Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkey drops case against writer Orhan Pamuk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey drops case against writer Orhan Pamuk

By Selcuk Gokoluk

ANKARA (Reuters) - A Turkish court dropped a controversial case against best-selling author Orhan Pamuk for insulting Turkish identity after the justice ministry said it had no authority to try him, CNN Turk TV said on Sunday.

Ruling on a case that has been condemned by the European Union, the justice ministry told Istanbul's Sisli court it had had no authority under the revised penal code to pursue the trial.

Pamuk was charged under article 301 of the new penal code, which forbids insulting the Turkish identity, after he said in a Swiss newspaper interview that no one dared discuss the massacre of a million Armenians in Turkey during World War One.

The EU had said the case raised concerns over freedom of speech in Turkey as it seeks to win EU membership by demonstrating its commitment to European values.

The Istanbul court adjourned Pamuk's trial shortly after it began on December 16 and asked the justice ministry for a legal opinion on whether he could be tried under the new penal code.

Pamuk made the remarks last February, before the new penal code came into force. The court decided to drop the case following the statement from the ministry, CNN Turk said.

Discussing the killings of Armenians in World War One is highly sensitive in Turkey. Ankara rejects charges that Ottoman forces committed genocide against Armenians, but under EU pressure has called historians to debate the issue.

If convicted Pamuk, 53, could have faced up to three years in jail, although similar prosecutions in the past have more often resulted in fines, acquittals or reprieves.

Pamuk is one of dozens of writers and scholars facing charges brought by state prosecutors for insulting Turkish identity, state institutions and the revered founder of the republic, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

The author of best-sellers "My Name is Red", "Black Book" and "Snow", Pamuk is seen as a Nobel Literature Prize contender.

His novels deal with the clash between past and present, East and West, secularism and Islam -- problems at the heart of Turkey's modernization.
    Pamuk, his publisher and lawyers were not available for comment.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False

see Turkey is not like you making it out to be

Arabic is a Language, Persian is a sweetmeat, Turkish is an Art. (Old Persian proverb)

Yes, Turkey is exactly what we think it is. The only reason the man is still breathing is because of the EU.

Comment

Well, I am happy for Orhan Pamuk, but sad that this will take the spotlight off of Turkey's disgusting Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code. I feel that the only reason Orhan Pamuk was let off (which I predicted not too long ago) is that he is famous. It is a high profile case, in which a very well known person was unjustly tried. Now that his case is dropped, Turkey can resume trying numerous other, less known intellectuals, without being noticed. They have just taken Section 301 off of the EU radar by dropping the Pamuk case. It's really a double edged sword.

If I had to try to dig deep enough to find something positive here, it'd be this:

If you are very well known or famous, you might be able to speak of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey without being prosecuted (although your life will probably be miserable for a very long time, thanks to disgusting Turkish nationalism).

Just my opinion

Comment

Well, then it should be a goal of the Armenian Diaspora to bring dissentors in Turkey to fame.

Comment

Being famous is the reason why this case was opened against Orhan Pamuk.
          There is an anti-EU coalition in Turkey. Accusing such a famous person will derail Turkish application to EU. Actually Orhan Pamuk is comfortable with this, he got more populaarity in West. He is not a man of ideology. He is good writer, yes. He is talented yes. These are ok but he is not idealogically oriented. He is a man of publicity. He is a celebrity. I wouldnt invested on him much if I were you guys.
          There are lots of people saying more severe things compared with Pamuk.
          Do you know any cases opened against Fatma Muge? Do you know any cases opened(recently) for Taner Akcam? But recently a case has been opened against a Dutch parlimenter, who commented may be less severe claims than Pamuk, and even some constructive criticisms. As I understand a case is about to be opened against him, why? BEcause opening such cases will have the potential to derail the EU process(everybody know nothing will happen after this cases, including Pamuk case everybody knew he wont be indicted).

Pamuk is more popular, EU is more skeptic about Turkish application, so everybody is comfortable and pleased. Case is CLOSED. Full stop.

You guys have to learn more about Turkish politics..

Originally posted by Hovik
          Well, I am happy for Orhan Pamuk, but sad that this will take the spotlight off of Turkey's disgusting Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code. I feel that the only reason Orhan Pamuk was let off (which I predicted not too long ago) is that he is famous. It is a high profile case, in which a very well known person was unjustly tried. Now that his case is dropped, Turkey can resume trying numerous other, less known intellectuals, without being noticed. They have just taken Section 301 off of the EU radar by dropping the Pamuk case. It's really a double edged sword.

If I had to try to dig deep enough to find something positive here, it'd be this:

If you are very well known or famous, you might be able to speak of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey without being prosecuted (although your life will probably be miserable for a very long time, thanks to disgusting Turkish nationalism).

Just my opinion

Comment

TurQ - the issue isn't about Pamuk at all - its about the idiocy of your nation.

Comment

I have commented on Pamuk.
              That post was about Pamuk and his case. I thought you would think that Pamuk was a hero, and he is being silenced etc. It is other way around. He is made more vocal, on purpose. And you think it is about the Armenians,but no. Both Pamuk and the state does not give s..t for Armenians. Pamuk begs for more publicity(may be nobel next year). He knows how to attrack attention. He is happy now he got what he needed. The anti-EU guys got what they needed.

Recent attempt to release Mehmet Ali Agca, Pamuk and Dink cases.These are efforts to derail EU application
              Your attempts are just helping out anti-EU groups in Turkey.
              good luck what can I say? and good luck with your fake heros.

I know the issue very well, we live in it.
              Your problem is you think whole nation is just one and uniform.

Originally posted by 1.5 million
              TurQ - the issue isn't about Pamuk at all - its about the idiocy of your nation.

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
                Your problem is you think whole nation is just one and uniform.
                Wrong - your problem is assuming you know what I know and what I think.

BTW - you rarely post anything I am not already aware of - even concerning the politics and social currents within your nation. Too bad really...

Anyway - what attempts - on my part - are you refering to - that are afectng anti-EU (and why should I care anyway?)

And who ever said pamuk was my hero or such or that I am expecting anything from anyone over there...I did say the issue wasn't Pamuk - it is your pathetic and comical twisted little nation...good luck...what can I say?

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
                  I have commented on Pamuk.
                  That post was about Pamuk and his case. I thought you would think that Pamuk was a hero, and he is being silenced etc. It is other way around. He is made more vocal, on purpose. And you think it is about the Armenians,but no. Both Pamuk and the state does not give s..t for Armenians. Pamuk begs for more publicity(may be nobel next year). He knows how to attrack attention. He is happy now he got what he needed. The anti-EU guys got what they needed.
                  I want everyone to witness the above commentary. The typicity of it (for a Grey Wolf that is) - understand what I am saying about this TurQ character now. He is not in the least interested in reaching any truth or understanding. Nor does he have any empathy what so ever with the issue of the murder of 1.5 million Armenians and the snuffing of our nation - by TURKS/TURKEY! (stand tall - be proud - be a blind nationalist who defends the worst murderers and criminals of humanity...just the price others must pay - for continued Turkish dominance, wealth and power...)

And no - he is not a good guy - and if I thought so before I was highly mistaken. Instead of understanding the real fundemental issue and being critical of his nation's backwardness and anti-human rights orientation - prosecuting a person for (inocently or otherwise - who cares - is there really a point you are making?) stating such basic truths - becuse they are inconvienient to the Turkish State - because it does not fit in with their idea of State brainwashing of the population (concepts clearly supported by TurQ) - instead of addressing these real issues - he goes on the attack against Pamuk. He takes issue with pamuk - ooooo - he is insulting our great nation etc - He is looking for his own glory...well - this tactic is typical for your type TurQ - we've seen it many times before - I have not forgotten the manner in which Tanar Akam was personally attacked - versus digesting his very worthwhile and relevant message. No - instead you and those like you attcka nyone who steps out of line if the status quo - and dares to suggest that there might be views/perspectives other then the Turkish party line or that indeed Turkey may have done wrong...pathetic - and your (grey wolf) colors are showing through most clearly my friend...

Comment

Yeah...."good luck what can I say? and good luck with your fake heros." You are living it my friend - it must make you all choked up and proud inside...my don't you wish all nations could be so enlightened and all peoples so respected?

Comment

Working...
                    X