Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turk dismissed in Netherlands for using term deportation instead of genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turk dismissed in Netherlands for using term deportation instead of genocide

14.01.2010 21:24 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Arman Sag, a Turkish contributor to Dagelijkse Standaard Dutch portal was dismissed because of using the term ‘deportation’ instead of the Armenian Genocide in his article. Besides, Sag said “Turks never committed a genocide.”

After numerous complaints received by the editorial staff from the Armenian community of the Netherlands, editor-in-chief urged Sag to apologize. The journalist for his part said he neither denied nor confirmed the fact of the Genocide in his article, Hurriyet reported.

The Armenian Genocide (1915-23) was the deliberate and systematic destruction of the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire during and just after World War I. It was characterized by massacres, and deportations involving forced marches under conditions designed to lead to the death of the deportees, with the total number of deaths reaching 1.5 million.

The date of the onset of the genocide is conventionally held to be April 24, 1915, the day that Ottoman authorities arrested some 250 Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Constantinople. Thereafter, the Ottoman military uprooted Armenians from their homes and forced them to march for hundreds of miles, depriving them of food and water, to the desert of what is now Syria. Massacres were indiscriminate of age or gender, with rape and other sexual abuse commonplace. The Armenian Genocide is the second most-studied case of genocide after the Holocaust.

The Republic of Turkey, the successor state of the Ottoman Empire, denies the word genocide is an accurate description of the events. In recent years, it has faced repeated calls to accept the events as genocide.

To date, twenty countries and 44 U.S. states have officially recognized the events of the period as genocide, and most genocide scholars and historians accept this view. The Armenian Genocide has been also recognized by influential media including The New York Times, BBC, The Washington Post and The Associated Press.

The majority of Armenian Diaspora communities were formed by the Genocide survivors.

Link

Re: Turk dismissed in Netherlands for using term deportation instead of genocide

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post

14.01.2010 21:24 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Arman Sag, a Turkish contributor to Dagelijkse Standaard Dutch portal was dismissed because of using the term ‘deportation’ instead of the Armenian Genocide in his article. Besides, Sag said “Turks never committed a genocide.”

After numerous complaints received by the editorial staff from the Armenian community of the Netherlands, editor-in-chief urged Sag to apologize. The journalist for his part said he neither denied nor confirmed the fact of the Genocide in his article, Hurriyet reported.

The Armenian Genocide (1915-23) was the deliberate and systematic destruction of the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire during and just after World War I. It was characterized by massacres, and deportations involving forced marches under conditions designed to lead to the death of the deportees, with the total number of deaths reaching 1.5 million.

The date of the onset of the genocide is conventionally held to be April 24, 1915, the day that Ottoman authorities arrested some 250 Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Constantinople. Thereafter, the Ottoman military uprooted Armenians from their homes and forced them to march for hundreds of miles, depriving them of food and water, to the desert of what is now Syria. Massacres were indiscriminate of age or gender, with rape and other sexual abuse commonplace. The Armenian Genocide is the second most-studied case of genocide after the Holocaust.

The Republic of Turkey, the successor state of the Ottoman Empire, denies the word genocide is an accurate description of the events. In recent years, it has faced repeated calls to accept the events as genocide.

To date, twenty countries and 44 U.S. states have officially recognized the events of the period as genocide, and most genocide scholars and historians accept this view. The Armenian Genocide has been also recognized by influential media including The New York Times, BBC, The Washington Post and The Associated Press.

The majority of Armenian Diaspora communities were formed by the Genocide survivors.

Link

Get some fact straight Alexandros. Firstly, the 25 year old newly trained journalists used the words "displacement" and not deportation. Secondly he never denied anything.

So much for freedom of speech. Imagine if someone of Armenian ancestry got fired in Turkey under similar circumstances, all hell would have broken loose in the foreign media.

Comment

Re: Turk dismissed in Netherlands for using term deportation instead of genocide

Originally posted by Jos View Post
      Get some fact straight Alexandros. Firstly, the 25 year old newly trained journalists used the words "displacement" and not deportation. Secondly he never denied anything.

So much for freedom of speech. Imagine if someone of Armenian ancestry got fired in Turkey under similar circumstances, all hell would have broken loose in the foreign media.
      And if this were the Holocaust and one person doubted it they would be arrested, but you don't seem to complain about that, so what Armenian's can have their Genocide denied, but the xxxs can't? Why, don't Armenian's count as much to you and the rest of the world eh?

Comment

Jos, did you wake on the wrong side today?

Shoot the message, not the messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
          And if this were the Holocaust and one person doubted it they would be arrested, but you don't seem to complain about that, so what Armenian's can have their Genocide denied, but the xxxs can't? Why, don't Armenian's count as much to you and the rest of the world eh?
          It depends on the context and I wouldn't have any objections as long as it wasn't derived purely from hate or racism. A journalist, historian, intellectual should be free to express opinions and interpretations without fear of prosecution, persecution, vilification, being fired etc. This smacks of article 301 - if its wrong in Turkey than it's wrong elsewhere as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
            Jos, did you wake on the wrong side today?

Shoot the message, not the messenger.
            Fair point Alexandros. On closer research the Dagelijkse Standaard is nothing but a conservative blog site, hardly even news worthy.

Comment

It depends on the context and I wouldn't have any objections as long as it wasn't derived purely from hate or racism. A journalist, historian, intellectual should be free to express opinions and interpretations without fear of prosecution, persecution, vilification, being fired etc. This smacks of article 301 - if its wrong in Turkey than it's wrong elsewhere as well.
              This would be a licence " not to let the truth get in the way of a good story"
              Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
              Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
              Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

If???
                Look who's talking?

Comment

He never denied anything? So first he said that he didn`t deny anything and then he wrote a column which includes his stataments that "Turks did not commit a genocide against Armenians."

So which of it is then?

Turkish man in Holland loses job because of denying so called genocide

Thursday, 14 January 2010

Armand Sag, 25, a Turkish citizen that started to write in the column of the news portal “De Dagelijksestandaard” about Turkey’s foreign policy, is fired after he wrote that “Turks did not commit a genocide against Armenians.”

A graduate of Utretch University, History and Turcology Department, Armand Sag said that freedom of opinion does not exists in Holland. “I cannot believe what has happened. I am shocked. It is unbelievable,” said he.

Stating that he was warned by his boss several times because of the articles in which he wrote that Turks did not commit a genocide against Armenians, Sag said, “I am fired because of the Armenian issue. My boss called me to apologize Armenians. But i did not. And he fired me.”

Sag said, “Obviously, being a columnist was not my thing. I was hired a little while ago. Then I was censured after I defined 1915 events as displacement. Do not get me wrong, I did not mention anytime if the events were genocide or not. I can tell you that great trouble rose because I used the term ‘displacement.’ I knew that Armenian lobby in Holland is strong, but I did not expect this much.”

Sag said, “Afterwards, I wrote the column that includes my statements telling that Turks did not commit a genocide against Armenians. Armenians sent hundrends of e-mails and letters. And then,they called me to apologize to Armenians. And because I did not, I am fired.”

Complaining that Turkish lobby is weak in Holland, Sag said, “There are 450,000 Turkish citizen in Holland. On the other hand the population of Armenian diaspora in Holland is about 12,000. It is so sad that Armenian lobbies are stronger here. Unfortunately, I did not find any support from Turkish people in Holland.”

Link

Comment

[QUOTE=Yedtarts;288776]If???
                    Look who's talking?

.... and after Hrants murder all hell did break loose in the foreign and domestic media and a million Turks took to the streets......

Comment

Working...
                    X