Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Obama Recognizes Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Recognizes Armenian Genocide

OBAMA RECOGNIZES 'GENOCIDE OF ARMENIANS'

AzerNews, Azerbaijan
    Aug 8 2005

US Senator Barack Obama has recognized the so-called 'genocide of
    Armenians'.

"I believe the letter sent by the Senators to President George Bush
    to recognize the genocide of Armenians reflects historic facts", said
    Obama, who co-signed the appeal. The Senator told journalists in Baku
    that the document indicates that thousands of innocent Armenians were
    killed in the mentioned developments. "By signing the letter, I also
    defended the interests of the State of Illinois I represent. Killing
    civilians anywhere in the world should not be allowed." Asked whether
    he is aware of the horrible massacre of Azerbaijanis by Armenian
    thugs in Khojali, the Senator simply replied that he is informed
    of the problems in the region that have persisted for many years,
    reiterating that he opposes the killings of civilians.

FUNNY how they're comparing Khojali with the Armenian genocide! hahaha

btw I just found out Armenians weren't even responsible for kojali, or at least there is no proof of Armenians being responsible for it. The evidence says it was their own Azeri government. BUT Azeris thugs have savagely killed and set afire many Armenians in Sumgait! Why did they not ask Obama about Sumgait?

Comment

U.S Presidential Candidate Barack Obama

Barack Obama on the Importance of US-Armenia Relations

January 19, 2008

I am proud of my strong record on issues of concern to the one and a half million Americans of Armenian heritage in the United States. I warmly welcome the support of this vibrant and politically active community as we change how our government works here at home, and restore American leadership abroad.

I am a strong supporter of a U.S.-Armenian relationship that advances our common security and strengthens Armenian democracy. As President, I will maintain our assistance to Armenia, which has been a reliable partner in the fight against terrorism and extremism. I will promote Armenian security by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and by working for a lasting and durable settlement of the Nagorno Karabagh conflict that is agreeable to all parties, and based upon America's founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination. And my Administration will help foster Armenia's growth and development through expanded trade and targeted aid, and by strengthening the commercial, political, military, developmental, and cultural relationships between the U.S. and Armenian governments.

I also share with Armenian Americans – so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors - a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgement of the Armenian Genocide. Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term "genocide" to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Genocide, sadly, persists to this day, and threatens our common security and common humanity. Tragically, we are witnessing in Sudan many of the same brutal tactics - displacement, starvation, and mass slaughter - that were used by the Ottoman authorities against defenseless Armenians back in 1915. I have visited Darfurian refugee camps, pushed for the deployment of a robust multinational force for Darfur, and urged divestment from companies doing business in Sudan. America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President.

I look forward, as President, to continuing my active engagement with Armenian American leaders on the full range of issues of concern to the Armenian American community. Together, we will build, in new and exciting ways, upon the enduring ties and shared values that have bound together the American and Armenian peoples for more than a century.

source

Comment

Armenian National Committee of America

1711 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036
        Tel. (202) 775-1918 * Fax. (202) 775-5648 * [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release ~ 2008-01-20

BARACK OBAMA CALLS FOR PASSAGE OF ARMENIAN GENOCIDE RESOLUTION

“America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President.”

WASHINGTON, DC – Presidential candidate Barack Obama shared with the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) a strongly worded statement today calling for Congressional passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 & S.Res.106), and pledging that, as president, he will recognize the Armenian Genocide.

In his statement, the Presidential hopeful reaffirmed his support for a strong “U.S.-Armenian relationship that advances our common security and strengthens Armenian democracy.” He also pledged to “promote Armenian security by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and by working for a lasting and durable settlement of the Nagorno Karabagh conflict that is agreeable to all parties, and based upon America’s founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination.”

“Armenian American voters welcome Senator Obama’s powerful call for real change in how our government addresses the core moral and foreign policy issues that hold such great meaning for our community,” said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian. “After decades of White House complicity in Turkey’s efforts to block American recognition of the Armenian Genocide, most recently in the form of President Bush’s personal efforts this past October to delay the Armenian Genocide Resolution, the time has clearly come for a President who will personally lead – not obstruct – the commemoration of this crime against all humanity.”

As a Senator, Barack Obama has spoken in support of U.S. affirmation of the Armenian Genocide and cosigned a letter urging President Bush to properly recognize the Armenian Genocide. He has forcefully called for the adoption of the Armenian Genocide Resolution, but has yet to formally cosponsor this legislation. While visiting Azerbaijan in August 2005, Senator Obama was asked by reporters why he cosigned the letter to President Bush. Obama defended his decision by stating the genocide was a historical fact. The Illinois Senator publicly criticized the firing of former U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Evans, who was dismissed for speaking truthfully about the Armenian Genocide.

In recent weeks, the ANCA has invited each of the candidates to share their views on Armenian Americans issues, and to comment on both the growing relationship between the U.S. and Armenian governments and the enduring bonds between the American and Armenian peoples. Questionnaires sent to the candidates have invited them to respond to a set of 19 questions, including those addressing: affirmation of the Armenian Genocide, U.S.-Armenia economic, political, and military relations, self-determination for Nagorno Karabagh, the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and the genocide in Darfur.

Armenian Americans, in key primary states and throughout the country, represent a motivated and highly networked constituency of more than one and a half million citizens. The ANCA mobilizes Armenian American voters through a network of over 50 chapters and a diverse array of affiliates, civic advocates, and supporters nationwide. ANCA mailings reach over a quarter of a million homes, and, through the internet, updates and action alerts reach well over 100,000 households. The ANCA website, which features election coverage from an Armenian American point of view, attracts over 100,000 unique visits a month. The ANCA also has broad reach to Armenian American voters via a sophisticated media operation of newspapers, regional cable shows, satellite TV, blogs, and internet news sites.

To learn more about the Obama campaign, contact:

Obama for America
        P.O. Box 8102
        Chicago, IL 60680
        Tel: (866) 675-2008

Sen. Obama’s statement on U.S.-Armenia relations is available on the official campaign website.

As always, the ANCA welcomes feedback on its service to the Armenian American community. Please forward your thoughts and suggestions about the 2008 Presidential election by email to [email protected].

source

Comment

Like George Bush and all the presidents they all lie. They say it to gain our support and go lie and not recognize it.

Someone should say, 'how can you prove that you are not like the rest? trying to gain our support than not doing what you promised to do to a people who are looking for justice".

Comment

Commentary
            Presidential Candidates should be Asked
            For More Than Just Genocide Affirmation
            By Harut Sassounian
            Publisher, The California Courier
            In every U.S. presidential election for the past several decades,
            Armenian-Americans, including this writer, have gone to great lengths to make sure that
            they supported the candidate that acknowledged the Armenian Genocide during
            the campaign and, even more importantly, promised to do so after the election.
            This was a worthwhile effort as it encouraged political participation by
            the Armenian American community in the presidential elections and transformed
            the Armenian Genocide into a national campaign issue. There were, on occasion,
            heated debates among Armenians as to which candidate had the strongest record
            on the Armenian Genocide and which one was most likely to carry out his
            campaign promise.
            But, alas, almost all of the presidential candidates, be they Democrats or
            Republicans, after benefiting from the Armenian community's lavish campaign
            contributions and their votes, either forgot about this subject altogether or
            issued annual commemorative statements on April 24, substituting various
            euphemisms for the word genocide. For example, Presidents Clinton and Bush,when they
            were candidates, promised in writing that, if elected, they would officially
            acknowledge the Armenian Genocide. Not only did they fail to keep their word
            upon election, but went ahead and vehemently opposed and obstructed the
            adoption of non-binding commemorative congressional resolutions that intended to
            acknowledge the Armenian Genocide.
            As another presidential campaign is underway now and a few states have
            already held their primary elections, once again members of the Armenian-American
            community have started asking the same old question: Which candidate has
            acknowledged the Armenian Genocide and which one is most likely to utter the words
            Armenian Genocide after he or she becomes President?
            I suggest that this year Armenian Americans adopt a new approach. U.S.
            Presidential candidates should no longer be asked to promise that, if elected,
            they would say "Armenian Genocide." To begin with, such a request gives thefalse
            impression that the genocide is not recognized already and that a candidate's
            or a future president's uttering of this word will make a significant
            difference in the pursuit of the Armenian Cause. Do American-Jewish groups demand
            that presidential candidates promise to say "Jewish Holocaust" after the
            election? Of course not. Such a request would automatically raise a question as to why
            the next president needs to confirm that the Holocaust occurred. The same
            argument would apply to the Armenian Genocide.
            After decades of struggle for the recognition of the Armenian Genocide by
            parliaments of scores of countries, twice by the U.S. House of Representative
            in 1975 and 1984, by the European Parliament, a United Nations human rights
            committee, and hundreds of Genocide and Holocaust scholars, why would Armenian
            Americans put such an overwhelming record of acknowledgment in doubt by asking a
            US president to acknowledge it?
            Furthermore, a very prominent U.S. President, Ronald Reagan, did
            acknowledge the Armenian Genocide back in 1981 in a Presidential Proclamation. What
            would Armenians gain if another president simply repeated what has already been
            said by his or her predecessor more than 25 years ago?
            Armenians should treat the Armenian Genocide as an acknowledged fact
            similar to the Holocaust. And just as no candidate could even think of running for
            the highest office of the land if he or she denies the Holocaust, the same
            should be true for the Armenian Genocide.
            Due to years of admirable efforts by the Armenian-American community,
            almost all of the presidential candidates have a clear record of acknowledging the
            Armenian Genocide (particularly Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards
            and Rudy Giuliani; less so John McCain, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney).
            Of course, Armenians would not be opposed to having presidential candidates
            reaffirm the Armenian Genocide. Candidates realize that such supportive
            statements would benefit their own campaigns as Armenian Americans would back them
            for simply telling the truth.
            What requests should Armenians present to U.S. presidential candidates? In
            recent weeks, two Armenian American organizations sent questionnaires to all
            the presidential candidates and asked for their positions on the following
            issues:
            -- Commemorating the Armenian Genocide
            -- Giving more Foreign Aid to Armenia and Artsakh (Nagorno Karabagh)
            -- Placing restrictions on U.S. aid to Azerbaijan
            -- Lifting of the Turkish blockade of Armenia
            -- Self-determination for Artsakh
            -- Presidential Visit to Armenia
            -- Appointment of qualified Armenian-Americans to governmental positions.
            I would add one more issue: Denouncing violations of Armenian minority
            rights in Turkey.
            Once the candidates confirm their positions on these issues,
            Armenian-American voters can then make an informed decision on whom to support in the next
            presidential election.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

And here is Obama's official statement--- Excellent!!!

By admin - Posted on January 22nd, 2008

Tagged: 2008 Presidential election • Armenia • Barack Obama • Foreign Policy • Politics

January 19, 2008 -- Barack Obama: I am proud of my strong record on issues of concern to the one and a half million Americans of Armenian heritage in the United States. I warmly welcome the support of this vibrant and politically active community as we change how our government works here at home, and restore American leadership abroad.

I am a strong supporter of a U.S.-Armenian relationship that advances our common security and strengthens Armenian democracy. As President, I will maintain our assistance to Armenia, which has been a reliable partner in the fight against terrorism and extremism. I will promote Armenian security by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and by working for a lasting and durable settlement of the Nagorno Karabagh conflict that is agreeable to all parties, and based upon America's founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination. And my Administration will help foster Armenia's growth and development through expanded trade and targeted aid, and by strengthening the commercial, political, military, developmental, and cultural relationships between the U.S. and Armenian governments.

I also share with Armenian Americans – so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors - a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgement of the Armenian Genocide. Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term "genocide" to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Genocide, sadly, persists to this day, and threatens our common security and common humanity. Tragically, we are witnessing in Sudan many of the same brutal tactics - displacement, starvation, and mass slaughter - that were used by the Ottoman authorities against defenseless Armenians back in 1915. I have visited Darfurian refugee camps, pushed for the deployment of a robust multinational force for Darfur, and urged divestment from companies doing business in Sudan. America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President.

I look forward, as President, to continuing my active engagement with Armenian American leaders on the full range of issues of concern to the Armenian American community. Together, we will build, in new and exciting ways, upon the enduring ties and shared values that have bound together the American and Armenian peoples for more than a century.

Source: Obama for America
              General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post

By admin - Posted on January 22nd, 2008

Tagged: 2008 Presidential election • Armenia • Barack Obama • Foreign Policy • Politics

January 19, 2008 -- Barack Obama: I am proud of my strong record on issues of concern to the one and a half million Americans of Armenian heritage in the United States. I warmly welcome the support of this vibrant and politically active community as we change how our government works here at home, and restore American leadership abroad.

Source: Obama for America
                There have been many politicians that have pandered to the Armenian-American comunity only to reneg once in office. However, I feel that Obama may not fall into this pattern. His statement is very strongly worded and I think he is understanding the growing power of the Armenian lobby and "half million Americans of Armenian heritage".

Also, the fact that he confirmed his recognition of the Armenian genocide while in Azerbaijan, bodes well too.

...Compare this to Hillary's stance in the face of a Turkish audience:

HILLARY CLINTON: TURK LOBBYISTS SHOULD WORK HARD

NEW YORK, MAY 14, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. American Senator
                Hillary Clinton in her conversation with Turkish businessman Sadettin
                Saran expressed an opinion that the resolution on Armenian Genocide
                will not be adopted at the Congress.

According to Turkish press, during the conversation held after the
                dinner organized in New York in honor of Hillary Klinton, touching
                upon the issue of Armenian Genocide, S. Saran said: "We are very
                sensitive in this issue. You saddened us very much when you started to
                support the resolution on Armenian Genocide."

In response, H. Clinton said: "Armenian lobbying has been negotiating
                with me for that bill for nearly three years. But the Turks have not
                tried to speak to me over that issue at all. You should carry out
                long lobbying activity and not leave everything to the last moment. It
                is necessary that you work hard in this issue. But don't worry, I
                think this resolution will not be adopted."

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
                  There have been many politicians that have pandered to the Armenian-American comunity only to reneg once in office. However, I feel that Obama may not fall into this pattern. His statement is very strongly worded and I think he is understanding the growing power of the Armenian lobby and "half million Americans of Armenian heritage".

Also, the fact that he confirmed his recognition of the Armenian genocide while in Azerbaijan, bodes well too.

...Compare this to Hillary's stance in the face of a Turkish audience:

HILLARY CLINTON: TURK LOBBYISTS SHOULD WORK HARD

NEW YORK, MAY 14, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. American Senator
                  Hillary Clinton in her conversation with Turkish businessman Sadettin
                  Saran expressed an opinion that the resolution on Armenian Genocide
                  will not be adopted at the Congress.

According to Turkish press, during the conversation held after the
                  dinner organized in New York in honor of Hillary Klinton, touching
                  upon the issue of Armenian Genocide, S. Saran said: "We are very
                  sensitive in this issue. You saddened us very much when you started to
                  support the resolution on Armenian Genocide."

In response, H. Clinton said: "Armenian lobbying has been negotiating
                  with me for that bill for nearly three years. But the Turks have not
                  tried to speak to me over that issue at all. You should carry out
                  long lobbying activity and not leave everything to the last moment. It
                  is necessary that you work hard in this issue. But don't worry, I
                  think this resolution will not be adopted."

Hillary has always wavered on the issue...just like every other issue.
                  I actually trust Obama because even when he was in Baku as part of a Congressional mission, and was put under duress and pressure by the Azeri media regarding his support of the Genocide resolution, he never wavered and the Azeris were livid. He also has Samantha Power on his international relations staff as well as Schiff from California. No neo-cons there.

Comment

RECEP TAYYIP ERDOGAN CALLS BARACK OBAMA POLITICAL DILETTANTE

Azeri Press Agency
                    Jan 22 2008
                    Azerbaijan

Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan claimed Democratic presidential
                    candidate Barack Obama , APA's Turkey bureau reports

Erdogan stated that Obama's promise on recognition of so-called
                    Armenian genocide cause damage to the relations of US-Turkey in the
                    meeting of Justice and Development party (AKP).

"The relations between Turkey and US will not be sacrificed to bad
                    campaigns of lobbies. He has got political dilettante problem for
                    this candidacy. We advice him to solve this problem," he said.

Obama answered the appeal of Armenian National Committee of America,
                    saying that if he is elected President he will recognize Armenian
                    genocide.

"If I was President, I would try to stop blockade of Armenia by Turkey
                    and Azerbaijan for the purpose of strengthening security of Armenia,"
                    he said.

Comment

Working...
                    X