Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Lively Discussion On Armenian Issue At Turkish Weekly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lively Discussion On Armenian Issue At Turkish Weekly

A LIVELY DISCUSSION ON ARMENIAN ISSUE AT TURKISH WEEKLY
    Baris Sanli

Journal of Turkish Weekly, Turkey
    Sept 22 2005

For those people looking for a lively debate about Armenian Issue,
    Journal of Turkish Weekly(JTW) provided such a medium for it, thanks
    to Maral Der OHANNESIAN & Sedat LACINER. After Mrs. OHANNESIAN's call
    for a duel, Sedat Laciner accepted the invitation and the duo started
    a lively discussion.

The first and the second part of these letters were published on JTW's
    Comments page. The discussions cover a wide range of topics from the
    claims to DNA tests. Mrs. OHANNESIAN will set an example for both
    Armenian politicians and people with her courage and her willingness
    to discuss this issue. This braveness and firm belief in her version
    of the history will help the two nations to better understand what
    has happened.

The letters can be accessed from:

"All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Der Ohaniesian’s Response To Dr. Laciner ‘s Armenian Letters 5

By Maral Der Ohanesian

For me, your response in whole is out of our discussion subject, that is whether the event of 1915 was Genocide or not, I don’t want to deviate from our original discussion, so let’s stay focused here. Although you are yet to provide the evidences that I asked for to support whatever you have claimed in your previous letter.

There are only few points, I wanted to comment on, and they are as follows:

** The list of churches which, alone, constituted over 50% of your response to my letter, which was really unneeded as the link you provided was enough to make your point, contains not only churches, but schools, cemeteries and other institutions, which None of them except few are in the region of Eastern Turkey (The Historical Six Armenian Vilayets) the area in question, and if you had read my letter carefully you’d know that, it was the area about which I was speaking, and that list only concurred with what I was saying!!

In point “5. Bölge - Anadolu Ermeni Kiliseleri (Churches in Anatolia),” you listed only 8 churches in the region where over 2000 Armenian churches and monasteries situated before 1914, according to the list made by Maghakia Ormanian by the order of the Ottoman Interior Ministry. Well, even if you find that keeping 8 churches out of 2000 is a sign of “Turkish kindness,” I kindly ask you to publish the attached pictures [ http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/4...giragos2pm.jpg ] of one of your listed churches (one of the 5 listed to contain a phone number), Surp Giragos Ermeni Kilisesi. Surp Giragos was one of the largest cathedrals of the Christian world. Today, the ruins of the church serve the “Armenian community” of Diyarbakir, which consists of 10 families (less than 1% that was before 1915). I have attached the picture of Surp Giragos’ bell tower taken before 1914, and a more recent one. Do you know that this is violation of the Versailles treaty, according to which Turkey pledged to protect the Christian monuments?!

** While talking about Cemal, Enver and their friends, you wrote “They made great mistakes, yet I know that they did not make genocide, because they were Turkish.”
    What does that supposed to mean? Excuse me, but are you actually saying that they can’t commit Genocide “just because they are Turks”?!! Are Turks some sort of impeccable or divine race, that doesn’t make mistakes? Please, make sense!!

** One last thing, you kept repeating that “Armenians hate …” Allow me to ensure you, that Armenians do not hate you or any other individual Turk, Armenians have a “Cause,” and this is a Cause for Justice. Justice is what Armenians want, and seeking Justice is Armenians motivator, not hate. it is a grave error and underestimation to simply blame it on hate, and thus you can comfort your conscience for not at least giving the benefit of doubt to the Armenians' demands of Justice, and justify to yourself not trying to find the truth about what had happened, and so simply dismiss the case in whole and continue your life with clear conscience.

Regards,

Maral Der Ohanesian.

Dr. Laciner's letter can be reasd at http://www.turkishweekly.net/comments.php?id=1838

Tuesday , 18 April 2006

Past letters
    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Dr. Sedat Laciner's Response To Der Ohaniesian

Dear Maral,

First of all we do not only discuss the so-called 1915 Genocide. You claim and I do not accept such an insult. We are her to make a meaningful dialogue. The main problem is lack of dialogue. Both sides do not listen to each other and we repeat the same thing here I see no point to exchange letters. If we do not try to understand each other, our letters would only serve to deepen the biases between the two nations.

Churches and Schools

Most of the Armenian churches and schools are in the Western Turkey, because the Armenians live in these regions. There is no point to establish a school in the eastern provinces. As a matter of fact that the Armenians open these schools and churches not the Turkish Government. They have all the right to set up a church or school in any part of Turkey according to the Lausanne Treaty. But they prefer the Western provinces. By the way, there is no historical Armenian Vilayets. All these vilayets (provinces) were home for the Armenians, Kurds and Turks, and the Armenians were not majority in any of them.

You say that I only listed only 8 churches in 5th region. The list is not mine. It is prepared by the Armenian institutions in Turkey. You argue that there was “over 2000 Armenian churches and monasteries situated before 1914” in the region. First of all the 2,000 figure should be questioned. I am not expert on architecture history. I just send the list prepared by the Istanbul Armenians. But of course the number of the schools and churches decreased in time because the Armenians left the region. If there is no Armenian, there is no church or Armenian school. However most of the historical monuments have been preserved and some of them are being visited by the Armenian and other tourists. The Akhdamar is a good example. The $1.5 million restoration of this church is ordered and financed by the Turkish government. I should accept that the governments neglected the historical monuments not only in the east but in the West as well. But the reason was not political I thing. At least we can argue that the political reasons were very limited and the real reason was economic and cultural. Not only the Armenian monuments but also the Turkish and Islamic historic monuments have been neglected for the decades. We hope the policy has dramatically been changed in the recent years. However we cannot see a similar change in Armenia. It is impossible to fin any Azeri mosque in Armenia and occupied territories. There were more than 1 million Azeri Muslims, but the Armenian occupying forces totally destroyed the traces.

We cannot publish the picture you posted due to the technical problems, however we published the address in your letter. And I remind you that you may find more photos like this. Turkey is not a rich country and the situation of the historic Churches or Mosques are not direct result of official policies.

It is true, I believe in that “Cemal and Enver Pashas made great mistakes, yet I know that they did not make genocide, because they were Turkish.”

I am not racist and I do not think that the Turkish race is greater than the others. However, the Turkish nation is a mixture of the Central Asian and Balkan races. Turkey was and is an immigrant countries and it has been more multi-national than the U.S. is. Compare the modern Turks in Anatolia with the Central Asian Turks and you would realize the differences. No Anatolia Turk could claim that he or she is a pure Turkish. ‘Turkish nation’ is a name of a civilization, more than a race.

You should be racist to make a genocide and you cannot find a suitable groud for racism in Turkey.

Another factor is religion. Islam does not allow people to destroy a nation or race just because of their race. If Cemal and Enver were Turkish, they had no capability to commit genocide.

Armenian Hate

Yes many Armenians hate the Turks though they had never met with Turk and they had never been to Turkey. You are talking about ‘Cause of Justice’. Actually you are talking about a ‘Revenge’.

The Armenian militants ask eastern and south eastern Turkey to fulfill this ‘Cause of Justice’. They ask billions of dollars and humiliation of the Turkish nation. I mean your Cause is not so innocent and idealistic. I understand you, but thanks.

Regards
      Dr. Sedat Laciner
      18 April 2006

Tuesday , 18 April 2006
      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Working...
      X