Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian genocide from a Turk's point of view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    You reproduced here a falsehood (your claim that the population exchange was part of the Lausanne treaty) that you had read somewhere else: to reproduce something is to propagate it.
    Population Exchange Convention wasnot a part of Lausanne Treaty but signed in Lausanne Peace Conference, at Lausanne city, in 30th January 1923.

Article 19

The present Convention shall have the same force and effect as between the High Contracting Parties as if it formed part of the Treaty of Peace to be concluded with Turkey. It shall come into force immediately after the ratification of the said Treaty by the two High Contracting Parties.

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
      Population Exchange Convention wasnot a part of Lausanne Treaty but signed in Lausanne Peace Conference, at Lausanne city, in 30th January 1923.

Article 19

The present Convention shall have the same force and effect as between the High Contracting Parties as if it formed part of the Treaty of Peace to be concluded with Turkey. It shall come into force immediately after the ratification of the said Treaty by the two High Contracting Parties.
      The convention was not "signed at the Lausanne Peace Conference" - it was unconnected to the actual conference but was signed in Lausanne because that was where those representing Greece and Turkey were at the time. The text of the Lausanne Treaty specifically says that the population exchange was a result of a separate agreement/convention between Greece and Turkey. Quote from article 119 "The exchange of prisoners of war and interned civilians detained by Greece and Turkey respectively forms the subject of a separate agreement between those Powers signed at Lausanne on the 30th January, 1923", and from article 142 "the separate Convention concluded on the 30th January, 1923, between Greece and Turkey".
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
        The convention was not "signed at the Lausanne Peace Conference" - it was unconnected to the actual conference but was signed in Lausanne because that was where those representing Greece and Turkey were at the time. The text of the Lausanne Treaty specifically says that the population exchange was a result of a separate agreement/convention between Greece and Turkey. Quote from article 119 "The exchange of prisoners of war and interned civilians detained by Greece and Turkey respectively forms the subject of a separate agreement between those Powers signed at Lausanne on the 30th January, 1923", and from article 142 "the separate Convention concluded on the 30th January, 1923, between Greece and Turkey".
        BTW, it is important to stress this distinction between the Population Exchange Agreement and the Lausanne Treaty because Turkey uses an assumed connection to avoid accusations of committing genocide againt the Greeks of Anatolia. "It was actually the victorious allies, through their Lausanne treaty, who decided on the population expulsions" is the line Turkish sources peddle. In reality, Turkey, and Turkey alone, had decided to get rid of all Greeks in Anatolia months earlier.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          BTW, it is important to stress this distinction between the Population Exchange Agreement and the Lausanne Treaty because Turkey uses an assumed connection to avoid accusations of committing genocide againt the Greeks of Anatolia. "It was actually the victorious allies, through their Lausanne treaty, who decided on the population expulsions" is the line Turkish sources peddle. In reality, Turkey, and Turkey alone, had decided to get rid of all Greeks in Anatolia months earlier.
          And, if this newspaper article is true, it was also Turkey who suggested expelling all Turks from Greece! See http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...B4678389639EDE
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

If you were careful enough and didnt have prejudice, you could understand that i didnt repeat official Turkish State 'thesis'. As indicted below, you could see i seperate the problem into three stages: 1912 Greek expulsion (Turkish Republic doesnt exist at that time), 1914-1923 Greek Genocide and Population Exchange.

The only mistake i did is to remember wrong and this doesnot affect the principle of the subject.

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post

Lal, i donot mention 1923-24 Population Exchange in the frame of Lausanne Treaty between Greece and Turkey. What i ask is, when nothing happened, in 1912-13, why Ittihadists exile West Anatolian Greek population by force which is known as "Rum Kaçırtması" in Turkey (Also Greek Genocide in WWI can be stated here but i skip it for now).

Important key figure of this ethnical cleansing is a staff continuity. The Ittihadist staff had experience in 1912 Greek exile and they used that experience in Armenian Genocide.

Comment

Interesting

THE COMING STORM WITH WASHINGTON
              by Omer Taspinar

Today's Zaman
              Dec 15 2008
              Turkey

Last year, shortly after the US Congress decided at the last minute
              not to push forward with the Armenian genocide recognition I wrote
              in this column that this was a "pyrrhic victory" for Turkey. There
              was indeed no reason to celebrate.

Of course, I had no idea that the next US president would be a firm
              supporter of recognizing the genocide. Instead, my gloomy article had
              much more to do with the fact no one in Washington - except those with
              a vested financial or political interest to the Turkish government -
              believed Turkey's side of the story. Whether "the events of 1915"
              amounted to "genocide" was not even debated in America.

So why didn't the US Congress pass the resolution? Charles Krauthammer,
              a Washington columnist, summarized it best last year in his Washington
              Post column. With characteristic poignancy, he wrote: "There are
              three relevant questions concerning the Armenian genocide. (a) Did it
              happen? (b) Should the House of Representatives be expressing itself
              on this now? (c) Was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's determination
              to bring this to a vote, knowing that it risked provoking Turkey
              into withdrawing crucial assistance to American soldiers in Iraq,
              a conscious or unconscious attempt to sabotage the US war effort?"

And here is how Krauthammer answered these questions: "(a) Yes,
              unequivocally. (b) No, unequivocally. (c) God only knows." He went on:
              "That between 1 million and 1.5 million Armenians were brutally and
              systematically massacred starting in 1915 in a deliberate genocidal
              campaign is a matter of simple historical record. If you really want
              to deepen and broaden awareness of that historical record, you should
              support the establishment of the Armenian Genocide Museum and Memorial
              in Washington. But to pass a declarative resolution in the House of
              Representatives in the middle of a war in which we are inordinately
              dependent on Turkey would be the height of irresponsibility."

Now do you understand why last year was a pyrrhic victory? The reason
              Ankara won the battle was because important newspapers such as The
              Washington Post and The New York Times picked up the "genocide"
              story and humiliated the House of Representatives with columns and
              editorials such as the one written by Krauthammer. Yet, this was not
              a sight any believer in Turkey's version enjoyed. Yes, these articles
              opposed the Armenian resolution. But none of them believed Turkey's
              version of history about "the events of 1915."

Turkey won an important battle but ended up losing the war. Just like
              Krauthammer's, most of these articles argued that what happened in
              1915 was genocide. But Turkey was geo-strategically too important an
              ally to offend in the middle of mayhem in the Middle East. In other
              words, the opposition to the genocide resolution had nothing to do
              with the sudden discovery of new historical facts proving correct the
              Turkish version of history. The discussion was only about Turkey's
              geo-strategic importance and bad timing.

This year we will probably witness the same charade with more
              intensity. President-elect Barack Obama, Vice President-elect Joe
              Biden, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Secretary of State Hillary
              Clinton and, of course, a large majority of Congress are all in favour
              of Armenian genocide recognition. The first critical test will be the
              US president's annual letter of April 24, which traditionally defines
              what happened to Ottoman Armenians as "massacres." Will this year's
              letter refer to "genocide"?

This first and very critical test in Turkish-American relations
              comes within the early months of the Obama administration. There
              are only four months between the inauguration in late January and
              April 24. And Obama's presidential agenda will be overloaded with the
              global financial crisis and all the very crucial foreign policy issues,
              ranging from Iraq to Afghanistan and Iran to a possible India-Pakistan
              war. Relations with Turkey will not be an urgent issue.

In such a busy agenda, it is also highly unlikely that the American
              media will pick up the story of a potential crisis with Turkey. This is
              why even a pyrrhic victory may not be in the cards this time. There is
              still a chance Obama will opt for realism in relations with Turkey. But
              this means he will have to break his campaign promises. Surely, this
              will not be a first for a politician. But what if Obama is really
              committed to "change"? Soon, perhaps too soon, we will know.
              General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                But what if Obama is really
                committed to "change"? Soon, perhaps too soon, we will know.
                No comments...
                I have been there... I have seen ruins of St. Karapet!

Comment

I am a Turkish but its worry to say this our nation is full of racists fascist very very much

Comment

Originally posted by UrTurkishFriend View Post
                    I am a Turkish but its worry to say this our nation is full of racists fascist very very much
                    As long as we know there are good Turks like yourself and your family we will never loose hope that one day we as people will raise our glasses together in a toast to our reconciliation and our newfound friendship.

Until that glorious day sir, I salute you.

Comment

• Originally posted by UrTurkishFriend View Post
                      It is painful to watch because I really do fear for the liberals who are showing bravery and fortitude. It may take a few more decades but slowly things are changing. Ever over-reaction by the ultra-nationalists/facists is adding to the numbers of free-thinkers.
                      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X