Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Parallel Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Roads

Hi again, everyone. I got another bright idea recently which may help us get together as a community. The forums aren't down, there just isn't much to talk about. This thread is called parallel roads because Turkey and Armenia have so much in common yet they sometimes forget. This thread's aim is to change that.

I've realized that one of our MAIN problems as Armenians and Turks (those that try to atleast believe us) is that we talk endlessly about only one thing, only one, the Genocide. What we must do is talk about other things as well which I don't really see. Joseph, I beg you to allow this thread to stay active and I'm sure it will help a lot. I would love it if you set one rule in this thread, we are never to talk of the Genocide but rather about each other which many of us haven't done in a long time or probably at all. We live by the past, that is extremely wrong, and I can understand why. Mainly because we don't understand each other or non-believers walk in. Let us in this thread though live in the present but respect, accept, and stand firm when we talk of the past, not LIVE and BREATH by it. That is what has become a "system" already for many, a motto. We think so much over the past alone that the present passes by. Let's try to do something different for once.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

OK, here goes.

Hi, my name is Sarkis Buniatyan and I live in Yerevan, Armenia, but you can just call my Saco .

I have a few questions, how many TV and Radio channels are there in Turkey?
    What is your favorite Turkish movie, old and new?
    What do you do in your spare time in Turkey (not on the net)?
    What is your favorite Turkish recipe?
    What Turkish events do you love the most in Turkey?
    What Armenian events do you like the most?

Pedro Jan and everyone else that doesn't live in Turkey or isn't a Turk, please answer the same questions according to where you live and where your from. Here's how it works, you answer the questions and then ask one question that you would like to a member from a certain country. So if you want to ask me and Arda for example a question, you can only ask two questions because one is related to Armenian and the other to Turkey. I get to ask many questions in this post alone because I started the thread . The questions can be answered by anyone so it's not like a question is directed to a specific person, rather the questions are directed to a certain country and it's citizens who are our members in the forums.

Ask only one question to each country, don't make it personal ("What do you like to do, Saco?"), NEVER TALK OF THE GENOCIDE, FORGET IT EXISTS (Only in this thread), be honest, have fun, and let's get together more as a community, as individual people, and maybe one day, our countries will get together. To move a mountain, we have to first remove the small stones but that doesn't mean we can depend on only this method. Right now though, this is a big step for our community I'm sure and if we can help each other here, that will be a step forward and it may not mean a lot to the world but it will mean a lot to us. We don't have to change the world, we have to change ourselves. Let's set an example without thinking of changing the world. One random act of kindness is how we begin to change anything.

Before I go, I ask sincerely for all of you to keep this thread alive, no matter what, I think it's very important we talk to each other. I don't consider talking about the Genocide alone as talking to each other. That's a fact war.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

while it lasts!

saco,
    what sport do you play?

I coach rugby in my club's junior section where my 8 year old son plays.

I know Armenia has a relatively strong national side, I'm not sure about turkey though.

Comment

saco,
      what sport do you play?
      At the moment I play HTML and Dreamweaver , been caught up lately but soon I'll be hitting the gym, it's been awhile. Since I came back from India, I've been "playing" instruments, working on my computer studies, and a few other projects but that's about to change.

I'm a basketball player, haven't played in awhile now but I'm looking into seriously getting into a team and playing. I haven't been exactly having fun or anything for the past two years so I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. I run from my house to the Genocide Memorial (Tsitsernakabert) when I can and that's pretty much it, not including some exercise in the morning. I was good at Kickball and Baseball in America and I've tried playing it whenever I can although in India, no one really knows about those games and neither do they here. I might have to open a club, lol, to get a chance to play again. Their two of my favorite games.

I coach rugby in my club's junior section where my 8 year old son plays.
      That's great. How does he play? In India I used to play Rugby sometimes, didn't get too serious, but the Armenian College there where I learned had a good coach, a pro Iranian Armenian Rugby player. He gathered up a good team of Armenian kids from our school and they beat a few Indian high school teams.

Steph, I originally said let's not ask personal questions but I guess it won't be very possible so guys ask questions but mostly questions related to our countries. That's mostly what this thread was intended for.
      THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Okay, will answer :

How many TV and Radio channels in South Africa :

Depends on what kinda connection you got, if you have satelite, you get pretty
        much most British channels. As a baseline we have four main and free channels (provided you have a TV license of course).
        Don't listen to the radio much, but I think 5 where I live (East Coast Radio, 5fm, Radio sonder grense, Lotus FM which is an Indian channel and Subughu which is Zulu).

Movies in RSA :

Not too big on South Africa movies, although Tsotsi and Sarafina was pretty good.

Do in spare time :

Play music, video games, reading, weight lifting, writing and looking for chicks

Favourite South African recipe :

Most SA Indian food, especially Samoosa, Dhall Roti, Biryani and curries.
        Also have a fantastic Greek bakery nearby

South Africa event I love most :

Diwali (Indian festival of the lights)

Armenian event I love most :

I don't know much about Armenian festivals sadly, hope to learn though

Saco, do you know of any good Metal bands in Armenia?
        What would you saw is the best place for traditional (non modern) architechture in Armenia?

Comment

Very good ideai i think; great!

Let me try to answer Saco Can:

There are 259 TV channels in Turkey, except the channels broadcasting abroad. And 1100 radio channel.

My favourite Turkish movie... hmmmm. "Reis Bey" ('Mr. Judge') i think. Few people knows this movie but it is excellent. Especially Haluk Kurdoglu's performance was extra-ordinary.

In most of my spare time i read and write. Out of these, i go to nice cafe's with my friends (especially one of them) and travel around the city, Istanbul. In older times when i was young , i was doing box.

My favourite Turkish recipes: Sarma, manti and kavurma

I like the most: Surp Zadik (Kristos hariav i merelots-Orhniyal e harutyun Kristos), Hampartsum, Gagant, Dzununt, Vartavar (especially roses)...

How can one travel from Turkey to Yerevan Saco Can in terms of visa and other official things?

And what are words you like the most in Armenian and Turkish? For example, i adore Can (Jan or Djan which is common in both).

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
            Very good ideai i think; great!

Let me try to answer Saco Can:

There are 259 TV channels in Turkey, except the channels broadcasting abroad. And 1100 radio channel.
            259 CH? You probably count evert VCR as a TV channel..)
            just kiding...
            About travel to Armenia: I think you can get viza right in Zvartnots airport. And I think there are 4 regular flights per week from Istambul to Yerevan....
            I think you must be of Armenian decedents, am I wrong?
            I have been there... I have seen ruins of St. Karapet!

Comment

Originally posted by VaheTheGreat(e) View Post
              259 CH? You probably count evert VCR as a TV channel..)
              just kiding...
              About travel to Armenia: I think you can get viza right in Zvartnots airport. And I think there are 4 regular flights per week from Istambul to Yerevan....
              I think you must be of Armenian decedents, am I wrong?
              No, there are 259. But 90 % of them is local or regional channels.

No, i am not of Armenian decedents, although ethnicity means nothing for me, my family is Turkish for 800 years belonging a regional dynasty coming from Khorasan to Southern Anatolia. don't know for older times

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                although ethnicity means nothing for me, my family is Turkish for 800 years belonging a regional dynasty coming from Khorasan to Southern Anatolia. don't know for older times
                You know your origines to well for a person who declares that: "ethnicity means nothing for me"

Comment

Originally posted by VaheTheGreat(e) View Post
                  You know your origines to well for a person who declares that: "ethnicity means nothing for me"
                  It is not a contradiction my friend. Knowledge is always better than ingnorance

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic
                    It is not a contradiction my friend. Knowledge is always better than ingnorance
                    Well, you never know , in turkey it is very hard to be pure Turk... Have you read Elif Shafakes Bastard of Istambul? You never can be sure that some one some where wasn’t Armenian in your family history

Comment

Working...
                    X