Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

From Hovik's Inbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Hovik's Inbox

Some of you may wish to read the column which just appeared in the September issue of
    the American Historical Association's?magazine, PROSPECTIVES, which explains the decision?
    last June of the?AHA council to protest to Prime Minister Erdogan the cancellation of the Istanbul Conference.

The piece, in the form of the brief monthly column by the current president, James Sheehan, is set?in terms of a discussion of "Contested Histories." Next to it is the letter the AHA Council wrote to?Prime Minister Erdogan.?

It was written in late May-early June, before it was clear that the conference had only been postponed,
    not cancelled.
    Best,?
    Peggy Anderson

[Passage Omitted by Hovik: Mrs. Anderson's contact info]

Margaret Lavinia Anderson
    Professor of History
    University of California-Berkeley

Some Disturbing E-mails

I got this e-mail and it's response in my inbox. The e-mail was addressed to some major Armenian Organizations and community members.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Armenian Diaspora!

Your cries of "vicious personal attack" show that you have no stomach for the truth.
    My dear Friends, he who lives by the sword, must be prepared to die by the sword.
    You haven't seen anything yet. If you think that Prof. Ozan is bad, wait until you
    see something really bad. The monster "B?icht" you have created is going to
    destroy you one day. The Turks are never half as bad as the terrible imagination
    you carry with you in your hearts.

You are all educated and clever people. Don't you know that, to every action, there
    is an opposite and equal reaction? In fact, with the Turks, this opposite reaction is
    mostly not equal but much much stronger. If you don't believe me, ask your Greek
    friends, they can tell you more about it. They have tasted it in Inonu, Sakarya, Izmir
    and more recently in Cyprus.

The aim of my letter is really not to scare you, but, to help you get rid of your
    deep rooted Turkophobia. I sincerely hope that it will help you break away from
    age-old scepticism, propaganda and slander that creates phobia and friction in
    your hearts and minds, thus denying Armenians the benefit of friendly relations to
    neighbouring countries. Don't forget that, you may be related to the Christian
    West by way of your religion, but, you are surrounded by Muslim Turks, who
    mean you no harm. Otherwise, there wouldn't be an Armenain Community in
    Istanbul, and there wouldn't be 50.000 Armenain Guest-Workers earning a
    Living in Turkey. You can choose your frinds but not your brothers and neighbours!
    I went to school with Armenian youngsters and never fellt that they were any
    different than us Turks. Yes, we treated them as brothers, and, God knows it.

We don't hate you, but, if you continue on the misguided course you are on,
    you will need more than friends - God help and bless you.

Yours sincerely

Kufi Seydali
    A Friend

RESPONSE by Maral Der Ohanesian

Dear Kufi,

First of all, I want to thank you for your strong statements in the message below. You made it so clear to any neutral reader that the Armenian Genocide of 1915 is a historical fact.

The Turkish character that your countrymen are trying to hide under a civilized exterior was revealed vividly by you to the whole world and to every single human being who will receive this great confessional piece of writing. They will all know "Who the Turks Really Are"! Bragging about the Genocide against the Greeks that you used to threaten the Armenians with is nothing but an evidence that you and your fellow Turks are not only capable of committing the Crime of Crimes ( The Genocide ), but you are ready to commit it all over again, if need be.

I'm sure that your denial of the fact of the Armenian Genocide is out of ignorance, for if you knew the truth you wouldn't have had the nerve to threaten the Armenians again with another Genocide, with the sword and with the Muslim population that surrounds Armenia.

It was interesting for me that you gave Mr. Ozan the title of Prof. I finally realized why you Turks pay for American Profs. to create a fake cover for your propaganda, because if Mahmut Ozan is an example of your Profs. then you are in desperate need to get Americans' help in creating a convincing story free of grammatical and spelling mistakes.

And by the way as you are in Austria, I suggest you pay a visit to the Austrian National Archive, you might find some answers there, about the Fact of the Armenian Genocide. Yes in your war ally's archive !!

Finally, I will have to remind you that the final chapter isn't written yet. And don't you think that we will be intimidated by your threats. Thank God we are not living under your Genocidal Turkish rule anymore !!!

Enjoy Your Denial,

Maral Der Ohanesian

P.S. I will appreciate it, if you email me the address of the "ostrich hole" that you'll hide your head in when Turkey finally recognize the fact of the Armenian Genocide, I would be interested to take a look.

[Omitted by Hovik: Contact info]

Comment

Oh wow!! Indeed, disturbing email. Mr. Kufi your barbaric nature shows in your email. But you didn't have to write that to prove it to us, we already knew.

I like the response Maral gave him.

Comment

Hovik's Inbox 17-10-05

Dear Group,

I want to respond to Muge¹s call for response about the Armenian Diaspora.
        I have traveled across the USA and in Europe and the Middle East in the past
        7 years with my books, and my sense of the Armenian Diaspora comes in part
        from that experience.

From an intellectual perspective, let me say that it is wrong and misleading
        to essentialize any group of people. I always make a point of noting to my
        audiences that despite Turkish government denial there are large numbers of
        Turkish citizens who do not share their government¹s values.

Let me respond to some of the clichés and stereotypes mentioned by Mr. Oran
        and others. The Armenian Diaspora is not predominantly made up of extreme
        nationalists who hate all Turkish people. As soon as Turkish citizens come
        forward with an ability to accept the realities of 1915, Armenians are for
        the most part open, responsive, and grateful. But it is probably true that
        most Armenian Diasporans do believe that the moral reality of the Armenian
        Genocide is bedrock for opening up human relations with Turkish people.

I have said in print before that I think it is sociologically dishonest and
        emotionally immature to characterize the Armenian Diaspora as Turk-hating
        fanatics who can only think about the Armenian Genocide. The Armenian
        Diaspora is a multi-layered, broad, complex, cosmopolitan community, and a
        community whose identity is shaped to some degree by each country it is part
        of.

I thought Hrank Dink¹s reflection on the Armenian Diaspora that I read last
        spring was completely misinformed. As I am a great supporter of Mr. Dink and
        know that he is a good and brave man, I am not attacking him, but responding
        to his misunderstanding about the Armenian Diaspora. Mr. Dink claimed in a
        talk he gave that the Armenian Diaspora was characterized by ghettoized
        insularity, as if Armenians in Diaspora clung to their ethnic way of life
        and were cut off from the wider world; and in their ghettos they can only
        obsess over the Armenian Genocide.

This is not the case. Armenian Americans, for example, are very much part of
        mainstream American life: generally affluent, professional, in many ways
        all-American. True, they are a culture group that is still influenced by
        certain shared cultural values and rituals and social dynamics, but they are
        not all part of ONE THING. They are religious, they are atheists, they are
        Democrats, they are Republicans; in addition to being successful in
        business, they produce rock Œn roll, jazz, films, write books, teach in
        schools and universities; they root for the local team in baseball and
        football, they may eat more Chinese food and pizza than Armenian food, etc.
        They do not all speak Armenian, or read and write it. They don't march in
        ethnic pride parades, etc.

I will say that most Diaspora Armenians find it difficult to understand
        that the Turkish government has succeeded in socializing its population as
        it has; that the absence of knowledge about the history of the Armenians of
        Anatolia is so great, and that the denial of this history is so monolithic.

I don¹t mean to suggest that Armenian Americans are perfect. They are a real
        mix of things, as all peoples are a mix of things. But, the diasporan
        experience has given them some advantages, most of which they have used
        pretty well. Most Diaspora Armenians have grown up in societies where
        rigorous historical critique is part of the mainstream school curriculum.
        This makes a difference.

It may be worth noting‹as I reflect on this‹that Armenians are often faced
        with negative experiences of Turkish people. For example, when Turkish
        Americans or Turkish students come out in groups to harass and leaflet
        academic lectures on the Armenian Genocide, it leaves a very bad taste in
        the mouths of many-- and not just Armenian Americans.

For example. I was harassed all last year by such Turkish groups--at
        Princeton, University of Connecticut, Museum of Tolerance in LA, and other
        places. Turkish Americans were leafleting, verbally aggressive, full of
        denial and anger. Sadly, this becomes for most Armenian Americans the only
        encounter they have with Turkish people. To say the least, even if Armenian
        Americans understand that these particular people have been socialized this
        way, it is still emotionally shocking to be treated like this. After a
        serious presentation on the Armenian Genocide, and one in which non-Armenian
        scholars have participated, one hopes that the Turkish people in the
        audience might pull back a bit, be a little introspective or thoughtful or
        at least respectful. When this doesn¹t happen, I fear it fuels bad will. It
        reveals that there is no understanding on the part of the Turkish people of
        the dynamics of power and meaning of trauma. One thing I keep telling the
        Turkish people in my audiences is: listen to your writers and scholars, and
        I mention Taner, Muge, Pamuk, Adanir, Berktay, and others. And, I urge them
        to embrace the power of cultural and historical critique and
        self-evaluation.

This makes one aware of how much education has to happen inside Turkey. And,
        so more than ever, I am grateful for the superb work that all of you have
        done and are doing on this history.

Sincerely,

Peter [Balakian]

Comment

Uk Prepares Reply For Turkey's Blue Book Letter

UK PREPARES REPLY FOR TURKEY'S BLUE BOOK LETTER

ARMINFO News Agency
          October 18, 2005

YEREVAN, OCTOBER 18. ARMINFO. The British House of Lords is preparing
          a reply for the letter about the "Blue Book" sent by the Justice and
          Development Party (AKP) and Republican People's Party (CHP) to the
          British Parliament, reports Zaman (Turkey).

The British answer claims that the "Blue Book", which deals with the
          Armenian genocide, is reliable. British Parliament Human Rights Group
          Co-Chair Lord Avebury said that the Turkish Parliament was not informed
          sufficiently about the issue. Therefore, he offered that British and
          Turkish deputies should hold a joint meeting with academicians. The
          answer defends that "Blue Book" nourishes from sufficient sources. "One
          point, which is not taken into consideration in the letter, is the
          fact that documents supporting the book can be easily accessed. On
          the contrary to what the letter claims, Arnold Toynbee did not say
          that the "Blue Book" is inaccurate," it was told.

The Blue Book was written by the British historian Arnold Toynbee
          and was published with the approval of the House of Commons in 1916.

Turkey wants the UK to accept that the book is not telling the truth
          and apologize to Ankara.

Comment

Armenian Radio Station - Yerevan Nights Radio

Dear Friends,

We would like to draw your attention to http://www.YerevanNights.com. We are trying to provide the best Armenian Radio Station. We would like to get some information about Yerevan Nights Radio Please email at [email protected]. We would like to know as a listener how I can make the Radio Station better. If there any requests for a particular music please let us know. If you inquire any problems please email [email protected].

Thank You for all the support

Yerevan Nights Radio Team

Comment

Dear Friends,

Thanks to all of you who are supporters of the scientists, engineers, students and support personnel of the Cosmic Ray Division (CRD) in Armenia at the Mt. Aragats research stations 6,500 ft and 10,500 ft. above sea level. Summer or winter, sunny weather or blizzard, matters not. They work year round to put Armenia among the top 5 countries in the world for Cosmic Ray research, and they do it on a shoe string budget. They make us proud to be Armenian. For more details please visit www.crdfriends.org .

Appreciating the importance of the CRD for Armenia and the world, the best online Armenian gift store has designated the biggest shopping day of the year - Friday after Thanksgiving, November 25, as CRD Day. This means that 15% of the proceeds from ALL the sales on Made In Armenia Direct on that day will be donated to the CRD in Armenia. Please help us out by shopping at WWW.MADEINARMENIADIRECT.COM on November 25 for your Christmas and other gifts.

Attached is also the most recent press release about the CRD which I sent to the papers relating to the Solar Extreme Events Conference in Armenia which drew over 75 scientists from 11 countries and was on NASA's list of important conferences for the space research community.

If you wish to write a note of congratulations or well wishes to Prof. Chilingarian (head of the CRD) or to the CRD staff and students, please visit www.crdfriens.org and click on EMAIL US at the top of the left panel. Prof. Chilingarian has access to this email account. We the friends of CRD would also appreciate your feed back - about the CRD, about Armenian science, or about our website.

As you are thinking about Christmas gifts this year, consider some of the CRD merchandise - a beautiful 2006 calendar with amazing scenery from Armenia, appropriately called "Spectacular Armenia"; or the Armenian miniature gift or wine bags; or any of the other items on our SCACRD MERCHANDISE list accessible from the left panel of the www.crdfriends.org homepage.

I wish you a wonderful holiday season. We truly have a lot to be thankful for. May God bless you and your family.

Best wishes,

Anahid

Comment

Mass. Genocide Case

Dear All,

Crypto|サイポートは、NFT・仮想通貨(暗号資産)について、その魅力と将来性を発信するブログです。始め方、おすすめの取引所、最新ニュースまで、初心者にもわかりやすくまとめています!ぜひ参考にしてください。

I forward to you a link from the WBUR radio site for the
                program "Here & Now". It contains streaming audio regarding
                the Massachusetts lawsuit with interviews by a couple of the
                plaintiffs in the case. If you would like to hear how denial can
                be subtly rationalized by deniers, this is very instructive.

The interview with the history teacher will be especially interesting as
                he cites people like Guenther Lewy, and Bernard Lewis to support
                his position. Also interesting is his reference to German documents
                that show the truth of the Holocaust without any mention by him of the
                wealth of German documents that show the truth of the Armenian Genocide
                - not to mention those of the British, French, US, Turkish, and others.

The fact that the published works of the "scholars" the deniers cite
                regarding this issue do not pass muster when examined critically
                is not even mentioned by anyone.

Pitting one group of historians against another seems to be
                the familiar tack taken by deniers, all the while ignoring the
                most important group of scholars whose specialty is genocide.

This shows how little members of the media know of the field of
                genocide studies itself. They are wholly ignorant that there is even a
                field of genocide studies, an organization of scholars who study
                the phenomenon and who have unanimously affirmed the Armenian
                Genocide which, I might add, has been reaffirmed over and over
                again by every independent deliberative body convened specifically
                to review it.

So how many times must the wheel be reinvented?

Another fallacy rears its head continually in such coverage.
                The idea of "fairness" used this way does nothing but distort the
                concept itself to promote denial and foster further doubt
                and confusion where none should exist.

This plays into the hands of deniers and is a sad comment
                on the state of education on genocide among history teachers.
                Such ignorance plays into the hands of the deniers and does not
                bode well for the education of our young.

Also, the assumption by news persons that a state would ever willingly
                admit to charges of genocide is naive. I never cease to be amazed
                that they always ask the Turkish Government for its "opinion"
                on the subject. What answer would they expect? This I find truly
                incredible and it continues to play into the hands of the deniers.

Lastly and more importantly, none of this serves the interest of promoting
                the democratization of Turkish civil society but merely serves to
                retard the process further leading to the entrenchment of denialist
                rhetoric that in and of itself is self perpetuating and harmful to the
                social and moral growth of the society itself. This, perhaps, is the
                most unfortunate consequence of such denial.

Nothing makes this more apparent than the treatment Orhan Pamuk
                received during and after his appearance in court or that received
                by the members of the EU who were there to observe the trial.

It should therefore be no surprise to anyone if much of Europe
                shudders at the thought of Turkey becoming a member.

Democracy is more than a word. It is an idea. And unless this
                is really understood by those with entrenched ideas and distorted
                concepts of what national pride is and should be, things will never
                change for the better in Turkey.

Richard Kloian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Crypto|サイポートは、NFT・仮想通貨(暗号資産)について、その魅力と将来性を発信するブログです。始め方、おすすめの取引所、最新ニュースまで、初心者にもわかりやすくまとめています!ぜひ参考にしてください。

Was it Genocide?

Story aired: Tuesday, December 13, 2005
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/1px.gif]
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/bt_listen.gif]
                A federal lawsuit filed against education officials in Massachusetts is sparking a new debate about history and how the controversial events are presented to students. The event in question here is known by most historians as the Armenian genocide, who believe that Muslim Turks methodically killed 1.5 million Christian Armenians beginning in 1915.

Turkey has said that the deaths were the unfortunate offshoot of war as Armenians sided with the invading Russians, bringing on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. The lawsuit seeks to restore the Turkish point of view to curriculum guidelines.

Guests:
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] Bill Schechter, teacher of American history at Lincoln-Sudbury High School in Massachusetts
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] William Keylor, professor of history and international relations at Boston University and director of the International History Institute

[http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] Armenian Genocide Resources for Teachers
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] Wikipedia: Armenian Genocide
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] BBC News: Timeline: Armenia
                [http://www.here-now.org/hn_images/icon_arrow.gif] The Middle East Quarterly: Revisiting the Armenian Genocide

Comment

Women among five held for plot to kill Turkish governor

Print
                  [
                  Copyright (c) 2005 The Daily Star

Tuesday, December 27, 2005
                  Women among five held for plot to kill Turkish governor

By Agence France Presse (AFP)

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey: Turkish police detained five people Monday on suspicion of plotting to assassinate the governor of the mainly Kurdish eastern province of Van on New Year's Eve, local security officials said. The operation in Van city was carried out jointly by anti-terror police and intelligence units. The detainees, among them two women, were suspected of plotting to assassinate Van Governor Niyazi Tanilir and other local officials, the sources said.

The police also seized a pistol, explosives and about 200 bullets in the homes of the suspects. There was no immediate word on whether the suspects belonged to any outlawed group.

The separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), blacklisted as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the European Union and the United States, is active in the region and has attacked government targets in the past.

In a separate operation, a man suspected of aiding the PKK was detained in the province of Sirnak, on the border with Iraq, local officials said Monday. In the home of the suspect, the police discovered a kilogram of plastic explosives and a mobile telephone devised as a remote-control detonator, thought to have been destined for PKK attacks on the security forces.

Unrest in Turkey's mainly Kurdish eastern and southeastern provinces has markedly increased this year after the PKK called off a five-year unilateral ceasefire in June 2004. The Kurdish conflict in Turkey has claimed some 37,000 lives since the PKK took up arms in 1984. - AFP

Copyright (c) 2005 The Daily Star

Comment

Erdogan Vows To Carry On With Reforms To Create Free Society

ERDOGAN VOWS TO CARRY ON WITH REFORMS TO CREATE FREE SOCIETY

TDN
                    Thursday, December 29, 2005

The government, embattled by European and domestic criticism of a
                    deterioration in freedoms, pledged yesterday to press ahead with
                    reforms as part of Turkey's drive to join the European Union.

"Our main issue is to complete as soon as possible the reforms and
                    structural transformation, as part of the negotiation process, that
                    are necessary to achieve a society with free thought and conscience,
                    something that also constitutes the basis of the EU," Prime Minister
                    Recep Tayyip Erdogan said at a meeting here yesterday.

The government made EU membership a top priority after coming to power
                    in late 2002 and has carried out sweeping political and economic
                    reforms to bring Turkey closer to EU standards since then. But a
                    number of legal proceedings launched against authors, scholars and
                    activists have recently put Turkey under the international spotlight
                    and raised questions in the EU over the government's commitment to
                    freedom of expression.

Novelist Orhan Pamuk, an often-mentioned candidate for this year's
                    Nobel Prize, is the most popular person facing trial for expressing
                    opinions. Prosecutors say his remarks that "1 million Armenians and
                    30,000 Kurds were killed in these lands" in February constituted an
                    offense under Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK), covering
                    "insulting Turkishness and state institutions."

Erdogan said Turkey should avoid isolating itself from the world
                    by confining itself to baseless fears as the world evolves at an
                    amazingly rapid pace and called on society to take the initiative in
                    producing information.

"We, as the government, are determined to remove all obstacles
                    standing in front of freedom of expression and freedom to produce,"
                    Erdogan said.

Countdown begins for membership:

Turkey opened long-awaited accession talks with the EU on Oct. 3, but
                    a regular progress report released in November criticized deficiencies
                    in a number of areas, most notably freedom of expression.

The criticism comes amid public concerns in Europe over Turkey's
                    eventual entry into the EU. Public discontent and official criticism
                    has weakened Turkish hopes for accession into the EU. A recently
                    concluded public opinion poll showed that less Turks believed that
                    Turkey's future lies in the EU. Some 55 percent said Turkey had a
                    future in Europe, according to the International Strategic Research
                    Organization, down from 61 percent last year.

Erdogan dismissed fears that the accession process might not end up
                    in membership.

"I know many of our citizens have this question of whether they will
                    let us in the EU. For us, the full membership issue is closed. The
                    process from now on is a process of accession," he said. "The clock
                    is ticking down. This (EU membership) will be accomplished sooner
                    or later."

Intellectual enterprise:

Erdogan also called on civil society actors to take the initiative
                    to improve the Turkish economy, scientific research and the capacity
                    for innovation.

The prime minister criticized Turkey's universities for not putting
                    sufficient effort into winning EU funds available in areas of
                    science and research, particularly as part of the EU's 6th Framework
                    agreement, which provides generous funds for scientific projects from
                    participating countries, including Turkey.

"Universities are complaining that they cannot find sufficient
                    funds for research. More than 200 million euros were allocated to
                    finance eligible scientific research projects from Turkey. But our
                    researchers used only 6 percent of this amount and the rest of the
                    money was sent back into the EU budget. Am I the person to account
                    for this?" Erdogan asked.

Comment

Working...
                    X