Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reflections In My Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections In My Mind

Why do I have to remember the Genocide? What is particularly important about it? What is it that I must remember? What is it that I have to look for? What it is that I must pass on? What do I have to do? Why do I have to do all this? Can I disattach myself from the Genocide? How can I imagine myself without the Genocide? Would I be here where I am today were it not for it? Can I talk of Genocide without the Genocide? What is it about the absurd past that is connected to my concrete present? And what or how does this fuse into the undetermined future?
    Achkerov kute.

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    Why do I have to remember the Genocide? What is particularly important about it? What is it that I must remember? What is it that I have to look for? What it is that I must pass on? What do I have to do? Why do I have to do all this? Can I disattach myself from the Genocide? How can I imagine myself without the Genocide? Would I be here where I am today were it not for it? Can I talk of Genocide without the Genocide? What is it about the absurd past that is connected to my concrete present? And what or how does this fuse into the undetermined future?

Because it's your duty as an Armenian, living in a country of non believers and cynics.

Comment

Originally posted by violette829
      Because it's your duty as an Armenian, living in a country of non believers and cynics.
      But why is it my duty as an Armenian? Who made it my duty? Did the Armenian government make it my duty? Did nationalism make it my duty? Or did the plight of my great grandfathers make it my duty? Did someone decide for me? Or did I get to decide it? What is it that I am supposed to remember? What is it that I am supposed to tell? What is it that I am supposed to represent?
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

I think it's more than a sense of duty as an Armenian. While duty sure plays a part in it, it's more than just that. Basically we're spent far too long using the Genocide as an identifying marker. I think that being Armenian entails far more than being a people whose ancestors went through this hell on earth called Genocide. You know what I want to know? What did Armenians tell eachother was their 'duty as an Armenian' to do before the genocide? What gave us a sense of identity before?
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

That is my point. Armenian history is far more rich and deeper than just the Genocide. Yet whether in newspapers, Armenian youth groups, schools, classes, politics, this is the focus. It has become part of the nationalist myth and the collective consciousness.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho
            we've been through a lot.
            not only the Genocide. you could basically say that our whole history is full of nations trying to get rid of us. not only turks.
            when do you refer to when you say before?
            before the ottomans? before the persians? before the seljuks?
            I think you bring up an important factor.
            the reason we've always stayed a nation is because of all those invasions.
            it's because for thousands of years we've said " it's our duty to STAY"
            What of our great Kings and Queens and incredible leaders, rich history, beautiful literature, incredible art and poetry. None of these things make us who we are today?? I think that there is much more to the Armenian culture than it's resiliance against invasions and ability to stick together and get through things stonger than we were when we went in. We have beauty that seems all but forgotten in this quest for justice that we may never get. I think it's about time we start to emphasize things other than the genocide that make up the Armenian culture and history.
            The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
              What of our great Kings and Queens and incredible leaders, rich history, beautiful literature, incredible art and poetry. None of these things make us who we are today?? I think that there is much more to the Armenian culture than it's resiliance against invasions and ability to stick together and get through things stonger than we were when we went in. We have beauty that seems all but forgotten in this quest for justice that we may never get. I think it's about time we start to emphasize things other than the genocide that make up the Armenian culture and history.
              Agreed !!!!
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Very true, the other day I was reading a book about Armenian history. And I was reading the events that led up to the Genocide. What really made me mad was we were actually helping the Turks before the Genocide. We lost a lot of land and people to it. And I think that we should get something back eventually.

Comment

I wouldn't view the genocide as such a tragic event if we did not have all that history and culture.

The genocide is painful for us (or at least for me) because I know what preceeded it and all what could have happened had it not occured. It should not be what indentifies us as Armenians. That's just unhealthy in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by hexing
                    Turks did no genocide, it was just a deportation from one Ottoman land (Anatolia) to another (Syria), but Kurds killed Armenians in the way to Syria. There was no official command calling for a genocide, the command was for deportation.

Please search this, and you will understand.

Hexing
                    Of course you will disseminate only what your government has told you is their version of events. Few will veer off into the opposing resources to get a more balanced view. In the era of nation-states and "nationness" ones idea of their nation is often based on the nationalist myths that have created their nation. Nationalism in all its manifestations threatens and is a road block to free thought, because it imposes artificial, and mostly political, hegemony on the minds ability to freely weigh information. In doing so, it permeates into the minds of those who have been bred by that nationalism, thereby acting a force field and creating an intellectual Berlin Wall. Anything contrary to what you have been taught as the founding bedrocks of your nation must be purged. Why would Turkey be so anti-Democratic and anti-intellectual with regard to this one issue? Why is free discussion not permitted in Turkey? Of course, because the nation-state known as Turkey, which was founded by Ataturk, was founded on the blood of others. Modern Turkey's entire existence is based on the expulsion of others and Ataturk is deified like Stalin and Hitler of yore. Nation-States do not come into existence via peaceful means or social contracts. They come into existence by violence and on the blood of others.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X