Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Do You Commemorate April 24th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Commemorate April 24th?

This thread is a place where we can express how we deal with April 24th, as individuals, how we commemorate the day, and what types of things have caused change in the years on how you see this day, etc...

Me first: I started out very young, I was passionate, I loved having the ability to show who I was, I WAS ARMENIAN! Damn it and we were persecuted; we were hurt, my family suffered, etc... But I took no real action...

Then I got into college, I realized that just passion, crying, pity, etc, doesn’t do anything except make me a future patient of a therapist... so I decided to join a party. I wanted to move the change that was needed by becoming a part of something bigger, so there was the ANCA, I did all the web faxing, I donated money, I went to the talks, I went to protests, I went to gatherings, yelled out what I had to yell out, I sang the Armenian national anthem, etc... I read the history books, the specific Armenian genocide books, etc... I was even the president of the Armenian club at my school.

Then - this summer I went to Armenia, ohh my GOD it was wonderful! I went to Tsitsernakabert, I stood there looking into the fire, I looked around, and there were people there putting flowers, it was silent, there was this warm summer wind, I was nervous because I wanted to cry, but I didn’t want to do it in front of my little brother... then I stood out side of the memorial and MAN! If you’ve ever been there, you know what an incredible view you have of the city! The buildings, the streets, the highways, etc... It is uncanny! it is breath taking.... so I asked my cousins how they commemorate the day, how they feel about it, and they said something along the lines that they feel terrible for what happened, but they feel worse for how things are going now considering the genocide, they said "after all of that, we still are NOT united with one voice." I felt at ease there and I think that the experience was cathartic… so they feel the same way as I do, and I am not alone… seeing what my country was about, going to the place where it hurts to think about helped me understand that protests, silly politics, etc… are not the best ways to deal with the pain and scarring that has been left on me and the rest of the Armenian people.

Now, out of college, I am bit more mature then before, and with taking into consideration my experience in Armenia, I commemorate the day by mourning the loss, remembering the past, and only look to the future, this helps me very much...

So I guess I am calmer then before, and I have found the place in my heart where I can deal with the social side of my pain… but I will never want to change my true Armenian feelings and principles of diplomacy for turkey… although I think it will help A LOT if they stopped denying it…

nice post

(in the weeks surrounding) I make sure I talk to as many people about what happend and explain it in no uncertain terms.

Comment

Thank you wino, i guess no one has a story to share or can think of anything

Comment

There's so many events I wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

wino, I do that all year round.

The closest thing to me is a service at an Armenian church over an hour away. I asked to go, but my family doesn't care to. "It's too far, it's too much trouble..."

I will wear my Genocide shirt to class tomorrow though!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
            wino, I do that all year round.

The closest thing to me is a service at an Armenian church over an hour away. I asked to go, but my family doesn't care to. "It's too far, it's too much trouble..."

I will wear my Genocide shirt to class tomorrow though!
            That's pretty much the same situation here, closest church again being an hour away. And even if it was closer....church is against my principals, so I don't know if I could bring myself to go. So, I wear the shirt, and my flag pin (which usually strikes up a few conversations), and plaster the event on every forum I am a member of, like so....

Comment

Great. Church is against my principles too in a way lol but I do accept it as a part of my heritage. Even if I don't pray while I am there, it is nice to just be a part of it.

Comment

i think that our culture shapes us MUCH more then our religion... unlike most of the world... but i feel the same way about church... i am #1 Armenian, #2 girl, #3 daughter, sister, friend, etc... and maybe after many other things i'd say, ya armenians are christians...

i think we have influenced our religon more then it has influence on us... agian very atypical from others... (i think the whole world)... maybe i'm wrong...

Comment

Working...
                X