Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How should we approach the denial of the genocide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should we approach the denial of the genocide?

My great grandmother who survived the genocide is still alive. To see her, a living relic of the past, is so inspiring. I can not explain it to anyone, the feeling is hard to articulate. It is almost religious. I cant believe she went through that. I am not the most passionate about the genocide. I should be. But I do realize that I am not. Anyway, I only do something about it once a year. First of all I must say that I hate it when young Armenians today say that "We should forget it, it happened almost 100 years ago." Nothing makes my blood boil more than that phrase.

I only do something on April 24. Though I do something, I demonstrate, and this and that, it really amounts to nothing. All it gets us is earned media. We need to have some kind of lobbying power. There is obviously a political advantage for the US to keep denying the genocide. The government will never officially recognize the events of 1915 until we have something that they need. A protest by a couple hundred armo kids at the turkish embassy isnt going to do much. No legislation is going to pass because we do that. There has to be something else.

Are there any lawyers out there? Is there anyone who understands practical politics? I know there has been attempts to pass legislation that have failed. I want to know if there is some way to work through the American government, ie lobbying, proposals, bills that we can pass to have this legislation go through.

I dont want anything physical from the turks. No money, no nothing. Our land would be nice actually. They cant bring our families back, they cant give me anything. All I want is for the people of the strongest nation on the earth to recognize and learn about the genocide as they do the holocaust. I want this taught in schools throughout the country. Because of these turkish xxxxxxxs, our people have dispersed and the culture is decimating over time. If we give up on this, then we give up on ourselves. My great grandmother deserves justice. Your great grandmother deserves justice. You deserve justice. We deserve justice.

Well, what we can't do is hope that governments (especially US) will "do the right thing". We keep showing pictures of our suffering ancestors, as we should, yet we forget that for foreign governments, their personal gains will by far outweigh any emotion caused by those pictures. What we must do is present clear political advantages that foreign governments would have in recognizing the genocide. Of course, it is not the way it SHOULD be, but it has worked so far for turkey. Martin Luther King Jr stated that "the means you use must be as pure as the ends you seek". In our case, this hasn't worked and we, whether we like it or not, have to play the same political game turkey has been playing so far, to finally get justice. To do this, however, Armenia must be an economically stronger country, because it would give more weight to our word. I also believe that the ANCA has a huuuuuge role to play in all of this, as one of the strongest lobbying groups in the States. What must we do? What must we offer? I do not know yet. But in times like this where the US has somehow lost faith in turkey, we must jump on eveeeery little opportunity we get.

Comment

well first of all we can start by educating ourselves on the subject because sadly many Armenians do not know anything past "1.5 million armenians died in 1915".. i suggest everyone reads deeper and learn about the Armenian Genocide to be able to defend the truth if a case of denial arises. We must prepare to be the future defenders of our case, because the people working in hye tad are not gonna be there forever.. we must join our Hye Tad committees and begin working within the comunity.

Yes, if the U.S accepts the genocide we will have the upper hand, but it all comes down to Turkey recognizing it... the U.S can recognize it today, and trash it the next...

We must work in our Armenian communities, raise awareness through political means, be it flyer passing, posters, or public lectures.. for youth i suggest u join your nearest AYF Yeridasartagan, and enter into the political commitee to do this type of work, and if u like it i suggest you join hye tad...

WE WILL ONLY GET SOMEWHERE WHEN PEOPLE STOP RELYING IN THE OTHER TO DO THE WORK, YOU GET OFF YOU ASS AND JOIN THE OTHER PERSON AND WORK TOGETHER!

Comment

Very good approaches guys. What do you see we are doing wrong now?

Comment

Very very good point Vrej. As I saw in Ottawa last year, it seemed that many people were there just because they could miss school.

After educating ourselves though, we must talk to it to people around us, in order to get some sort of public awareness and support. This is why I have done many oral presentations on the subject in school, and why at least 80% of my school now knows about the armenian genocide.

What armenians often do is place their own history ahead of everyone else's. In high school for example, we had a course about the deportation of the acadians. In amplitude, it doesn't compare to the armenian genocide, but it is a sad event for the french canadians. What a few armenians did was saying to everyone around them (french canadians): this is such a small thing compared to what we've been through etc.
          We can't expect support from others if we don't do the same.

Another good point you make Vrej when you talk about pressuring Turkey. Since no communication has been established between the turks and Armenia, an acceptance by the states would be a good way to pressure turkey. We should try to play the european union card with turkey, as I am sure that the recognition of the genocide will get them closer to accession in the EU. In fact, Turkey does have a lot to gain (yet hopefully some land to lose) if it does accept its past and apologizes accordingly. However, we must stop ALL discussions if they keep on insisting about leaving Artsakh in order to start conversing.

Comment

ok, this thread is kinda old, but this is an article I got off groong.com (again). If we were to pressure the States to pressure Turkey, this could be one of our tools...

Al Qaeda Reborn

Revamped Al Qaeda May Be Operating Out of Georgia, Employing New Tactics

ABCNews.com
            May 19, 2003

Al Qaeda, though weakened, is replenishing and smuggling terror
            operatives from new training camps in the Republic of Georgia, and
            these terrorists possibly are being protected by Iran, sources told
            ABCNEWS.

While President Bush and the FBI have repeatedly stressed that al
            Qaeda is being dismantled, terrorist attacks last week in Saudi Arabia
            indicate that the terror group is still active — and authorities in
            London, Paris, Madrid and Washington are predicting more attacks.

Al Qaeda's operation has been crippled by the U.S.-led war on
            terrorism, but it has shifted its tactics and taken on new commanders
            and adopted new routes of travel, sources said.

>From new training camps in Georgia, sources told ABCNEWS, al Qaeda
            operatives are being smuggled into Europe and across the Black Sea
            before settling into safe houses in Turkey. Employees of these safe
            houses do not hesitate to protect these al Qaeda operatives.

"I'm not going to call police against Hezbollah, al Qaeda," one desk
            clerk at the Interyouth Hostel in Turkey told ABCNEWS' Brian Ross. "I
            don't do this."

New Military Chief and New Tactics

Osama bin Laden's whereabouts remain a mystery to U.S. authorities,
            but officials told ABCNEWS his former bodyguard Saif el-Adel is his
            new military chief. Sources said el-Adel is operating out of Iran,
            where he and other al Qaeda operatives are being protected by the
            Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

"It [al Qaeda] has a management council that has sanctuary inside of
            Iran," said ABCNEWS consultant and former U.S. counterterrorism
            official Richard Clarke. "It has tens of thousands of trained
            operatives that were trained in camps in Afghanistan who are still at
            large. So, although we've done a lot of damage to al Qaeda, it's still
            a potent force."

The FBI has offered a $25 million reward for el-Adel's capture for his
            alleged involvement in the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in
            Kenya and Tanzania.

Last week's deadly attacks in the Saudi capital of Riyadh showed new
            terror tactics, which included simultaneous attacks on multiple
            targets. In the attacks, armed operatives cleared security personnel
            as multiple vehicles packed with explosives honed in on various "soft"
            targets that promised many casualties.

FBI officials believe these tactics could be a harbinger of things to
            come on U.S. soil. The Department of Homeland Security sent out an
            information bulletin today that said the attacks involved extensive
            surveillance and planning — a trademark of al Qaeda-led operations.

"While the ability to conduct multiple, near simultaneous attacks
            against several targets is not new for terrorist groups such as al
            Qaeda, the manner in which these attacks was conducted indicates a
            more refined capability," the bulletin said. "In each attack a number
            of armed terrorists was used to eliminate the security elements
            guarding the compounds so [a] suicide cadre could drive a vehicle
            borne improvised explosive device to the desired location and detonate
            it."

Homeland Bulletin

The bulletin warned officials and the public to be aware of the
            following factors, among others:

- Theft of explosives, blasting caps, or fuses, or certain chemicals
            used in the manufacture of explosives.

- Rental of self-storage space for the purpose of storing chemicals or
            chemical-mixing apparatus.

- Delivery of chemicals directly to a self-storage facility or unusual
            deliveries of chemicals

- Chemical fires, toxic odors, brightly colored stains, or rusted
            metal fixtures in apartments, hotel/motel rooms, or self-storage
            units.

- Rental, theft, or purchase of truck or van with minimum 1-ton
            carrying capacity.

- Modification of truck or van with heavy duty springs to handle
            heavier loads.

Any of these factors alone do not necessarily suggest terrorist
            activity, homeland security officials warned. But authorities should
            consider and notice these factors if they suspect various targets may
            be vulnerable to attacks.

"The statistical odds are that we are going to get hit domestically,
            and that's just a fact that we can't sugarcoat," said Rep. Porter
            Gross, R-Fla., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

Much Work to Do

However, U.S. officials said last week's Saudi attacks also
            illustrated al Qaeda's weakness. One captured suspect reportedly said
            that despite advanced planning, the terror operatives were rushed into
            action and unable to hit more symbolic targets such as the
            U.S. Embassy.

Still, authorities worldwide are on alert and wary that al Qaeda may
            strike again and soon. FBI teams are dispatched around the world,
            working with authorities and searching for clues for where the terror
            group may strike next. And this has made President Bush call for
            vigilance once again in the war on terror.

"There's an al Qaeda group still actively plotting to kill," Bush said
            at a news conference today with Philippine President Gloria Macapagal
            Arroyo. "I always said this was going to be a long war. We're slowly
            but surely dismantling the al Qaeda operational network. But we've got
            a lot of work to do."

ABCNEWS' Brian Ross in London contributed to this report.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/World/ross_new_alqaeda030519.html

Comment

AS LONG US HAS AS SISTERSOULS ISRAEL AND TURKEY, NO MATTER HOW WE PROTEST NEVER THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE WILL BE RECOGNIZED!

Comment

What I was suggesting with that post was that the US might lose trust in Turkey (as it has lately) and would be willing to pressure it. In this case, recognizing the armenian genocide would put pressure on Turkey to try to cease their support for terrorist organizations. It would also get armenian support for Mr. aBush during the upcoming elections.

This is, of course, all going on in my head, and US support for our cause is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Our main priority should be trying to educate the Turks. Because of the internet, the government can no longer censor everything, and if we put up some nicely done websites (no more "xxxx u turks"), public opinion can soon shift our way.

The armenian genocide, though still a taboo subject, is being more and more discussed in Turkey, and I recently read an interesting (translation of) article published in the Turkish Times (I think). I'll try to find it and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
                  What I was suggesting with that post was that the US might lose trust in Turkey (as it has lately) and would be willing to pressure it. In this case, recognizing the armenian genocide would put pressure on Turkey to try to cease their support for terrorist organizations. It would also get armenian support for Mr. aBush during the upcoming elections.

This is, of course, all going on in my head, and US support for our cause is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Our main priority should be trying to educate the Turks. Because of the internet, the government can no longer censor everything, and if we put up some nicely done websites (no more "xxxx u turks"), public opinion can soon shift our way.

The armenian genocide, though still a taboo subject, is being more and more discussed in Turkey, and I recently read an interesting (translation of) article published in the Turkish Times (I think). I'll try to find it and post it.
                  Baron, I agree with you. This is our opportunity to strike. It must be well orchistrated, cordial and aggressive. This is our chance, public opinion could easily be swayed now. Not many people are in favor of the turks.

Comment

This is the kinda stuff I like to hear.. although, I got nothing to add at the moment, lol. I'm helping in my own small way... But if the U.S. truly is loosing faith in Turkey than that really is good for us. Too be honest, I'm still not sure why the U.S. is allies with Turkey... what does Turkey provide really?
                    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

Working...
                    X