Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hayeren Khosaktsutsyun (Armenian Conversation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting but I think you write better using English letters. Don't worry, you teach me Nahutil and I'll teach you Armenian, hahaha.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Okay

I seriously hope I said nothing humiliating lol, for interest sake what did I say, because I know what I meant to say, dunno if I did it right

Nahuatl (pronounced Na-wa-tl) isn't as complex to learn as people might think, the only limitation is the Latin script as we have long vowels and sounds not in Spanish/Latin script (Sh, Ch, Ts, Tz and Tl) and very complex diphtongs take for instance our last true leader's name Cuauhtehmoc, pronounced koo-ow-tay-mok (meaning Descending Eagle) or one of our great poets Nezahualcoyotl Nez-za-wah-l-co-yo-tl (Dire Coyote). Once again its a between it wasn't translated in the Armenian alphabet as all the sounds we have have letters in Mesrobian with the exception of the Tl sound. Another alphabet that works for translating Nahuatl is cherokee http://www.native-languages.org/cherokee_alphabet.htm, however multiple sounds aren't represented, the Mayans used to have a phonetic alphabet but it got destroyed when the conquistadors came.

Back to the Armenian discussian, can anyone post the prepositions found in Armenian, that could be a huge help, also if anyone can maybe check out the freeland/freedict website and tell me what they think of the dictionary there (the one I used, probably incorrectly ).I found a site with Armenian Alphabetic information just now http://www.lingvozone.com/Armenian

If I am correct, you say the subject, then object then the action, so if someone says they want coffe, in English it is "I want coffee", in Armenian it would be "Yes surtz uzyel"/"I coffee want" (at least thats what my dictionary says is the words for coffee and want, dunno if its acurate as it is a free dictionary.

Comment

Thanks for teaching me a bit of Nahutil, it's interesting. I love ancient languages, museums, everything old. I can enter a museum and never come out. Thanks for sharing. Now, let me share my countries language with you. I won't go deep into grammar but I'll give you a few examples and a fair idea.

First, I beg you to only use the dictionaries to learn new words, not grammar and everything. You'll get mixed up, I can already see that.

Ok, your coffee example, I’ll start with that. It’s like this.

“Yes surch em uzum (I want coffee.)” or “Yes surch ktsankanam (or ktsankanai) (I would like some coffee).”

KtsankanAM means I want and KtsankanAI means I would like. A few examples are …

1. Yes tsankatsa gnal tun = I (yes) wanted (tsankatsa) to go (gnal, to go is one word in Armenian) home (tun).
        2. Tsankanumes gnal im tun? = Do you want (Tsankanumes) to go to (gnal) my house (im tun)?

AM, A, E, AS, and YE is present tense, AIN and AI is past tense but AI be used as present tense as well sometimes. There are a few more, it’s very simple though, don’t think there is LOT’S to it. Armenian is a very fun language. Sometimes, these different “tenses” are combined to make complete words without the use of any other letters. For example ASA (AS-A) = Tell me

Ok, next comes a few sentences, let’s see if you can make it out properly in English. What I want you to do is translate each part of it, word by word like I did above. Look especially at how the words are placed one after another.

1. Inch e ko anunu?
        2. Vortegh es aprum?
        3. Kani hat khagh unes?
        4. Surchu saru te tak kuzek?
        5. Im seru gnats yev yes hima menak aprumem im tanu, korats im mutkeri metch.

Comment

Going to reply to your thread Saco, see how bad I do it lol.

1, Inch e ko anunu = What (Inch) is (e) your (ko) name (anunu).
          ինչ ե կո անունու
          2. Vortegh es aprum = Where (Vortegh) do you live (aprum) Վորտեղ ես ապրում
          3. Kani hat khagh unes = կանի հատ կհաղ ունես
          4. Surchu saru te tak kuzek = սուրչու սարու տե տակ կուզեկ
          5. m seru gnats yev yes hima menak aprumem im tanu, korats im mutkeri metch.
          մ սերու գնատս յեվ յես հիմա մենակ ապրումեմ իմ տանու, կորատս իմ մուտկերի մետչ

Pathetic yes, priceless, probably. However this will change soon, check what I found :

Original shareware library on the Internet, browse and download shareware, free to try and free programs for windows, macintosh, linux, mobile, pda.

Comment

Going to reply to your thread Saco, see how bad I do it lol.

1, Inch e ko anunu = What (Inch) is (e) your (ko) name (anunu).
            ինչ ե կո անունու

Good, except you typed կո which is wrong. Its քո. And անունու is wrong, its անունը.

2. Vortegh es aprum = Where (Vortegh) do you live (aprum) Վորտեղ ես ապրում

This was perfect. Remember that our periods are : not . Place periods at the end of every sentence from now on. Also, you forgot to translate es in English. It’s very important.

3. Kani hat khagh unes = կանի հատ կհաղ ունես

Where’s the English translation, bro? If you didn’t know, here it is, how many (kani hat) games (khagh) do you have? (unes). In Armenian, let me remind, you never place a question mark at the end of a sentence like in English. This is our question mark ` and it’s placed on top of certain letters. You may have heard Armenians talk. When they ask a question, their tone of voice changes a bit. They sort of say a certain word in a different way. In that word, the point where you change your voice is marked by a question mark. Quick and dirty, lol, couldn’t explain it any better at the moment.

Khagh is spelled խաղ, not կհաղ. I like the way you think though, haha.

4. Surchu saru te tak kuzek = սուրչու սարու տե տակ կուզեկ

Սուրճը սառը թե տաք կուզեք = Would you like the coffee cold or hot?

5. m seru gnats yev yes hima menak aprumem im tanu, korats im mutkeri metch.
            մ սերու գնատս յեվ յես հիմա մենակ ապրումեմ իմ տանու, կորատս իմ մուտկերի մետչ

First off bro, you copied the question wrong. It’s IM not M. In English its, “My love went away and now I live alone at home, lost in my thoughts.” Pretty dramatic, lol. Anyways, here’s how you type it in Armenian.

Իմ սերը գնաց և ես հիմա մենակ ապրում եմ իմ տանը, կորած իմ մթքերի մեջ:

Some words in Armenian sound the same but are written differently. Like for example in the case of մեջ. It sounds exactly like մեչ but is written մեջ. Just something to get you along. It’s not difficult, you just have to get used to it. Good job so far and great find, that site seems like it will help you a lot. Good luck but before you go, I want you to do something. Write me a paragraph about yourself in Armenian. I'll fix up your mistakes and I think you'll be able to talk better Armenian.

Comment

Khagh is spelled խաղ, not կհաղ. I like the way you think though, haha.

Er...what did I say bro lol?

Comment

Nothing bad, nothing bad, lol, don't worry. I remember how I used to say certain words in Spanish sometimes and the kids used to laugh at me at first. You didn't say anything wrong though, you just used two letters instead of one. Instead of Կհ, use խ. It's like Կ and հ combined. In Jewish, there is a word lakhayam, you might know. Well the kh sound in lakhayam is what the Armenian letter խ sounds like.

Comment

So is it like the Spanish J almost?

I got a funny story to tell regarding Spanish, there was this chick from the US (for real happened) that came to Mexico and she was to speak at a public hearing, in anyway
                  she had very little knowledge of the Spanish Language and this dude introduced her,
                  all the good stuff she did and her awards. So she turns around and goes "Yo soy embarazada y el esta culpable", immediately the entire audience his shocked, this dude is panicking and his wife is looking at him like she wants beat the hell out of him.

This chick is visibly confused and she goes in the back asks what she did wrong "I only wanted to say I am embarrased", the dude in the back start laughing and says "Thats great senora, but embarazada means pregnant". She corrected the issue to the relief of the man and his wife lol.

Please tell me I did nothing like that lol

Comment

Yeah, it's kinda like the J in Spanish. So try pronouncing the words that use the KH sound once again, you'll see the difference, how clear you pronounce your words.

Considering your American chick, that was funny, lol. In Rush Hour 2, you remember what Carter said to the Chinese in the club? He thought he said something serious but then it turned out that he just ordered all the men to take their samuari swords and shave their butts. Lol. You didn't say anything wrong, your way of substituting letters was simply interesting. Nice one.

Remember to write that short paragraph about yourself bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                      In Jewish, there is a word lakhayam, you might know. Well the kh sound in lakhayam is what the Armenian letter խ sounds like.
                      Kartsum em vor uzum es aselu "Hebrew", "Jewish" lezu chka...

Comment

Working...
                      X