets of the capital bringing traffic to a standstill.

"The people wont remain silent about this authoritarian regime," one of the women said, "we believe they have no right to be in power".

The outgoing President, Robert Kocharian, says he views actions like these as an attempt to seize power.

He says the government's response would be decisive and firm to maintain stability and order.

But an opposition spokesman dismissed this warning and said the protests would continue until the election results are overturned.

He said any use of force would be catastrophic for the government.

Comment

I say we execute Levon!
          That piece of xxxx has managed to fool some of our naive people again.. seems like they didn't learn their lesson the first time around.

btw I never read hetq.. I've found many many biased articles in it so I don't read it anymore.

Comment

He didn't really deny it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tongue View Post
              I say we execute Levon!
              That piece of xxxx has managed to fool some of our naive people again.. seems like they didn't learn their lesson the first time around.

btw I never read hetq.. I've found many many biased articles in it so I don't read it anymore.
              Levon is such a hypocrite. The fact that they had this demonstration planned well before the election just goes to show you the lengths he would go to discredit Armenian.

I seem to remember Levon's henchman/Interior Minister Vano Siradeghyan - no wanted by Interpol for murder, extortion, etc- made this statement in 1996;

"Even if Levon receives no votes, I will make sure he remains president"
              General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                Levon is such a hypocrite. The fact that they had this demonstration planned well before the election just goes to show you the lengths he would go to discredit Armenian.

I seem to remember Levon's henchman/Interior Minister Vano Siradeghyan - no wanted by Interpol for murder, extortion, etc- made this statement in 1996;

"Even if Levon receives no votes, I will make sure he remains president"
                Oskanian: defeated side should accept election outcomes
                25.02.2008 14:24 GMT+04:00
                /PanARMENIAN.Net/ “I could not imagine such shocks are possible in our republic. But unfortunately, there are people who chose hatred and revenge,” Armenian Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian said in Yerevan today.

“Those who gathered at Liberty Square do not want to understand that out country faces global challenges. The election is over. The CEC has officially announced the winner. I think that the defeated should accept this fact and reach out for reconciliation,” the Minister said.

He said the Armenian people should unite to prevent genocidal acts like those which took place in Sumgayit in February 1998. “The domestic tensions will affect the country’s international image and the Karabakh conflict settlement. I rate conduction of rallies as manifestation of democracy but there is a limit to everything. There were seven days to re-count the votes and express discontent with the defeat,” he said.

“Civilized methods, specifically appeal to the Constitutional Court, will be admitted by the international community and will be a positive factor for the Armenian democracy. I think that the nation will comprehend everything and will put an end to rallies, thus directing the opposition to the right track,” the Minister said.

The opposition initiated a rally on February 20 to protest the outcomes of the presidential election won by Prime Minister Serzh Sargsyan with 52,82 per cent of votes. Ex-President Levon Ter-Petrosyan received 21,5 per cent of votes.
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Working...
                X