Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Denial of AG by Dr. Ariel Barkan - Univ. of Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denial of AG by Dr. Ariel Barkan - Univ. of Michigan

I have read input by members regularly and I start to post. This is troubling to read that Armenian genocide is denied by some people. It is very disturbing to read that it is denied by some high profile people like doctors! This cannot be accepted. I came across a site where a medical doctor named Ariel Barkan, denies it in a very harsh way. This was so disturbing that I chose to share this with members of this forum.

Read his message yourself:

(Armenian Tale of Turkish Genocide Simply Untrue
    I am an Israeli Jew, originally from the former Soviet Union, and have no dog in the Turkish-Armenian fight.

Nevertheless, the history of Armenian-Turkish relations is a difficult and complex one, and Jonathan Tobin did it a disservice when he wrote to support the Armenian claim of genocide (A Matter of Opinion: "Choosing Allies Over Principles," April 26).

During World War I, the nationalist Armenian movement was egged on by Czarist Russia to revolt against the Turks. This was designed to protect the flank of the Russian Empire from an attack by Germany's ally Turkey.

The Armenians obliged and unleashed an unprecedented terrorist campaign against ethnic Turks that resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians.

The Ottoman Turks ordered the Armenians ousted from the affected areas. In the process, many were killed by the Kurdish gangs, many died of infections and starvation -- although it should be stated that Turks were dying like flies as well, and from the same causes.

But there was no genocide, because of the lack of intent or organized action on the part of the Turkish government to exterminate Armenians as such. The "ethnic cleansing" was limited to Eastern Anatolia. No Armenian in Istanbul was expelled or harmed.

The Armenians want to preserve the status of victims, not unlike the Palestinians. For years, Armenian terrorists killed Turks all over Europe, sent letter bombs, and set explosives in Turkish cultural centers.
    Ariel Barkan, M.D.
    Ann Arbor, Mich. )

from this site

After googling his name, I found that this man is a highly profiled doctor and this makes it even more disturbing:

How can an educated man deny the Armenian genocide? Read his message and you will find more about him. We need to find more people like this man who as highly-profiled people can do lot of damage to the Armenian cause. This is very outrageous. His speech on medical issue, obviously an educated man.

Artusian

Originally posted by artusian1 View Post
    I have read input by members regularly and I start to post. This is troubling to read that Armenian genocide is denied by some people. It is very disturbing to read that it is denied by some high profile people like doctors! This cannot be accepted. I came across a site where a medical doctor named Ariel Barkan, denies it in a very harsh way. This was so disturbing that I chose to share this with members of this forum.

Read his message yourself:

(Armenian Tale of Turkish Genocide Simply Untrue
    I am an Israeli Jew, originally from the former Soviet Union, and have no dog in the Turkish-Armenian fight.

Nevertheless, the history of Armenian-Turkish relations is a difficult and complex one, and Jonathan Tobin did it a disservice when he wrote to support the Armenian claim of genocide (A Matter of Opinion: "Choosing Allies Over Principles," April 26).

During World War I, the nationalist Armenian movement was egged on by Czarist Russia to revolt against the Turks. This was designed to protect the flank of the Russian Empire from an attack by Germany's ally Turkey.

The Armenians obliged and unleashed an unprecedented terrorist campaign against ethnic Turks that resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians.

The Ottoman Turks ordered the Armenians ousted from the affected areas. In the process, many were killed by the Kurdish gangs, many died of infections and starvation -- although it should be stated that Turks were dying like flies as well, and from the same causes.

But there was no genocide, because of the lack of intent or organized action on the part of the Turkish government to exterminate Armenians as such. The "ethnic cleansing" was limited to Eastern Anatolia. No Armenian in Istanbul was expelled or harmed.

The Armenians want to preserve the status of victims, not unlike the Palestinians. For years, Armenian terrorists killed Turks all over Europe, sent letter bombs, and set explosives in Turkish cultural centers.
    Ariel Barkan, M.D.
    Ann Arbor, Mich. )

from this site

After googling his name, I found that this man is a highly profiled doctor and this makes it even more disturbing:

How can an educated man deny the Armenian genocide? Read his message and you will find more about him. We need to find more people like this man who as highly-profiled people can do lot of damage to the Armenian cause. This is very outrageous. His speech on medical issue, obviously an educated man.

Artusian
    Welcome to the forum! Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, etc.

Ok, now to this topic you've started.

My first thought is, it's sad that at an institution such as University of Michigan such individuals are employed. This being especially disturbing when U of M is a home to the Armenian Research Center, and the Armenian Workshop. Maybe Dr. Barkan should go speak with our Turkish friends at the workshop if he doubts the AG.

Also interesting is that in watching the video you linked to I noted 2 things worth mentioning.

1: His field of specialty is medicine with focuses on cancer. He works for the University of Michigan. The world-renowned Cancer and Geriatric Centers at the University of Michigan Medical Center were donated by the Mardigian Foundation - named after Armenian Philanthropist Edward Mardigian - who personally suffered loss of family during the Armenian Genocide.

2: In the beginning of this lecture (first 20 seconds or so) he mentions a colleague in the audience named "John Bilezikian". In Google I learned this man is an Armenian who is closely associated w/ Columbia University, and is active in the Armenian Community - has even donated to Fund for Armenian Relief (see this article). This makes me wonder if he's a closet denialist or open about it. If he's in the closet, we should be sure to make sure his colleagues know about his ugly denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik View Post
      Welcome to the forum! Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, etc.

Ok, now to this topic you've started.

My first thought is, it's sad that at an institution such as University of Michigan such individuals are employed. This being especially disturbing when U of M is a home to the Armenian Research Center, and the Armenian Workshop. Maybe Dr. Barkan should go speak with our Turkish friends at the workshop if he doubts the AG.

Also interesting is that in watching the video you linked to I noted 2 things worth mentioning.

1: His field of specialty is medicine with focuses on cancer. He works for the University of Michigan. The world-renowned Cancer and Geriatric Centers at the University of Michigan Medical Center were donated by the Mardigian Foundation - named after Armenian Philanthropist Edward Mardigian - who personally suffered loss of family during the Armenian Genocide.

2: In the beginning of this lecture (first 20 seconds or so) he mentions a colleague in the audience named "John Bilezikian". In Google I learned this man is an Armenian who is closely associated w/ Columbia University, and is active in the Armenian Community - has even donated to Fund for Armenian Relief (see this article). This makes me wonder if he's a closet denialist or open about it. If he's in the closet, we should be sure to make sure his colleagues know about his ugly denial.
      Hovick,

Thanks very much. I have always felt sympathy for Armenian cause and had lots of Armenian friends in France and the USA. I work in marketing/promotion field, among others for medical product. I was informed and came to this statement by this man, who seems to be very known in mediacl circle, and this was so hateful that I decided to post.
      What you found about him is very revealing. How can he do that and work for a medical center financed by Armenians and insult Armenians like that. I am sure if he had insulted another minority he will be in many trouble. Why does he dare to do this? Especially since he is in medical field.

Artusian

Comment

Originally posted by artusian1 View Post

How can an educated man deny the Armenian genocide?
        Having an education does not preclude someone from being a self-seeking bastard. And the fact of being a self-seeking bastard does not preclude the said bastard from also having medical skills.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

And Steph will now be on at me for using the word bastard three (sorry this now makes it four) times!
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
            And Steph will now be on at me for using the word bastard three (sorry this now makes it four) times!
            Happy New Year Bell !

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              Having an education does not preclude someone from being a self-seeking bastard. And the fact of being a self-seeking bastard does not preclude the said bastard from also having medical skills.
              You are absolutely right

Artusian

Comment

Altrusian,

I was just curious, what's your origin?

Comment

Hovik,

Sorry I misunderstood I am French, my best friends are/were Armenians. From my mother side we have also Armenian married to our family.

Artusian

Comment

Someone ought to bring this to the attention of both the Manoogian Foundations (there are several) and the Mardigian Foundation. I don't know how long this joker would keep his job if one or both of those foundations contacted the University and pointed out that the people responsible for founding those foundations were survivors of the Armenian Genocide, which this arsehole denies in such an ugly way.

Comment

Working...
                    X