Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Parallel Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saco: little pointer, Can is spelled JAN .

I know it is spelled jan or djan but in Turkish language we have also jan and it is written as can. Also it is used just the same as in Armenian and a common male name. Actullay this word came from Persian to Turkish, so this is logical because of Indo-European language family.

Saco: I didn't know there were so many channels in Turkey.

For ten years, it is increasing. Maybe irrelevant but this morning i heard and became so happy. Halil Berktay, a honest historian, started to make a history programme in Channel 24 (closely related to AKP government channel) about Armenians. Just wanted to share...

Saco: Could you give me a paragraph describing why? I'm sure it will be interesting for all of us.

A pitiless judge (Haluk Kurdoglu) makes a wrong judgement and makes an innocent man sentenced to death. After, with the help of his conscience he changes his view of law and his whole life. I am trying to translate its subtitle into English and wont tell more.

Saco: Haha, why don't you still box?

My trainer told me that i had a good technic and style but other things seemed more interesting. However sometimes i do some informal matches.

Saco: Are they Veg. or Non-Veg.?

Maybe you are familiar with sarma, manti and kavurma because i guess they can be also Armenian recipes.
    Sarma is a pickled grapevine leave and something in it by rolling. So it can be transformed to a vegetarian. In some regions, they also add meat into the leave but if you dont like, it is possible without meat.
    Manti is prepared with dough and meat particles. Meat is put into small dough pieces then boil. But one of my vegetarian friend put cheese into the dough. So if you are not vegan, it is ok. Even so, some herbs can be put.
    But kavurma is braised lamb meat cubes browned in its own fat so no way

Saco: Bro, everyone likes these events . You seem to know them pretty well though for a Turk living in Istanbul.

Yes it can sound wierd for a Turk knowing those fests but i try to know my people's important days.

Saco: There are flights coming and going four times a day if I'm not mistaken. One of my relatives has a great business dealing with clothes and she gets a lot of shipments personally from Turkey. It's fairly easy the way I see it. I also see many Turks here in Armenia from time to time.

Thanks a lot. If visa wont be a problem, i want to visit Yerevan. I asked for this reason

Saco: Anyways, let's keep moving on. My next question is: In Turkey, what is it in Turkish behavior that you like and DON'T like the most (Other then nationalist behaviour and not believing the Genocide happened)?

Nice question! What i really hate in Turks is lack of analytical reasoning. Turks' behaviours are based on instant emotions rather than logic and thinking. So it is inevitable -for example in a discussion- to fall into fallacies.

But i like my people's sincerity and intimacy in human relations.

Rather than Yerevan, which places/cities have to be seen when we go to Armenia?

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
      Maybe you are familiar with sarma, manti and kavurma because i guess they can be also Armenian recipes.

Manti is prepared with dough and meat particles. Meat is put into small dough pieces then boil. But one of my vegetarian friend put cheese into the dough. So if you are not vegan, it is ok. Even so, some herbs can be put.
      Sounds like pilmany

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
        Sounds like pilmany
        It is possible because manti (or pilmany) is from Kayseri originally and as you know, a considerable Armenian population lived in that city.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
          What would you saw is the best place for traditional (non modern) architechture in Armenia?
          I'm inclined to say almost nowhere. But maybe in the neglected SE corner of Armenia there might be some. 19C Gyumri is not traditional architecture. During the Soviet period almost all traditional architecture was destroyed to make way for new houses and farms, not to mention the massive envoronmental destruction.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
            It is possible because manti (or pilmany) is from Kayseri originally and as you know, a considerable Armenian population lived in that city.
            pilmany (pelmeni) is the Russian version of manti, it is slightly different and it is not traditional Armenian but was very popular in Eastern (Soviet) Armenia.
            I have been there... I have seen ruins of St. Karapet!

Comment

Originally posted by VaheTheGreat(e) View Post
              pilmany (pelmeni) is the Russian version of manti, it is slightly different and it is not traditional Armenian but was very popular in Eastern (Soviet) Armenia.
              Thanks for the spellcheck Vahe, your greatness, pelmeni does sound better, do you eat it?

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                Thanks for the spellcheck Vahe, your greatness, pelmeni does sound better, do you eat it?
                Not much recently...
                I have been there... I have seen ruins of St. Karapet!

Comment

Holiday season

Guys and Gals,

We've many different religions, denominations and non-religious people here. The upcoming holiday season will see a wide variety of celebration and of course, date.

What are the unique aspects of celebration where you live?

Which,if any, do you enjoy most?

Comment

Vahe Jan, the topic is called Parallel Roads for a reason . I think if you read my post again you'll see what this topic is about. Guys, I beg you not to wander off for too long because the thread will lose it's force. The point of this thread is to get to know each other according to our countries, not ourselves alone. Look at Arda and Pedro for example, how their going with the flow. Let's stay on point. We answer questions from our point of view, talk about ourselves, and then ask most importantly a question or two to members from a certain country. We need to flesh out who we are and most importantly where we are from, what it's like, etc. This will help us know more about each other. This thread isn't an introduction thread although talking about ourselves is welcomed as well. Check out how I wrote my first post and what the replies were like.

Hey I love this. Since work is slow and I have no big trips coming up for at least another week this gives me time to relax and read all the great info on this site and get to know you guys better.
                    It's a great opportunity for us as well Edoman Jan.

Let’s see, my hobbies are motorbikes, skiing when I get a chance and I love camping outdoors. I live very close to mountains (must be an Armenian thing, I feel safe in the mountains, even though it tried to take my life twice) and I like to go hiking with my Labrador.
                    Yeah, it's an Armenian thing, lol. I've been on camping trips a lot. Gheghart, Meghri, Sevan, etc. Do you have a question for Turkey or any other countries representative here Edoman Jan?

Maybe you are familiar with sarma, manti and kavurma because i guess they can be also Armenian recipes. Sarma is a pickled grapevine leave and something in it by rolling.
                    This is Tpov Dolma.

For ten years, it is increasing. Maybe irrelevant but this morning i heard and became so happy. Halil Berktay, a honest historian, started to make a history programme in Channel 24 (closely related to AKP government channel) about Armenians. Just wanted to share...
                    Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Rather than Yerevan, which places/cities have to be seen when we go to Armenia?
                    Garni, Gheghart, Echmiatsin, Sevan, and many other places I can't seem to remember at the moment. Whoever said there isn't much to see in Armenia doesn't know what he/she is talking about. There are very, very interesting and important places that you just have to see. Armenia itself is a peice of art, believe it or not. You'd be surprised.

OK, my question not only to Arda but to Turkey itself (so all Turkish members can reply or someone that knows Turkey well). What is the greatest technical problem(s) (transport, etc.) in Turkey?
                    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                      ....Do you have a question for Turkey or any other countries representative here Edoman Jan?....
                      Quite right my old chap, let’s see, hmmmm

how do the Turks in general feel about the restriction on female students wearing headscarf while attending Universities just so that the state can look secular.

Comment

Working...
                      X