Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkish Historian Halil Berktay - recent Interview (excerpts) - Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No thats irrelevant to what I say.

I had never heard of 10,000 before. If it was true it wouldnt make any change at all. As I said before perceptions played a role in this event. It was a pre-emptive measure according to army and CUP.Either us or them perception.

And the perception was the Armenian revolutionaries were to destabilize Eastern Anatolia to make Russian job easy(Antranik Pasha is just one example), depopulate eastern Anatolia and populate only with Armenians. Examples of Bitlis Mus and Van is obvious, the Russians cleared those areas from Turks/Kurds.

I dont know about 10,000 number. As I understand Berktay says that only Armenians(of Anatolian origin) killed 10,000 Turks/Kurds. Turks say every civilian or soldier killed by French, British and Russian forces is shared by Armenians(The ppolitical parties and revolutionaries). You cant say a match is not capable of burning a house or a forest. You cant just say 10,000 at least thats what the official Turkish stand point is. I just wanted to clarify this. And by this I am not argueing anything, just wanted to clarify the official Turkish stand point.

Originally posted by 1.5 million
    OK let us accept Berktays figures for a moment - (at least) 600,000 Armenians killed versus 10,000 Turks - and Berktay also makes it clear that he believes the majority of the Turks killed were killed after the genocide period in Armenian reprisals...so with these figures accepted are you still trying to tell Armenains that they should be sympathetic in regards to Turksih losses/suffering - that you see as comensurate...and that this "so-called" Armenian rebellion or Armenians killings of Turks or what have you sufficiently justifies - in any manner - the actions taken against them led by the CUP?

Comment

OK TurQ - I understand your argument here concerning attitudes (still I think you are also attempting to play the "numbers game" which is a straw man denialist tactic BTW) - but OK - let us accept that in some way the presence/existance or suspected/imagined existance of Armenian revolutionaries or Armenian bandits/gangs what have you facotred into the CUP attitudes (along with the experience that such nationalist faction among other ethnicities played roles in their ability to break away from ottomans_ etc - OK. So let us say we accept this contention. That because (at least in part) that CUP members feared that Armenians in the east may have been acting or might potentially act to destabzlize the front to the benefit of the Russians..then OK - you will fill in the blank now - the ______________ actions taken by the CUP can be justified AND I challenge you to then prove that in no way can the actions that were taken not be considered as Genocide in light of the fact that they acted on their suspicions and/or paranoia - etc - Now is this really the point you are trying to make? Even though you deny such - this comes accross as the point you are making. So you say you are familiar with Berktay's position - well you have not really commented on it. If he accepts that it is Genocide -and he is a Turkish historian who is clearly familiar with all elements of the Turkish side of the argument (you would agree no?) - and he clearly has studied this issue - and he fully accepts that it is a Genocide (even being sensitive to the word and to Turkish reaction to use of this word ) - but he says - without hesitation: "It fits the clauses of the 1948 UN convention comprehensively, and in that light, if we are permitted to take those categorizations and apply them to an event that occured 33 years earlier, then we have to say, “Yes, it was genocide”. - then why I ask do you still continue to avoid this acknowledgement - just whjat can be your rational? Unless it is adherence to the Turkish line - and that you somehow either really do blame the victims (in the case the Armenians and provably only the Armenians) or that you accept these Turkish justifications (could you ever agree that killing or attempting to kill all memebers of a particualr race/ethnicity can be justified for any reason?) - If not what is it - are you denying that these killings etc of Armenains ever took place? I can't understand your reluctance...because Armenians wont make protest to the Russians for their deporting Circassians? Just what is your issue?

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
        Examples of Bitlis Mus and Van is obvious, the Russians cleared those areas from Turks/Kurds.
        I won't argue that the Russians/Cossaks didn't do some terrible things to Muslims in areas that (briefly or otherwise) came under their control - however it is entirely incorrect to contend that these areas were "cleared" of Turks/Kurds...evidence points to large numbers of Turks/Kurds living in these regions throughout this period and for the most part they were unmolested (and were in control of these areas) - in fact eyewitnesses report that Turks/Kurds were slughtering literally tens to hunreds of thousands of Armenains in these very areas - with Harput Province aquiring the name "Slaughterhouse Province). Were Turks/Kurds killed here to? Do I say you are lying - no I do not - some tradgedies did happen for Turks it is true - but regardless of individual tradgedy - such as with yoru family - the overwhelming evidence clearly shows that the area was completley cleansed of Armenians and we have a gret deal of evidence of massive crimes against them - while after those times the arewa was well populated by Turks and Kurds and continues to be...

Comment

During Russian occupation those areas were cleared off from Turks/Muslims, the ones who couldnt escape they were butchered by Russians, the rest escaped and returned back after the Russian retreat. If Russians had stayed in those regions today there wont be any Turk/Kurd there.

Harput, or other inner Anatolian events are due to preemptive measures as I said before. IF the Russian would have reach Elazig or Malatya same things would happen in those areas. Russians were using Armenian existence for their strategy. Depopulate those areas from muslims that they occupy let Armenians rule there. This was their policy, CUP policy was to reverse this.
          This is not to justify any event or anything

I won't argue that the Russians/Cossaks didn't do some terrible things to Muslims in areas that (briefly or otherwise) came under their control - however it is entirely incorrect to contend that these areas were "cleared" of Turks/Kurds...evidence points to large numbers of Turks/Kurds living in these regions throughout this period and for the most part they were unmolested (and were in control of these areas) - in fact eyewitnesses report that Turks/Kurds were slughtering literally tens to hunreds of thousands of Armenains in these very areas - with Harput Province aquiring the name "Slaughterhouse Province). Were Turks/Kurds killed here to? Do I say you are lying - no I do not - some tradgedies did happen for Turks it is true - but regardless of individual tradgedy - such as with yoru family - the overwhelming evidence clearly shows that the area was completley cleansed of Armenians and we have a gret deal of evidence of massive crimes against them - while after those times the arewa was well populated by Turks and Kurds and continues to be...

Comment

This is not to justify any event or anything
            OK you say that - and I'm sorry to be harsh - but I am going to keep pushing you - you have to understand that...

Premptive measures...yes - CUP feared that Constantinople would fall and that Anatolia might soon be occupied...so all Armenians must be killed ro driven away - yes? Not just in the east and don't fool yourself to believe this - because iot was not - there was no military rational or necessity -truly - and even the CUP did not believe this - regardless of what you might think - this was a political decision - the decison to depopulate Anatolia of Armenains (and later all Christians) - so there would be no question in the future of anyone but Turks owning the place or having rights or grievances etc - you are agreeing with this yes? BTW - so what was done is the very definition of Genocide - I hope you realize this.

Comment

Part of why Turks left these areas in advance of the Russians was the rumours spread by Turks themselves (perhaps not without merit due to expericnes in Balkans, N Caucuses and elsewhere and the presence of refugees from these places) - however to accuse Russians of cleansing theseplaces - when in fact it was a refugge tide that left then sweapt back in after Turks reclaimed the area - is not the same thing as if the Russians actually killed everyone there (even if we might suppose that they would - and perhaps this is debatable at least in part) - but no matter - the key thing though is that Armenains were not killing anyone in these places really (OK a few here and there - but really now - do you have any comprehension of what Armenains had been goping thorugh in that regions for the preceeding generations?)

Comment

Rumours? Those people knew pretty well what Russians want to do.
                What they had done to Circisians were obvious. Even by fall of 1914 they started clearing off border villiages and towns in Kars etc. Depopulate those villages and towns give them to Armenian control. They consistently pursued this ethnic cleansing in the areas they have reached.

Russian aim was to reach medeterrenian coasts, so this policy of demographically cleansing Turks and Muslims on this path(from KArs to Adana) was obvious. Thats why most of the massacres of Armenians occured east of the line connecting Kars/Trabzon to Adana.

Hopefully Russian and French/British interests collided in caucusia(with british) and south/southeast with French. This relieved Ottoman forces. After some point both sides had some skepticism towards Armenians(that worked against Armenians), even revlutionaries were expelled by Russians later(Erzurum born Antranik was kicked from Russian Army).

Part of why Turks left these areas in advance of the Russians was the rumours spread by Turks themselves (perhaps not without merit due to expericnes in Balkans, N Caucuses and elsewhere and the presence of refugees from these places) - however to accuse Russians of cleansing theseplaces - when in fact it was a refugge tide that left then sweapt back in after Turks reclaimed the area - is not the same thing as if the Russians actually killed everyone there (even if we might suppose that they would - and perhaps this is debatable at least in part) - but no matter - the key thing though is that Armenains were not killing anyone in these places really (OK a few here and there - but really now - do you have any comprehension of what Armenains had been goping thorugh in that regions for the preceeding generations?)

Comment

Thats why most of the massacres of Armenians occured east of the line connecting Kars/Trabzon to Adana
                  This is just untrue - did you read my post concerning the Yozgat trials for instance? Was there ever any danger of the Russians reaching this far? etc

You still are justifying. This is dispointing.

And while I will not apologize for the Russians actions/behaviors - you are exaggerating - unlike Anatolia - where there are no Armenians left - none - there are plenty of Turks and Muslims - from Caucuses eastward - and Russians did not clear them out. Russians acted against what they percieved as Muslims who would not submit to their rule. If these Muslim groups accepted Russian domination there was no problem. Again though I will not defend against what atrocities Russians did commit. However you cannot compare or use as justification Russian actiosn for those commited against Armenains by the CUP/Ottomans?Turks - and Armenians from throughout Anatolia were targeted and destroyed and the military escuse/justification had absolutly zero basis.

Comment

Why are you guys arguing about numbers? It's not the number that makes it genocide it's the outcome. Almost all of the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire was wiped out, which under the definition, is called genocide. 600 thousand, 1 million, or 5 million, doesn't make much difference, the outcome was genocide.

Comment

OK here is an exerpt from a yr 2000 interview with Berktay

`Armenians were killed by a special organization'
                      An interview with Turkish historian Halil Berktay
                      regarding the Armenian Genocide;
                      Translated from Turkish exclusively for ANN/Groong
                      Originally published in "Radikal" newspaper on October 9, 2000

Turkish original available on internet at http://www.radikal.com/tr/2000/10/09/insan/erm.shtml

At that time there were 1 million and 750 thousand Armenians living in
                      Eastern Anatolia. (my note - this figure is for Eastern Anatolia only - not Anatolia/Ottoman Empire at large) The deportation order issued by the ruling military triumvirate was drawn up so as to include all the Armenians in the region, without exception. These things are documented in writing. There was no mention of massacres or slaughter. The provincial governors and garrison commanders were directed to deport the Armenians to the region south of Turkey's current borders. However, it's clear that, in addition to these official orders, separate, non-written orders were given to the most
                      rapacious members of the `Teskilat-i Mahsusa' (`Special Organization'),
                      who worshipped violence and were not bound by adherence to any normal moral code.

For the Armenians to be killed?

Yes. Historian Taner Akcam has demonstrated this in a very sound way.
                      There was on the one hand a legal decision and implementation, and on the
                      other another mechanism entirely that proceeded in an illegal manner.
                      How many Armenians died during the deportations?
                      At least 600 thousand.

How did they die? Who killed them?

Those who issued these orders had them carried out via a special
                      organization, the Teskilat-i Mahsusa.. Think of it as a combination of the
                      forces involved in the recent Susurluk scandal and the Turkish Hizballah
                      organization. It is clear that Bahaettin Sakir, who operated as the
                      Teskilat-i Mahsusa's man for Enver, Cemal, and Talat, set up death squads in
                      the region.
                      Some of these people were convicted criminals who were saved from the gallows and released from prison just to carry out such
                      activities.. Do you know what types of people carried out these crimes? It
                      was the equivalent of today's `Yesil', Abdullah Catli, and the Turkish
                      Hizballah organization. The whole affair is that simple and clear.
                      Bahaittin was just like today's `Yesil' or Catli. In addition to them,
                      Turkish and Kurdish tribes also attacked the convoys of Armenians being
                      deported. In addition to these actual massacres, there were the terrible
                      losses caused by the deportations carred out in appalling conditions of
                      deprivation
                      . Everywhere in the Western world, there are photographs of these incidents which we can't bear to look at. The first time I encountered
                      these visual records, I cried and could hardly breathe for several minutes.
                      They are no different from the images of the concentration camps, or the
                      massacres in Africa. For there are huge numbers of people in these
                      pictures
                      Well, didn't the Ottoman state try and punish those officials found guilty
                      of the deaths of Armenians?

Of course. These massacres were not the work of the regular Ottoman army and bureaucracy. Historically, in such situations, the regular army and
                      bureaucracy hate and despise those `special teams' and gangs that carry out
                      such deeds. We can see that the Ottoman army and bureaucracy understood just how terrible a thing this was , that they were repelled at the `special
                      teams' set up independently of the governors and garrison commanders, and
                      that there were even governors and commanders who issued an arrest order for Enver and Talat's man Bahaettin Sakir in 1915-16 and tried to capture him.

Did the Ottoman leaders make any statements to defend themselves?

The Ottoman regular army and state bureaucracy, both as a result of the
                      repugnance it felt toward these events and in order to clear themselves
                      before the rest of the world, tried as best it could to capture, try, and
                      punish those responsible for this disaster. And there were definitely those
                      who were punished. After the end of the war in 1918 and the Ottoman defeat
                      and subsequent flight of Enver, Cemal, and Talat, who were the primary ones
                      responsible, the parliament (Meclis-i Mebusan) established an investigatory
                      commission just for this purpose. There was later a military trial in
                      Istanbul. This was a famous trial. Books on it have been published in
                      English and Turkish.

What were the losses of the Muslim population in that area during this same
                      period?

They may be 10,000 or 20,000
                      . (ny note: elsewhere i have seen him say "no more then 10,000) But it's not a question of `They only killed a
                      few, and the Ottomans killed a lot'. The issue is as follows: The
                      activities of the Armenian guerrilla bands were generally localized,
                      small-scale, and isolated
                      . But for hundreds of thousands to die, there would have to be a population of this size, which couldn't be attained merely by wandering around the villages and hamlets. In addition, it's deceptive to
                      turn the matter into a question as to whether or not Enver and Talat Pasha
                      gave a written order to the `Yesil' or Catli of the day. They never did so,
                      and no such document will ever be found. In this regard, the witnesses of
                      the day are extremely important. There is a huge body of eyewitness
                      accounts and visual material concerning the Armenian incidents that never
                      reaches the Turkish public. Turkish public opinion is essentially ignorant
                      of what the people of Germany, England, France, and America see and read

Comment

Working...
                      X