Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Rep. Pallone Welcomes Amb. Evans' Remarks Recognizing The Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. Pallone Welcomes Amb. Evans' Remarks Recognizing The Armenian Genocide

REP. PALLONE WELCOMES AMB. EVANS' REMARKS RECOGNIZING THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

Delivers Powerful Speech on Floor of the U.S. House

WASHINGTON, DC
    – Speaking on the floor of the U.S. House, Congressional Armenian Caucus Co-Chair Frank Pallone (D-NJ) tonight welcomed public statements made last week by U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Marshall Evans, in which he properly described Ottoman Turkey's systematic massacres of the Armenians between 1915-1923 as "genocide," reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA). The Ambassador yesterday issued a statement in which he re-characterized his remarks as his personal views.

In a speech on the House floor, Rep. Pallone shared with his colleagues that Ambassador Evans, who he noted had studied Russian history at Yale and Columbia and Ottoman history at the Kennan Institute, had repeatedly and openly discussed the Armenian Genocide in his public statements during his recently concluded tour of Armenian American communities. He noted that, "Breaking with a pattern on the part of the State Department of using alternative and evasive terminology for the Armenian Genocide, Ambassador Evans pointed out that, and I quote, 'No American official has ever denied it.'"

Congressman Pallone added: "Amb. Evans was merely recounting the historical record, which has been attested to by over 120 Holocaust and genocide scholars from around the world. In so doing, he was merely giving a name - the accurate description of "genocide" - to this very Administration’s statements on the issue. President Bush, on April 24th of each of the last four years, when commemorating the Armenian Genocide, has used the textbook definition of genocide - with words and phrases such as 'annihilation,' and 'forced exile and murder.' Before him, President Reagan used the word 'genocide' in 1981 when describing the annihilation of over 1.5 million Armenians. In the days of the Genocide, our U.S. Ambassador, then Henry Morgenthau had the courage to speak out against the atrocities, which he stated were a planned and systematic effort to annihilate an entire race."

The New Jersey Congressman closed his remarks by stressing that he wanted to his name and voice “to all those who, like Ambassador Evans, know the truth and speak in plainly when discussing the Armenian Genocide."

"Armenian Americans, throughout New Jersey and across the nation, welcome Congressman Pallone's remarks in support of official U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide and in defense of all those who are working to bring an end to U.S. complicity in the denial of this crime against all humanity," said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the ANCA. "We value Congressman Pallone's tireless determination, his years of hard work, and - in response to this latest controversy - his clear and principled defense of U.S. officials who will no longer be deterred from speaking the truth about the crime of genocide."

Rep. Pallone’s comments came a day after a statement released by Amb. Evans, expressing concerns about a "misunderstanding" regarding his comments made at a series of public Armenian American community outreach events in Boston, New York, New Jersey, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Fresno and Washington, DC. During his presentations in these cities, the Ambassador spoke with a level of candor on the Armenian Genocide that was specifically welcomed by Armenian Americans. Specifically, during his public presentation at the University of California, Berkeley, hosted by Armenian Studies Program Executive Director, Prof. Stephan Astourian, Evans announced, "I will today call it the Armenian Genocide.” The Ambassador, who has studied Russian History at Yale and Columbia universities and Ottoman History at the Kennan Institute, argued that, “we, the US government, owe you, our fellow citizens a more frank and honest way of discussing this problem. Today, as someone who's studied it... There's no doubt in my mind what happened."

In a statement posted on the Embassy's website (www.usa.am) yesterday, Amb. Evans noted that his remarks regarding the Armenian Genocide were his private views and did not reflect a change in official U.S. government policy.

#####
    ANCA

Widespread Outrage Over News of U.S. Ambassador Evans' RecallBy Harut Sassounian

Commentary

By Harut Sassounian
    Publisher, The California Courier
    I reported last week that the State Department had decided to recall Amb.
    John Evans from Armenia for having acknowledged the Armenian Genocide last
    year. This callous decision has outraged Armenians worldwide and angered
    many members of Congress.
    By sheer coincidence, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew
    Bryza was in Armenia the day after my column was posted on the Internet.
    During a press conference in Yerevan, journalists repeatedly asked Bryza
    and Evans to comment on the recall decision. The two diplomats made a
    delicate dance around the subject, neither denying nor confirming the news.
    Since some of their comments were distorted because of mistranslation or
    inaccurate reporting, here is the transcript of what they actually said in
    English:
    When a journalist asked Bryza in Armenian if Amb. Evans was being
    "recalled," the Embassy staff mistranslated the question to: "Is it true
    that Amb. Evans is retiring?" Mr. Bryza answered: "~Eregarding Amb. Evans,
    he can certainly comment on his own plans to retire, which I hope are
    nonexistent, because he is a fantastic ambassador. He, like all of us,
    serves at the pleasure of the President of the United States. I used to
    work for the President's staff; and one thing I learned is that I will not
    speak about any decision of the President -- it is up to the President to
    make his decisions. I advise him, but he makes the decisions, including
    [those] on personnel~E."
    Amb. Evans then added: "~E I want to echo what Mr. Bryza said. We all serve
    at the pleasure of the President. I hope nobody expects any ambassador to
    stay forever~Ethe fact of the matter is that I do not know when I will be
    leaving Armenia and I have not submitted my retirement papers. And I'll add
    one other thing and that is: as long as I am the ambassador here, until the
    day I step on the plane, I will be in charge of this mission." Bryza then
    added: "Which we hope will be as late as possible."
    The news of the Ambassador's recall was prominently featured on Armenian TV
    stations that night and subsequently reported by wire services and
    newspapers in Armenia, Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Turkey.
    During State Dept.'s daily news briefings on March 8, 10 and 13, a
    spokesman was repeatedly asked to confirm the recall of Amb. Evans.
    Reporters were given evasive answers with a promise "to look into it."
    Finally, in the afternoon of the March 13, the State Dept. issued the
    following written response to the journalists' insistent questions, giving
    the same evasive answer: "Question: What is the status of U.S. Ambassador
    to Armenia Evans? Was he recalled for statements acknowledging the Armenian
    'genocide'? Answer: U.S. Ambassadors serve at the pleasure of the
    President. Amb. Evans and his capable team have the full confidence of the
    administration."
    The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) issued a press release on
    March 8, announcing that its chairman had written a toughly worded letter
    to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice asking her to address reports that
    Amb. Evans is being forced from office for acknowledging the Armenian
    Genocide. "The prospect that a U.S. envoy's posting - and possibly his
    career - has been cut short due to his honest and accurate description of a
    genocide is profoundly offensive to American values," wrote ANCA's Chairman
    Ken Hachikian. "It would also represent a new low in our government's
    shameful complicity in the Turkish government's campaign of denial ~E by
    muzzling and punishing an American diplomat for his speech and his
    acknowledgement of a genocide," Hachikian wrote.
    Cong. Grace Napolitano (Dem. of Calif.) submitted a pointed question to
    Assistant Secretary of State Dan Fried on March 8, while he was testifying
    before the House International Relations Committee, on whether any
    restrictions are placed on State Dept. officials concerning their use of
    the term "genocide" when referring to the Armenian Genocide. She also asked
    for confirmation on whether Amb. Evans was being recalled because of his
    remarks on the Armenian Genocide. Dan Fried was asked to respond in
    writing.
    Cong. Frank Pallone (Dem. of New Jersey), the Co-Chairman of the
    Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues, wrote to Secretary Rice on March
    11, expressing his extreme disappointment over reports of the recall of
    Amb. Evans. He told her that he is "outraged that the State Dept. is