Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Genocide Survivor Tigranuhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genocide Survivor Tigranuhi

Deported from Childhood: “There were Armenians suffering everywhere”
    By Suren Musayelyan
    ArmeniaNow reporter

Tigranuhi’s childhood ended when she was four.

And that, was a long time ago – 1914, when her family was deported for the first time. For the next 21 years, she would hardly know a “home”, but would merely have places to live.

Trouble began after the start of the First World War when the father of Tigranuhi Asatryan (then Kostanyan) with his large family (three daughters and one son) first had to leave the town of Kaghzvan (near Kars, Western Armenia) in anticipation of persecutions against the local Armenian population. First they moved to Alexandropol (now Gyumri), then to Tiflis (Georgia) and then farther to the north – to the town of Armavir in the southern Russian province of Kuban.

Tigranuhi’s elder brother, Artashes, had been called up for military duty in the Ottoman army fighting the Russians on the eastern front and her younger brother, Artavazd, who was not of call-up age yet, had to hide as Turks did not look at potential recruits’ age.

Tigranuhi vaguely remembers their first exodus from Kaghzvan. But she clearly remembers their second deportation in 1918.

She says they stayed in Kuban for several years, but then her father’s nostalgia for his birthplace brought them back to Kaghzvan in 1918. Their stay in the hometown, however, was a short one, lasting for only 15 days, and then their path home was much more complicated. By then, Armenians had already been widely persecuted, killed or deported throughout the Ottoman Empire.

“We hid in the house of a Molokan family (a Russian religious sect, similar to Quakers). I and my two sisters, Armine and Liza, saw terrible scenes peeping through a hole in the fence,” Tigranuhi remembers. “Turks with their women, all dressed smartly, wearing gold ornaments and expensive clothes they had looted from murdered or deported Armenians came to town and more plunder followed. They broke into people’s homes looking for Armenians and their gold.”

She remembers that hundreds of people then were killed, raped or lost their lives unable to bear the suffering.

“We lost many of our relatives during those years – my three cousins, uncle and aunt were first tortured and then killed in Turkish jail,” remembers Tigranuhi, now 95. “We were all stricken with terror when we heard about thousands of people murdered, raped and humiliated. Armenians were suffering everywhere.”

Brother, Artavazd, was red-haired and he hid in the house of a Molokan family (many of whom are fair haired) pretending to be their son. He worked for them from morning till dark in the grain fields and also doing various domestic chores not to be handed over to the Turks.

When the first opportunity arose to leave the town on a train together with Molokans, all members of Tigranuhi’s family dressed in Molokan clothes set off on a journey again, casting their last glance at their sweet hometown rapidly disappearing behind the train.

Then was their usual way – from Alexandropol to Tiflis and farther to Armavir…

A decade of peaceful life began for the Kostanyans in southern Russia. Tigranuhi married a fellow Kaghzvantsi, Mikael Asatryan, in 1928, but more trouble awaited them. Tigranuhi’s father, a successful food store owner, considered a kulak (a peasant land owner, who would not submit to a collective farm) by the Bolsheviks, was accused by the Soviets, and his property was confiscated this time by the communist state.

Tigranuhi and her husband left for Samarkand (Uzbekistan) in 1931 and after four years spent in Central Asia they finally made up their mind to move to Yerevan and settle down here.

“My husband began to work at a rubber production plant in Yerevan, everybody knew him well. Our life more or less became normal,” says Tigranuhi.

Here they had five children – sons Simon and Albert and daughters Tamara, Anna and Liza. Today, Tigranuhi, whose husband died in the 1980s, boasts of 14 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

She says her husband worked a lot and provided the family well and so she didn’t have to work or have a specialty. She was always a housewife, caring for children and domestic needs.

Now she lives in a one-room apartment in Yerevan’s working-class district (so-called 3rd district) and gets a pension of 16,500 drams a month (after the rise in pensions for Genocide survivors in April 2005 – about $36).

“I have seen a lot in my life and I spent my childhood and adolescence moving from one place to another,” says Tigranuhi. “Sometimes I close my eyes and remember my cousins. I see them young and beautiful, as they were when they lost their lives at the hands of the Turks. Often in my dreams I see them talking to me, but I know they were all gone a long time ago.”

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
    http://armenianow.com/?action=viewAr...g=eng&IID=1055
    And that, was a long time ago – 1914, when her family was deported for the first time. For the next 21 years, she would hardly know a “home”, but would merely have places to live.

Trouble began after the start of the First World War when the father of Tigranuhi Asatryan (then Kostanyan) with his large family (three daughters and one son) first had to leave the town of Kaghzvan (near Kars, Western Armenia) in anticipation of persecutions against the local Armenian population. First they moved to Alexandropol (now Gyumri), then to Tiflis (Georgia) and then farther to the north – to the town of Armavir in the southern Russian province of Kuban.

Tigranuhi’s elder brother, Artashes, had been called up for military duty in the Ottoman army fighting the Russians on the eastern front and her younger brother, Artavazd, who was not of call-up age yet, had to hide as Turks did not look at potential recruits’ age.

Tigranuhi vaguely remembers their first exodus from Kaghzvan. But she clearly remembers their second deportation in 1918.

She says they stayed in Kuban for several years, but then her father’s nostalgia for his birthplace brought them back to Kaghzvan in 1918. Their stay in the hometown, however, was a short one, lasting for only 15 days, and then their path home was much more complicated. By then, Armenians had already been widely persecuted, killed or deported throughout the Ottoman Empire.

“We hid in the house of a Molokan family (a Russian religious sect, similar to Quakers). I and my two sisters, Armine and Liza, saw terrible scenes peeping through a hole in the fence,” Tigranuhi remembers. “Turks with their women, all dressed smartly, wearing gold ornaments and expensive clothes they had looted from murdered or deported Armenians came to town and more plunder followed. They broke into people’s homes looking for Armenians and their gold.”
    This part doesn't make sense. Kaghzvan is Kagizman I presume. Kaghizman, to the south of Kars, was an almost exclusively Armenian town inside the Russian empire - so there were no deportations or perecutions there in 1915.

Either her memory is confused or the interviewer knows nothing about the real history of the area and was imposing his own ignorance onto the story. There were two waves of Armenian refugees from Kagizman, one in 1918 when the Turks briefly captured the town, and another in 1920 when they captured it again (and kept it this time). After the Turkish army left in 1918 the town remained under the control of local Turkish and Kurdish forces for a while until forces of the Armenian republic recaptured it.
    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 11-17-2005, 07:02 PM.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

It is clear that certain individuals here have trouble understanding the written word - suggest you read it again - more carefully this time...and consider the words "in anticipation" (many Armenians fled from the regions near the front for fear of what would happen to them if the Turks managed to press foreward - this is not a unique story)

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
        It is clear that certain individuals here have trouble understanding the written word - suggest you read it again - more carefully this time...and consider the words "in anticipation" (many Armenians fled from the regions near the front for fear of what would happen to them if the Turks managed to press foreward - this is not a unique story)
        It is clear that you delight in speaking about things you know nothing much about! Read the words "She says they stayed in Kuban for several years". The only time that the Turks menaced Russian Armenia was in December 1914 and January 1915, and that danger occured so suddenly and in the middle of winter that there were very few refugees. Soon the front line was far to the west and and anyone who had left the border areas would have returned within a few months. The writer of the piece evidently is ignorant of the history of the Kars region and has confused 1915 with 1918, and 1918 with 1920.The "several years" were between 1918 and 1920.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

ok let's just pretend she's not a Genocide survivor then.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
            It is clear that you delight in speaking about things you know nothing much about! Read the words "She says they stayed in Kuban for several years". The only time that the Turks menaced Russian Armenia was in December 1914 and January 1915, and that danger occured so suddenly and in the middle of winter that there were very few refugees.
            Hm - well these accounts (from the "Blue Book") says differently: (and BTW you think you are the expert and know all the facts - but it is clear - not only here but I have seen elsewhere - where you are incorrect in what you think you know to be true...so think again thatyou are the do all and end all expert on all things Armenian genocide related and that any Armenian commontary is worthless - as I have seen you sate numerous times.) And even if her particualr village was not overun - this is immaterial - as she states that they fled - "in anticipation" of the Turks comming - and they obviously were very close and she obviously would not report fleeing if it did not happen...all info is for 1914/15 BTW.

When, in the winter of 1914-15, the Turks took the offensive against the Russians on the Caucasian front, they sent a subsidiary army, reinforced by Kurdish tribesmen, into Azerbaijan. The weak Russian forces occupying the province retired northwards at the beginning of January, and the Turco-Kurdish invaders penetrated as far as Tabriz, while the Nestorian villages on the western side of Lake Urmia remained in their possession for nearly five months. The Russians were followed in their retreat by a considerable part of the Christian population, who suffered terrible hardships on their winter journey. Those that remained behind flocked into the town of Urmia, and were subject to all manner of atrocities during the twenty weeks that the Turks and Kurds controlled the place. The Russians completed the re-occupation of Azerbaijan in May, 1915 ; they entered the town of Urmia on the 24th May, five days after their first entry into Van, and freed the people of Salmas and Urmia from their oppressors. But they could not save the communities in the Zab district, who suffered in June the same fate as the Armenians of Bitlis, Moush and Sassoun ; and when the Russians were compelled to evacuate Van again at the end of July, the panic spread from Van to Urmia, and a fresh stream of Nestorian refugees swelled the general exodus of Christians into the Russian Provinces of the Caucasus.

....There are 70,000 or more reported in those regions, not only from Persia, but from Turkey and the border.

At Etchmiadzin and Erivan, across the Russian frontier, the Armenian refugees were joined by the stream of Nestorian fugitives from Urmia, and the total number of Christian exiles in the Caucasus rose to over a hundred and eighty thousand.

In the Vilayet of Erzeroum the deportations began at the end of May and during the first days of June. Reports from a particularly trustworthy source state that, by the 19th May, more than 15,000 Armenians had been deported from Erzeroum, and the neighbouring villages, and that, by the 25th May, the districts of Erzindjan, Keghi and Baibourt had also been "devastated by forced emigration." Our information concerning Erzeroum itself was at first somewhat scanty, but since its capture by the Russians it has been visited by representatives of various relief organisations in the Caucasus, who have obtained circumstantial accounts of what happened in the city and the surrounding villages. They report that, out of an Armenian population estimated at 400,000(64) souls for the Vilayets of Erzeroum and Bitlis, not more than 8,000-10,000 have survived ---in other words, that 98 per cent. of the Armenians in these vilayets have been either deported or massacred.

According to information obtained by Mr. Sarebey, the Dragoman of the Vice-Consulate at Van, from the Armenian Bishop of Erivan and from various other data he has been able to procure on the spot, the number of Armenian refugees in the Caucasus is 173,038

(numbers given for where refugees were located/moved to include) -

Province of Kars:-- Town of Kars and adjacent villages 26,000
            Karakeliss 4,000

Government of Tiflis: City of Tiflis 5,000
            Villages of the district of Tiflis 3,000
            Last edited by winoman; 11-21-2005, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Winocat would be the best fusion ever. Like Gotenks and Gogeta from DBZ.

Comment

Kaghizman was not a village, it was a small town of about 6000 people, mostly Armenian, close to the Turkish border. It was nowhere near Van, or northern Persia (which is what is meant by "Azerbaijan") or anywhere else under Turkish occupation.

Actually I seem be wrong in my assumption that the Turks captured it very briefly in 1915 (at the same time as the battles around Sarikamish were going on). There is no mention of such a capture in Muratoff and Allen. There was a panic in the Kaghizman region in july/august 1915 after the Russian defeat near Malazgirt, (the one which which led to the "evacuation" of Van), because it was where parts of the Russian army retreated to. That brief period would have been the only time, until 1918, that any Armenians in Kaghizman would have considered moving out.

The Urmia massacres BTW are interesting in that they predate the start of the 1915 genocide proper, but have all the characteristics of it.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Makes you wonder WHY there was an evacuation after the Russian defeat???
                  Could it be that the ACTIVE collaborators against their sovereign were afraid that the Turks would act on a similar loyalty and humanity basis as that of the Armenian rebels?

Comment

Originally posted by loveataturk
                    Makes you wonder WHY there was an evacuation after the Russian defeat???
                    Could it be that the ACTIVE collaborators against their sovereign were afraid that the Turks would act on a similar loyalty and humanity basis as that of the Armenian rebels?
                    A$hole - what TF happened to all the Armenians in Anatolia huh dumb$hit. Oh why would Armenians evacuate when news that the Turks were rolling it occured eh? Are you really so stupid as you make out to be?

Comment

Working...
                    X