Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Çiçek unmoved on Armenian conference - PART II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Çiçek unmoved on Armenian conference - PART II

Çiçek unmoved on Armenian conference - PART II

Çicek: My opinion hasn't changed about the Armenian conference

Justice Ministry's Cicek calls on nationalists to protest against the conference

Claiming that irresponsible broadcasts and reports by the media have provoked social tension based on ethnic discrimination, Cicek said that the govt has remained silent to prevent such incidents and to keep them out of the public eye

Justice Minister Cemil Cicek said that he hasn't changed his mind about the Armenian Conference, postponed in April and now scheduled for next month bringing the issue to for once more. Cicek remarked that such a tendentious and a narrow-scoped conference couldn't be of a scientific approach. The minister is imploring those who deny the "genocide" to protest against the conference, as well as political parties and associations with "nationalism" in their names. He also wants scientists and intellectuals to follow suit. Defending the idea that irresponsible broadcasts and reports by the media have provoked social tension over Turkish-Kurdish discrimination, Cicek clarified why the government has remained silent on these events saying that it's an attempt to prevent such incidents and to keep them off the agenda.

The justice minister spoke to TNA:

TNA: You protested against the Armenian conference by saying that it's tendentious and succeeded in postponing it. However now the conference will be held at the personal request of the premier. What do you think about what's happened?

CICEK: No, no. I don't ever get involved in disputes with the prime minister. I'm a man of my word. That conference wasn't aiming to search for the truth. Now we'll have another opportunity to see whether it's tendentious or whether it encompasses different opinions. When the conference was again brought to public attention, I phoned many people. For instance, I called Yusuf Halacoglu (head of the Turkish Historical Society, TTK) and he said that he hadn't been invited. What's this conference supposed to be then? Is a gathering of those who share the same idea or a search for truth? This is what I think.

TNA: The government seems to be indulging in a bit of opportunism. It's trying to use the conference as a platform that could reshape Turkey's image before Oct. 3.

CICEK: No, no. I'm just giving my opinion and I'll go on talking. The "genocide" claims will be irresponsibly imposed on this country and in return no one will have a say. I wonder for how long the public will go on like this without saying anything. If there are people who are offended by the so-called Armenian genocide, then they should say so. I don't think that people have voiced their opinions enough.

TNA: You're calling on the public to protest against the conference. However, isn't there a chance that you'll provoke them?

CICEK: All of my statements are made within the legal framework. Everyone should get up and say out loud what they think in a civilized manner. It's not enough for just one person to voice an opinion on everyone's behalf. People should voice their opinions within legal boundaries. I mean, the public shouldn't wait for the justice minister to lash out.

TNA: Have you ever discussed this issue with Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Gul?

CICEK: No, he issued his own statement. He said that he would attend the conference if its participation were widened. What he means by 'widened participation' doesn't concern the number of those there but rather the variety of participants' opinions. Let's see whether or not different opinions will be represented at the conference. Until now though there's been no indication of this. Why would this be Cemil Cicek's issue? There are hundreds of historians and academics in this country. Everyone should voice their opinions, without affronting others or proposing illegal activities, to show their sensitivity to the issue. There are parties and associations which have "nationalist" phrases in their names and people who have adopted nationalistic views. They shouldn't take this lying down.

TNA: What do you expect from Oct. 3?

CICEK: We're waiting for the talks to be set out. It's expected to be a very tough period. If those against Turkey's full European Union membership come to power then things will be harder than before. However we've been given a promise by the EU. They go back on their word. We believe that the accession talks will start.

TNA: If the negotiations don't start, does Turkey have any other options than the EU?

CICEK: We haven't come to that point yet so it's inappropriate to comment on it. Otherwise we would be opening the way for those who are anti-Turkey. We've kept our promises. If they don't keep theirs then how can they talk about modern values?

TNA: As discussed at the last National Security Council (MGK) meeting, are you worried about potential threats to our neighbors Iran and Iraq in the short term?

CICEK: Every development in Iraq already concerns Turkey. Developments in Iran not only concern Turkey but the whole world, such as the use of atomic energy. Our desire is to establish peace through meetings without causing tension. I think this is what globalization means. Even when you don't have any effect on or have contribution to make to an issue, the consequences could also affect you. For instance, if you've predicted that a barrel of petrol will cost a maximum of $40 while drawing up the budget, but it shoots up to $70 a barrel, you could be negatively affected by the increase in price, especially as Turkey is a petrol importer. They're our neighbors and developments, whether good or bad, affect us too. We always hope for the best.

TNA: There's been serious public tension recently. Does it concern you?

CICEK: Even if there is a problem, if you exaggerate it, the problem will become grow out of proportion. The media has real responsibility on this issue. If you repeat reports of an event 50 times, exaggerating them, then people may be provoked. I'm not accusing the media but they have a big role in raising or lowering tension. If events are reported on without being exaggerated, then they'll remain local and the problem can be solved by the security forces. The same scenes of incidents are broadcast at least 50 times a day on TV programs. There are some programs that behave irresponsibly. Of course, we [political figures] have also made some irresponsible statements.

TNA: Don't you think that the government is partly responsible for some of this? The government gives the impression that it's out of touch with the public and appears to underestimate incidents based on ethnic discrimination which are spreading regionally.

CICEK: No, this isn't true. How can you conclude that we haven't noticed? Asking questions is easy but the answers aren't always that easy. You can't drive me into a corner with your questions! A statement such as that, claiming we didn't take heed of incidents, is all wrong. If you place too much focus on an issue, then you're leaving the door wide open for an issue to be overexposed. Medical experts once warned me, while I was preparing an anti-drug campaign, that if the publicity was overdone then it could backfire and have a reverse effect. If we discuss this issue too much then we could well increase the number of such incidents.

Link

So pretty much he's saying, you are not a nationalist unless you deny the Armenian genocide... who cares what you base your statement on, as long as you deny it, you're a good man! Which reminds me of this poster:

Comment

Turks lost the Plot big time!

Comment

Working...
      X